PDA

View Full Version : A Depthless Sorrow IC (A Dungeon World Campaign)

Pages : [1] 2

Megatron46
2015-05-25, 02:23 PM
It has been a long, bitter winter, the cold is penetrating and harsh, but still the town of Blackwater shows a brave face. The festival was a success, many travelled from miles around even in the midst of winter to experience its cheer...some have ended up staying longer than they thought, the deep snow making all but the most determined take up residence, if only temporarily, in the town.
The four of you have become familiar faces over the last few weeks and months, either through your exotic strangeness or your charm and songs or even your little tricks you were known to the populace, but after the raid last week, you are almost household names.
Larger and better organised, this raid came with uncommon frequency after the last. You excelled, some with more flair than others, but you were all noticed!
Mayenne Silverhair knows you by name and by skill now, she has taken your measure and is pleased...although she will keep her eye on Morgan, a close eye.
The sun breaks, a gentle knock on the door of your lodgings brings an invitation, to a late breakfast with Mayor Hardiman...

gremlin-pult
2015-05-25, 03:15 PM
Out of bed and chipper, an hour before anyone else as usual, Xeno receives the invitation with a smile before bounding back towards his friends' bedchambers.
"Everyone, wake up!" He exclaims loudly, rapping merrily on each of the others' doors in turn. "The sun is up, and the mayor wants to eat with us. It's a wonderful day!"
Without waiting for an answer, Xeno bounds back to the common room, and starts putting on his cloak and boots.
"Oooh, I wonder if there'll be pie. I really like pie" He says to himself, before looking over at his old, ragged hat.
"Hmm, I should probably look nice for the mayor..."
With a wide smile, Xeno pulls a napkin from his pocket, wets it, and is soon busily cleaning old stains and grime his hat.
"Scrub-a-dub-dub, Cleaning my hat, as nicely as that..." He sings happily, now and then peering towards the stairs for signs of his friends stirring.

EclecticGuru
2015-05-25, 03:56 PM
Morgan had finished studying her spells for the day (1st: Telepathy, Magic Missile) and had previously ordered a single soft-boiled egg to be delivered to her room for consumption. She tapped it sharply with the edge of her spoon when she heard the abruptly cheerful Xeno flouncing up the hall, shouting. The necromancer set her spoon aside squarely on a neatly folded napkin and pursed her rose-red lips in a moment of irritation -- whether it was toward Xeno's vocal intrusion, or to the Mayor's unwelcome invitation, it was impossible to tell.

Giving up on eating the egg in peace, Morgan took several minutes to put herself together. Black leather body suit laced tight beneath the ornate robes that signified her status as a member of the learned class. She stood before the polished mirror to adjust her hair so that not a single strand was out of place -- each was bound tightly and trained into position.

Not trusting her belongings alone in the room, Morgan gathered her scant possessions up, for what they were worth, and brought them with her, out of the room, down the hall, and to the common room to join the other invited guests.

jaydubs
2015-05-25, 07:33 PM
Castor holds the pillow over his head as the knocking and excited words draw closer. It does no good in shutting out the noise. "Urghhhh...." he moans. "It's too ****ing early for this," he mutters, before rolling himself out of bed and bodily onto the floor. He briefly considers crawling under the mattress and pretending the message had missed him, but the Mayor's been good to him. And it's never good practice snubbing politicians.

A quick wash, a dab of cologne, and Castor gets himself into his outfit - some simple clothes, a suit of well-tailored leather armor (designed for form as much as function), and a slender rapier angled just right to accent the lines of his body.

He stuffs the rest of his meager belonging into his pockets and into the hidden pouches lining his cloak before heading to breakfast. A performer must always be ready to leave on short notice, as Master Rodgerick used to say.

Elbeyon
2015-05-26, 01:25 AM
Jawdat

Macaque (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macaque) nostrils flaring; sweet tendril wisps of breakfast air drive Jawdat's drowsy eyes open. Shortly, nothing more needs to be done to stir the white furred monkey. The morning seems still as most are just sitting for breakfast prior to starting whatever harsh day awaits them. She shakes off whatever snow has collected on her while she slept, and hangs over the Merry Tumble before dropping to the ground after a few leaps.

For weeks now she's been stealing food from a fat man nearby her Inn, a seemingly cheery man and a daughter with a matching disposition. Same as always she squeezes through a weak spot in the thatch into the kitchen where she's making pancakes today. Hopping down where the girl can see her, but the man can't see either, Jawdat waves then dashes under the dinning/kitchen table to hide. The two have set up a game of sorts, where the girl serves her father and afterward the duo try to take as much of his food as they can till he notes how quickly his food has gone. Nearly done playing, her ears perk up as she hears the crunching of snow heading towards the Inn. She waves a pancake filled hand to the girl and disappears outside to make her way back.

Following the bogged down messenger's snowy trail she jumps onto the Merry Tumbler and climbs to try to get an ear on whatever news she brings. After the messenger is gone, she makes her way back down, transforms back into her human form, and waits pancake in hand for her companions to exit the building.

Tired & no filter

gremlin-pult
2015-05-26, 05:05 AM
Xeno smiles brightly as Morgan and Castor trotted Down The stairs. "Good morning!" He said, chuckling slightly. "About time you two sleepyheads got up. Half the day is gone by already. Come on, I bet there's pie at the mayors."
putting his now slightly less dirty hat on, Xeno runs to the door before the others have a chance to answer. "Last one there is a rotten egg." He says as he flings open the door.
he then turns around and spots Jawdat. "Oh, morning Jawie, how'd you get there? I didn't see you lea..." He says with a wide smile, but stops mid-sentence as he spies the pancake in her hand. With the bashful look of a hungry puppy, he stares at the pancake silently.

Megatron46
2015-05-26, 02:13 PM
Jawdat-
The girl giggles at the macaque as it darts away clutching the pancake, her eyes flicking to her father to see if he notices. As you land you glance at the town, he usual people are up early, battling through the new snowfall; up to cut lumber, or hunt or check traps a few nod to you as you wait.
Morgan, Xeno and Castor-
The inn's common room is quiet, a few guests up early, a serving man cleaning the fire and lighting it to provide warmth on the cold day, he looks up and nods at each of you, looking surprised to see Castor up this early. A few guests move around requesting breakfast.
As you head outside you see he thick fresh snowfall and Jawdat waiting for you clutching a pancake. Xeno bounds forward and chats to her.
OOC

You all know the mayor's residence, do you head straight there?

EclecticGuru
2015-05-26, 02:49 PM
Morgan immediately felt the chill of the cold winter air nipping at the tip of her nose, turning the normally pale flesh a bit rosy from the frost. She exhaled sharply, which caused a plume of frosty air to rise up in front of her. Crossing her arms across her robed chest, she petulantly murmured something about wasting no more time.

In a subdued huff, Morgan marched her way through the frost-speckled town, toward the Mayor's residence.

Elbeyon
2015-05-26, 03:16 PM
Jawdat

She blankly looks at his grinning face. "صباح الخير. Good morning."

"And, no. It's a gift." A pancake piece rips off in her mouth. "I still need to pray. I'll join all of you shortly." Resting her hand on Xeno's hat she ruffles his grooming before walking inside.

She'll greet everyone that greets her.

Almost. Jawdat is going to do her morning prayers (~5 minutes) then head straight there.

gremlin-pult
2015-05-26, 03:42 PM
Letting out a huff, Xeno adjusts his hat while doing his very best to look suitably miffed. He can only hold the expression for about a second however, before breaking into a smile and going of to catch up with Morgan.

As he closes in on her, Xeno's eyes fall on the new-fallen snow, and a wide mischiveous grin spreads slowly across his face.
Scooping up a handful of snow, Xeno forms it into a ball while moving up behind Morgan.
When he is about ten feet behind her He flings the snowball, hitting her right in the patch of bare skin on the neck, before rushing past her at full speed, cackling gleefully.
"You should hurry up and get inside. Or more snow might fall on you!" He yells back over his shoulder.
He does not make it more than a few steps, however, before a rock hidden from sight catches his foot, resulting in him landing facedown in the snow with a surprised yelp.

EclecticGuru
2015-05-26, 06:19 PM
THWUMP!

Morgan felt that cold snowball hit her back just hard enough to send her stumbling forward a step. But as it slipped of the bare back of her neck, it left behind a drizzle of half melted slush that began to run down the collar of her robe and slush down her back, all the way down her spine to the concave curve of the small of her back, where it seemed to wait to slowly melt, dribble by dribble, a wickedly devised torture if ever there was one.

But what was even worse. The impact of the blow and Morgan's sudden stumble had set a strand of her shiny black hair loose from her neat updo. Her eyes narrowed, not once looking back at Xeno. She blew that strand of hair back from her nose, and her jaw was clenched as tightly as a paladin's buns.

Megatron46
2015-05-27, 05:02 AM
A small girl giggles behind her hand, first at the snowball, then at Xeno falling face first in the snow. Her mother mutters a quick apology and whisks the girl away scolding her for laughing at some of those who have helped save the town from the goblins.
Mayor Hardiman's messenger has vanished, to escape the cold no doubt, so you head onwards, leaving Jawdat to her prayers, knowing she will catch you up soon enough. The towns folk up and about nod greetings, some call a muffled hello, breath steaming in the cold air. Castor isn't sure but he thinks at least a one person winks and waves at him coquettishly. The sun's light, bright and striking this morning, makes the town seem like a jewel- the mayor will be pleased. In the town square stands a large ornate building, the mayor's residence, warm and welcoming. You cross the square...
As you move across the square, your dark robes flapping you feel a faint tug from outside the town's boundaries- you're not sure as it was very faint but it felt like some necromancy- whether ordained by Openne or not you cannot tell.

As you find a quiet moment to pray, you feel a whisper from the great forest, too quiet to make out but it calls at you, you recognise the touch of Huw but whether it is the presence of the grove or more you are not sure.

The girl who waved and winked at you, you recognise her, but you would swear she wasn't from Blackwater but from another town...

As you walk down the street dusting off your hat and cleaning your face, you keep catching a flicker of movement in the corner of your eye but every time you try to see what it is it slips from your view...

gremlin-pult
2015-05-27, 06:32 AM
Xeno smiles happily as the little girl laughs, delighted to see others in good spirits.
As he walks down the street he waves and says hello to everyone he meets, wishing them well and throwing some more snowballs with some of the children.
As he notices the, whatever it is, in the corner of his eye, he looks curiously to where it was. After this has happened a few more times, he stops with a thoughtful expression.
"Wonder what it is..." He mumbles to himself, rubbing the brim of his hat while pondering.
Walking a few more yards, Xeno stops with the mayors house in sight, and glances back ad forth between it and the last place he glimpsed the mysterious thingy.

"Food..." He says to himself. "...Or adventure?"

After a moments deliberation, Xeno reaches into a pocket in his cloak and rummages around, before pulling out a large, slightly overripe apple. "Food AND adventure." He says with a smile. "This'll tidy me over until I've found the thingy, and gotten back to the mayor's place. I'm sure it'll only take a moment anyway. They won't even notice I'm gone."

With the internal argument settled, Xeno starts walking around in the different places where he thought he saw It.
"Hello?" He calls out softly, while looking under a wagon and behind a bush. "I just wanna talk, I'm not gonna do anything bad. I have an apple, if you want some. I dont mind sharing."

jaydubs
2015-05-27, 07:23 AM
Castor brightens up on catching a glance of the young woman. "Well, I guess there are some benefits to getting out of bed early..." he chimes. He looks towards his companions. "Sorry, one moment. I think I see someone I know. I'll catch up."

He puts on his most winning smile, and starts to walk in her direction, trying hard to remember who she is and how they met.

Megatron46
2015-05-27, 08:10 AM
Xeno
As you search you head to a horse and cart, an alleyway, a statue... but nothing seems to be visible. Whatever it was is either hiding or completely vanished, frustratingly that tell tale flicker is gone.
You could try to Discern Reality if you wanted to, it would taker some time though.
Castor
You head back to where the pretty, dark haired girl waits; next to a busy bakers. As you approach she smiles and slips round a corner out of sight.
If you follow her round the corner there is no sight of her, just a narrow street with two or three people on it.

jaydubs
2015-05-27, 09:47 AM
Castor scratches his head in confusion, and starts to look around the alley. After a bit, he turns to the group of bakers. "Excuse me. Did you see a woman here just a moment ago? Dark hair. About yay tall. Cute." He continues to look around to see where she might have gone.

Discern Realities: [roll0]

gremlin-pult
2015-05-27, 10:07 AM
"Thats weird..." Xeno mumbles to himself, looking around in confusion. After a moments contemplation, he looks around once more, focusing on different things in turn.
"I wonder if its something magical." He says, before renewing his search. this time he starts out with a series of fairly complex gestures, while muttering something in an odd language. Closing his eyes to block out distractions, Xeno concentrates on the ambient energy around him.

I forgot to mention it in earlier posts, but Xeno has prepared sanctuary and detect magic, along with the
cantrips of course. He uses detect magic before searching once more.
So first detect magic, and then discern reality.

Detect magic: [roll0]

discern realities: [roll1]

At Xeno's request, the arcane energies surrounding him gathers in his hands, coalescing as he utters the arcane chant of the spell. When the necessary energies are formed, he lifts his hands towards his closed eyes, lightly touching his eyelids.
Afterwards, he lets his arms fall to his sides, opening his mismatched eyes slowly. They now shine with a faint blue light, revealing any arcane energy to him.
With a slightly woozy stumble, Xeno once more looks around for clues.

Megatron46
2015-05-27, 10:28 AM
Castor
The bakers look at you and shrug, Sorry friend, we didn't notice her... As you search you find nothing, she seems to have given you the slip...or vanished into thin air. However, it has taken a you a few moments, you could keep searching or head to the Mayor's house.

jaydubs
2015-05-27, 10:33 AM
Castor shrugs disappointedly. "Que sera, sera." He dips a courtly bow in the general direction of the alley, and then jogs off after his compatriots.

Megatron46
2015-05-27, 10:36 AM
Xeno
As you cast your spell and open your eyes you see a torrent of magic unseen by all but the arcane. The magic tugs and pulls at you, raw and unchained! You see a spiral of power extended high into the sky, heading towards the mountains to the north before it is cut off abruptly, the magic snuffing out of existence; leaving you drained and battered by the experience.
What should I be on the lookout for?
An opportunity to follow that spiral of magic!

Elbeyon
2015-05-27, 11:02 AM
Jawdat

Her ears perk for the second time today; she stands and listens a while longer. The whispers are too far spiritually or by distance. She gives a thought towards meeting the mayor, but the unimportance of the breakfast let's her dismiss it out of hand. Her feet thunder down the stairs and she says to Obadiah Rumthorn or the first employee she sees, "Tell my companions that I'm heading off to Huw's great forest west of here." She waits to get some type of physical confirmation before quietly opening the inn's door, spear in hand.

Those watching her might get a sense of being disturbed, horrified, or sickly as her transformation into a [roll0] falcon (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peregrine_falcon) happens quicker than can be fully processed. Those lucky (unlucky?) enough to observe her full transformation see twisting flesh, snapping bones, and stretching and tearing skin/feathers. Transformed, she takes flight with the intentions of going over the forest to try listening again.

EclecticGuru
2015-05-27, 01:38 PM
Morgan had paused in the square a moment, after sensing a disturbance in the Void. It was not unlike the chill of the slowly melting drizzle at the small of her back -- only more claw-like. These sensations were commonplace during her apprenticeship, surrounded by such abomination as the youthful necromancer was. They were more rarely felt here, though -- though the sensation was not entirely alien to this place.

Regardless, the revelation was noted, but it was not noteworthy enough to cause a diversion from the more noteworthy invitation to a meal. Noting that the other invitees were scattering in various directions, Mprgan held her scoff deep inside, and instead more productively traveled to the mayor's breakfast meeting, undiverted.

Megatron46
2015-05-27, 03:01 PM
Jawdat
Rumthorn calls out, I'll pass that on mistress, to your speeding form. He calls over a pot boy, get yerself wrapped up and head over to the Mayor's house, tell Mistress Jawdat's friends she be heading to the forest...rather quick too. The boy nods and dashes off.
As your flesh twists and bends into the form of the falcon,a dwarf walking back in from a night's hunting clutching a brace of rabbits and a deer slung over her shoulder, catches sight of the change and balks, her face ashen she mutters to herself and heads home. You must work hard to gain height, no easy thermals to ride on this cold, early morning. You gain altitude and wing your way west, covering the miles towards the great forest. The closer you get the stronger the whispering becomes; now it no longer feels like a gentle breeze, a leaf fluttering through the air; but a gust, branches clashing. You catch..... not words as such but meanings, a sense of what Huw might be saying, a disquiet in the world. You know that if you keep heading towards the forest it will become a raging storm of noise, you may get more meaning but it will not be a safe journey.
Morgan
As you straighten and continue on your way, the feeling fades to nothingness. You approach the door and Castor catches up with you just before you arrive. Xeno is somewhere behind you and Jawdat is nowhere to be seen.

Elbeyon
2015-05-27, 03:36 PM
Jawdat

She shakes her bird head as she's starting to get overwhelmed by the powerful messages given to her. The more intense the message the closer she gets to the ground, ready to land if she's forced. She's no stranger to perilous journeys, and this will just be another she must take. She flies toward the forest at the edge of her view away from safety.

Megatron46
2015-05-27, 04:06 PM
Jawdat-
The snow flashes by beneath your wings, the trees dark against the vast whiteness.
You get closer!
The gust becomes a storm; driving into your mind. Getting louder and louder the voice of your God becomes a roar! The very trees themselves seem to writhe and shift beneath you; the deciduous, the evergreens; dancing to Huw's shout. It threatens to overwhelm you...
OOC

Roll Defy Danger for me

Elbeyon
2015-05-27, 04:18 PM
This seems like a test against "mental fortitude" so I'll roll with wis. Let me know if I should change that.

Defy danger (wisdom) [roll0]

gremlin-pult
2015-05-27, 04:24 PM
Completely taken aback by the sight and sudden shock of the magic, Xeno falls backward, landing hard on the ground.
He sits there for a while, simply staring wide-eyed in the direction of the magical fluxuation.

Suddenly he shakes his head violently, surging to his feet and running as fast as they can carry him towards the mayors house.
"MOOORGAAAN!" He yells as loudly as he can. "We've got trouble!"

EclecticGuru
2015-05-27, 05:21 PM
Morgan's hand gripped the ornate gargoyle style brass knocker on the mayor's home, holding it pivoted several inches from the reinforced oak portal. She winced when she heard Xeno's screeching voice -- like claws on a writing slate -- and her jaw clenched again. What sort of trouble could he have possible gotten himself into in the scant moments between hitting her with a snowball and her arrival here.

The raven haired necromancer let the knocker fall back to place with a loud THUD followed by another THUD, and then a third THUD.

She hissed back at Xeno's histrionics through gritted teeth. "Compose yourself. You'll wake the dead."

gremlin-pult
2015-05-27, 05:55 PM
"But there's weird stuff going on!" Xeno exclaims as he grinds to a halt in front of Morgan.
"When I was walking I thought I saw something in the corner of my eye, so I tried to check it out. But I couldn't find anything, so I searched again. And then I searched with my magic sight, and, and..."
He stops himself midsentence, taking a deep breath and trying to call down a bit.
"I saw a gathering." He continues, looking Morgan in te eye with completely seriousness, all his normal cheer gone. "A gathering of magical energies, flowing like a... A vortex towards the mountains to the north. I dunno what it was, but it was almost top much just to look at it with my sight. Something that powerful doesn't just happen. I dont remember why I know, but I KNOW this is unnatural."

jaydubs
2015-05-27, 07:00 PM
"I saw something similar a few minutes ago. Not a vortex of magic, but a person who seemed to disappear the moment I started searching for her." He furrows his brow in thought for a moment. "We should find out just who all has been having this kind of experience. It could be important."

Castor looks pointedly at Morgan. "What about you? See anything strange this morning?"

EclecticGuru
2015-05-27, 07:19 PM
While Morgan was quite quick to blow off Xeno's concerns as hysteria, she was not so quick to put aside Castor's. She remained elegantly poised, but ready for action, like a pendulum at the top of its swing. She took a few moments to think, to weigh the information and the situation as it presented itself.

"I agree with both of you. The portents indicate something unnatural, and of great importance, is unfolding. However, that being said, there is nothing that threatens civilization more than ignoring a polite invitation to mid morning tea and pastries from one's social betters."

Morgan lifted the knocker one more time and more heavily allowed it crash into the door.

THUMP.

"Please see this as an opportunity to politely question the Mayor and any of the other guests. And do keep in mind that we shall all endeavor to keep it as short as possible so that we can focus on the important matter of uncovering the nature of these Auspices."

Megatron46
2015-05-27, 08:18 PM
Jawdat-
The raging noise reaches a crescendo- driving you down towards the ground. The trees rush up at you and as you connect with the ground the storm stops ... a complete and total silence descends upon your mind. You glance around and realise you are in the grove at the heart of the ancient forest, you hadn't realised that you'd flown so far. As you watch you hear a creak and a groan and a tree twists and cracks, it's form blurring until you see a dryad standing before you. The keeper of the grove steps forward, Sister of the earth, you have heard your god's call and have come. It's voice the whisper of leaves across the ground and as you hear it you feel at peace.
Morgan, Castor and Xeno-
As the last of the knocks dies down the door opens and to your surprise Mayenne Silverhair answers the door, her face decidedly serious. Excellent, you're here Quickly, please come in. . She turns and and smoothly leads the way into Mayor Hardiman's home.

jaydubs
2015-05-27, 10:06 PM
Castor quirks an eyebrow at the others before following Mayenne Silverhair into the building.

