PDA

View Full Version : Varag speed

Tiri
2015-05-25, 05:50 PM
I'm a little confused as to what a varag's base land speed is. The statblock in the MM4 lists it as 60ft, but the 'Varags as Characters' section says it's 40ft.

Invader
2015-05-25, 08:22 PM
As a monster it's 60ft, as a PC that's adjusted to 40ft. It's the same theory as a werebear having a +7 natural armor but a PC werebear receives a +2 NA. Monster stats and PC stats aren't always exactly the same.

Urpriest
2015-05-25, 08:35 PM
As a monster it's 60ft, as a PC that's adjusted to 40ft. It's the same theory as a werebear having a +7 natural armor but a PC werebear receives a +2 NA. Monster stats and PC stats aren't always exactly the same.

No, this is 3.5, they are actually the same.

In the case of werebears, that's the distinction between humanoid form and animal/hybrid form, not PC vs NPC.

In the case of the Varag, the 40ft speed is only listed for the racial class, not for normal Varag characters. Racial classes sometimes do have discrepancies with the monster they're emulating, though it's a lot rarer. More likely it's a mistake, as errata was never published for MMIV.

Invader
2015-05-25, 08:42 PM
No, this is 3.5, they are actually the same.

In the case of werebears, that's the distinction between humanoid form and animal/hybrid form, not PC vs NPC.

In the case of the Varag, the 40ft speed is only listed for the racial class, not for normal Varag characters. Racial classes sometimes do have discrepancies with the monster they're emulating, though it's a lot rarer. More likely it's a mistake, as errata was never published for MMIV.

PCs receive a +2 NA regardless of their form.

NPCs receive different bonuses depending on form so there is a distinction between npc and PC

Urpriest
2015-05-25, 08:48 PM
PCs receive a +2 NA regardless of their form.

NPCs receive different bonuses depending on form so there is a distinction between npc and PC

That's not what the MM says. You're thinking about the phrasing "+2 natural armor bonus in any form", but that can mean either that the natural armor bonus reverts to +2 or that it increases by +2. So you look at the rest of the template, which clarifies.

Invader
2015-05-25, 08:52 PM
I don't see how you can interpret a PC lycanthrope receives anything other than a +2 NA in any form. It's exactly what the stat block says they receive.

Invader
2015-05-25, 08:54 PM
I'm not purposely trying to be argumentative, I'm far from the expert lol. I just have a hard time comprehending it any other way.

Urpriest
2015-05-25, 08:58 PM
I'm not purposely trying to be argumentative, I'm far from the expert lol. I just have a hard time comprehending it any other way.

Remember, Lycanthrope is a template applied to a humanoid and an animal.

Let me put this another way: do you think that, for example, a PC Lizardfolk Lycanthrope would have only +2 natural armor?

The +2 is in addition to previous natural armor, it doesn't replace it, as the full template description and every example character ever printed indicate.

Invader
2015-05-25, 09:06 PM
Remember, Lycanthrope is a template applied to a humanoid and an animal.

Let me put this another way: do you think that, for example, a PC Lizardfolk Lycanthrope would have only +2 natural armor?

The +2 is in addition to previous natural armor, it doesn't replace it, as the full template description and every example character ever printed indicate.

But the lizardfolk would be the base creature in that scenario right so you'd have your base NA plus the 2 from lycanthrope.

The example in the MM assumes a human as the base creature hence the human form which has +2 NA and +7 in bear an hybrid firms.

The only way for a PC to receive that would to already be a brown bear that gets afflicted. Base 5 NA plus the 2 from the template.

Chronos
2015-05-25, 09:38 PM
The example in the MM assumes a human as the base creature hence the human form which has +2 NA and +7 in bear an hybrid firms.
Yes, and so that's what a human werebear gets. Where are you getting that it's any different for PCs? In humanoid form, it gets the humanoid's natural armor +2. In bear form, it gets a bear's natural armor +2.

Invader
2015-05-26, 04:33 AM
Yes, and so that's what a human werebear gets. Where are you getting that it's any different for PCs? In humanoid form, it gets the humanoid's natural armor +2. In bear form, it gets a bear's natural armor +2.

OK now I see it. The wording was throwing me off.