PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on class changes?

ilovefire
2007-04-22, 12:08 AM
In an effort to both increase the average power level of a campaign, and decrease the brokenness of certain classses at the same time, I have come to the following conclusions on how to change the core 11 base classes to be more effective and/or less effective. Thoughts?

Barbarian: Remove Trap Sense, add Mettle/Improved Mettle at levels 3/9, Evasion/Improved Evasion at 6/12, and add Defensive Rage ability at level 15 and 18, each time reducing the AC penalty of a raging barbarian by 1

Bard: Increase BAB to full, add good fort save, ignore ASF from shields, increase skill points to 8+INT mod/level

Cleric: Only 1 domain, has a prayerbook as an archivist, gains domain spell in prayerbook for free.

Druid: use Shapeshifting variant from the PHBII, uses a prayerbook as an archivist.

Fighter: Mettle at 3, Evasion at 5, Uncanny Dodge at 7, Improved Mettle at 9, Improved Evasion at 11, Improved Uncanny Dodge at 13, +1 bonus to all saves at 15, +1 bonus to AC at 17, +1 bonus to all attacks at 19, add good reflex save.

Monk: Increase BAB to full, increase skills to 6+INT mod/level, add Mettle/Improved Mettle at 6/12, Uncanny Dodge/Improved Uncanny Dodge at 9/15

Paladin: Add Mettle/Improved Mettle at 6/12

Ranger: Add Mettle/Improved Mettle at 6/12

Rogue: Add Mettle/Improved Mettle as rogue Special Abilities, increase HD to d8

Sorcerer: Remove Familiar, gain all social skills and UMD as class skills, add Eschew Materials as bonus feat at first level, gain bonus feats as a wizard, turn or rebuke (but not both) choice of outsiders/elementals as a cleric, at level 5 gain ability to 1+CHA mod/day add Sorcerer level to UMD check, level 10 increases to 3+CHA mod/day, level 15 adds double sorcerer level to UMD check, level 20 changes to at will. Increase BAB to 3/4. Increase spells known to full list.

Wizard: Only 1 free spell per level, spells require a roll of d20+1/2 wizard level+INT Mod against DC 10+2xSpell Level to succeed at casting, gain UMD as class skill, add INT instead of CHA to UMD checks.

Innis Cabal
2007-04-22, 12:46 AM
i am not sure what UMD is, but the other things all you do is add Mettle....which is silly...no to all of them for to so many reasons

GymGeekAus
2007-04-22, 12:49 AM
i am not sure what UMD is, but the other things all you do is add Mettle....which is silly...no to all of them for to so many reasons Use Magic Device....

Innis Cabal
2007-04-22, 12:51 AM
ah ha....then another opinion, why give the sorcerer and wizard use magic device? So they can use divine magic's and other arcane magics that don't have on their list? No, just no. That is one of the worst idea's i have ever heard, worse then giving almost every other class mettle for some reason

Pink
2007-04-22, 12:54 AM
A class should not generally have both improved mettle and improved evasion. It just...shouldn't happen. Also, cutting wizards down to 1 spell a level...either you'd better be giving that wizard alot of scrolls and spellbooks to copy from, or you're just being mean. In fact...for the most part it seems you're just buffing up most of the classes (wiz, cleric amd druid seem to get the short end of the stick) when they can work just fine, especially with some prcs. If you're trying to amend DnD 3.5, no, i disagree with nearly everything.

UMD is use magical device.

Innis Cabal
2007-04-22, 12:56 AM
that was ninjaed by Gymgeek, and i she means one free spell in your spell book per level instead of two, but forcing them to roll to cast is a bad idea, as well as forcing the two divine spell casters to carry a book...they pray to their god...why are you removing that from them. I will actually go indepth for this one

1. Barbarian-best of all of them, drop everything except mettle and its perfect.
2. Bard-B.A.B to full? Why? The rest...why? It makes no sense with the flavor of the class
3. Cleric-1 domain? No....Prayer Book....see above
4. Druid-Really not changing it, save for the prayer book....and again..why
5. Fighter-To much stuff.....free feats on top of all those abilities which dont make sense if you are wearing heavy armor....just seems you are putting things on them becuase you seem to think they are underpowered and are doing a very poor job
6. Monk- The second best of them all, drop uncanny dodge and his improved friend and your solid
7. Paladin- Fine as it is, no need to add Mettle to EVERY class on Ao's green Abril-Toril
8. Ranger-See above
9. Rogue-Why make their HD d8's? They are not supposed to be able to take hits...they are rogues...and why mettle? Again, why mettle?
10. Why give them use magic device? It makes no sense, and the other abilities really arnt a good idea either, Rebuke is so utterly useless at higher levels its just giving them an ability to make up for them not having an ability.
11. Wizard- Bad idea, nothing more to say
no offense but bad form all around

jlousivy
2007-04-22, 01:15 AM
bard-- with those changes-- they aren't a jack of all trades anymore, but rather a queen or a king... same skill points as a rogue, and the same bab as a fighter and now it has all good saves? i know bard needs some loving but this seems like way, way too much

druid- i agree with the varient, but not so much with the prayer books (for clerics too)

sorcerer-- you're joking right? increase spells known to full-list? that's utterly rediculous.

Closet_Skeleton
2007-04-22, 04:06 AM
The only class I'd consider adding mettle to is the Survivor from Savage Species.

Poor little Sohei, he got mugged for class features and left in the dirt of 3.0...