He pulls up beside her. "Sheriff. Might I ask what this is about? I say that because we might have stumbled upon something a little sinister. And time may be of the essence."

Elbeyon
2015-05-27, 11:06 PM
Jawdat

A wing turning into an arm, the rest seems to be pulled into form with its downward earthen push. She stands with her spear to her side. Her head turned away from the figure. Creatures of the wild even despite their best intentions are strongly tied to their nature. Jawdat has no intentions of falling prey to any spirit. "Yes. I have followed the whispering winds, the shouting gales, of Huw; however, I no longer hear his breath. It is difficult to understand a voice when in the presence of a hurricane. I do know that there is something to be uneasy about. A poison that I may have been called upon to help remedy."

EclecticGuru
2015-05-28, 08:14 AM
Morgan calmly entered the Mayor's home, in the company of Castor and the Sheriff (and presumably also Xeno?). She took a position beside and slightly behind Castor, slightly disengaged from the interrogation, but paying just enough attention to it to follow it. She tucked both hands behind her back, gripping her right wrist with her left hand, and carried on with a strolling pace.

The sharp-eyed Necromancer looked around the home as they proceeded, paying attention to how it was laid out, who was present -- and what was in, and what was not, in its place -- all while Morgan maintained a dreadfully aloof, almost casually arrogant politeness.

Discern Realities:
[roll0]

gremlin-pult
2015-05-28, 08:43 PM
Although its obvious to anyone that Xeno is less than happy with his worries being dismissed by Morgan, He simply follows her silently into the Mayors house. He visibly struggles to contain his desire to charge out the door and towards his concern, and instead settles for fiddling nervously while waiting.

Megatron46
2015-05-29, 04:26 AM
Morgan, Xeno and Castor
You follow the tall slender elf into the residence, the hair which gave her her name flows down her back in a silver waterfall. At Castor's words she stiffens and turns, What have you heard? Who has spoken to you? her eyes flash and Without really waiting for a response she spins and glides into the main dining hall. As you follow you see Mayor Hardiman, a dwarf you recognise as Barrick Deepstone, priest of Openne, Roderick Fallow, priest of Rhanna and an old but still hard looking dwarf you have never seen before. Mayenne stops, I don't know how, but they know something! Hardiman stares at you, Where's Jawdat?
Jawdat
At your words the dryad smiles and the wood cracksHuw is force of nature sister, if you wish to listen to your god it is a terrible and powerful thing. Touch the oak and hear his voice.. It points to the huge oak at the centre of the grove, it branchlike arm extending root tendrils to touch the tree. The oak radiates a quiet power, the power of ages, of the seasons! Stark and black against the white snow it is awe inspiring.

EclecticGuru
2015-05-29, 08:10 AM
Morgan was satisfied to remain just slightly out of focus, in the background behind the glare of the spotlight that Castor seemed to handle so well. She lingered there in her position, still surveying the scene, while also keeping tabs on Xeno to be sure he didn't do anything stupid. But just before Castor could respond, she brushed her cool hand against his head, running the tips of her slender splayed fingers chillingly against his scalp.

"Sentire cerebrum." Her voice was a sub-vocal whisper, but it seemed to reverberate through the ether between Morgan and Castor. And that reverberation continued even she allowed her fingers to fall back to her side, and she returned to her inconspicuous surveillance of the scene.

Casting the Telepathy (Level 1) Spell on Castor. She's acting on the information gained from the Discern Realities move, so she is carrying a +1 forward.

[roll0]

Elbeyon
2015-05-29, 10:12 AM
Jawdat

Before acting she is going to discern the realities [roll0] of the situation. The contemplation gives her actions a hesitation as she looks at things thoughtfully.

Megatron46
2015-05-29, 10:31 AM
Jawdat
what should I be on the lookout for?
A name, either of a person or a place! They/it will be of significance.

Elbeyon
2015-05-29, 10:42 AM
Jawdat

Jawdat placated by her observations; she makes her way to the tree with less suspicion then before. Matching the dryad's moments she reaches out to the tree. Her hand arriving and pressing a short distance away from the tendrils. She tries to mentally brace herself for what is about to come.

gremlin-pult
2015-05-29, 12:09 PM
Looking around at the assembled people, xeno takes the chance to talk before while castor and Morgan are occupied.
"Uhm, since a lot of you in here are, like, knowledgeable about Blackwater and its surroundings, can someone tell me if there's anything special about the mountains to the north?" He asks, looking at each of them in turn.
"Because I did some magicking earlier to see the arcane energies around me, and there was a whole slew of it gathering and flowing towards the mountains. And that doesn't just happen on its own."

jaydubs
2015-05-29, 01:03 PM
Castor is momentarily surprised by the unexpected casting, but quickly focuses back to the situation at hand. "Jawdat stopped for a moment of prayer. I'd assume she's somewhere behind us." He points toward Xeno. "Can you answer his question in return? And then please tell us why we're here. This is clearly not a social visit. To be candid, you are all behaving quite unusually. And I think the sooner we get everything out in the open, the faster we can start dealing with whatever is going on."

Megatron46
2015-05-29, 05:30 PM
Jawdat
As you extend your arm, mimicking the dryad, the great oak seems to lurch and you find your hand and forehead pressed against it's ancient bark... The noise before was a storm, this is a tempest! Sending your mind reeling, the voice of your god drives you to your knees, all sense gone all that is there is the primal power of nature! Amidst the cacophony you hear a stream of names; Admira's Tor, Ehlrin Greyskin, Vitus the Unspoken, Shade's Hollow, Belrig's Point before you wrench your hand and head away collapsing to the floor.... your mind battered by the presence of Huw. As you come to, the Keeper looks at you, awe written across it's bark-skin face, You have heard the voice of Huw, our god has called and spoken to you! It reaches out a hand and brushes your forehead, I name you Oak-Touched, blessed by Huw! the creature then turns and it's forms blurs, becoming once again a tree.
Xeno, Castor and Morgan
Mayenne shares a glance with the others in the room, the longest with the unnamed dwarf before the mayor sits heavily and waves a hand, inviting you all to sit, breaking the tension. The sheriff stays standing and addresses the young wizard The mountains to the north contain many secrets, your friend Morgan knows more than most about some of the terrible events that have occurred in that place, but that is not a conversation for now! She turns to Castor,You are right...we have a request...a but the dwarf cuts her off and stumps forward. If you take a closer look at him he is warn and weathered but hard, faint, pale tattoos trace his face and gnarled thick arms and his pale blue eyes fix on the young wizard, What magics did you cast boy? Things are delicate enough without any more interference! What did you see? Tell me exactly!

gremlin-pult
2015-05-29, 05:54 PM
"I just cast a spell of Magick Sight." Xeno says, a worried expression on his face. "Its a fairly simple spell, that lets me see all the ambient magical energy around, especially that which is concentrated in enchanted objects or creatures." He continues, his explanation so alike a textbook description that he himself looks a bit confused as to where that explanation came from.
"Anyway, usually it just shows me a little bit of magic. This was more magical energy than I've ever seen gathered before, all concentrated in a giant spiral moving to the mountains. Like something was pulling it in. Just looking at it almost drained me and knocked me out." Xeno rubs his shoulder, looking uncomfortable. "It was scary. I can't think of a reason anyone would pull that kind of power. not for anything good, anyway."

EclecticGuru
2015-05-29, 10:44 PM
Morgan coolly gazed upon the Sheriff when she spoke as if she possessed personal knowledge of Morgan had been not only witness too, but a part of. If the Sheriff had known the depths of the Void that Morgan had plumbed alongside her Master, she would most certainly not be welcomed here.

>>Castor, forgive the intrusion, but I have linked our minds so the we can communicate silently. You are right that this meeting is a farce, but perhaps you were unwise to point it out so sharply.<<

The young necromancer's mental voice was like a cold mountain wind, at once somehow refreshing and exhilarating but at the same time threatening to cut like a knife.

>>The matter we have been brought here to discuss with them is obviously of importance for them to create such a ruse to cover it up. I would say the tattooed dwarf is the most important resource to us, personally in this matter. Take care not to offend him. And also be watchful for Roderick to make some sort of play against the Sheriff -- he's been eyeing her like a cat eyes a mouse when she's not looking, since the moment we walked in here.<<

jaydubs
2015-05-29, 11:33 PM
Castor blinks in surprise for a moment, and then takes a deep breath.

>>Ah, Morgan. We need to arrange some kind of signal for this sort of thing. I don't usually welcome people inside my head, and I've barely had a chance to tidy up.<<

In contrast to Morgan, Castor's mind is like a branching river - lacking in single-minded clarity, but surging forward with power and purpose; thoughts branch off and then rejoin in a kind of controlled chaos.

>>You're right. I'll try to play this as cordially as I can. But I don't like being kept in the dark, so I'm going to shine a bit of light on the situation - like turning over a rock to see what's really under there. The question is, what do we most need to know?<<

Castor waits a moment to see how the dwarf responds to Xeno's explanation.

Elbeyon
2015-05-30, 11:34 AM
Jawdat

Dazed but alert to the touch, she lays witness to the dryad's words unable to give a response. A silent nod may have been her answer anyway. Did she nod?

The scared ground beneath her is her bed for a while as her head clears. She has long since accepted that she is without a circle and no longer speculates on past possibilities. She has no druid to discuss this event, no teacher to attempt to sort its meaning. A quickly fading thought goes towards Elouise. To directly hear words from a god is so far beyond her experience she has mixed feelings about even hearing them; however, she accepts she heard them. Another event on lives grassy trail in which she may never fully understand.

She stands and finishes clearing her thought. Taking a waterskin from her side, she ceremoniously washes herself of the travel's grime. A clean mind & body. She finds the clearest spot she can and starts a long, traditional prayer to Arkan (Huw) to show her devotion.

Afterwards she bids a prayerful goodbye to the grove and takes to her travel form [roll0]. Hoping to fly home.

Megatron46
2015-05-30, 03:39 PM
Castor, Morgan, Xeno
The old dwarf stares intently at Xeno as he speaks, the tension in the room is palpable but when the young wizard finishes, the dwarf speaks, That's all you cast? Nothing intrusive, you didn't try to follow or trace the power? He runs a hand over his face and sighs. He doesn't change much but there is faint relaxation in his shoulders. Mayenne steps forward as rests her hand on his broad shoulder,Gregor, it may not be connected, clearly the magic Xeno saw must be investigated, but that could be a separate issue. Gregor looks sceptically at the elf, You really think that? he growls....Forgive my abruptness, I am Gregor Reikguard, an old friend and companion of Mayenne. After speaking to her when I arrived late last night she mentioned four who had impressed her, you. I asked Mayor Hardiman to invite you here under pretence. A shame your friend is not here. As you are no doubt aware Goblin raids have increased, you have faced a number in your time here, becoming increasingly frequent and effective. Without your intervention the last raid would have been catastrophic for Blackwater. Decades ago, my people built a stronghold to the north of here on Admira's Tor, it's purpose to watch and stop green skin bands from roaming and raiding south. We lost contact with them 3 months ago... the mayor picks up the story, It was then that the raids increased, becoming more and more frequent and dangerous, we would ask you to investigate Admira's Tor, find out what has happened to the dwarfs. As he finished, Roderick Fallow coughs and speaks, I'm sorry to intrude but surely with the new announcement of this power.... this magicks, should you Gregor and you Mayenne not go with these four, surely your spear Mayenne would be an invaluable asset!
Jawdat
As you pray, the stillness in the grove is that of a calm after the storm. You hear no tempest in your mind, but the names reverberate in your thoughts. Shaken by your god you struggle to assume animal form but your form shifts and bends and you take to the air!

EclecticGuru
2015-05-31, 12:10 AM
Morgan turned to pay attention to the tattooed dwarf, Gregor it turns out his name was, as he spoke. She nodded her head slightly, and then her sharp gaze slipped over Roderick as he spoke. She didn't seem to have anything to say to that, but Castor knew otherwise.

>>There it is. Roderick has been eyeing up the Sheriff waiting for an opportunity to make his move. He wants her out of town for some reason -- and the fact that he's using subterfuge to accomplish it makes me think whatever he wants her out of town for ... he's got a bad reason for it.<<

She unclasped her wrist behind her back and rested a single hand on her hip, the thumb of her other hand she tucked into the cinch of her elaborately styled robe.

>>As for what happened to the dwarf outpost ... it doesn't take a genius to figure out, in general terms, what must have happened to them. However, to verify, and to find the details of what took place -- it probably makes sense to send someone.<<

jaydubs
2015-05-31, 11:49 AM
>>I can't argue with that. He's being weaselly as a man selling cat stew right now.<<

Castor looks toward Roderick and begins to speak frankly with him. "You might be right. One can always use help in a situation like this. But I think there's more to it than just that, and we can't afford secrets in this situation. So let's all be honest with each other for a moment." He focuses his gaze more pointedly. "What do you really want out of this?"

gremlin-pult
2015-05-31, 03:06 PM
Seeing how the people around seem to be getting a bit heated up, Xeno steps slightly back and trying to look small.
He really doesn't want to be the center of attention, since whatevers going on seems serious even without his unnatural magickal spiral.

Megatron46
2015-05-31, 04:28 PM
Castor, Morgan, Xeno
At Castor's words the priest of Rhanna looks affronted and opens his mouth to make a retort, but at the Bard's pointed question an odd look comes across his face and he starts to speak, The law of Rhanna must be swift and uncompromising. He gestures to
Mayenne, Silverhair is too soft. As Blackwater grows the criminal element crawl out of the woodwork like maggots, with the elf gone then the Church of Rhanna shall administer justice! He looks shocked and stops. A twisted look of hatred on his ace he glares at Castor, i don't know what you just did, but answer me this, what is it you most desire from your companions? Mayenne slowly turns to look at Fallow, while Gregor, the Mayor and Barrick Deepstone look aghast!

jaydubs
2015-05-31, 05:23 PM
"I travel with two wizards, because I wish to learn magic." Castor shrugs casually. "Sorry Roderick, I've woven no dark and secret plots to take the attention off of you."

He turns towards Mayenne. "In light of this, I'd say leaving town is probably a bad idea. And as underhanded as this whole thing is, there has been an uptick in crime of late. Perhaps the Sheriff should stay in town?"

Castor pauses to see how this new information will play out among them, picking up a biscuit off a nearby table to nibble as he watches. They did promise breakfast, after all. One shouldn't go hungry right before marching off to battle god knows what.

Megatron46
2015-06-01, 02:19 AM
Castor, Morgan, Xeno
Mayenne gives a rueful laugh, Has it come to this? A ruse to get me out of your way while you try to impress with your swift brand of justice. She steps up to him, I have seen your interpretation of Rhanna's justice and it is lacking, imprecise condemning and breeds resentment! You think your goddess would accept that? She turns her back and stalks away from the priest.
Roderick...you... your desire for this responsibility is blinding you to what we need in Blackwater, Mayenne has the respect of all as she has helped defend the town as well as oversee it's laws. Haridman speaks gently, but then a touch of steel enters his voice, sounding unusually harsh in his round jovial face, I would also ask where were you and your temple guard when the goblins have struck?
I don't need to listen to this Fallow sneers, Engage in your petty investigations, it is obvious the dwarves at Admira's Tor are dead, why bother with anything else? At that the priest turns and walks out, slamming the door behind him. As he leaves, a servant slips into the room and hands Xeno a note from the Merry Tumbler, telling him that Jawdat has suddenly headed off to the Great Forest and will catch them up later.
Jawdat
Your flight back to Blackwater is slower than you would expect, your communion has drained you but you make steady progress.

gremlin-pult
2015-06-01, 03:52 AM
"Uhmm, Jawie went to the Great forest." Xeno murmurs to Morgan, handing her the note. He then turns to the others, taking a deep breath, then smiling a bit shakily. "It sound like there's a lot going on, sooo..." He says, looking profoundly uncomfortable. "I was thinking, maybe I should just go to the mountain alone, and find out about this magic stuff. Its probably not that big a deal, anyhow. But I really wanna find out what it is." He finishes, giving everyone a nod, then edging towards the door.

Megatron46
2015-06-01, 04:19 AM
Xeno, Castor, Morgan
Wait young man, please... Gregor raises his hand, Your desire for knowledge is admirable, but your impetuousness is...unwise! He stands and paces over to the wall and pulls down a map of Blackwater and the North of Landfell. The mayor winces as the dwarf manhandles the valuable map. He slams the map down on the big table and weighs it out with plates and cups. He beckons Xeno and the other's over. Mayenne snags a pastry and stands behind her old companion. From what you said the magicks you detected headed North, into the mountain range, Admira's Tor is in the same direction, it would be unwise to head off alone. My plan was to accompany to you to the Tor and see what has happened to my brethren, but this does require investigating...we could travel together for a time and then see whether the two are connected. He places his hand on Xeno's arm and looks up at him, You clearly have power Xeno, but even with all at your command a mountain range teeming with goblins and anything else that may appear is no place for a young man alone. he pauses, I realise the truth of Fallow's words, my people may already be dead but I need to find the truth, there may be some of them left fighting the good fight....in my heart I feel this power you saw is connected, but I am not sure.
The mayor turns to Barrick, Brother Deepstone, have you heard or witnessed anything like this? Have any of you? Turning to the rest of those in the room.

gremlin-pult
2015-06-01, 06:42 AM
Smiling broadly at the dwarfs comment, Xeno nods to him. "Ok, that sounds like a real good plan, going together. And I wanna help you find your friends too." He says, before leaning slightly closer to Gregor "Actually, I also said this to have an excuse to leave the room. You all seemed really close to yelling and being angry at each other, and I... Don't like that. But please dont tell the others. I'm not very brave, and I can get confused a lot. So I dont think they'd take me seriously if they knew I can't handle disagreements well." He whispers.

At Gregors next question, he looks thoughtful for a moment, before shaking his head. "No, I dunno if it's connected. I just have a gut feeling that the magic vortex is important."

EclecticGuru
2015-06-01, 01:22 PM
>>I don't entirely trust Roderick, and I'm not sure how much of our plans we should reveal in front of him. Interestingly enough, Xeno has provided us an excuse to leave in the company of Gregor, while giving the impression that we are not planning on accompanying him to his Tor. I think we should tell them all that our plan is to accompany Gregor as far as the base of the mountains together, but from there, we will be splitting up, with us investigating Xeno's magical vorex, and Gregor the Tor.<<

Morgan turned, with seemingly aloof disinterest to the conversation of the party. She examined a small decorative shelf with some quaint country knickknacks displayed upon it. She picked up a ceramic rooster and saw that it was a salt shaker. She seemed momentarily impressed before she set it back down.

The young necromancer did not, however, answer the general question put forth, allowing her silence on the matter to be her answer.

jaydubs
2015-06-01, 06:32 PM
>>Fair enough. Whether we accompany him to the Tor can be decided when we know more about the situation. And we can speak to Gregor more freely once we are on the road, away from prying eyes.<<

Castor nods and claps his hands together. "It seems like this is settled then. I think Morgan and I can agree that our priority is to help Xeno with his investigation. Apologies, Gregor. As much as I feel for your brethren, we cannot leave Xeno to travel alone to investigate this magical occurrence. But, we will escort you to the base of the mountain as best we can."

He looks toward the others now. "You've clearly been preparing for this longer than we have. What supplies can you give us to speed us on our way?"

Megatron46
2015-06-02, 06:19 AM
Xeno, Morgan, Castor
The leaders of the town and Gregor look somewhat crestfallen at Castor's response.
You have done much for our town, begins the Mayor, and we thank you. We would hope you could see in your hearts to investigate the dwarven stronghold as that will assist in the defence and security of Blackwater, but you must do as your conscience dictates. He wanders over to a large chest and starts rummaging through things.
Mayenne steps forward and clasps each of your arms in a warrior's grip, You have helped us greatly, without you I would have many more townsfolk not with us, my thanks, she does drop her voice, If you do reconsider your thoughts, I would be in your debt.
Gregor straightens, Your company, even if only to the base of mountains will be most welcome. If you will excuse me, I must pray to Huw, I will meet you on the Northern Road when you are ready. He glances at the Mayor and rolls up he map, I'm taking this! He picks up a round shield and slings it on his back and attaches a hammer to his belt, on his shield you see the symbol of Huw, the oak tree entwined by a snake and you realise he is a cleric. He nods his farewells and leaves the room.
The Halfling mayor drags the chest into the middle of the room, We do not have much to spare, but you are welcome to take what you will from here, mainly useful supplies but some weapons and equipment if you require them.

