PDA

View Full Version : Eberron-Monsters of Legend?

ArendK
2015-05-25, 02:24 PM
So I'm looking at building some super-high level of play for some PF Eberron (Mythic) later on down the road. I'm partially inspired by the image of a massive thunderbird like creature whose wingspan darkens the sky and reaches to the edge of our vision (from miles away). I realize this beast would be illogical to really stat out (what is a sword REALLY going to do it?), but the image of Flamekeep being razed to the ground as a result of endless tornadoes and storms from the monsters power makes me really want to make this a reality. Then my brain started twitching; how is such a beast even feasible given Eberrons history?

So I started looking into it, and narrowed it down to 2 options.

1- The beast is a physical embodiment of Siberys, the 'Dragon' above. An instrument of its wrath and vengeance. Logically, this brings me to the conclusion that there must be 2 more; Eberron and Khyber.
So I naturally think of a equally large and terrifying being for both (a living mountain for Eberron and a massive sea serpent akin to the Leviathan for Khyber).

2- It were originally used by the Gatekeepers as blessings from Nature to keep the Xoriat spawn in check, a weapon of the planet if you will (stupid final fantasy 7 references...). Same logic applies for a conclusion as before for me; need two more beasties.

What does everyone think?

Brookshw
2015-05-25, 06:52 PM
I like the former personally. The earth one especially seems interesting, a living eruption sort of.

Alternative option, ancient giant device creates openings to planes when they drift near and their manifest zones are particularly strong. This allows strong creatures (or as you were already thinking, some planar manifestation) to enter Eberron's prime for short periods until the planes drift again. Just another alternative.

Forrestfire
2015-05-25, 07:08 PM
Of those two, I prefer the first one. I'd make the Siberys one more similar to Couatls, though, since they hail from the ring of Siberys, if I'm remembering my fluff right. It'd be neat to have big godzilla monsters duking it out, and tying them to the land directly will probably make the dragons in Argonnessen panic a bunch too.

However, Eberron's got a huge amount of possible origins for various kaiju that could be explored:

3) The thunderbird is a Rakshasa Rajah, freed from its imprisonment in Khyber and deciding to wreak havoc on the world. Possible allies against it might include rival factions in the Lords of Dust (because someone's always scheming, and this throws a wrench in it), pretty much everyone aligned with the Silver Flame, various nations that fear the monster...

4) It's the cause of, and a physical manifestation of, the Mourning. It leaves radioactive mists in its wake that scour the land and mutate any poor fool caught within it. Its exact origin is unknown, but it might be the result of some horrifying Eldritch Machine, an interplanar incursion, any of the other possibilities...

5) It's a living Eldritch Machine, turned on by some madman who promptly got eaten before the monster went on its rampage. Maybe the PCs have knowledge of other Eldritch Machines that could be used to fight it, or they need to take it down the old-fashioned way.

6) It's a monster from Wildspace, that managed to enter Eberron's crystal sphere somehow (maybe through the Plane of Shadow) and is now trapped. Maybe it wants to destroy things, maybe it just wants to go home. Maybe it's actually a spelljamming ship, with the crew dead, and the PCs need to enter it and take control of its helm.

7) It's something new; perhaps it's the first "real" deity in Eberron. Its origin is unknown (maybe the Becoming God had something to do with it - the warforged finally switched it on and it exploded into a thunderbird monster), and right now a significant part of fighting it is figuring out what it is and how to communicate with it (or kill it).

RedMage125
2015-05-26, 08:07 AM
If you're looking for help with ideas on where they might come from, Dragons of Eberron mentions a geographical feature (I think it's the Face of Eberron or something) in Argonessen that might be of some use to you in regards to where the Eberron monster comes from.

The Lair of the Keeper in the Demon Wastes could be the Khyber monster's home.

Alternately, the Khyber beast could come from Argonessen (pit of Tiamat or what have you), and the Eberron one from Khorvaire.

If you want to tie the beast's origin to the continent where the dragonshards can be found, the Siberys one should come from Xen'drik, the Eberron one from Khorvaire, and the Khyber one could be anywhere, just unerground.