PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Unchained's Multiclassing Variant in 5e?

Chaosvii7
2015-05-25, 01:54 PM
Here's a thought. Using the concept of what is essentially "multiclass feats", something thought up a lot in D&D but implement best IMO by the recent release of Pathfinder Unchained, eliminate multiclassing rules as they stand but instead introduce the idea that, instead of taking an ASI or a feat, you gain the benefit of a particular class. You can pick any number of benefits, but they're locked like trees - to get the third ability at level 12 you must get the second at level 8. The abilities would function as the class feature with drawbacks of caveats.

Say a Bard wants to multiclass Paladin for Divine Smite. Instead of a 2-level dip, at level 4 instead of taking a feat or bumping their Charisma they choose to multiclass Paladin and gain Divine Smite, but it only works with spell slots of up to 1/4 their level, with a cap of 5th level spell slots. This would have a few effects that would need their own checks and balances, such as:

Certain spellcasters get benefits at level 1 that solidify their choice. Perhaps multiclassing with said classes grants you the 1st level benefits of your chosen domain/school/patron/origin but nothing more.
Multiclassing with spellcasters is meant to help expand spell selection. With the differentiation between Pact Magic and Spellcasting being the same, let's assume that one of the features of multiclassing expands your spell list out. I'm imagining that this would expand your spell list without granting spells known. It would either happen gradually as it's own ability(this or that, followed by Improved this or that) or be a chart like domain and origin spells.
The regular caveats of multiclassing would apply. Multiple unarmored defense sources do nothing. However, I would consider giving the Fighter's level 12 multiclass feature a stackable extra attack as the sole exception to the rule.
Perhaps non-spellcasters can grant one or two multiclass abilities out of the gate instead of just one, to make multiclassing as a mundane class more appealing.

I'm now interested in seeing if we can make this variant work. That said, feel free to assault me with criticisms or suggestions to help get the ball rolling. I'm feeling strong homebrew potential here, but I thought I'd post in the 5e forum to help get the idea pat down.

Assume that each class can only lend 4 abilities out at a time. What 4 would you have each class lend? What if Mundane classes grant two abilities at level 4 instead of just one? What specificity should we add to certain abilities we lend out? What should be a human limit for a multiclass ability? Should it eventually become as powerful as the regular ability, or should it plateau as being only so good compared to the original?

5e think tank, engage.

Shaofoo
2015-05-25, 04:35 PM
This sounds a lot like the hybrid class in 4e. You could mish mash two different classes into one and then you could spend a feat to get a particular class feature that you'd like.

But as it stands now this sounds horribly broken as is. People talk that Fighter 2 is a must have because of Action Surge is so good so reducing the cost of two levels to a single feat makes it a no brainer. At least multiclassing locks you out of your higher level class features and even your capstone with just a one level investment but this just lets you cherry pick the best at barely any cost and you can have everything that your main class offers.

Look at Martial Adept, for one feat you get a watered down version of the battlemaster with no added scaling bonuses. That is worth a feat to WotC.

The only way this could even work at all is to either give once a short/long rest restrictions (Divine smite is one slot a short rest, Action Surge is once a long rest) or water it down.

Chaosvii7
2015-05-25, 05:22 PM
This sounds a lot like the hybrid class in 4e. You could mish mash two different classes into one and then you could spend a feat to get a particular class feature that you'd like.

But as it stands now this sounds horribly broken as is. People talk that Fighter 2 is a must have because of Action Surge is so good so reducing the cost of two levels to a single feat makes it a no brainer. At least multiclassing locks you out of your higher level class features and even your capstone with just a one level investment but this just lets you cherry pick the best at barely any cost and you can have everything that your main class offers.

Look at Martial Adept, for one feat you get a watered down version of the battlemaster with no added scaling bonuses. That is worth a feat to WotC.

The only way this could even work at all is to either give once a short/long rest restrictions (Divine smite is one slot a short rest, Action Surge is once a long rest) or water it down.

I just finished drafting a lot of the abilities. Most of them either have severely reduced base power(multiclass rogue sneak attack is 1/5 your total level, for a max of 4d6), or are downgraded in use or implementation(multiclass fighter second wind and action surge are both once per day - second wind only heals half your total level). The equivalent of a use per day for some abilities is also worth it's own feat in some cases. A multiclass druid's second Wild Shape of the day comes at 16th level.

Trust me, that's something I'm thinking about right out the gate.