Adventuring Gear x2 (5 uses Weight 1)
Bandages x3 (3 uses Weight 0)
Healing Potions x2
Poisons-
Oil of Taget x1 (Dangerous Applied)
Bloodweed x1 (Dangerous Touch)
Weapons/Armour-
A finely crafted shield (+1 armour Weight 2)
Throwing Dagger x4 (Thrown, Near)

EclecticGuru
2015-06-02, 10:08 AM
Morgan circumspectly examined the interior of the chest, opening it with a couple of slender fingers. The hinges were just old enough to creak. The raven haired young necromancer looked up at the Mayor, briefly, and then stood at the table, gathering up pastries and sausages and cheese and wrapping them in napkins and adding them to the contents of the chest.

If they were to travel to the mountains, they might need provisions as well. Or they wouldn't have the strength to complete the journey.

jaydubs
2015-06-02, 10:14 AM
Castor walks up and takes the shield, 2 throwing daggers, and 1 set of bandages. In the hustle and bustle, he takes Mayor Hardiman aside for a moment to a quiet corner. "Sir, you've been quite good to me in the last few weeks, so I feel obliged to be honest with you. There's a lot of strange intrigue going on in this town we don't quite understand. There is a good chance we will help Gregor with the Tor, since I share his belief the two issues are connected. But this ruse is a necessary precaution against the listening ears of people who might wish us ill." He clasps the Mayor's hand in farewell. "Take care of yourself. And good luck with your troubles in this town."

Castor will also pick up some food on the way out.

And double edit for continuity's sake, he picks up the other two daggers and the poisons.

Megatron46
2015-06-02, 03:59 PM
Castor
The mayor grips your hand tight and leans in, Fallow? He's always been uptight, but this obsession is ridiculous. Thankyou for your efforts, I'll keep this to myself!

gremlin-pult
2015-06-02, 05:35 PM
When the others are done, Xeno walks over to the chest, and starts piling items into his bag, and in the deep pockets of his coat. After taking the things he wanted from the chest, carefully avoiding the poisons and weapons, he walks over and starts packing food from the table. He doesn't pack quite as much as the others, as about every third item, whether its a pie, a piece of pork or cheese, goes into his mouth instead. When he has packed the food away, more of it than a full grown man should have any business eating has been devoured by the boy, and he looks none the worse for it.
After a moments consideration of the remaining food, he starts piling that into his bag as well. "Gotta pack for Jawie too. She's probably hungry..." He says to no one in particular.

Xeno basically takes any items (except weapons and poison) that hasn't been claimed yet.
Thats the two pack of adventuring gear, the two remaining bandages, and the two healing potions.
He also takes whats left of the food, 3 rations for Jawdat, and 2 for himself since he gulped down the equivalent of one while packing.

Yeah, he's one of those types. You know, skinny teens who can eat enough for four people no problem, and still not gain a single pound. Like black holes with legs.

After carefully forcing the many items into his bag, he swings it onto his back. For a second he comes dangerously close to falling over from the additional weight before regaining his balance, albeit with his legs slightly bent under the burden.
"Waste not, want not." He says with an innocent smile, completely unfazed by the fact that he just ingested a days worth of food.

EclecticGuru
2015-06-03, 09:00 AM
Morgan one upped Xeno by taking the empty chest too. Oh yes. The Mayor's had just experienced an adventurer-style looting. Welcome to it. Take everything that isn't bolted down -- use the bolt cutters for the rest.

"Thank you for the supplies. They will be most useful." She commented for the first time since arrival. Then she left. On her way out, she foisted the empty chest on Xeno to carry. Since he insisted on carrying all of the party gear. "You forgot something."

She cooly blew by him before he could respond.

Megatron46
2015-06-03, 11:07 AM
Morgan, Xeno, Castor
You make your farewells and head back out into the chill morning air. The sun has written a little more, but it has not warmed the day any. There are at least a few more people out, going about their business. You spend some time organising your new acquisitions and gathering your belongings. A small snowball war erupts as a group of children decide to ambush Xeno.
You spend the next hour or so tidying up loose ends and finishing any business you have before you see a dot in the sky heading rapidly towards the town square.
Jawdat
The cold winter air clears your head as you leave the forest and the sacred grove behind. You feel invigorated the longer you fly and you revel in the joy of the wind beneath your falcon's wings. In a short time you see Blackwater appear and you soar high before descending down towards the town square in a dazzlingly fast stoop.

Elbeyon
2015-06-03, 11:54 AM
Jawdat

Mostly stopping, there is a noticeable thud as a ball of transform flesh hits the snow and forms into Jawdat. Spear in hand she asks, "Where are we going?" Noting the obvious packing. "What did I miss?"

jaydubs
2015-06-03, 05:43 PM
Castor rocks back on his heels appraisingly. It's always a bit odd watching her transform.

"Xeno discovered a menacing looking magical vortex, the local priest Roderick Fallow is trying to take over law enforcement in the city by pushing the sheriff out, and we're supposed to escort a dwarf into the mountains to check in on a possibly annihilated outpost." He pauses for a moment. "Okay, so it's kind of a long story. We're supposed to meet the dwarf outside of town, so I'll fill you in on the way." He offers her a breakfast muffin. "And what have you been up to?"

Castor fills Jawdat in on the full story as they make their way out of town.

gremlin-pult
2015-06-03, 06:56 PM
"And we got a lot of food." Xeno says with a grin. "I brought some for you too, Jawie." He nods towards his bag, filled to the brim, with a chest crudely tied to it with rope. All in all, Xeno gives of the appearance of a pack-mule, albeit a happy one.

Elbeyon
2015-06-03, 07:14 PM
Surprised. "That's a lot. Things have been eventful for both of us. I'm already packed for travel." She'll take the breakfast muffin as they leave the square.

She thanks Xeno while enjoying the muffin's taste then asks what type of food he has brought.

"Praying in the grove to the west. I received information about places. Things out of balance."

gremlin-pult
2015-06-03, 07:27 PM
"Oh, we got all kindsa food. Sausage, bread, some fruit, cheese, pies..." Xeno goes on, his speech slightly disturbed by his huffing and puffing under the heavy load. "We also got other things. Rope and potions 'n stuff. Mister Gregor said that he was worries about goblins, so we might get into trouble. I just hope the vortex doesn't mean its gonna be magical trouble. Thats worse than normal trouble, and someone usually ends up as a toad."

Elbeyon
2015-06-03, 08:12 PM
Jawdat

She chuckles. "Being a toad isn't so bad. I'll tell you about my experiences as one while we travel."

Goblins are a problem familiar enough that she doesn't address them. "The supplies sound delicious." Some crumbs get bitten off her fingers. "I'll go over the items when our first rest comes up." Xeno's energy seems to keep Jawdat in a good mood. She carries at least a smile and sometimes more when he is around. Differentiating her mood now from the more solemn posturing one she normally carries.

((I post my character's name at the start of every post to make it easier for others to grab. I find it helpful until everyone learns everyone's character name. I'll stop doing it eventually.))

Megatron46
2015-06-04, 01:47 AM
You chat and share information, making your way out of town up the North Road, heading towards the ever looming mountains. The snow is packed a little more tightly on the road as others have travelled it first; hunters, woodcutters and the like heading out into the bitter winter morning. As you leave Blackwater behind you the snow gets thicker as it has been mostly undisturbed the weak winter sun shining down on you.
3 or 4 miles out of town you see a short, broad figure waiting by the side of the road. Given time you notice now the silver streaks through his hair and beard, the tattoos seem slightly more pronounced now they are out in the wild. As you approach Gregor turns, a short stemmed pipe clenched between his teeth. He nods at you, an amused look enters his eyes as he notices Xeno loaded like a pack mule. His gaze lingers on Jawdat for a second before he stumps forward. Well met, he growls, Gregor Reikguard, good to meet you sister, he extends a hand to Jawdat.
The cleric of Huw's eyes flick up to your brow, the exact spot where the dryad touched you and named you Oak-Touched but he says nothing.
Thankyou for agreeing to come, even if it is only part of the way to Admira's Tor. It is a four day hike through the snow, however it will get dangerous much, much sooner, but we should be safe today, I'll fill you in when we make camp tonight. He turns and begins making his way along the road.
Walking through the snow is harder going the further from Blackwater you travel. You pass a few isolated farmsteads and crofter's cottages, all have smoke trickling out of the chimneys. 15-20 miles north of town you see the first burned out farmstead, torched by the goblins on the last raid you stopped not far from this spot. Gregor pauses, They've truly come far south then, I do not hold out much hope for my people, they would never have allowed this to happen if they had been able!

EclecticGuru
2015-06-04, 08:07 AM
"It is very likely we will accompany you all the way to the Tor, Gregor. We engaged in a bit of subterfuge before the town council, and unfortunately, you were caught up in the deception. It is possible the goblin attacks, and -- previous to them -- whatever happened to your Tor, had help from the inside. Often times, when bold and unprecedented moves such as these occur, it is the result of machinations from within, as well as without."

Morgan's stride through the snow was unsteady, and as the snow began to accumulate on the hem of her ornately embroidered robe, she scowled. She kept pausing to shake the snow off, and she seemed quite, quite so very much, upset at the current state of affairs. The whole reason she was holed up in that town was because the snow made travel inconvenient at best, and impossible at worst.

"I am not accustomed to acting with such urgency. In my previous experience, plans were best executed when they had a chance to blossom, and bear fruit. To rush them was considered déclassé, However, I suppose the shoe is on the other foot now, and it is we who are responding to the schemes of others. The class, or lack thereof, of those schemes, I imagine, shall be revealed to us in due time."

The slender necromancer sneered at a drift of snow in the way ahead.

"Due time, indeed."

Megatron46
2015-06-04, 08:12 AM
At Morgan's words the dwarf turns and looks at her, nodding thoughtfully, A wise precaution, I had not considered help for the enemy from within... who would choose to ally themselves with greenskins? He brightens, However, knowing you are likely to accompany me lightens my heart, especially if the tales I have heard of your skills from Mayenne are accurate, and she is not one given to exaggeration!

EclecticGuru
2015-06-04, 08:35 AM
Morgan raised a well-groomed eyebrow at the dwarf's comment about their skill, and Mayenne's assessment thereof -- an expression that was quickly followed by a tightening of her shockingly red lips.

Elbeyon
2015-06-04, 08:49 AM
"التقى جيدا. Well met, brother." She accepts his hand in friendship with a hardy sake.

Ah, now she's starting to get a better idea of what's going on. "I don't need the threat of treachery to keep something secret. Secrets are always safer when fewer people hold them."

"We should travel to Admira's Thor instead of just considering it. I was... encouraged to travel there by Huw. It is a place that needs our attention". The snow crunchs below her feet for a step before she asks, "Admira's Thor, Ehirin Greyskin, Vitus the Unspoken, Shade's Hallow, Beirig's Point. Where are these places or people? Do they have some type of significance?" Her eyes look to Huw's dwarf for the answers.

Being new to the area had its disadvantages, but nonetheless she'll spout lore [roll0]to see if her travels have been informative about the places she spoke. ((It's a big topic. She's just looking for a some general information and if really really lucky a connection.))

Megatron46
2015-06-04, 03:19 PM
Alas, Jawdat doesn't recall much; her travels have taught her many things, but no knowledge comes to her mind. Morgan however recognises two names; Ehlrin Greyskin and Beirig's Point.
Ehlrin Greyskin- a name from the ancient past- a warrior, a warlord- known as the Grey Prince, he laid waste to all before him in his desire to forge an empire! His name still inspires terror, a bogey man! His sigil; a ragged banner with a grey raven, has not been raised in 900 years! For his name to be spoken is a sign of dark portents!
Beirig's Point- While looking at the map in the Mayor's house you saw and now remember the name. It is a narrow gorge over-looked by small hill. The journey North to Admira's Tor passes right through Beirig's Point, if anyone was to lay an ambush on the first part of your journey it would be there; you will reach the point tomorrow afternoon!
The other names mean nothing to you now!

You know that Shade's Hollow is a dangerous quarter in the capital city of Farspire. It is the oldest part of the city and is a winding maze, barely controlled by city law!

gremlin-pult
2015-06-04, 05:30 PM
"Those are some pretty weird names." Xeno says airily. "Kinda funny coincidence, though. One of the few memories I have is an old man whose name is Vitus. I guess the name is more common than I thought."
He frowns in thought, then turns to Gregor. "Is Vitus a common dwarven name, mister Gregor? Although the man in my memory isn't a dwarf...."
He stops himself to think deeply for a moment, before apparently getting an idea.
"Maybe he was raised by dwarves. Or turned from dwarf into human by magic. I remember him being a wizard, and a strong one. That's probably it." Xeno finishes, smiling brightly at his own deduction.

jaydubs
2015-06-04, 08:35 PM
"Shade's Hollow is a quarter in the capital, Farspire. I grew up near there, actually. Not a nice place. Confusing. Lots of winding alleys and dead ends. Crime's bad enough the guards don't even like to patrol through it." Castor thinks back a moment, on darker times, before shaking himself back into the present.

A strange suspicion hits him just then. "That's a little odd, isn't it? You being given clues that just happen to be significant to us. Gregor, did you or the other guests see anything unusual this morning? Things in the corner of your eye? Thinking you saw someone familiar, but the person being gone when you tried to find them?"

Megatron46
2015-06-05, 02:05 AM
The grizzled cleric shakes his head, No Xeno, I haven't heard of the name Vitus, it's not particularly dwarven anyway. He looks at Castor sharply, No I experienced nothing like that! Did you all have a similar experience?

gremlin-pult
2015-06-05, 08:19 AM
"I kept seeing something out the corner of my eye. It disappeared when I searched, though." Xeno answered. "Thats actually why I used my magic sight in the first place."

EclecticGuru
2015-06-05, 12:02 PM
"Did you say Ehlrin Greyskin? The Grey Prince ... Raven of Doom. First Warlord of the Cycle of Worms. That's interesting ... he is so old as to be legend now. His name is sometimes invoked by those who seek to bring unwarranted gravity to their claims of grandeur and might. But the name doesn't mean much except to those who study the ancient histories and legends, or to those who place special merit in reputations most sinister." Morgan took a brief pause, before adding as an aside. "Or in my case, both."

Morgan tapped her chin, taking a moment to pause in the snow.

"Beirig's Point lies directly on our route, about a day's travel toward Admira's Tor. It is a narrow gorge overlooked by a hill, and the perfect spot for an ambush. Why it was there that the Deathknight Vaughn was sent to intercept the .... ah, but that's another story."

The young necromancer squinted in the direction of travel. "We should probably be certain we've scouted it well, before we attempt to pass."

gremlin-pult
2015-06-05, 12:16 PM
"Oooh! Oooh! I can do that!" Xeno exclaims, jumping up exitedly. "I can do it! I can scout the place without being seen."

Running up in front of the others, he holds out his arms with a gleeful expression. "I have just the thing for something like that. And I can be real sneaky."

Megatron46
2015-06-05, 05:11 PM
Gregor grunts and removes his like from his mouth, You know your history girl, that's for sure. For most he's just a name to frighten children, but the Cycle of Worms? That is OLD lore, forgotten by most! Where did you learn of that? he taps out his pipe and slowly refills it as he muses, Hrmmmm, yes Beirig's Point, it is a strong natural vantage point, it was to be our fall back position if ever Admira's Tor was lost! It wouldn't be the first time that the Point has been pivotal in the defence of Landfell, although you are right Morgan, it could be used against us, we should reach it by tomorrow afternoon! Scouting would be wise. Xeno, any skill in infiltration is invaluable. He lights his pipe and continues to lead the way, trudging through the snow, sharing tales of past adventures answering and asking questions. Wildlife is scarce as you cross the white landscape, but there are some signs; a few birds circling, a startled squirrel vanishing into some undergrowth. You walk for the day, until dusk starts to creep up and you begin to look for a camp site!

EclecticGuru
2015-06-06, 01:29 PM
"Let's find a safe spot to make camp." Morgan announced, with all due wisdom and foresight. "We should probably set a watch order as well -- goblins are notorious for slitting throats in the night, and as Xeno has noted, there is magic afoot as well, and anything is possible."

She took a few moments to shake out her robes, which were crusted with snow and ice. She felt like she was falling apart, and if the young necromancer were not so disciplined, she'd probably be crying at this point in the journey.

Elbeyon
2015-06-06, 03:15 PM
As they stop traveling for the night Jawdat goes about helping find a spot to protect the group from the winter night. The snow melting off her all day has started to scratch at her comfort. Biting her tongue from complaining, she looks to Morgan, an interest of hers all day. "Uncomfortable? Take the last shifts with me, prepare the group for travel in the morning. Be in charge of our food, whether we starve or not. In exchange, I'll let you sleep with me tonight. ((Jawdat's tell is warmth. It might not be much, but it's something.))" Forcing her steps, she starts to plan while they search.

"As usual I'll take more of the watches. I only need four hours of sleep (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep_(non-human)). If we're hustling we could camp for ten hours. If we'd prefer a more secured rest half a days camp would do it."

10 Hours (2 Hour Shifts):
Group 1: Castor
Group 2: Xeno
Group 3: Jawdat, Gregor
Group 4: Jawdat
Group 5: Jawdat, Morgan

12 Hours (2 Hour Shifts):
Group 1: Xeno, Castor
Group 2: Xeno, Castor
Group 3: Jawdat, Gregor
Group 4: Jawdat, Gregor
Group 5: Jawdat, Morgan
Group 6: Jawdat, Morgan
"I favor twelve hours. Considering our inclinations, conditions and environment traveling for half a day is already plenty."

jaydubs
2015-06-06, 10:49 PM
Castor shrugs. "As long as I get one of the early shifts, whatever order is fine with me. I'm used to staying up late."

He looks up at the sky. "What are we going to do for light? Bright fires will let us see if something finds us. But they'll also make it more likely for something to find us."

Castor tries to recall if it's a good idea to have a bright fire in this area. The types of creatures in the area, whether the weather will let it be bright enough to see by during the night (moon and stars), and so forth.
Spout Lore: [roll0]

Megatron46
2015-06-07, 02:37 PM
Working together you quickly find a suitable place to camp for the night, sheltered from the worst of the weather by a thicket of trees, this will also hide most of the light from a fire, if you're careful. Castor realises that there is nothing natural here to be attracted by the fire, maybe the occasional inquisitive wolf; if the bard had been travelling alone then he may have cause to fear, but a group of five is safe this far South, further North into the mountains will be a different story.
You clear the snow and set camp, setting up tents, breaking out the trail rations and lighting a small fire for warmth and cooking. You talk, bodies tired from the long day's hike; Gregor packs his pipe and passes around his tobacco for any who wants some.

Any who are standing watch give me roll+Wis for each 2 hours you are on watch. Decide if you want to do 10 or 12 hours rest.
I will roll for Gregor.
Mark off one trail ration from your gear- unless you're Jawdat!
Gregor will answer any questions you may have- feel free to rp the camp and meal before turning in for the night, if not we'll move on!

From communicating with Huw and becoming 'Oak-Touched' you have gained a small boon from your God!
When you roll you to Shapeshift you gain 3 hold on a 9+ not a 10+. This will last until you act against your God in some way.
Despite being exhausted your dreams are restless; darkness and a sense haste flood your mind
You dream of the girl you saw in town, the dark haired beauty who escaped you this morning
You sleep well, dreaming of glory and power beyond measure!

Elbeyon
2015-06-07, 04:33 PM
Jawdat doesn't so much of set up her tent as separate and lay it out like a rug. Resting near her supplies she chats about past adventures, an encounter with pirates half way across the sea, and joins in on whatever else is being discussed. She has no taste for silence when in the company of friends. Gregor's pipe finds a happy companion with her, and Gregor himself finds an inquisitive follower of Huw.

As the camp gets more settled Jawdat changes into a laying giraffe before going to sleep. The tent that was spread out earlier is used as a blanket. And, though she is starting to tuck in she takes a couple more giraffe drags off the tobacco pipe. Her head eventually turns 180 and her neck makes a u shape as her head rests on her hind legs.

gremlin-pult
2015-06-07, 04:51 PM
After setting up his VERY simple tent (The kind thats just three sticks and a sheet, really.), Xeno joins the others at the fire. He listens happily to the stories his companions tell, chiming in with comments and questions.
He doesn't tell much about himself, since his stories of the last two years he spent with his adoptive parents were nowhere as exciting as the rest of the groups travel-stories.

A short while into the night, Xeno's energetic and excited demeanor starts to slow down, as he gets more and more tired.
He tries valiantly to stay awake just as long as the others. He is, after all, a full-grown adventurer just like them. Nonetheless, he falls asleep shortly after dozing of in a sitting position, and the others only just manage to grab him before he collapses forward, headfirst into the fire. At their insistence, Xeno then crawls over to his tent, where he resumes his slumber.

Later that night, when he is awoken for his watch, Xeno is determined to be the best watchman ever. But just like in daylight there are many distracting and interesting things in the night, and more than once Xeno has to catch himself while on his way out of the camp to investigate something particularly curious. Luckily for everyone Xeno notes nothing out of the ordinary. Which means that there is nothing, of course, since Xeno is an excellent wathcman.

EclecticGuru
2015-06-07, 08:12 PM
Morgan had accepted Jawdat's offer, without any further commenting upon it. Her misery was paramount -- the life of a traveling adventurer was not one to which she was well suited, certainly.

As personal travel rations were likely well preserved, she insisted that the party start first upon the stolen brunch food from the Mayor's gathering -- even though the cold temperatures would likely have preserved that for months as well. Morgan was quite insistent, however, on the point, and would tolerate no dissent in the matter.

