PDA

View Full Version : Cleric Druid diminish PEACH

Marcotic
2007-04-21, 11:07 PM
I wanted to make clerics and Druids less able to fill the main melleists role, or rather I wanted to make mellee classes be the only ones that could fufill that role. To that end, here are some house rules Im' planning on implementing in an upcomming champain. Please tell me if I made the classes unbearable by mistake, point out obvious flaws in my modifications, or suggest new ones.
Note also that I am not taking anything outside of core into consideration under the assumtion that anything outside of core will be under my review as a DM.

Class- Cleric
Weak Fort Save
No Heavy Armor Proficiency

Divine Power
Evocation
Level: Clr 4, War 4
Components: V, S, DF
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Personal
Target: You
Duration: 1 round/2 levels
Calling upon the divine power of your patron, you imbue yourself with strength and skill in combat. Your base attack bonus becomes equal to your character level (which may give you additional attacks), you gain a +6 enhancement bonus to Strength. You gain no HP bonus

Righteous Might
Transmutation
Level: Clr 5, Strength 5
Components: V, S, DF
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Personal
Target: You
Duration: 1 round/2 level (D)
This spell causes you to grow, doubling your height and multiplying your weight by 8. This increase changes your size category to the next larger one, and you gain a +4 size bonus to Strength and a +2 size bonus to Constitution. You gain +1 increase in natural armor. You gain damage reduction 2/evil (if you normally channel positive energy) or damage reduction 2/good (if you normally channel negative energy). At 12th level this damage reduction becomes 4/evil or 4/good, and at 15th level it becomes 6/evil or 6/good (the maximum). Your size modifier for AC and attacks changes as appropriate to your new size category. This spell doesn’t change your speed. Determine space and reach as appropriate to your new size.
If insufficient room is available for the desired growth, you attain the maximum possible size and may make a Strength check (using your increased Strength) to burst any enclosures in the process. If you fail, you are constrained without harm by the materials enclosing you— the spell cannot crush you by increasing your size.
All equipment you wear or carry is similarly enlarged by the spell. Melee and projectile weapons deal more damage. Other magical properties are not affected by this spell. Any enlarged item that leaves your possession (including a projectile or thrown weapon) instantly returns to its normal size. This means that thrown weapons deal their normal damage (projectiles deal damage based on the size of the weapon that fired them).
Multiple magical effects that increase size do not stack.

Class- Druid
Weak Fort Save
No medium armor proficiency
Remove spot from list of skills

Wild Shape-
No magic items can be used while wild shaping, with the exception of wild armor. You are considered wearing armor in every sense, accepting all bonuses and penalties that would apply regularly, but the armor itself cannot be seen. Every thing else is as per Errata.

Animals that are familiar enough to emulate using wild shape:
You must succeed a knowledge check of the given animal, and then you must successfully use Wild Empathy to bring the animal into the “friendly” attitude. Finally you must study the animal for at least 10 minutes.

The Animal Companion.
An Animal companion never increases in size due to gaining HD.
An animal companions BAB can never exceed it’s master druid’s.
If your animal companion dies or you decide to release it, you lose the ability to cast druid spells until a new animal companion is acquired. You must locate the target animal in the wild, and succeed a wild empathy check to make the animal friendly to initiate the 24-hour process.

Natural Spell-
Same as before except each spell cast in Wild shape reduces the amount of remaining wild shape time by 2 hours per spell level. You may not use a spell if you do not have sufficient time remaining.

Mithral counts as armor of one category lighter for all things EXCEPT armor proficiencies, despite The Sage’s suggestion

Matthew
2007-04-21, 11:24 PM
I wouldn't bother restricting Armour Proficiency, as all it means is that you will find more Clerics in Mithral Full Plate and Druids in Darkwood(?). It's a gut reaction to limit Armour Proficiency, but it barely impacts on the effectiveness of these Base Classes.

The other changes seem quite sensible to me, though I would probably go further.

Marcotic
2007-04-22, 02:39 AM
Mithral counts as armor of one category lighter for all things EXCEPT armor proficiencies, despite The Sage’s suggestion

Thanks, go farther how? I was originally thinking reducing HD, maybe even BAB, but I didn't want to make the classes so unfun that no one would play em', I just wanted to incapacitate their ability to fufill the a role that, IMO should only be filled by a detecated martial character (HP and AC being the most important)

Closet_Skeleton
2007-04-22, 04:09 AM
To that end, here are some house rules Im' planning on implementing in an upcomming champain.

You're bringing dnd to the French countryside? Awesome.

Saying only fighters, barbarians and rangers should be able to be decent in melee sounds like unnecesary restriction. I think the problem is more on how little fighters can do then on how much clerics can do.

Marcotic
2007-04-22, 12:17 PM
Saying only fighters, barbarians and rangers should be able to be decent in melee sounds like unnecesary restriction. I think the problem is more on how little fighters can do then on how much clerics can do.
[/QUOTE]
Well, I don't. I don't think that a fighter needs any impovement (at least in combat), but I do think that other classes shouldn't be able to steal his/her nich, hence these alterations.

Matthew
2007-04-22, 04:05 PM
I would probably reduce the Cleric access to Spells, their Power and Slots to cast them from, same for the Druid. Alternatively, have you seen the Cloistered Cleric (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#clericVariantCloistere dCleric) Variant Base Class? The way things are currently set up, Clerics and Druids get too much in the way of Spell Casting and Melee Ability.