PDA

View Full Version : Character build

Ironmanactual
2015-05-25, 04:54 AM
Start off with a couple statements:
1. I do not know where to place this so if I'm in the wrong area please at me know.
2. I am NOT going for optimization, this is purely for a roleplaying aspect.
3. I have acces to all printed sources and can potentially swing the DM to go for online sources including home brew stuff.

The build:
Rogue 9/Sorcerer 6/Master of Masks 5

So the concept of this class is to make like a con artist/bluff and disguise type guy. The Master of the Masks is a 5 level prestige class found online.

Just want your thoughts and any ideas on what you guys think and how you might change it up a bit.

2015-05-25, 05:04 AM
Start off with a couple statements:
1. I do not know where to place this so if I'm in the wrong area please at me know.
2. I am NOT going for optimization, this is purely for a roleplaying aspect.
3. I have acces to all printed sources and can potentially swing the DM to go for online sources including home brew stuff.

The build:
Rogue 9/Sorcerer 6/Master of Masks 5

So the concept of this class is to make like a con artist/bluff and disguise type guy. The Master of the Masks is a 5 level prestige class found online.

Just want your thoughts and any ideas on what you guys think and how you might change it up a bit.

Firstly, the only "Master of Masks" PrC that I know of is the Complete Scoundrel version, and that's a 10 level PrC. Secondly, I'd probably suggest going straight Bard prior to entering Master of Masks, with maybe a dash of Rogue near the beginning, if you're so inclined. Still, your build seems alright...it's not incredibly optimized, but if you don't mind that, it's alright.

Tiri
2015-05-25, 06:01 AM
He's referring to the considerably-more-powerful dandwiki version. It can be found here: http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Master_of_Masks_(3.5e_Prestige_Class)

prufock
2015-05-25, 06:42 AM
D&D Wiki seems to be down at the moment, but I've long thought MoM needs to be a 5-level class, and homebrewed my own version of it. One mask per level, full casting progression (or maybe lose 1 CL at first level), and condensed list of other class abilities.

nedz
2015-05-25, 06:58 AM
The classic build for this is
Changeling Rogue 1 / Beguiler 4 / Unseen Seer 10 / X5
Where you use the Changeling Rogue ACF to dump Trapfinding for more skill points and skill mastery in interpersonal skills. Beguiler also gives you Trapfinding, and has better skills than Sorcerer. Sorcerer does give you a wider range of spells though there are ways to broaden Beguiler.
Changelings get a (Su) version of disguise self.

So why not go ?
Changeling Rogue 1 / Beguiler 4 / Master of Masks 5 / Unseen Seer 10
After all you get to enter your chosen PrC earlier.

I can see that you might want Rogue 2 for evasion or to switch to Sorcerer — whatever.

(Un)Inspired
2015-05-25, 10:07 AM
Firstly, the only "Master of Masks" PrC that I know of is the Complete Scoundrel version, and that's a 10 level PrC. Secondly, I'd probably suggest going straight Bard prior to entering Master of Masks, with maybe a dash of Rogue near the beginning, if you're so inclined. Still, your build seems alright...it's not incredibly optimized, but if you don't mind that, it's alright.

The classic build for this is
Changeling Rogue 1 / Beguiler 4 / Unseen Seer 10 / X5
Where you use the Changeling Rogue ACF to dump Trapfinding for more skill points and skill mastery in interpersonal skills. Beguiler also gives you Trapfinding, and has better skills than Sorcerer. Sorcerer does give you a wider range of spells though there are ways to broaden Beguiler.
Changelings get a (Su) version of disguise self.

So why not go ?
Changeling Rogue 1 / Beguiler 4 / Master of Masks 5 / Unseen Seer 10
After all you get to enter your chosen PrC earlier.

I can see that you might want Rogue 2 for evasion or to switch to Sorcerer — whatever.

You guys are giving out optimization advice when he asked for "a roleplaying aspect" based advice.

To that end, I would recommend using a fake name and trying to cheat npcs out of their money. Avoid attempts at coning party members and maybe think up some destinctive character quirks.

nedz
2015-05-25, 12:09 PM
You guys are giving out optimization advice when he asked for "a roleplaying aspect" based advice.

To that end, I would recommend using a fake name and trying to cheat npcs out of their money. Avoid attempts at coning party members and maybe think up some destinctive character quirks.

Hmm, well I was going to cry Stormwind.

Besides: he did present a build rather than a character background :smallsigh:

(Un)Inspired
2015-05-25, 12:19 PM
Hmm, well I was going to cry Stormwind.

Besides: he did present a build rather than a character background :smallsigh:

No one's saying that you can't do awesome Roleplaying and optimize. The OP simply stated that he's personally only interested in roleplay advice.

Crazysaneman
2015-05-25, 01:19 PM
I have never played a Master of Masks, but I have this idea for one... Bear with me.

Changeling or Shifter Rogue/Beguiler/Master of Masks
Each mask represents one of his victims or someone he slighted, and each campaign related (IE Dungeon boss, someone he cheated, etc...). Each mask is a burden he carries and a distinctive aspect of his personality he has to cope with or otherwise come to terms with. For example, as a generally good guy robbing a grave for an item relevant to a quest his next mask will take on the tone and personality that corpse had in life. Imagine the guy in the grave was a despot bent on achieving immortality, the mask could represent the baser fear man has of death, or the desperation of a dying man. Those parts of humanity would be dominant aspects of his personality while he wore that mask, leading to all kinds of roleplay potential.

The idea is to have a character with dissociative identity disorder that actively plays differently based on the aspect exuded from the masks he wears.
I dunno, always seemed like fun to me.

nedz
2015-05-25, 01:46 PM
No one's saying that you can't do awesome Roleplaying and optimize. The OP simply stated that he's personally only interested in roleplay advice.

Did you note the title of the thread ?:smallamused:

Karl Aegis
2015-05-25, 02:41 PM
What does a con artist / bluff and disguise type guy actually do at level 20? What are you even supposed to do, rip off your shirt, declare yourself the Sorcerer King and demand people buy your dudely wares?

(Un)Inspired
2015-05-25, 04:18 PM
Did you note the title of the thread ?:smallamused:

Sure.

The OP wants us to help build up a persona for a character. The term character build can be interpreted multiple ways and his first post indicated that he intended it to refer to purely roleplay build help.

nedz
2015-05-25, 05:54 PM
Sure.

The OP wants us to help build up a persona for a character. The term character build can be interpreted multiple ways and his first post indicated that he intended it to refer to purely roleplay build help.

Well maybe you're right, but that's not how I read the first post.