Once that was settled, she tried to sleep -- but her sleep was fitful at best.

Megatron46
2015-06-08, 02:52 AM
You talk quietly into the night, the light of the fire flickering and bringing some warmth. Gregor is intrigued by each of you, asking questions getting to know you, as you each go to bed or take turns on watch, the crystal clear night sky comes to the fore; cold and sparkling the stars and Openne's silver light bath your small camp.
The first watch of the night is a little muddled as Xeno and Castor seem a either a little distracted or too eager. Jawdat, Gregor and Morgan are a little more observant and at least once a wolf ghosted up to the camp before turning away to hunt for easier prey.
As dawn breaks you stir, wake and eat. An uneventful night, murmurs Gregor, eating and gearing up at the same time. You notice as he readies himself that the pale tattoos seem to be covering his entire body, not just his face and arms; barely visible. How did we all sleep?
Breaking camp you continue on your way North, there was no new snowfall over night so the way is much as it was, maybe a little easier as the snow has crisped slightly.
You know that you will reach Beirig's Point in the early afternoon if you continue at this pace.

EclecticGuru
2015-06-08, 08:15 AM
The crisp snow might have been more comfortable to traverse if Morgan wasn't loaded down like some kind of brutish pack mule with supplies. She was tempted to load down Xeno with everything, but she couldn't, in good conscience, take advantage of his willingness like that. Instead she suffered as each step crunched down into the snow, forcing another heavy step to follow, one after the other.

Her body was still sore from all the tossing and turning the night before -- an unfortunate lack of rest following the most miserable day of travel she'd ever experienced.

The young necromancer looked upward momentarily, her sharp eyes scanning the hilltops and the mountains in the distance.

"We'll be at Beirig's Point well before sundown. We should send our scout ahead soon."

gremlin-pult
2015-06-08, 09:15 AM
at Morgans comment Xeno looks up excitedly, and trots over to her. "Oooh, I've got a great idea for that!" He says.
"I had a really good idea for it yesterday, but then I came up with an even awesomer idea! It'll work great."

Letting his gear fall to the ground, Xeno holds out his arms, gesturing wildly as he explains, barely able to contain himself.
"See, I've got this nifty spell, that turns people invisible. My first idea was to turn invisible and go myself, but then I came up with the second idea." Xeno turns to Jawdat, grinning in childlike glee. "See, Jawie, you can turn into animals and stuff. So if you turn into a bird, I can turn you invisible! Then you'll be super fast AND no one can see you."
He makes a small jump, obviously happy at his own cleverness.
"And best of all, I even have a name for it. I call it... The Invisi-bird combo spell!" He finishes, looking vastly satisfied at his own genius.

Megatron46
2015-06-08, 09:32 AM
Gregor raises his eyebrows and nods,I agree, sending a scout out now is a good idea, get a lay of the land, see if anyone is waiting for us; if we're caught unawares it could be a death trap. He eyes up Xeno and Jawdat, That combination could work, or you could send up more than one scout! As long as we get plenty of notice of any green skins! His gauntleted hand pats the warhammer at his belt.

Elbeyon
2015-06-08, 09:50 PM
"The Invisisa visa-bird combo spell?" He tongue tying on it slightly. "Alright, that sounds fine." She nods with respect towards the young wizard's plan. "You'll hear me before you see me if there's trouble. Keep your ears open." Jawdat smiles at her own bad joke before changing into her falcon form [roll0]. If all goes well she'll rest her talons on his shoulder, her form not weighing more than a couple of pounds, and use her wing to pester his overly smug face away. Arrogance is the death of many.

EclecticGuru
2015-06-08, 11:22 PM
"One more addition to the plan." Morgan said quietly before brushing her fingertips over the back of Jawdat's head. "Sentire cerebrum."

The young necromancer was calling upon the powers arcane to link her mind with Jawdat's, to enable silent spiritual communication. She remembered how the Dread Necromancer used this very same spell to keep tabs on her, to guide her in thought and will as she carried out his dreadful schemes.

Ah, the good old days. It's too bad he was a sadistic megalomaniac. There was definitely something to be said about dreadful schemes. No dreadful scheme ever required her to march for days through snow covered hills and mountains in the depths of winter, into what Morgan was certain was a trap of some sort. No, dreadful schemes were quite a bit more comfortable than that.

Cast Spell - Telepathy
[roll0]

gremlin-pult
2015-06-09, 02:52 AM
"Haha, stop iit!" Xeno chuckles as Jawdat pecks at him.
straightening with a grin, he stretches his arms and back, before falling into a relaxed stance.
"O-k. Here goes." He says, staring to move his arms carefully back and forth, In what could Best be described as a slow dance-like movement. "Ocularis obfuscari infinit." He mutters, before touching Jawdats head.

Invisibility.
it lasts until the target does something other than movement.
[roll0]

jaydubs
2015-06-09, 03:11 AM
Castor simply straps on his new shield and nods encouragingly. "It will probably be a long day for you, but I can't think of many things in this world that can go after an invisible bird, except maybe the wind. So, safe flying and fair weather. And if you bring back good news, I'll make a little something special for supper tonight."

He digs through his pack and pulls out a handful of dried meats and root vegetables. "The jonglers call it road stew. And the recipe is a guild secret." He briefly juggles the ingredients before sticking them back into his pack.

Megatron46
2015-06-09, 06:28 AM
Jawdat's form shifts and bends as she becomes the falcon and perches on Xeno's shoulder, ready to take flight! Morgan's telepathy takes hold and the druid feels a chill as the necromancer's magic takes hold! Whether it is the cold, the excitement or a feathered wing in the face, Xeno's spell fails and Jawdat stubbornly remains a visible falcon!

gremlin-pult
2015-06-09, 06:45 AM
"Oooow!" Xeno moans, holding a hand to his temple as the magic fails and backlashes, maniesting as a stubborn headache.
"That was really, really not supposed to happen." He says, rubbing his temple. With a frown he looks at the still visible falcon, pouting slightly. "And you're supposed to be invisible. Maybe I said the words wrong..."
Going through the motions once more, Xeno once more starts chanting the spell "Infinit Obfuscari Ocularis!"

Invisibility, take 2:
[roll0]

As the spell takes effect, Xeno pumps his arm in the air in excitement."Yes. I knew it would work the second time! I just had to, uhm...."
He turns and looks at the others with a blank, confused expression.

​"How did I do that, again?"

Megatron46
2015-06-09, 06:48 AM
The falcon shimmers and fades from view, but the little indentations of her talons still appear on Xeno's shoulder.

EclecticGuru
2015-06-09, 09:20 AM
Morgan showed nothing but blank disdain for Xeno's eccentric behavior. Well, that's not exactly true. She had a slight tightening of her eerily red lips, which were, it should be noted, like rosebuds on the freshly fallen snow in contrast to her otherwise pale skin. It would not be unfair to speculate that she had applied some sort of stain to them -- or perhaps they were simply naturally stained thusly by repeated indulgence in the blood of innocents.

>>Jawdat, I have linked our thoughts together. This way you can alert us to danger well before it strikes.<< The voice of Morgan's thoughts in the mind of her companion was perhaps a bit too imposing for comfort.

Elbeyon
2015-06-10, 01:42 PM
She nods to Morgan and her thought.

A few buffets on Xeno lead her to travel through hostile territory as the scout [roll0].

Megatron46
2015-06-10, 03:04 PM
Jawdat launches herself into the sky and Xeno feels the weight leave his shoulder, just as he is bashed in the head by a falcon's wing. You all stare at the sky; clear, bright- Openne's light glinting off the crisp snow!
Jawdat
You catch a weak thermal and spiral into the sky, soaring above the winter landscape beneath you. Your companions quickly shrink to tiny dots as you swirl and then shoot north, heading for Beirig's Point. The miles vanish beneath your wings and you scan the ground; your hunter's vision missing nothing. You see some ruins, possibly of a tower, a mile or two into the forest away from the passage north. Some wreckage, an over-turned cart and flapping material lie by the side of the road just round a bend. You see no signs of life other than some birds which are oblivious to your presence.
Soon the road becomes rougher, falling into disrepair over the last few months of winter; a travellers' path more than anything as it winds it's way up the foothills of the mountains. The snow covers everything, the fall of yesterday hiding any tracks that may have been made, but it is clear nothing has crossed this landscape since then. The landscape becomes rockier and you see it rising up, the trail heading straight towards it; Beirig's Point! You head towards it; falcon's eyes scanning the ground!
The trail dips slightly after a crossing over a the top of a small hill, passing between two steep cliff like walls; this was clearly made by dwarven stone-singers carving a path through a hill many years ago. The passage is narrow, before opening up into wider clearing, before narrowing again to continue the trail north.
Your keen sight sees a small figure standing on one of the cliff tops- a goblin scanning the horizon and the land south. He has a horn at his belt and a bow over his shoulder. Within the clearing you see a sprawling goblin camp, clearly settled in over a month or two; a small group of greenskins drilling with spears, a few more shooting at targets. There is a large tent in the middle of the clearing with goblins coming in and out. Resting behind the tent are three large worgs, their shaggy pelts covered in snow, they are eating ... something. As you spiral you see another goblin exit the tent and walk over to the archers, he speaks and one of them heads up to the archer on the clifftop. This is clearly the goblin in charge, he carries a staff covered in fetishes- feathers, skulls etc- probably a shaman. You are astonished to see this here; a full Goblin Kraal unchallenged in Landfell.
4 Goblin Spearmen
3 Goblin Archers
1 Goblin Shaman
3 Worgs
Xeno, Morgan, Castor
You know Beirig's Point is many hours north, you still have a long journey ahead of you...

gremlin-pult
2015-06-11, 01:58 PM
"Uhm, so should we start walking, or wait for Jawie to come back first?" Xeno asks, rubbing his temples to soothe his headache. "If the place is as dangerous as you say, we dont wanna get too close before she's scouted it..."
He looks longingly towards his belongings on the ground, then turns to the others, mostly focusing on Morgan.
"I could use a breather, to be true. The spelling took more of a toll than usual. Maybe we could rest an hour or two. Maybe get some food?" He asks carefully, a hopeful smile on his face.

EclecticGuru
2015-06-12, 11:28 AM
"We keep going. She's got quite the advantage in speed with her flight and us stuck walking through ... this." Morgan managed to not sound as miserable as she felt, but the misery leaked into her expression despite her best efforts.

gremlin-pult
2015-06-12, 11:58 AM
Catching Morgans less than happy tone, Xeno steps closer to her, and rests a hand on her shoulder.
"Well, It could be much worse, right? It could be a blizzard, or much farther, or you could have a pebble in your shoe..."

Pausing his sentence for a moment, He looks around thoughtfully, before smiling happily at Morgan.
"Anyway, As for me walking in this pretty cold place towards what might be an ambush, There's no one I'd rather do it with than you guys. Besides, things are only miserable if you let them be miserable. Life is good when on the road with friends. Right?" He finishes, looking to the others.

Elbeyon
2015-06-12, 01:58 PM
She relies the information as she spots various things. The interesting ruins a mile or two out of the way. The wrecked, overturned cart behind the next bend. The eight watchful goblins (including details about the shaman) and 3 worgs with fenced huts atop Beirig's Point.

Jawdat will stay high, but start to fly back to her companions. >>I'm heading back now in case of trouble. The cart is around the bend beside the road, overturned, with some cloth remains trailing the winds. I can't see more at this from this height. Be careful.<<

Megatron46
2015-06-12, 03:41 PM
Gregor smiles broadly at Xeno, his eyes crinkling in amusement, you have the spirit of an adventurer! He claps the young wizard on the shoulder, Although I agree with Morgan, we need to keep moving! Any word from Jawdat? He looks at Morgan tapping his temple with a forefinger. How fare you Castor?
Jawdat
You leave the Goblin squad, the Kraal, behind you and wing your way back to your friends, making good time, successfully unobserved.

jaydubs
2015-06-12, 09:15 PM
Castor actually seems a bit refreshed by the journey. "This? This is nothing. I spent most of my youth traveling from place to place. And no offense to Blackwater, but it's a rather small town in the grand scheme of things." He turns a small circle as he walks. "The world is so much bigger. Also, I had a lovely dream last night."

He thinks pensively for a moment. "Actually, I've been having one of those, can't put a name to a face moments. Have a person in mind I just can't place. Don't suppose any of you remember such a lass?" He goes on to describe the woman he saw yesterday.

Megatron46
2015-06-13, 04:24 PM
You trek north, Gregor musing on Castor's words. I know many humans who match that description, in 173 years many attractive brunettes have crossed my path, but none that seem significant or that you may have encountered. However she seems important or a trick is being played on you! Tell me if you see her again! The dwarf forges ahead, ploughing through the snow leading your small party onwards.
Jawdat
After a short while flying you see your friends trudging through the snow, small black specks against the white.

gremlin-pult
2015-06-13, 04:27 PM
"Well, I cant say I know who you're talking about, Castor." Xeno says, pursing his lips thoughtfully. "As far as I know I dont have that kind of problem with my memory either. I'm pretty good at putting faces and names together. Those I remember, anyway. I mean, I have no problem putting the face in my memory together with the name Vitus. It's everything else about him I forget."

His thoughful expression giving way to a sly grin, he glances sideways at Castor.
"You sure its not just wistful thinking, this pretty woman? I mean, pretty women are about as essential to you as three square meals are to most others..." He says teasingly, a remarkably grown-up jibe coming from him.

jaydubs
2015-06-14, 01:28 PM
He grins at the jibe. "That's true enough. But most of them don't vanish into thin air, just as there's a strange... er... something or other calling us towards a mysterious magical vortex." He shrugs. "Oh well. Sometimes you just have to sit back and wait for whatever strange thing is going to show up next."

*Cue Jawdat*

Elbeyon
2015-06-14, 05:59 PM
Sure :smallbiggrin:

The snow nearby ruffles into a bird winged shape as Jawdat lands nearby. Tucking her wings next to her body, she let's out a couple of cries to cue in the group that she is back for those that haven't touched her mind. >>You waited? Slow and cautious. I like it. No need to rush when you can prevent death by being slow.<<.

She'll lift up off the ground, cry, and fly to caster's shoulder while being careful not to discomfort him too much with the landing process. Ready to explore the cart with them.

EclecticGuru
2015-06-14, 07:30 PM
Morgan had relayed the mental information to her companions during Jawdat's aerial return:

The interesting ruins a mile or two out of the way.
The wrecked, overturned cart behind the next bend.
The eight watchful goblins (including details about the shaman) and 3 worgs with fenced huts atop Beirig's Point.

>> Not exactly waited so much as trudged surprisingly slowly toward our certain doom. <<

The lithe young necromancer pursed her lips at the thought that had come a bit too uncensored to the surface of her mind. Usually she had better message discipline than that. Morgan wrote it off as just being flustered by the misery of frostbitten extremities combined with the constant icy-dampness of their seemingly endless Snow Trek.

Megatron46
2015-06-15, 09:43 AM
Your slow, steady progress through the snow leads you closer to Beirig's Point. There is a brief flurry of snow making visibility hard, but then it passes. Forging forwards, the trek becomes harder going as you move further and further away from Blackwater's relative civilisation. You only see the tips of the ruins peering above the tree tops because Jawdat points them out to you, it seems strange that were not marked on the map that Gregor took from Mayor Hardiman.
Just ahead the path starts to rise and turn, round the bend you know lies the over-turned broken cart.
I'm assuming Jawdat is still a falcon and invisible. If she keeps communicating telepathically and making no aggressive moves then she will stay invisible... unless Xeno cancels the spell. Out of combat/active events or actions, I'm happy to be more flexible with the number of holds in shape shifting as I think it's cooler!

Elbeyon
2015-06-15, 10:19 AM
>>It would be nice if everyone trudged, slowly to their certain doom. Hahaha.
I'm going to take a look around the area while you people check out the cart.<<

The momentary roost on caster's shoulder ends with anxious wings. Deciding to circle the cart Jawdat is on the look out for threats. Her eyes scanning the white roads then the surrounding area in the path's wake and the trees that wall them off.

>>Call me curious but what do you think of our traveling companions?<<

Yep, still shape shifted and invisible as far as I know. I'd leave holds alone. I've been doing fine without moves to spend hold (besides dismissing the shape), but I'll be asking for some moves as soon as something dangerous happens.

gremlin-pult
2015-06-15, 10:37 AM
"So, do we have to go by the goblin camp? It'll probably end in a fight..." Xeno says as they walk through the snow-covered landscape. "I mean, wouldn't it be better to find another way around? Or we could try and talk to the goblins. I know it didn't work out so well last time, but they're clever enough to build societies, so they are probably as interested in avoiding dangerous fights like we are, right? He asks in a hopeful tone.

EclecticGuru
2015-06-15, 12:44 PM
"It would add days to our journey to try to go around, and I am not certain we have the provisions or stamina to make a journey of that length." Morgan looked around at her companions. They probably all had the stamina. Morgan might even survive the trip. But the provisions were a valid concern.

"Turning back to town is, however, an option if you do not feel up to handling the danger."

The necromancer peered at Jawdat. It was odd to feel such a mind in what appeared to be a beast.

>>The dwarf seems like an important resource in this quest, and certainly respectable enough. Castor glows with a fate not of his own making, and he is blind to his own light that seeks to guide him from within. The man-child, on the other hand, his mind has been damaged, and requires healing. However, a deep wound, left unbandaged, will not heal, it will only fester. I fear his wound has gone untreated for too long. All I can do is attempt to bind it tightly, and hope that his sense return.<<

gremlin-pult
2015-06-15, 01:17 PM
"Its... its not about being able to handle it. I just don't like having to hurt people. And goblins are kinda people too..." Xeno answers, an uncomfortable look crossing his face before giving way to an only slightly forced smile. "Besides, the last goblins we met where a lot better at the whole hurting people thing than me. And I dont want anything to happen to you guys. You're my friends, after all."

Taking a few quick steps, Xeno straightens his back and squares his shoulders, a determined look on his face. "But dont worry Morgan. I promise to pull my weight. I can be tough, I swear. Thats part of being an adventurer."

Megatron46
2015-06-15, 03:10 PM
Jawdat's circling of the area reveals nothing! Her sharp raptor's eyes reveal nothing, the horses which pulled the cart are nowhere to be seen, there are no tracks, probably due to the falling snow. However, as you swoop closer you realise that the cart has been there, flipped onto its side, for some time. The surrounding forest is quiet, you see the movement of the odd small beast and your talons twitch, no signs of wolves, bears or other predators- either it's too close to the road for them to feel comfortable or they are absent from this area...which would be unusual!

jaydubs
2015-06-15, 11:15 PM
"Could we kill two birds with one stone, so to speak?" He peers about a little, unsure of where the invisible raptor now flies. "No offense Jawdat."

"What if we scoot off the road to take a look at this ruin, and avoid the goblins in the same loop? If it's not on the map, there's a reasonable chance there might be something worth taking a look at. Treasure, ancient tomes, or maybe even something related to whatever it is we're looking for."

Megatron46
2015-06-16, 02:52 PM
Gregor pauses, I know this part of Landfell, granted it's been a number of years since I was last here, but I don't remember any ruins at all! He looks at Castor, There is some merit in your idea of exploring these ruins, who knows what they may contain....but... a grimace crosses his face, avoiding Beirig's Point will add days to our journey...I cannot leave it that long. Do what you feel you must, but I will forge on ahead, one may sneak silently where a group might smash through!

Elbeyon
2015-06-16, 09:03 PM
Morgan can feel Jawdat's surprise as she gives her opinions on their traveling companions. The druid's feelings soon turn more positive as acceptance and respect form. A glimmer of her inner thoughts show a liking to her bluntness. Also, the fact that she's repeatedly telling herself not to swoop down and grab a nearby rodent. Not to flee from the humans on the road. Not to freak out at her own inability to see her wings. The thoughts repeating until like a flow of water they slowly dwindling to a dripping drop as the information terminates. >>Sorry.<<

>>I agree we can't go around. I won't be so bold as to agree with the dwarf's words, however. I'm in no hurry to turn my trudge into a sprint. I can only hope that he thinks he can handle whatever problems lie ahead by himself or else I'll have to see him as reckless. Perhaps, even manipulative. After we inspect the cart I do want to continue onward; however, I'd only do so as a group.<<

At castor's bird remark she caws aloud and laughs silently to Morgan, >>I kill and eat birds. An animal dying doesn't have to be a wrongdoing. You or he needn't watch all of your words so closely around me.<<

EclecticGuru
2015-06-17, 07:52 AM
Morgan considered, momentarily, relaying Jawdat's assurance that no offense was taken by the killing birds comment. But after that moment passed, she decided to err on the side of silence. To speak of the comment further would give it more credit than it was due.

>> I'm sure our lovely bard isn't going to lose any sleep over it. << Whether she intended to direct the thought to the invisible druid or if it rose to the surface unbidden, one could not be entirely sure.

"Let us inspect the cart, but let us take care to do so. The cart did not arrive here on its own, certainly. And its placement here may not be a coincidence. Be alert to danger, even more so than usual."

The young necromancer drew in a slow deep cold breath and held it in her lungs before slowly exhaling, a plume of frosty air exuded from her lips and nostrils.

Damn this cold. It was worse than a wight's tomb.

gremlin-pult
2015-06-17, 08:15 AM
"Okie-dokie, Morgan." Xeno says with a smile. "Maybe the wagon belongs to someone from the dwarf outpost. It might tell us something useful."

He pauses, a thoughtful expression on his face. "Or maybe there's some interesting and fascinating stuff in it."

"I hope there's something cool in the wagon, like a dragon egg, or a magic helmet... Or a magic dragon egg WEARING a helmet!" He mumbles to himself, skipping along energetically.

EclecticGuru
2015-06-17, 09:25 AM
Morgan growled quietly under her breath as Xeno gibbered about dragon eggs and helmets and other such nonsense.

Megatron46
2015-06-17, 09:35 AM
Rounding the bend you see the overturned wagon ahead of you, lying on its side as if it had been batted off the road! As you approach you see snow piled on the upturned side and piled high in a drift against the side, once the undercarriage.
If you wipe the snow off the surface you notice old, faded scorch marks marring the side and wheels facing the sky. The blackened wood and iron have clearly suffered in their travels, but the wagon held together, testament to it's dwarven design and manufacture.
The cloth flapping in the wind conceals the inside of the wagon and what it may contain...

jaydubs
2015-06-18, 11:11 AM
As they walk up, Castor sighs as he notes the burn marks. "I do hope it isn't actually a dragon."

He looks around a moment to see if anyone is going to do anything. He goes over the situation in his head. It's probably nothing, just an overturned cart. Great time to act heroic. I mean, I guess there could be a bear under there. Do bears live in wagons? That doesn't sound right. I'll ask Jawdat later, unless there is a bear under there.

He puffs up his chest and stands up. "No worry friends, I'll find out what's under there." He quietly makes his way forward, extending his rapier and using the tip to flip open the concealing cloth.

Megatron46
2015-06-18, 02:22 PM
Castor's sword tip flicks away the cloth, baring the wagons innards. The wood, blackened by flame, is scored and battered, dark stains which you guess are blood have seeped into the wood.
Lying in the wagon you see the corpses of two dwarfs, one curled up, the other stretched out, twisted, her back arched as if in pain, a look of agony on her face. Both are clad in leather and chain, on the shoulder of the second dwarf you see a symbol- a upright clenched iron gauntlet. Both corpses are stuck with crudely fletched arrows, Castor recognises them as goblin made- crude but still deadly. Carved into the flesh of the dwarves are hundreds of tiny runes; filled with black, dried blood they stand out stark against the frozen dead faces.
Suddenly a deathly howl rips from the throats of both dwarves, the runes glow and their eyes glow. Both lurch to their feet and lunge at the bard, hands out stretched, grasping, grabbing.
Castor's shock slows him as he twists and slips, unable to avoid their grasp as both take hold, their fingers digging into him. The first, the dwarf who was curled up, grabs Castor's leg. He manages to flick his sword point into the undead dwarf's chest but it's armour deflects the blow. He feels a searing cold burn into himat it's touch. The second dwarf seizes Castor's arm but his armour turns aside it's painful touch.

Damage Taken-
Dead Dwarf 1- 0
Dead Dwarf 2- 0
Castor- 1
Xeno- 0
Jawday- 0
Morgan- 0
Gregor- 0

Dwarf 1
Dwarf 2
Castor
Xeno/Morgan/Jawdat- whoever posts first
Gregor

EclecticGuru
2015-06-19, 01:26 AM
A normal person would revile from these unholy abominations -- the defilement of corpses, the black rune magic, the cold hungry undeath that consumed the two dwarves. Morgan, on the other hand, was intrigued. For the first time since they left the damned town, with all the misery of not being able to sleep -- of being cold all the time -- she felt ... normal.

This was what she did, these sorts of things were her expertise. They were terrible monsters, certainly, a corruption of life into something wicked. But more than that -- someone took a good deal of time, effort, and power .. to create them.

The craft itself, intrigued the young necromancer, and she took a moment to take their nature in. Surely she's seen, heard, or read about something like this before ... ?

Spout Lore: [roll0]

Megatron46
2015-06-19, 01:54 AM
This is indeed Dark Rune Magic- something your old master excelled in, but he was not the only one! An obscure practice even for the blackest of necromancers, this type of rune working takes time, a lot of time. You notice that the runes carved into the undead flesh have been done hastily. Whoever did this was either a novice working hard or a master working very, very fast!
The result is that you realise these abominations are vulnerable to arcane power- magic will inflict more damage than simple force of arms!

EclecticGuru
2015-06-19, 11:21 AM
"The dark runes are hastily, or incompetently, inscribed." She harkened back to her lessons with the Dread Necromancer for a moment. He had told her that schemes, plots, should never be executed in haste. That the fruit of each plot must be allowed to bear fruit. No, this was not his work, this was the work of a fool.

"Xeno, we must strike these rune-wights with the full force of our magic."

gremlin-pult
2015-06-19, 11:32 AM
"A-Alright!" Xeno answers hesitantly, glancing nervously back and forth between Morgan and the Undead dwarves. "I'll have to release my spell on Jawie first, though..."

As he prepares to gather his energy. Xeno catches a better glimpse of the horrific appearance of the dwarves, and can't help but take a step back. "How horrible... No one deserves to be killed and manipulated like that..." He whimpers, his face drawn in horror.
He then shakes his head, trying to focus on the magical energy needed to protect his friends.

jaydubs
2015-06-19, 09:53 PM
Castor hisses a bit at the touch of the creature. "Damn! Get off me dead thing!"

He attempts to slice at the creature's grip while slipping out of its grasp.

Here's another defy danger roll.
[roll0]

gremlin-pult
2015-06-20, 01:55 PM
As he releases the spell of invisibility, Xeno once more feels the necessary magical energy return. Pulling as much ambient energy as he can, he slowly raises a hand, palm upwards. "Caecus. Sagitta..." He utters with his eyes closed in concentration.

Xeno tries to cast Magic missile on the zombie dwarf attacking Castor.
Cast spell: [roll0]

Damage, if successful: [roll1]

But just as he senses the magical energies starting to coalesce, a sharp pang goes through his head as his headache returns with a vengeance.
"Ahhh..." He moans in equal parts pain and frustration, taking a step back and clutching his head.
With a violent shake he clears his head and turns his gaze on the dead dwarf ripping at his bard friend. "Vis!" He exclaims, and from his outstretched palm a brilliant spear of multi-colored energy soars forward, straight at the dwarf.

EclecticGuru
2015-06-20, 02:56 PM
"Excellent, Xeno! Excellent!" Morgan shouted, her usual calm discipline disrupted by her zeal for arcane knowledge, her thirst for power, her blissful delight at overcoming foes through a combination of the two.

>>Jawdat, now! Strike while the iron is hot!<< The slender necromancer extended a hand toward the rune-wights and bent her arm slightly at the elbow while clenching her upturned fist in the universally recognized sign-language signal of CRUSH THEM.

Megatron46
2015-06-21, 11:32 AM
Castor struggles free of the undead horrors, his skin crawling at their touch, he whips his blade round, it's razor sharp tip sliding between the armour digging deep into the undead flesh! It roars, it's mouth widening more than would be natural it's teeth broken and jagged. As it's mouth opens you hear a high pitched whine, Dear God please help me, help me, in Openne's name, PLEASE,".
As soon as Castor is free Xeno runs forward and the circling Jawdat appears in her falcon form high above the combat! The lance of power streaks from the young mage's hand and strikes the dead thing's chest, it falls to the ground, whatever unholy energies animating it leaving it's lifeless corpse. The other dwarf turns and snarls at Xeno, it's dead eyes fixed on him!

Damage Taken-
Dead Dwarf 1- 11- Dead
Dead Dwarf 2- 0
Castor- 1
Xeno- 0
Jawday- 0
Morgan- 0
Gregor- 0

Dwarf 1
Dwarf 2
Castor
Xeno/Morgan/Jawdat- whoever posts first
Gregor

EclecticGuru
2015-06-21, 07:03 PM
Reassessing the situation, the corner of Morgan's lips curved up in a cruel sneer at the dwarf that had turned its attention on Xeno. With a slight arching of a carefully sculpted eyebrow, she unclenched her fist and turned it, palm down, toward the squatly formed rune-wraith.

"Pilum Arcanum!" A dark energy formed around her hand, building up in power, before she thrust it toward the abomination.

Cast Spell (Magic Missile) [roll0]
Damage (If successful) [roll1]

Megatron46
2015-06-22, 01:55 AM
Morgan's spell wraps round the undead dwarf and it writhes in agony as the dark runes clash with her own necromantic power!

Damage Taken-
Dead Dwarf 1- 11- Dead
Dead Dwarf 2- 4
Castor- 1
Xeno- 0
Jawdat- 0
Morgan- 0
Gregor- 0

Dwarf 1
Dwarf 2
Castor
Xeno
Morgan
Jawdat
Gregor

Megatron46
2015-06-24, 09:13 AM
Jawdat’s form appears high in the winter sky as Xeno draws his magic back into himself! Her falcon’s eyes targeting the undead creature and she plummets. Extending her talons she drives them into its skull, ripping out a chunk of flesh before spiralling back up into the sky with a piercing shriek.
Gregor’s eyes narrow Abominations! In the eyes of Huw and Openne you are unnatural horrors! Go back to where you belong The dwarven cleric charges forward, his tattoos suddenly glowing a bright white as he swing his hammer, smashing it into the undead’s torso but it’s armour turns aside the blow. As the undead dwarf continues to plead and wail for death, its mouth opened wide in a twisted grimace of horror and rage, it lashes out at Gregor, hooked fingers reaching and rending. The cleric scrambles back and raises his shield in time to block the beast’s attack.
The horror suddenly turns its gaze on Xeno, its undead eyes fill with unholy glee, dark ichor streaking down its face from the druid’s attack and with blistering speed charges the young mage. Ploughing through the snow it grasps at Xeno, its fingers gouging into his flesh, ripping and tearing. The wizard slips his hands down to his staff and lashes out, catching the dead thing in the side of its head, staggering it slightly …

Damage Taken-
Dead Dwarf 1- 11- Dead
Dead Dwarf 2- 9
Castor- 1
Xeno- 3
Jawdat- 0
Morgan- 0
Gregor- 0

Dwarf 1
Dwarf 2
Castor- YOUR TURN
Xeno
Morgan
Jawdat
Gregor

jaydubs
2015-06-25, 03:50 AM
Castor brings his blade up, and begins to whisper out a chain of cutting words onto the metal surface. They form a weave of flowing letters over the held weapon, and their sharpened tones snicker-snack around the rapier as he drives it towards the undead dwarf.

Arcane Art: [roll0]
Hack and Slash: [roll1]
Damage if successful: [roll2] plus [roll3]

Megatron46
2015-06-25, 06:33 AM
Castor's magic flows down the blade, the dancing letters shift and swirl as the bard darts forward. The undead monster turns at the last minute, the blade missing by a hair's breadth and Castor loses his footing in the snow and falls.
It's dead eyes now fixed on the helpless Castor rather than Xeno it lashes out again. It's fingers, jagged bone having ripped through the skin, score down the back of Castor's armour, blunting it's damage slightly but still hurting the bard, you feel blood seeping out from these fresh wounds.

Damage Taken-
Dead Dwarf 1- 11- Dead
Dead Dwarf 2- 9
Castor- 4
Xeno- 3
Jawdat- 0
Morgan- 0
Gregor- 0

Dwarf 1
Dwarf 2
Castor
Xeno- YOUR TURN
Morgan
Jawdat
Gregor

gremlin-pult
2015-06-25, 08:02 AM
"NO!" Xeno yells desperately. "Leave my friend alone, you horrible thing!"
He spreads out his arms and moves them through a circular motion, his hands meeting midway to both point palm first towards the dead dwarf.

"Caecus, Sagitta, Vis!"

Xeno casts Magic missile once more.
cast spell:
[roll0]

Damage, if successful:
[roll1]

Much like previously, a mulit-colored spear of energy surges out from his hands and soars toward the dwarf, hitting with tremendous force in a burst of light.
As the spell is released, however, it is followed by Xeno's migraine which returns with twice the intensity of before. With a moan of pain Xeno falls to his knees, clutching his head. ​"Ahhh, it hurts..."

Megatron46
2015-06-25, 09:45 AM
Xeno's power slams into the dwarf, smashing it to the ground; whatever dark magicks giving it un-life leaving its ruined corpse.
Gregor stumps up, glaring at the bodies, he drops his hammer and shield, turning over the bodies, both dwarves have the clenched gauntlet sigil on their armour, Ahhhhh, the Gods bless them, they're from Admira's Tor; this sigil is their garrison's. He looks up the others, Do any of you need healing? Huw's grace can mend your wounds!

One of you can heal 8 hp the other can heal 2hp

gremlin-pult
2015-06-25, 10:28 AM
"Well, I wouldn't say no to a bit of healing..." Xeno says, sitting back on his rump with a tired sigh, then starting to inspect the wounds he got from the undead. "But what I would like even more is to rest. My magic backlashed more than usual today, and I'm not sure I could do much with it until this headache goes away."
Turning to look at the sun and the mountains in turn, He scratches his head gingerly.
"Also, if we continue I don't think we'd be there before night. I dont think it would be smart to go through the pass at night. We might fall, or something. And can't goblins see in the dark 'n stuff?"

jaydubs
2015-06-29, 10:59 PM
Castor rubs appreciatively at the now-closed wound on his back. "Thank you Gregor. Feels much better." He then nods at Xeno's suggestion, brushing off some of the dirt from the scuffle. "Sounds good to me. You did pretty good back there, and I want you in top shape covering my back if we're likely to meet those things again." He throws the young man a grin.

He turns meaningfully towards Morgan, raising a questioning eyebrow. "Does that seem likely to you? Running into more of those things, I mean."

Megatron46
2015-06-30, 02:55 PM
The dwarven cleric straightens, Huw's grace upon you, he raises his hand in a small blessing. Surveying the battle site, Well done, these horrors took us unaware. I haven't seen this type of magic before. He peers at the corpses, I haven't seen this type of necromancy before, he traces some of the runes with a blunt forefinger. Dark, an abhorrence to Openne and Huw. He scans the horizon, We should move quickly, these two are from the Tor and were clearly hunted, killed and placed here as some form of trap. Others may come and investigate.
Between you quickly search the bodies and the wagon, the bodies give up little reward; the armour is broken and battered beyond use, but Gregor cuts the sigil from the shoulder of one of the dwarves. The wagon however yields a little more. Castor finds a secret compartment which contains a fine bow, a quiver of arrows and a small pouch of coins.
We shouldn't stay here, we should make camp a safe distance away. Morgan, what do you recommend we do with the bodies? Bury them, burn them? Are they likely to rise again?
The wagon contains-
A fine bow- near, far 2 weight
A quiver of arrows- 3 ammo 1 weight
A pouch of 30 gold

EclecticGuru
2015-06-30, 04:45 PM
"Those things were haphazardly designed," Morgan announced with some glee at the encounter. It reminded her of better times. As the apprentice to a megalomanical .... were they really better?

They felt better. But they also felt ... wasteful. Still, she wasn't exactly bad at being an evil apprentice. She seemed to be better at that than at being .. whatever this was.

An adventurer? Was she turning into some kind of adventurer? Was adventuress a better word? Identity crises were such a pain in the butt.

She looked over the loot, then she addressed her companions. "I doubt they'll rise again. They barely rose this time -- they were what my ... teacher ... called Rune Wraiths. Dark magic for sure, but this .. this was done poorly. Rushed. A real disgrace to the profession."

She drew her surprisingly red lower lip between her teeth and nibbled at it.

"I'd like to take one of their heads. Perhaps, when we camp, I can discover what happened at the Tor."

The young necromancer looked between her companions. "Are any of you up to sawing a head off, or should we just bring a whole corpse?" She spoke the words with more comfort than anyone should feel at casually discussing the desecration of a corpse.

But to be fair, these corpses came quite thoroughly pre-desecrated already.

Megatron46
2015-07-01, 03:42 PM
At Morgan's words Gregor nods.Hmmmmm, you speak wide words Mage. There are those who can speak to the dead, if you are one then this could be invaluable knowledge to us. He steps towards one of the corpses pulling a large knife from his belt.
There is a puff of snow as Jawdat lands and her form blends and shifts until the elf stands before you. She holds out her hand for the knife wordlessly. Gregor flips it and passes it to her. With brutal efficiency the Druid begins to sever the head. Right then. Let's find a place to camp far enough from both here and Beirig's Point.

gremlin-pult
2015-07-01, 05:16 PM
Looking at the grissly bodies, Xeno swallows audibly, before turning to Gregor. "When we were fighting, they... talked."
He says uncertainly, looking profoundly uncomfortable at the whole situation. "I mean, they were dead, thats obvious, but... Do you think they were still here? in their bodies, I mean? where they trapped in their bodies, forced to watch all this happen?" He asks, sadness evident in his otherwise tired expression.

jaydubs
2015-07-01, 10:36 PM
Castor crawls out from searching under the wagon, a grin on his face and on the verge of whistling a happy tune. He chokes down a mouthful of glib words as he realizes the solemn moment being exchanged outside, and trades his smile for a mask of seriousness. Looking down at the decapitated dwarf, not all that much acting is required.

"Not to detract from the discussion, but I found some items in the overturned wagon. Considering we..." He thinks a moment for the right turn of phrase. "...put them to rest, and that we're expecting to look into what's causing this to happen, I doubt the former owners will mind us putting the cache to use." He slings the bow and quiver over his shoulder, and then takes 3 coins from a bag before passing the rest of the gold to the group.

After a moment, Castor puts a hand on Xeno's shoulder. "Let's take a moment and bury these people. The ground might be pretty hard, but we can put them under some of these stones from the side of the road. And Gregor will say some words for the dead."

EclecticGuru
2015-07-01, 11:16 PM
Morgan wasn't at all interested in toiling in this cold godforsaken wilderness, in what was increasingly becoming mountainous terrain. She wasn't about to dig any graves, that's for sure. She knew a burial wasn't going to save their souls from the Void. But she also understood, at least on some level, what Castor was trying to accomplish.

It wasn't for the Rune Wraiths. It was for Xeno; and, maybe Gregor too a little.

She took some time preserving the head for a future necromantic ritual, while the others did whatever it was they needed to do to make themselves feel better. Morgan knew too much, had seen too much, to be so easily self-deluded about the horrors of the world -- or more appropriately -- the horrors that could be called into the world from the emptiness beyond.

gremlin-pult
2015-07-02, 06:24 AM
"I'd like that. They deserve to be treated properly." Xeno says, giving Castor a smile. He then starts rifling through his backpack, pulling various items out and putting them back, before finding what he is looking for.
"Aha!" He exclaims triumphantly, pulling out a short, travel-sized spade. "This'll make digging the graves a cinch."

I took the liberty of including a travel-spade in the adventuring gear. I imagine that it would not be uncommon for something like that to be included in miscellaneous camping gear.

As he starts looking for a likely spot to dig, Xeno looks up thoughtfully. "I wonder who did this to those poor dwarves... Maybe the goblins? Can goblins do that?" He asks out loud, as much to himself as to the others.

Megatron46
2015-07-03, 05:17 AM
Fine for the spade, mark off one use of your adventuring gear!
Xeno, Castor and Gregor bury the dead, Xeno's enthusiastic attack of the frozen ground yields a shallow grave with a small cairn of stones rising above it. Jawdat watches Morgan's preservation of the Rune Wraith's head with interest.
Gregor stands for a moment before speaking his voice a bass rumble, We return you both to the Father Stone. May his guiding hand see you to the after life! He raises his hand and mutters under his breath, you see the small stone cairn fuse together, Hrrh he gruntsNothing will disturb them now! Are we ready? I suggest we get off the road back into the forest. You make your way into the woods, shielding yourselves from prying eyes and make your camp!

jaydubs
2015-07-06, 01:33 PM
Before their shifts start, Castor takes a moment to speak with Xeno and Morgan about something that's been on his mind. "Do you remember what Roderick asked me back in town? About learning magic? I was serious about that." He flips open the songbook from his pack, revealing the beginnings of arcane spells hidden among the musical works.

"I've been trying to learn the art on my own. I've even been able to piece together a few spells from some of the larger libraries, and I think I'm ready to begin trying them out. But there are still bits I don't understand, and the magic is definitely... different from what I'm accustomed to using. I guess what I'm saying is, I could use some direction moving forward." He points towards Xeno's aching head. "Especially in regards to its limitations, and potential hazards. The lore tend to accentuate the power far more than the risks."

He points to a particular entry in the book. "I even have one I'd like to try tonight. It's a sort of perimeter warning spell, for keeping watch."

gremlin-pult
2015-07-06, 01:56 PM
"That sounds nice. I'll be happy to help you learn magicking." Xeno says with a smile. He glances at Castors book, but his expression remains blank of any understanding. "I'm not sure how much help I can be, though. I kinda just go with the bits I remember and then what feels right."
Pulling out his own spellbook, Xeno opens it, revealing that its written in either another language or some sort of code.
"You see, whoever wrote this book, maybe me, did it differently from yours. I kinda remember how to read some of the spells, like my magic arrow and vanishing spell." He says, pointing to different pages, that look as illegible as the rest to anyone else. "But the rest I have no idea how to read. I kinda just woke up one day remembering the ones I know, so I guess that could happen with the rest as well..."
Xeno chews on his lower lip thoughtfully for a moment, before sitting up straight and smiling enthusiastically.
"But I CAN tell you about some of the bad stuff that can happen. See, when I do magicking, I pull in the power around me, says the words that fit to form the spell, and release it. Sometimes it can go wrong and the spell doesn't work. Other times it works, but gives me a headache, or works out a bit differently than I want it to. The weirdest is when the spell works, but then I immediately forget it. Then I have to read it again."

Megatron46
2015-07-06, 03:16 PM
As you talk Gregor makes a small camp fire, taking tea out of his pack he makes a pot and hands it around. He nods in appreciation at Castor's spell casting. Ay, that'll help! Didn't know you were a magic user lad, thought you were a singer of songs, a teller of tales... his eyes flick up and down the bard's armour, A friend to the ladies..., his eyes crinkle in amusement. Still that'll help tonight... those things, those ... Rune Wraith's you called them? he glances at Morgan for confirmation, An abomination in the eyes of Huw and Openne, I've faced the undead before, but they are...something different... they seemed trapped inside still! That's not something I'd wish on anyone....well few people. He lights his pipe and sits back, sipping his tea. You talk a for an hour or two before the sun sets and the temperature drops.
The first watches pass uneventfully, even Castor and Xeno's first watch, where neither pay particular attention as they are engrossed in a discussion of magic. As the night progresses, Jawdat uncurls from her hole in the snow and shifts from wolf to elf and nudges Gregor awake.
The cleric and druid replace mage and bard and take their positions, eyes scanning the darkness beneath the clear night sky. Morgan replaces Gregor who stumps back to bed and is asleep almost before his head hits the pillow.
The druid and necromancer gaze into the night, Morgan feels Jawdat's eyes glittering in the darkness looking at her before they flick back to the surrounding night, scanning the area surrounding the camp.
As dawn breaks, Morgan senses...something up ahead! How far and what it is she is not sure, but it has the flavour of darkness, something akin to the Rune Wraiths...but different.
Mark off a ration and if you level up deduct 8 xp from your total and just tell me what stat you've increased and what advanced moves/spells you've chosen :smallsmile:

jaydubs
2015-07-07, 10:43 AM
"Thanks Xeno. Though that sounds disconcertingly unpredictable. I suppose that's why they call it an art and not a science." Castor continues to pick Xeno's brain throughout the night, grateful for the assistance, but somewhat frustrated by the answers. Perhaps Xeno could tell me more if we figured out what happened to his memories, Castor thinks to himself.

In the morning, he takes breakfast as usual, adding spell preparation to his daily routine for the first time. After freshening up a bit, he makes his way over to Morgan.

"So... it's been a day now, and my curiosity is just about at wit's end. When do we find out why you're keeping one of the heads?" He points somewhat hesitantly in the general direction of her gear.

EclecticGuru
2015-07-07, 12:27 PM
"The Rune Wraiths are not mere necromancy. They're dread necromancy. The wheel of the cycle of life and death is broken, worn down, through the work of the gods, who too often work against each other, at cross purposes, instead of accepting that each has a role in the balance of the universe."

Morgan paused in the middle of her explanation, as she warmed her hands by rubbing them together. Then she stopped even that in a moment of high drama. She lifted her gaze to the distance. She swiftly made sure each of her companions was awake. Morgan did not have the usual miserable, pained look she had when dealing with the drudgery of pushing through the deep snow and withstanding the cold winds that were like daggers in .... well, she didn't look like that at all.

She had a slight, excited smile on her lips and that could mean only one thing.

Something horrible was going on.

She silenced each of her companions with a long slender, red-nailed fingertip across their lips as she alerted them, and motioned quietly in the direction she had sensed the ... disturbance in the Void. When they were all alerted, the young necromancer spoke a quiet, excited whisper.

"Something lies ahead. Something ... terrible."

Yes. You were right all along. Horrors.

Morgan took the time that the party needed to comprehend and prepare to do her hair in its neat, tight updo. Why she wanted to look her best for unnatural terrors one could only guess.

gremlin-pult
2015-07-07, 05:01 PM
"Something terrible?" Xeno says nervously, clutching his staff in front of him. "It really must be something bad, if someone brave like you calls it terrible..."
He walks up behind Morgan, looking past her in the direction she indicated.
"Well dont worry Morgan, I'm gonna protect you and the others, just like you guys protect me. I got more magic now, and some of it is way easier to do than yesterday. I can remember more of the magic words that feel right, too." He says, trying to look braver and bigger than he is.

Megatron46
2015-07-08, 09:02 AM
Horror's? More of those Rune Wraiths you think, or something different? Gregor finishes packing his gear, stamps out the fire and stretches his back until it clicks. What're your plans? Do we head for Beirig's Point and the goblins or do you head round?

EclecticGuru
2015-07-08, 01:42 PM
"Similar. But different than the Rune Wraiths. Hopefully whatever they are, or it is, they are properly constructed instead of that haphazard job that was done on the dwarves." Morgan finished doing up her hair. It seemed they'd have some time before whatever monstrosity that was out there would strike -- perhaps it was lying in wait -- either way, Morgan had some work to do.

She fished out the head from the bag in which it had been stowed. It still had those corrupt runes inscribed upon its flesh.

She smiled just slightly and prepared a fresh pole for the head to rest upon. It was a desecration of the dead, by any judgment, and despite the presence of a priest, she continued unabated and unabashed.

Once she had it secured in place, she began the Speak with Dead spell.

"Dimitte mortuos loqueris!"

While she used tried and true arcane methods to channel the power, it was most assuredly the abominable, some might say unholy, energies of the Void that made this spell possible.

Her eyes were alight with a cold pale blue-gray energy, the same which surrounded her hands as they moved in complicated patterns, the after-image of which created neat little sigils in the air before her whose half-life was measured in 10ths of seconds at most -- to call them lingering would be overly generous.

She expended the power with an upward clenching of her hand into a fist, and a narrowing of her eyes.

"Exsuscito!!"

Speak with Dead!
[roll0]

Megatron46
2015-07-08, 03:20 PM
As Morgan casts the spell Gregor shifts uncomfortably, narrowing his eyes he stares at the necromancer and the desecrated head. Unconsciously he slips the hammer from its belt loop and it hangs loosely yet ready in his hand.
The magic builds and you all feel your skin crawl as it writhes invisibly across you through the air.
At Morgan's shout the eyes snap open and stare at her, a leer crosses it's face and it rolls it's dead eyes; flicking to each of you in turn. As it's gaze falls on you unimaginable horror floods your mind before it breaks and fixes it's eyes back on the necromancer. It's mouth opens wide, broken rotting teeth on show and a voice spills out like silk dragged across broken glass, We see you.... We know you now...we can taste you... The rictus grin stretches even wider and it's tongue extends lasciviously, obscenely before the face falls slack, the dark runes writhing and twisting on the skin.

gremlin-pult
2015-07-08, 03:42 PM
"Uuuhhmm..." Xeno says, swallowing audibly before continuing. "I'm not, like, an expert on bad stuff, since I try to stay clear of it, but that was really bad, right?" He asks, looking around at the others.

Forcing himself not to look at the grissly display the head makes, he starts fiddling with the hem of his hat, pulling it down over his eyes. "I mean, it , uhh, said it knows us now. That can't be good. It could mean traps and stuff in the future, right? I... I think maybe this.." He gestures in the direction of the head, still not looking directly at it. "This might be connected to the magic maelstrom. The magic in this just feels wrong, and..." He trails of, obviously unsure about what point he was making.

"This is a bit over my head. This is stuff for clever, heroic people. I, I just wanted an adventure, and to help someone..."
He mumbles, looking throughly miserable at the prospect of this whole situation being more than he can grasp.

EclecticGuru
2015-07-08, 06:18 PM
Despite the rather unexpected result of her spellcasting, Morgan was not entirely displeased by the result. Except for the one moment of unpleasant empathy she felt as her companions were terrorized by the manifestation (she had been terrorized so many times in the past, it was kind of like how a chef gets used to burned fingertips), she seemed downright thrilled.

While obviously the Speak with Dead spell was not going to be effective with these Rune Wraiths, there sometimes was even more to learn through failure than through success.

Of course, in this case, the enemy had learned plenty (him?)self. But that just meant that, despite the incompetent rune inscription, whoever opposed them was competent after all.

Discern Reality!
[roll0]

Holy Moly!

3 questions:

Who is really in control here?

What is about to happen?

"The link established goes both ways, Xeno. Fear not. This was not my first time communing with the spirits of the Void."

She plucked the head, with the runes still writhing, from its spike and tossed it onto the embers of the breakfast fire. It flared up sharply, not in proper flames, but in the same unwholesome arcane fire that ran through the runes, and which illuminated Morgan's eyes and hands when she had cast the Speak with Dead spell.

The young necromancer smiled at the flare-up and nodded her head, as she gazed into what necromancers call the Darklight.

"It is not we who should be afraid. For, in this case, we are the hunters. And they ..." The slim woman smoothed her fingers over the delicate yet elaborate embroidery of her wizard robe. "... And they are the prey."

The campfire flared up one last time before consuming the head entirely in a brilliant flare of darklight, which remained captured like a mote within Morgan's gaze.

jaydubs
2015-07-09, 01:41 AM
Castor blinks for a few moments. "I'm quite glad you did that in the morning, Morgan. Because it was almost creepier than the actual zombies were."

He shakes his head and then looks towards Gregor, going back to address the issue of the goblins. "Consider the following." He starts to tick off points on his fingers.

"The goblins would not be here if Admira's Tor were unscathed. We have dead dwarves, brought back by foul magic. Morgan has sensed a dark power on our path forward. And Xeno has discovered some kind of magical convergence in that general direction." He shakes his head sadly. "This suggests to me that your people are either under seige or overcome by magic users versed in necromancy, who are even now drawing magic for some dark purpose."

He points north towards Beirig's Point. "But we don't know how the goblins are involved. Did they actively assist in attacking the Tor, knowing it would expose the southlands? Are they simply taking advantage of a weakness? Or are they fleeing from these same necromantic forces? In any case, they should know something of what lies ahead for us. And we should take steps to speak to one of them, either by force or otherwise."

He asks Jawdat to sketch out the layout of the goblin camp, to better plan out any potential approach. "It's still up for debate, I think. But let's assume for a moment we want to approach Beirig's Point. We can try to speak to the goblins, but they are often hostile, and then we give up the element of surprise. We can try to abduct one of their number in isolation, but it seems they are on the guard for approaching enemies. Or we can assault the camp in force, and make sure to leave some alive for questioning. But there are 8 of them, at least one of which is a magic user, and 3 worgs above and beyond that. Not an impossible fight, but certainly not an easy one either. And it greatly reduces any chance of an alliance, unusual as that might be, should the goblins themselves have been driven from their lands."

He looks around at the others, waiting for their opinions on the situation.

Does Castor know anything useful about goblins? Political situation, customs, etc.?
[roll0]

gremlin-pult
2015-07-09, 08:30 AM
"Thats a good idea." Xeno says, his mood improving instantly at the thought of talking instead of fighting. "Goblins don't like other races, but they probably dislike undead even more. Most living people do, from what I've heard. I think we should talk to them. Upfront. If we go straight to them, showing that we don't wanna fight, they'll be less likely to just attack. I think..."
He says.
Scrunching his brows together in concentration, Xeno tries to remember if he has heard or read anything that might help. Food goblins like, or gifts. Anything that might win their trust. He thought he might have read a book on Goblin phrases while living with Martha and Wesley. or was it Troll phrases? Or Elf?

[roll0]

After a moment a few pieces click together in Xeno's mind, and he jumps up excitedly. "I remember something!" He yells, dancing around himself happily, before recalling that he has yet to share the information. "Auntie Martha told me loads of stuff she learned about goblins when she was younger." He says, blushing slightly at his own scatter-mindedness. "See, If you wanna talk with goblins, you try to talk to their Shaman. And when goblins wanna talk with other goblin tribes, they bring a gift to the shaman. I think it's usually a live animal. An "offering of flesh", Auntie Martha called it."

Megatron46
2015-07-09, 09:40 AM
Jawdat steps forward, outwardly calm, but inwardly burning at the abomination's words, the very thing itself an affront to Huw! She squats and smooth's out a patch of snow, drawing quickly while she speaks. Beirig's Point a narrow entrance, widening to a roughly circular central area, before narrowing again to exit the other side of the pass. I would think dwarven stone-singers have shaped what was a useful natural rock formation into this. The entrance and exit are both wide enough for two people, maybe three or four goblins, to fight side by side, and the mountain walls rise high either side levelling out into a small plateau, accessible by some stairs carved into the stone. The goblin Kraal have one archer on watch atop one of the plateau facing south with a horn to warn of any approach. In the central space the remaining archers and goblin spear carriers drilled or rested. Slightly off to one side is a large tent which the shaman was using; the worgs were just resting, they seemed to have no set base.
Gregor looks toward Xeno and claps him on the shoulder, Good to know lad, that may make a difference, could avoid a fight... but we need still be wary! Thanks Jawdat, I feel others need to know about this. Would you fly back to Blackwater and inform Mayenne and the other members of the town council?

jaydubs
2015-07-09, 10:58 AM
Castor clasps forearms with Jawdat, in the manner of those who have fought together in battle. "It was good working with you Jawdat. Though I would ask one thing before you go. Is there any aid or advice you can provide in capturing a live animal? It's something we will need if we are to carry out Xeno's plan. And I think nature will not judge us harshly, since we are working to purge a threat of undeath from her lands." Castor does glance surreptitiously in Morgan's direction as he says these last words, entirely unsure how she will take them given her... excitement during the most recent brushes with necromancy.

EclecticGuru
2015-07-09, 11:12 AM
Morgan didn't react to Castor's chastisement of undeath at all. Her investment wasn't personal, it was professional. And she remained aloof through the whole back and forth.

She did comment however.

"The shamans of the goblins have taboos regarding necromancy, and they do not knowingly participate in it. They're more the blood sacrifice sort -- serving the elemental forces of death and destruction directly. The idea of something not dying properly is as anethma to them as it is to you."

Note she didn't say as it is to us.

"Whatever we end up doing, we shouldn't tarry long here. Unfortunately my spell has brought attention down on us here, and its likely whatever force of evil that is working against us is moving its pieces on the board to capture this square."

She looked at the pile of stuff that she was supposed to carry and groaned inwardly. She wasn't going to do it the hard way today. No, not at all. Not today, and not under these circumstances.

"Portandum!"

Casting the Unseen Servant Spell.

[roll0]

An unseen spiritual force began to move around the camp, speeding up their departure by invisibly gathering up the gear and loot. The look on Morgan's pale face was one of self-satisfaction.

"We should be very careful to discern, in dealing with these goblins, whether they are willing allies of the forces that worked against Gregor's people, or if they were simply unwitting pawns, being forced to move against us by dark hands unseen to even them."

Megatron46
2015-07-10, 01:52 AM
Jawdat grips Castor's arm firmly in return. And with you, Castor, all of you! She grins, I can find you an offering of flesh before I go! The elf's form twists and bends and the familiar sight of the falcon soars into the early morning air. She circles for a few moments before you see her plummet to the ground in a fast stoop. A moment later you see her rise with some struggling in her talons. The falcon swoops down and drops a stunned hare into Castor's waiting hands, before circling, letting out a falcon's cry in farewell and heading back towards Blackwater.
Gregor steps forward, If we need to leave this place as it is now unsafe we should walk and plan, we will reach Beirig's Point in 3 or so hours if we march straight there.
Barrack
It's been three days since you left the Blackwater Brewery and you have been debating the wisdom of leaving home in midwinter! Still, you have had your first adventure, yesterday you encountered a small group of goblins roaming the forest, 2 of them, and your training proved worthy of the task.
You have been trekking generally North, making your way towards the mountains and Beirig's Point, the pass to cross them. You have now entered a part of Landfell you do not know and need to gain your bearings as the forest is thick around you!
Award yourself 1 xp for the goblins. Write yourself 1 bond for now, when you meet up with the party you can write the rest. Your bond could be about family, or your hopes or a desire for adventure etc.

EclecticGuru
2015-07-10, 08:53 AM
"We need to go, yes. Now. Try not to leave anything valuable behind." Morgan was so serious about leaving immediately that she was trudging through the snow ahead of the party, breaking the fresh snow.

The down side was that she quickly was unable to feel her feet anymore. She was not good at this adventuring nonsense. She thought perhaps this might be her last adventure. There had to be a better way to turn over a new leaf.

jaydubs
2015-07-10, 11:06 AM
Castor seems almost as surprised as the hare for a second, before quickly stuffing it into an empty pouch in his backpack. On noting Morgan's rapid departure, he takes another careful look at Jawdat's map, locking it into his mind, before quickly following suit.

"So we've got this offering of flesh. Can we just call up to a sentry, 'We bring an offering of flesh and wish to parley with your shaman?' Or is this going to be a game of tag, where we have to get to him and tag home before the other goblins kill us?"

EclecticGuru
2015-07-10, 12:18 PM
"Three options. Approach as superiors and attempt to dominate them. Approach as inferiors and surrender to them. Or approach as equals and negotiate with them. Anything else would be a variation of one of those."

Morgan's early fast start slowed down, as she let Gregor, Xeno, or Castor take the lead in breaking the snow. There was a limit to how much intensity the young necromancer could maintain in walking.

gremlin-pult
2015-07-10, 12:18 PM
"I'm... not sure." Xeno says, scratching his cheek thoughtfully. "I don't know any Goblin language, but I think if we walk up to their camp openly, with our hands held out with palms up, they won't attack immediately. And if you then hold the hare above your head, they'll probably get it." He continues, while packing his gear.

"Hopefully, one of them will know enough common to talk to us, but we'll see. I'm sure it'll work out, somehow." Xeno says, flashing Castor a smile and then trotting of after Morgan, humming tunelessly, but cheerfully.
Picking up his pace, he moves up beside her, still smiling happily.
"Hey Morgan, I've been thinking. When this is over, I mean, when we've found out about the dwarf outpost, and the weird magic going on, We could all travel west together. It'd be warmer, which I know you'd like, and we could visit Auntie Martha and Uncle Wesley. I'd really like for them to meet you guys, since they were worried I would be a bit too excentric to find good travelling buddies. I especially think Auntie Martha would like you, since you both get a bit... snippy with me when I'm doing or saying something stupid. It really helps me, since I don't always think about stuff." ​

Prehysterical
2015-07-10, 03:00 PM
The past three days have been the hardest that Barrack has ever known. Sleeping out in the cold, away from either hearth or home, was more taxing than he had anticipated. Still, Da had made it clear that he was worried for the future and Barrack couldn't just sit on his hands. The pair of goblins he encountered proved to be enough of a diversion, but they were no different than any other greenskin raiders he had dealt with before. He knew he was heading north, as something about the mountains called to him, but Barrack didn't know where he was exactly. As much as he wanted to say otherwise, he was hopelessly lost in the forest. Barrack's feet trudge through the snow and his hammer is slung over his shoulder as he tries to find some landmark that his could have mentioned in passing.

jaydubs
2015-07-11, 07:47 PM
Castor nods. "Well, I'm not looking to bow down to some goblins. And I'm not sure we could cow them if we wanted, considering the margin by which they outnumber us. Negotiation makes the most sense. As to just walking up with the hare held high, I'm willing to chance it. Their parley ritual wouldn't be known if they shot everyone trying to offer it up."

As Xeno moves to talk with Morgan, Castor takes a moment aside with Gregor. "You've taken up quite the burden, trying to investigate the Tor by yourself. That's pretty heroic in my mind, but it also makes me wonder. I'd expect a bit more dwarven backup to be at hand, if we're to be honest. Why aren't they to be found? And are you just trying to go the extra mile, or do you know some folk up there you're trying to find?"

Megatron46
2015-07-15, 03:26 AM
Barrack
You search for anything familiar, but you recognise nothing! Choosing any direction you stamp off, cursing and muttering, digging in your pack for some food!
Spend one Dungeon Ration to regain energy after a wasted search
Castor, Xeno, Morgan
Your hastily pack up and head out, Morgan's invisible servant making everything quicker. As you discuss your options, Gregor chips in, I'd say we don't approach subservient, who knows what they'll do if they think we're weak! We either go in as equals, open handed but ready, or go in hard and fast, prove our strength and then seek to parley!
You move out up the trail, Gregor looks up as Castor drops back, listening to the bards comments and questions, Well lad... he pauses, I do know some of the garrison at the Tor, it's not family as such, but a friend or two! But that's only part of it, the Tor contains a seasoned garrison, veterans, it is unlikely that they would fall! If it has.... he sighs and he suddenly looks older, and I fear you are right, it will have fallen, he passes a hand across his eyes, then something must have done it! Something dangerous... or clever... or both! We are stretched thin Castor, we have been waging a war against the greenskins for a long time and this surge is not unusual but it seems to be worse here. That's why I was sent, to investigate and to try and recruit allies as we have some forces but not many! If you want to call it heroism, that is generous of you, but necessity drives it! This dark necromancy is troubling, it could be opportunistic or something far worse!
You plough your way through the snow, making quicker progress with Morgan's magic, but you hear some crashing and bashing and cursing in the forest to your right!

jaydubs
2015-07-15, 11:30 AM
Castor speaks in low tones to his companions. "We should investigate that disturbance. If we're lucky, it's a goblin, and we can get our answers fast and easy. If it's the threat Morgan was talking about, we'll have the element of surprise." He points at the mess of snow behind them. "And since it's not exactly going to be hard tracking us, I'd rather not have it at our backs all day, especially since the goblins are going to be in front of us."

EclecticGuru
2015-07-15, 02:17 PM
Morgan didn't want to commit to seeing anyone's relatives, especially when, with Xeno involved, Morgan couldn't be sure he even knew who his relatives were. It could all be false memories, or deranged inventions of a damaged mind. No, it was clear something was off with Xeno, and she didn't want to encourage any derangements by giving them more life than they already had in his mind.

That is of course, assuming he was making it up. Morgan was open to the thought that she could be wrong about a great many things. It just usually didn't turn out that way.

She smiled at the thought, and that moment of brief utter self-confidence that was also so useful when bending reality to her Will. It felt good.

"I say we go with Castor's instincts. They haven't been wrong yet."

gremlin-pult
2015-07-15, 02:52 PM
"Ooh, I'll check it out!" Xeno exclaims. He then immediately raises his arms, and starts swinging them around in one of his odd patterns. "Ocularis, Obfuscari, Infinit!" He chants, forming the ambient arcane energies into a spell.

Xeno attempts to cast Invisibility on himself.
[roll0]

As the spell takes hold the knowledge of how to cast it disappears from Xeno's mind, just as he disappears from the view of his companions.
"Good thing the spell worked, so I didn't have to try twice. I forgot how to do it just now, anyhow." Xeno's disembodied voice says from the he previously occupied. "Now I can find out what the noise is, all sneaky-like. You guys wait here."

Prehysterical
2015-07-15, 05:34 PM
Barrack continues stumbling forward, the area growing more gnarly as he advances. His hand slips as he pushes a branch out of the way and it smacks him in the face. He howls in pains and clutches at his face, reciting some of Da's favorite Dwarven curses. "Why do all of you damn trees have to look the same?!" All could he do was press forward and hope to find a road.

Megatron46
2015-07-16, 05:21 PM
Barrack
You surge forward, angry, grumpy, frustrated beyond belief, but you think ok see the trees starting to thin out a little ahead of you, at last some luck!
Xeno
You slip between the trees invisible to all, you follow the noises until you see a broad, rather irate looking dwarf holding possibly the biggest hammer you've ever seen!

gremlin-pult
2015-07-16, 09:00 PM
"Oh, it's just a dwarf." Xeno says, letting out a relieved sigh. "Everyone, the one making the noise is a dwarf. Maybe he's from the outpost!" He then yells back towards the others.
Completely forgetting that he is still invisible, Xeno gives the dwarf a friendly smile, and starts talking to him.
"Hello, my name is Xeno. Are you a dwarf from the outpost past Beirig's point? My friends and I are going there, see, and we really wanna know if the dwarves there are ok, since we fought two icky undead thingies earlier who were created from dead dwarves from the same outpost..."
Xeno's eager voice rambled on, seemingly out of thin air, probably creating an extremely odd and confusing situation for the dwarf.

Prehysterical
2015-07-16, 09:29 PM
Barrack stops dead in his tracks and his skin turn pale as he is confronted by a voice with no source. He's only able to catch some of its banter due to his disorientation. Brandishing his hammer threateningly, Barrack stutters, "W-whoever you are, come out where I can see you! I'll not bandy words with the wind!"

jaydubs
2015-07-17, 12:53 AM
At Xeno's shout, Castor raises an eyebrow toward Morgan and Gregor, somewhat surprised. He makes his way through the snow towards the trees, but arrives to see a burly dwarf threatening the area with a large hammer. Hearing Xeno's voice, but not seeing him, Castor tries to draw the dwarf's attention away from his invisible friend.

While still behind his shield, Castor calls cautiously toward the stranger. "Hail! Forgive my associate. He's quite good at remaining unseen. But I assure you, we're flesh and blood. And we're not looking for a fight if we can help it." He gestures toward the weapon waving in the air, as if to say there's no need for that, really. He even throws on a winning smile for show, but many years traveling the roads have taught him to be careful. It's not only undead and goblins to worry about. Perfectly ordinary dangers can kill a man just as dead. Like wild animals. Or bandits. Or possibly crazed men wielding large weapons.

gremlin-pult
2015-07-17, 05:12 AM
"Oh right, I'm still invisible. 'scuse me." Xeno says, and quickly releases the invisibility spell. "HI, I'm Xeno. What's your name?" He says again cheerily. Before the dwarf can answer, Xeno turns to Castor with an excited smile.
"Look Castor he's another dwarf, like Gregor. and not a dead one. That must mean he's a friendly dwarf. at least I think he's not a dead dwarf..." He continues, faltering slightly as he turns to look at the dwarf his eyes narrowing slightly.
"You ARE a living, friendly dwarf, right? You'd tell me if you were an icky dead dwarf, right?"

Prehysterical
2015-07-17, 01:01 PM
Though still looking agitated, Barrack at least lowers his hammer. "What are you on about? Of course I'm alive! The dead don't speak; they just moan and shriek... I think. But why were you sneaking up on me like that?"

jaydubs
2015-07-18, 10:56 AM
Castor relaxes into a slightly more neutral stance when Barrack lowers his weapon. "There's goblins and undead in this area. When we heard the ruckus, Xeno took on the mission to find out what it was." Castor nods in the young man's direction.

"Though since you're neither goblin nor undead, it does leave us wondering... this is a rather dangerous area at the moment. Why are you out here by yourself?" He takes a glance around the area, just to confirm the dwarf is really alone. Morgan hadn't specified what kind of danger was heading their way, after all.

Prehysterical
2015-07-18, 01:58 PM
Barrack thrusts his chest out proudly and bangs a fist against it. "Why, I'm an adventurer, of course! Been looking for deeds to do and battles to fight. Things like danger don't matter to me! I ran into a couple of goblins yesterday. Then they ran into my hammer!" He guffaws at his own joke.

Megatron46
2015-07-19, 03:47 AM
Raising an eyebrow at Morgan, Gregor follows the noise the short distance into the trees. As he finds them he, hears Barrack's words. hmmmmm a chance meeting? Or maybe Huw is sending us a companion! Well
met brother! he extends his hand to the other dwarf.

Prehysterical
2015-07-19, 04:34 PM
The presence of another dwarf puts Barrack at ease. He shakes Gregor's hand eagerly. "Barrack Stoutbarrel, son of Haldal, at your service. You lot look reasonably armed. Up to something exciting?"

jaydubs
2015-07-19, 06:03 PM
Once it becomes fully clear Barrack is not an immediate threat, Castor relaxes a bit. He looks around at the rather odd meeting in the forest, before a slight grin spreads across his face. What would be the most whimsical way to describe our situation? he thinks to himself.

In his mind, Castor pulls up a similar scene from The Crimson King of Caladash, a work of fantastical deeds and great dangers, and rearranges a few words to suit their current context. "Well met, Barrack Stoutbarrel, son of Haldal. I am Castor Way, from the great city of Farspire." He takes a theatrical bow, and points to his companions in turn. "Xeno, who you have already met. A wizard, despite his young age. Morgan, fair and dark, who helped defeat the Dread Necromancer. And Gregor, cleric of Huw, who even now urges us to the Dwarven Stronghold at Admira's Tor. They have been out of contact for three months time, and the arrival of goblins past their defense does not bode well. But the presence of strange magics and foul necromancy suggest a darker tapestry being weaved than that of the greenskins. We go now to speak with some of those very goblins, in hopes our longtime enemies may become unexpected allies."

Castor glances around to see if anyone catches the reference, before continuing in a less dramatic manner. "Speaking of which, we need to get going. Morgan mentioned some pretty dangerous company if we stay here too long. So we need to move along before it gets here. Barrack, if you'd like to hear more, walk with us a bit. We can exchange news and pleasantries. But regardless, I recommend not staying right here or going back the way we came. What is looking for us probably wouldn't be too pleasant if it found you, either. Seriously, I think it's dark and terrible forces, the kind mothers scare their children with at night."

gremlin-pult
2015-07-19, 06:52 PM
"Yeah, come with us mister Barrack! Adventure is way more fun when you do it with friends." Xeno says, smiling broadly as he adjusts his threadbare, pointy hat.
He then gives Castor a look of equal parts confusion and admiration as he mulls over his grand introduction.
"But gosh Castor, you sure know some complicated speeches. I dont really get why you had to say it like they do in old knightly stories, but it sounded nice. Is talking like that something all bards learn?" He asks with an innocent, expectant expression.
It is clear that any significance of the speech went right over his head.

jaydubs
2015-07-20, 12:52 PM
Castor nods. "That's certainly a part of it, anyway. We learn the arts, how to turn the arts into a living, and how to make that living without getting killed in towns or between." He gestures, as if to indicate the danger present in the world at large. "But that's a long story. I'd rather hear Barrack's news, if he has any. Are you from the north? Have you heard anything about Admira's Tor, or the goings on in that area? We really are trying to find out."

Prehysterical
2015-07-20, 01:08 PM
The finer points of Castor's oration are lost on Barrack, who never heard tales of non-dwarven heroes by the fire. He shakes his head at Castor's question. "Sorry, but I have no idea what's going on. I've been traveling for three days from my home at Blackwater Brewery and we don't get a lot of company." His demeanor grows brighter as he continues, "But I'll happily travel with you! Sounds like there could be trouble and danger... which is perfect! Besides, you look you could use another hammer-swinger." He moves forward to shake hands heartily with the others, leaving Morgan for last.

Megatron46
2015-07-21, 05:42 PM
At the mention of Stoutbarrel, Gregor's eyes gleam! As in the brewery? Lad, your father has made some of the best ale I've ever drunk. The cleric grips Barracks hand and firmly shakes it. As Xeno and Castor explain recent events Morgan wanders over and light takes Barrack's hand in greeting.
We should move quickly, as Castor says. You will be a welcome addition Barrack. Thankyou.
You head north. Ploughing through the snow. It hampers you progress and it takes you longer to reach Beirig's Point than you thought.
You see the landmarks Jawdat described and as you make your way up the path, you see movement and the winding call of a goblin horn. You have been spotted!

jaydubs
2015-07-21, 08:42 PM
Castor takes up the hare Jawdat provided earlier, and holds it firmly and visibly above them. He thinks back on what Xeno told them earlier, before shouting loudly out to the first goblin that appears. "We seek parley with your shaman! We bring an offering of flesh!"

In a lower voice. "Alright. Cross your fingers. Let's see how they respond."

gremlin-pult
2015-07-22, 07:28 AM
Walking next to Castor, Xeno held his hands open and hanging down his sides, clearly showing that he held no weapons, and had no intentions to fight the goblins.
Oh, the others said we shouldn't look too weak either. Better put on a fierce expression.He thought.
While keeping his posture, Xeno scrunched his brow down, and tried to make a suitably fierce expression, so the goblins knew he wasn't to be trifled with, even though he didn't want to fight them. This resulted in a slightly strained pout, with his cheeks reddening from the conscious effort, since Xeno was not at all familiar with the ways of intimidation.
All in all, he looked about as intimidating as an affronted pigeon.

Megatron46
2015-07-22, 10:04 AM
As you approach the opening you see a goblin high on the cliff top, bow drawn, arrow trained on you. Two more goblins carrying spears run out to the entrance lowering their weapons, glittering tips pointed at you. You see movement in the shadows behind them but see nothing distinct. The growling and snarling if the worgs echoes out. As Castor holds up the struggling hair and speaks, the goblins share a quick glance. One of the spear wielders snarls something over his shoulder. A guttural shout comes back. The two spear goblins part, leaving a path for you to follow into the shadow ...

jaydubs
2015-07-24, 01:04 AM
Castor walks forward into the path presented, showing neither fear nor aggression, but a watchful caution. He thinks back on the words of his mentor. Fear tempts attack. Aggression provokes defense. Wariness dissuades. They might be here seeking peace, but goblins are dangerous folk regardless of ones intentions. And history is full of peace talks turning sour, even in better circumstances.

Megatron46
2015-07-25, 05:15 AM
Castor leads the way through the goblin spear carriers and they close ranks as you pass. The archer up high watches you intently and one of the spear wielders barks up an order and it turns it's gaze back to the path south. The goblin who gave the order looks at you, a grizzled veteran his eyes glittering in the weak winter sun. He gestures forwards and you walk into the goblin camp.
The hare squirms and twists in Castors grip, it's eyes wide and panicked but it has been your entrance to this parlay. You glance around and see the remaining spear carriers and archers watching you. The archers are not drawn but they are knocked tense but trying to appear relaxed. Ahead you see three great worgs, sitting and panting eyes tracking you as you walk. In front of them stands the goblin shaman; tall for a goblin and surprisingly muscular he throws a piece of meat to the beasts behind him and they squabble over it. He steps forward, leaning his fetish covered staff against a barrel. His gaze his hard, ritual scarring across forehead and cheeks stand out a stark white on his dark green skin. He extends a taloned hand and speaks in common, You bring an offering of flesh! You know of our ways!
His voice shifts into a sonorous tone one of ritual, This blood you bring binds us! This flesh feeds our voice! We talk in peace for the length of the parlay! No blood spilled! No flesh torn!
He takes the hare and pulls a wicked looking knife from his belt and carves open the hare's stomach. It screams in pain and fear and as the blood spills from it's wriggling body the shaman traces out a pattern on the snow in it's blood. Once the pattern in finished he drops it's body at the centre of the intricate pattern. What do three humans and two dwarves want here?

gremlin-pult
2015-07-25, 06:39 AM
"Well..." Xeno says a bit hesitantly, considering how to best phrase it. "We've come here because we've seen some troubling things coming from the mountains. Gregor here," He says, waving towards the dwarf "Is worried, because there's been no news from a dwarven outpost up here in a while, and I'm worried because I've felt a strange vortex of magic, as if it was sucked towards a place in the mountains."
Xeno gestures vaguely with his arms as he explains, a worried look on his face as he once more contemplates the whole situation.
"When we got closer to this place, we found a wagon tipped over, and when we examined it, we were attacked by two dwarves. More precisely, two undead dwarves. It was horrible..." He says with a grimace.
"Anyway, after that we knew we'd pass by here to get where we need to go, and since we knew that goblins do not like undead anymore than other people, we thought it would be worthwhile to try and talk with you. Since you might be able to help us, or might've seen something concerning this. I mean, no matter how much dwarves and humans and goblins like fighting each other, this is more important, right?" He finishes, looking hopefully at the goblin shaman.

jaydubs
2015-07-25, 11:58 PM
Castor nods along as Xeno explains the basic situation. Xeno's good at establishing relations, he thinks to himself. Probably has to do with all that candor and honest good-will. That can be hard to fake.

As they wait for a response, he continues to keep an eye on the situation, not only wary for danger, but on the look-out for clues that might enlighten the situation.

Megatron46
2015-07-28, 03:56 PM
The shaman stands arms folded gazing at the young wizard as he speaks. The goblin's eyes unblinking as Xeno finishes and stands looking up. The shaman pauses, face revealing little, before he rapidly barks out a series of comments in goblin and the group laugh. He turns his eyes back to Xeno, scanning them over the rest of the group first, lingering on Barrack and Gregor for a moment. He steps down towards Xeno, his mouth splitting into a wide grin, revealing impressively large canines, he speaks. Few things are as important as fighting our enemies, strengthening my people's role in this world, doing my Gods bidding. He stops directly in front of Xeno and looks up at the young man, I can answer some of your questions human, I know of what you speak but why should I share this with you? What benefit is it to me and my clan? the spear carrying veteran snarls a phrase and a harsh laugh comes from the rest of the band. The shaman raises a hand and the laughter dies, I will make a deal with you human, I will answer your questions, but i will require a gift from you! A taste of your blood! Do this and I will answer you honestly and without deceit! He steps back and holds
his hand palm up. Gazing at the young wizard.

gremlin-pult
2015-07-28, 04:52 PM
Xeno looks at the shaman, suddenly a lot less sure about this situation. My blood? Why'd he want my blood? but I guess that sorta stuff is important to his culture. And he did say he'd answer our questions...
A bit nervously Xeno lifts his hand slowly. He then takes a deep breath to steady himself and puts it resolutely on the goblins' outstretched palm. "Alright, I guess it can't hurt. Much, anyway. But I think its worth thinking about how much friendship with your neighbours could be worth to your people. Strength and security is a lot easier to get if you're surrounded by friends instead of enemies."
He says meeting the goblins gaze, silently happy that his voice doesn't waver. He even manages a friendly, if somewhat strained, smile.

Megatron46
2015-07-29, 04:49 PM
The shaman's smile widens as Xeno places his hand on the upturned palm! The goblin snaps his talons shut, piercing Xeno's skin and drawing blood! The blood trickles down the shaman's forarm, catching in a small vessel attached to the elbow. Blood freely given! What's your name human?

gremlin-pult
2015-07-30, 09:07 AM
Grimacing as the goblin stabs his hand, Xeno gingerly tries to reclaim it. He is eager to clean and bandage his palm.
"Well, auntie Martha and uncle Wesley gave me the name Xeno when they found me two years ago. I'm guessing I had another name before that, but I don't remember much from back then." He says, a bit confused by the whole blood and names business.

Megatron46
2015-08-01, 11:29 AM
The shaman's wide grin slips when Xeno reveals that the name is not his original one. His scowl vanished as quickly as it appeared and the goblin sinks back onto his haunches, the worgs prowl forward and loll with him. He begins to speak, As promised, I'll answer you honestly and without deceit. he looks over to Gregor and Barrack, Your kin are dead! Admira's Tor is an empty shell, only ghosts and regrets live there now. The dwarves fought bravely but are no more! His smile returns, It is no longer an obstacle to us, we are stronger than you know. The power you felt young wizard is ours, we have harnessed it, it is ours now and forever more! We draw upon it that is the convergence you felt! It makes us stronger! his eyes gain an intensity, an almost feverish gleam!the undead are an abomination to the blood! But they have their uses, our new allies give us an advantage, but their usefulness will be gone soon, then we can take back what is ours! Out rightful place! his voice rises to a crescendo, then he snarls out in the goblin tongue and their is a shout back from the band and soft clashing of weapons. The shaman's gaze takes in all of you. Well then, what do you do now?
Gregor looks dazed, stunned at the news, it is clear that he did not expect to hear that the Tor had been completely wiped out!

jaydubs
2015-08-02, 07:04 PM
"Not the news we were hoping to hear, but perhaps we can all profit nonetheless. It sounds like your current allies are soon to become an obstacle for you, as their usefulness expires. And they might well think the same thing."

Castor spreads his hands in offer. "Tell us of their strengths and weaknesses. Who they are, what they want. We'll spread the word of them, make them a known target." He taps the side of his nose, as if they are sharing a secret conversation. "There will be anger over Admira's Tor. Perhaps you can handle it, perhaps not. Regardless, we can direct some of it away from the goblins, and toward your soon-to-be enemies. And every arrow shot against them is one less shot against you."

Prehysterical
2015-08-02, 10:28 PM
It takes an effort of will for Barrack to neither raise his voice nor lift his hammer. If it came down to a fight, his new friends would be swarmed before he could finish it. Goblins bragging about dead dwarves... There will be a reckoning for this, greenskin!

Megatron46
2015-08-03, 04:23 PM
The shaman's grin turns nasty. And he makes a gesture, you notice the goblins beginning to gather. You misunderstand me human! Admira's Tor was the first step, the first obstacle to be removed. We took it! For the first time in 5 generations the clans are united! We will sweep away all who oppose us! He sneers at Castor, Our allies opened the door to the magical vortex Xeno witnessed, made us stronger! But we control that now. They helped us take the Tor, and all they wanted in return was the dead! We don't need your help! We are strong! The Stone Kin who have fought us bitterly for generations will fall! He points at Barrack and Gregor, Your best and brightest fell at the Tor, you are stretched thin stone-kin. We have planned this for years, ever since the necromancers approached us. Who will oppose us? Elves? Humans? Halflings? he barks out a laugh and the others laugh. You are weak! Goblin kind are strong. The tide is rising and what we did at the Tor is the just the start!
Gregor's face is white with rage! He is murmuring almost silently under his breath and those near him see his hammer start to glow faintly. His eyes tighten! But his anger is in check! Just!

gremlin-pult
2015-08-03, 05:46 PM
Xeno had gotten more and more anxious as the situation unfolded, turning a shade or two paler when the shaman regaled them with the full explanation.
"I see..." He mumbled, certain that the goblins would be able to hear the panicked beating of his heart. "Well, while your stance on this does not make me particularly happy, I am thankful that you treated honestly with us. Now, since there does not seem to be anything else to say, we'll be on our way. you have the advantage here and we have no wish to give our lives against your braves in a meaningless struggle. We've already lost, and will now leave, as is our right during parley."
Xeno bowed to the goblins, and then turned to the others with an almost sickly expression.
"Alright, we're leaving. Now." He muttered through clenched teeth. "They're spoiling for a fight, and only the parley is protecting us. I know this is horrible and something must be done, but if we fight now, we die."

jaydubs
2015-08-03, 07:10 PM
Castor nods at Xeno's words. It might not be a hopeless fight, but it wouldn't be one in their favor. As he moves to leave, he first whispers quietly to the seething dwarves. "I know how you feel. But any justice you might find here pales in comparison to the importance of our news. There will be another time."

Prehysterical
2015-08-03, 07:31 PM
"Damn right there will be...," Barrack growls softly. "Little green bastards. Talking about how strong they are when their magic is borrowed like a cheap trinket."

Megatron46
2015-08-05, 03:47 PM
As Xeno speaks and Castor calms, Gregor's jaw unclenches and you see the light within the hammer die down. Barrack's words bring a terse nod from the dwarven cleric, Indeed brother. There will be a reckoning after this. This will NOT go unanswered! he mutters underneath his breath.
As you back away from the goblin shaman, the spear veteran snarls a command and the worgs tense, suddenly alert; the nearby archer draws his bow, the arrow next to his cheek; the spear wielders lower the points. The shaman raises a hand and everything stops! He barks out a command of his own and the veteran stares at him in disbelief. However the goblins part to let you go.
You leave Beirig's Point and make all haste south, back towards Blackwater, the need to reveal this threat urgent in your minds. You make good time, travelling fast over the snow; the weather is kind, bright and clear with no new snowfall. The first two days pass in a blur of movement, stopping only to rest and eat. The beginning of the third day, the last day's travel before you reach the town, however is different. The sky is grey and a light snowfall starts, impeding your progress slightly. You power through the weather, but after only a few hours travel as you approach the most isolated of the farmsteads near Blackwater, (although still most of a days travel from the town), you hear shouts and the clash of battle.
Following the sound you see a cluster of buildings under attack from a small band of goblins. The families and workers are putting up a brave front but are not warriors. There are 2 greenskins on the ground but 5 other figures also lie in the bloodstained snow. The screams of panicking animals pierce the sound of battle and you see one of the buildings ablaze.
Okay for the journey south everyone mark off 2 rations.
For those who prepare such things please tell me what spells you have prepared.
You are all back to full health.
The goblins attacking the farm-
4 spear wielders
3 archers.
2 dead goblins of indeterminate status.

jaydubs
2015-08-05, 07:01 PM
Castor adjusts his shield and readies his bow, notching an arrow. "We need to help these people, so it looks like you'll have your chance at vengeance sooner than any of us expected." He looks towards the burning building, thinking to himself. I hope no one's in there. But the sooner we end this fight the sooner we can try to stop the fire.

He glances towards Barrack and Gregor. "You'll have to close the distance, so we'll let loose when you're in position." He whispers a binding over the arrow in his hand, and then prepares to loose it just before contact with the enemy. In the back of his mind, Castor wonders why he feels so eager to get involved, but shrugs off the thought. Not the time for introspection.

Prehysterical
2015-08-05, 10:55 PM
Barrack nods fiercely and a bloodthirsty grin crosses his face. He charges toward one of the goblin archers, mallet held high, and swings with all his might. "Khazad ai-menu!"
If I need to roll anything, let me know. I was told that in a surprise round, you just deal damage.

Megatron46
2015-08-06, 02:33 PM
The dwarven fighter ploughs through the snow, a battle cry ripping from his throat as he attacks the nearby goblin archer. The goblin spins when it hears Barrack's shout and dies as the dwarf's hammer splits it's skull, pulping helmet and head leaving a bloody smear on the snow.
Initiative/Damage
Barrack- 0
Castor-0
Xeno- 0
Morgan- 0
Gregor- 0
Archer 1- 6 DEAD
Archer 2- 0
Archer 3- 0
Spear 1- 0
Spear 2- 0
Spear 3- 0
Spear 4- 0

Megatron46
2015-08-07, 05:19 AM
Hunting for one of the other archers, Castor's keen eye finds one. As Barrack's thundering smash obliterates the first archer, the bard whispers some words of arcane power, symbols spiral up the arrow's shaft and the bard lets fly. The arrow whips past Barrack and skewers another archer through the neck. The goblin looks stunned and falls to the snow, dead.
Initiative/Damage
Barrack- 0
Castor-0
Xeno- 0
Morgan- 0
Gregor- 0
Archer 1- 6 DEAD
Archer 2- 7 DEAD
Archer 3- 0
Spear 1- 0
Spear 2- 0
Spear 3- 0
Spear 4- 0

gremlin-pult
2015-08-07, 06:58 PM
Xeno looks on in a mixture of horror and sadness as his friends charge into the already horrific battle. But as he sees the determination on their faces, and the gleeful frenzy of the goblins, his face sets into an expression very different from the happy boy the others are accustomed to.
a cold, almost cruel rage shows in his features, and he lifts his hand, pointing at the last bow wielding goblin.
"If you stupid goblins like fear and blood so much..." He snarls, and eldritch energies start forming around his arm, despite his lack of an incantation.
He ignores the sharp stab of pain in his skull from his improper summoning of the spell, and forces the energy into two multicolored spears by sheer will.
"Then I'll show you so much terror and bloodshed your ancestors will shiver in their graves!" He howls, and the two Spears soar forth, towards the hapless archer.
as som as the spell is released, Xeno moans and clutches his head, unable to ignore the headache any longer.

Megatron46
2015-08-08, 03:29 PM
Xeno's spears of pure power lance forward and both slam into the goblin archer, driving him to the ground, his blood seeping into the snow covers ground. The magical energies lashing back into the young wizard, inflicting pain but staying in control. Morgan raises her hand and speaks in a sinister tongue, dark energies start to form round her hand, but fails to materialise as she loses focus and one of the spear goblins notices her and grins. Seconds later,Gregor runs past Morgan, charging towards the four spear wielders. As he runs you see his hammer glow, it's stone head seems to flow down the shaft towards his arm, coating his body in an armour of stone! He shouts a battle cry and smashes into the group, crushing the skull of one goblin as it falls lifeless to the ground.
The three remaining goblins snarl at the cleric, and launch themselves at him, driving him back with their ferocity, but their spears are unable to penetrate his stone armour.
Initiative/Damage
Barrack- 0
Castor-0
Xeno- 0
Morgan- 0
Gregor- 0
Archer 1- 6 DEAD
Archer 2- 7 DEAD
Archer 3- 6 DEAD
Spear 1- 5 DEAD
Spear 2- 0
Spear 3- 0
Spear 4- 0

Prehysterical
2015-08-08, 05:20 PM
Unwilling to let Gregor face the goblins alone, Barrack surges forward and adds his own hammer to the fray.
A: [roll0]
D: [roll1]

jaydubs
2015-08-08, 08:37 PM
A moment of surprise flashes across Castor's face at Xeno's words and expression. Rage is hardly inappropriate given the situation. It's just somehow odd to see from Xeno.

Still, not the time to think about it. He files the moment away for later consideration, and sights in on a spearman. Another brief murmur of magicked words, and he looses another arrow.

Megatron46
2015-08-09, 05:24 PM
Barrack's arrival is greeted with a nod from Gregor. As the dwarf fighter swings the goblin desperately parries with his spear, blocking the first few strikes before the butt of Barrack's hammer strikes it in the stomach and then it's head caves in it's skull. A split second after, Castor's arrow whispers through the air and hits it's goblin target in the eye socket. There is a flare of arcane power and as the goblin falls dead an arc of energy lances out and strikes Barrack. The sole remaining goblin edges back, nervous but angry. Within a few heartbeats you have reduced them to one warrior. It remains firm however and calls out, Krazz, verrick! Rhall verrick! You hear part of the burning building collapse before the carcass of a huge mastiff, probably a farm dog, crashes through the wooden wall and ploughs into the snow, unmoving! And you see a massive shadowy outline through the hole, obscured by smoke and flame!
Initiative/Damage
Barrack- 2
Castor-0
Xeno- 0
Morgan- 0
Gregor- 0
Archer 1- 6 DEAD
Archer 2- 7 DEAD
Archer 3- 6 DEAD
Spear 1- 5 DEAD
Spear 2- 7 DEAD
Spear 3- 7 DEAD
Spear 4- 0
Shadowy figure- 0

gremlin-pult
2015-08-10, 07:44 AM
Seeing his target fall, Xeno turns to the remaining speargoblin, his gaze lingering on the corpses of the goblin party's victims on the way, renewed anger blazing in his eyes. "They suffered because of you..." He says, his voice thick with emotion.
"They suffered and died because your kind are too cruel to live in peace. Even though I offered it, more than once!"
Gathering magical energy in his hands once more, Xeno unleashes another pair of eldritch spears, his furious shout the only incantation. "Now you will suffer even more! Because you deserve it!"

magic missile on the spear goblin. Xeno is way too emotional to notice the shadowy figure.
cast spell: [roll0]
damage: [roll1]

Megatron46
2015-08-10, 04:15 PM
For the second time, Xeno's rage echoes across the battlefield and his spears strike the goblin seconds after it shouts taking it in the throat and the chest. The last goblin falls clutching it's throat as it's blood pumps onto the ground. In the same second as Xeno launches his magic, Morgan realised she has lost her offensive magic and draws her dagger, backing away from the burning barn, while Gregor charges forward towards the figure shrouded in smoke. 'Ware whatever this is, we can take it together. The cleric lumbers forward clad in stone and stops before the hole bringing round his shield, preparing to defend, when the wall explodes and out steps the figure. 9 feet tall and broad, it's grey/green skin and large lower canines mean you recognise the massive threatening form of an Orc. Just as Gregor brings his shield round it lashes out with a fist, wreathed in flame the Orc, smashes the dwarf to the ground, cracking the stone armour encasing Gregor. It's eyes flash round the battlefield, taking in the slain goblins and Xeno's clear rage; it thrusts out a clawed hand and fire leaps from it's talons, encasing the young wizard in fire and smoke. At the same time however the Orc snarls in pain and you see some of it's skin blacken and burn in it's arm. It stands over Gregor and lets out a roar, a primal scream challenging all before it.
Initiative/Damage
Barrack- 2
Castor-0
Xeno- 4
Morgan- 0
Gregor- 1
Archer 1- 6 DEAD
Archer 2- 7 DEAD
Archer 3- 6 DEAD
Spear 1- 5 DEAD
Spear 2- 7 DEAD
Spear 3- 7 DEAD
Spear 4- 6 DEAD
Orc Fire Cultist- 2

Prehysterical
2015-08-10, 04:26 PM
Taken aback for a split-second by the orc's size, Barrack musters his courage and charges forward with a cry as he swings his hammer.

jaydubs
2015-08-10, 05:45 PM
One good thing about fighting alongside dwarves, Castor thinks to himself. You can shoot right over them. Especially when your targets are 9 feet tall. He looses another arrow into the fray.

Volley: [roll1]

gremlin-pult
2015-08-10, 09:43 PM
Xeno lets out a pained scream as the flames burn him, and falls to one knee while trying to put them out.
With tears of pain and anger streaming down his face he looks straight at the orc, barely noticing his friends attacking it.
He answers it's challenge with an inarticulate scream of his own, and once more summons pure magical energy.
Forming the eldritch spears once more, he prepares to unleash them on the large greenskin.

Magic missile, once more. On the orc.
Spell: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

As he sends out the magic improperly again, the now familiar pain lances through Xeno's head once more. He falls down on both knees, sobbing in pain.
And in his mind, amidst all the pain and anger, a tiny voice speaks.
Why am I doing this? It's so painful, and wrong... But it feels so... natural. The anger. Why don't I feel bad about hurting the goblins? I know they're bad, but still... Is this... Is this who I was before? Was I cruel?
The thoughts are drowned, however, by another surge of anger towards the orc, brought forth by the pain of his burns.

Megatron46
2015-08-11, 03:09 PM
Barrack's hammer blow strikes, and a burst of fire flares up, negating some damage but the strike staggers the Orc. It shakes it's head and it lashes out with a fist smashing into Barrack's chest just penetrating the dwarf's armour. It shakes it's head and sees Castor's arrow flying true and it smacks the shaft out of the air as Xeno launches his eldritch spears. The same burst of flame protects the Orc but still it screams in pain as Xeno inflicts some damage.
Morgan flings a knife but fails to penetrate the Orc's shield. While Gregor staggers to his feet and swings, battering the Orc and taking the counter strike on his armour surviving the blow unscathed.
The Fire Cultist raises it's fists high and strikes twice in quick succession, trying to batter Barrack into the ground. The dwarf manages to respond and swings his hammer once, the shield flares but still you hear the crack of the Orc's ribs.
Initiative/Damage
Barrack- 5
Castor-0
Xeno- 4
Morgan- 0
Gregor- 1
Archer 1- 6 DEAD
Archer 2- 7 DEAD
Archer 3- 6 DEAD
Spear 1- 5 DEAD
Spear 2- 7 DEAD
Spear 3- 7 DEAD
Spear 4- 6 DEAD
Orc Fire Cultist- 18

Prehysterical
2015-08-11, 05:58 PM
Barrack shrugs off the pain of the blow, as it is clear that the beast is weakening. Once again, his mallet swings.
btw, forgot to mention that the mallet has the messy and forceful tags

jaydubs
2015-08-11, 07:05 PM
"Damn, he's a tough customer. The farmer wouldn't have had a chance." Castor looses another spelled arrow and throws an anxious glance around to see what remains of those defenders. Have they fled? Are they fighting the fire? Or were they killed during the last few exchanges?

Volley: [roll1]

gremlin-pult
2015-08-12, 07:12 AM
"Ugh, damn beast..." Xeno says, staring at the orc. forcing himself to stand, he starts gathering energy once more, even though every part of his body screams out in protest at the strain.
Forming the magic through sheer will, instead of making two small multi-colored spears, this time Xeno simply pours the energy into one larger projectile, easily the size of a ballista bolt. Holding the crackling missile above his head, Xeno locks gazes with the orc.
"Haah... Haah... Why... Won't you just.."
Panting with fatigue and pain, Xeno whips his arm forward, sending the spear soaring through the air.
"DIIEEE!"I think you all know by now what Xeno does :smallamused:

Magic missile! Aaaw Yeeah!

spellcasting: [roll0]
damage: [roll1]

Megatron46
2015-08-12, 01:44 PM
The Orc staggers back as Barrack's hammer blow smashes its ribs more, forcing the bone out through it's torso in a splatter of blood and gore. Castor's arrow catches of in the throat and Xeno's magic blasts it back through the wall into the burning barn. The creature lies unmoving, dead!
As you survey the farm, you see a handful of workers battling to stop the blaze while the rest struggle to get livestock pit of the burning barn. Battered and bloody they appear frantic bit determined, paying attention only to the immediate task at hand. The five dead farmers lie unattended. The goblins remain where they fell.

gremlin-pult
2015-08-12, 03:03 PM
As the orc shudders and dies, Xeno feels his anger evaporating as suddenly as it came, leaving him tired and in pain.
"Haaah, we... We won..." He gasps, then looks over at the peasants trying to put out the fires. "we should help them."

Xeno takes a few staggering steps, before he moans and clutches his head. He looks at his hands, then touches his nose, bringing one hand down with specks of blood on it. He licks his upper lip, tasting the blood running from his nostrils, and furrows his brows in confusion.
"Oh..." He mutters absently, and then pitches forward, unconscious before he hits the ground with a thud.

Prehysterical
2015-08-12, 06:31 PM
Barrack ignores his own cuts and bruises and runs forward to help the farmers in any way he can. Flying sparks begin to singe the edges of his short beard and sweat covers his brow as the heat bakes him in his armor, but the dwarf ignores it as he takes on the heavy work.

jaydubs
2015-08-12, 07:27 PM
Castor hurries to check on Xeno, unsure on the extent of his injuries. After a quick inspection, it seems the young man has passed out. Probably not a good sign, but nothing immediately dangerous. He turns Xeno onto his side, the same as one does for friends passed out from too much drink.

Looking through their gear, Castor retrieves the spade they had used earlier before heading toward the burning barn. Working next to Barrack and the other farmers, he begins to shovel the surrounding snow onto the blaze.

For reference, the spade is the one Xeno pulled from adventuring gear when we were burying the zombie dwarves.

Megatron46
2015-08-19, 04:42 PM
A hard eyed man frantically battling the blaze ignores Barrack other than shifting to the side to make space as the broad dwarf charges in and starts ripping down burning fragments of the barn. As the fighter's strength and resilience prove effective the farmer grunts in appreciation and dashes off into the barn to help others get precious livestock and stored food out into the snow.
Castor is quickly joined by several farm hands in shovelling snow onto the blaze trying to stop it spreading to the other buildings, his actions energise the flagging men and women and they manage to smother a section of fire.
Morgan runs over to Xeno to check his pulse and make sure he is safe! Magic has a tendency to mark it's practitioners when it is used.... unwisely or when not in full control.
Gregor's stone armour cracks and crumbles to the ground and he joins Castor and Barrack in fighting the fire.
After 30 mins of battling the heat and flames are taking their toll, but you seem to be winning when there is a sudden flare and the centre of the barn, the part you have had most trouble reaching, collapses! Trapping three of the farm workers.

Prehysterical
2015-08-19, 06:20 PM
Staring aghast at the pile for a second, Barrack plunges forward and begins tugging on the supports. "Don't worry, we're coming!"
[roll0]

jaydubs
2015-08-19, 09:19 PM
Castor follows in close behind Barrack. He tries to lend a hand here and there, but leaves most of the heavy lifting to the large dwarf. Still, there's likely multiple injured men here, maybe more than Gregor can handle.

Some pre-emptive rolling since I can't check every day. If they find survivors, here's an attempt to heal one.
Healing: [roll1]

Megatron46
2015-08-20, 04:10 PM
Barrack powers through the flame and wreckage, the fire sears him but he manages to batter through and lifts up part of the collapsed roof. Castor, with Gregor hot on his heels, drags out three bodies.
Pulling the unconscious humans out into the snow. The bard's magic subtly begins to heal burned flesh and broken bones. You hear a crash behind you as the rest of the barn collapses, shortly afterwards Barrack kicks his way out of the wreckage, looking singed. The hard eyed man runs up to you, oh thankyou, thankyou for your help. Both with the greenskins and with the fire. You've saved my family, thankyou. he pumps your hands before collapsing in an exhausted slump. Gregor moves between the still living farmhands, the divine grace of Huw healing and mending. Morgan runs her fingers over Xeno's scalp and the young wizard feels the necromancers thoughts stirring through his mind bringing him to wakefulness.
Barrack takes 3 damage from the fire.
Xeno regains consciousness.
Castor saves 1 of the farmers.
Gregor saves the lives of the others.
The dead, both human and greenskins lie where they fell.

gremlin-pult
2015-08-21, 07:48 AM
"Uuugh..." Xeno groans as he returns to consciousness, opening his eyes and trying to sit up. The effort is rewarded by another pang of his headache, and he groans again, putting a hand to his face.
"Wha' happ'nd..?" He manages to say, before noticing the blood on his hand and under his nose. "Oh, right..."

Looking around at the aftermath of the battle, Xeno gingerly gets up, and shuffles over to the others, trying to wipe the remains of his nosebleed with his sleeve. "Can I help? I'm a bit groggy from the spelling, but I think I can manage..."

Megatron46
2015-08-21, 04:35 PM
Gregor stands and scans the farm/battlefield. The surviving farm workers have gathered the livestock in a field nearby trying to calm them. The barn is destroyed but thankfully the flames did not spread to the other buildings, although they are damaged. The people look wild eyed, barely in control, clearly scared about what has happened. The hard eyed man lifts his head as a woman walks over to him, Jen, William? Did they...? she smiles and two small children fling themselves from behind her skirts into their father. She crosses to you, her smiles vanishing as she looks away from the worries group. my husband has already thanked you, I echo it. They came from nowhere, no warning. Our dogs barely barked before they were upon us. We fought as best we could, but without you we would be dead. she passes a hand over her eyes, she looks weary. we would offer you hospitality, but most of our food stores have gone, the fact we saved most of the animals is a blessing and you saved more of us. I don't know what to do? We can stay here, but our livestock will die. In thinking we must head to Blackwater. Take everything with us. What do you think?

Prehysterical
2015-08-21, 04:54 PM
As the man thanks him, Barrack feels a real surge of pride. I killed a bunch of greenskins and saved some farmers. I'm a hero! Just wait until Da hears about this! Barrack's feeling of celebration is crushed when he sees the bodies of the farmers strewn among the goblin dead. The woman's words only further serve to make Barrack realize the farmers' dire straits. Walking forward and clasping the woman's hands solemnly, Barrack replies, "Yes, you should go. We are on our way there, too. Stick with us and we'll keep you safe. I promise, and a dwarf's promise is not given lightly." Barrack sniffs loudly and sighs. "I'm sorry we didn't get here sooner."

jaydubs
2015-08-23, 01:09 PM
"Even if all your buildings were unharmed, I'm not sure it would be safe to stay. We have reason to believe there are more greenskins heading this way. But not everyone might be receptive to that kind of news. When we get to Blackwater, would you mind speaking to some of the leaders there with us?"

Castor looks back and forth over the horizon before continuing. "And can you point out any farmsteads you know along the way? We should pass the word to anyone we can on our way to Blackwater. Even if they choose to stay put, at least they'll have some warning to prepare for trouble."