PDA

View Full Version : [Riddle of Steel] Arena in distant Schemar [Combat Sim]

Lacco
2015-05-25, 06:57 PM
Schemar is a dusty place. A small, desert town, with only one specific feature - the Arena.

So much blood has soaked into the sand here, it's almost red. And now, you enter the arena.

There are two doors - one by which you enter, one by which he enters. Your opponent.

Here you can try out anything you want within the combat.

Nothing here transfers to the IC - nor wounds, neither equipment.

Feel free to try anything out.

We will include all rolls in the Spoilers.

Each of you can try out several opponents. I will add more as you defeat the former. So feel free to select opponent - and we'll star.

The players that don't want to fight can bet on the outcome or cheer for the warriors :smallbiggrin:

the lost peasant with a sling and staff
farmboy who holds the sword for the first time
spear-wielding hunter
Galissian Pirate with a cutlass
a sword-and-board soldier
the above-average fencer

Yet none.

OOC Thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?417190-Riddle-of-Steel-Travelling-Heroes-OOC)

We will start easy. I will add other options later. Experienced players may jump right into the fight.

1. Check your CP. This is your combat pool - the number of dice you have for both one round. It "refreshes" at the start of a round and you spend it for your actions. Dice can not be "spared" for next round.

2. Each melee round is divided into two exchanges. Think of the exchange as one action. Usually - you get one attack-your opponent defends, the opponent gets one attack-you defend. End of round. Refresh dice.

3. Initiative! It's a wonderful thing.
Take one white and one red dice. Imagine, that the red dice means attack, the white defence. Now hide them from everyone in your hand and select one - red if you want to attack, white if you want to defend yourself.
When I say "throw" we both throw the dice which we selected.
If we both throw white, we circle each other. We wait. No one attacks.
If one of us throws red and the other white - the red one has initiative and attacks. The white one defends.
Red-red means, we both attack. That can get messy, quick.

Since we are not at one table, you will "throw" your dice here. I promise not to cheat - what would the fun be there? :smallsmile:

Initiative is resolved this way only if we begin the combat or if there was a pause in combat. During combat the initiative shifts based on the tactics and rolls. We'll get there.

And one info - you don't have to roll the dice. It's just statement (I attack/I defend) of your action, hidden from the opponent.

Lesson 1 is over. Now - select your opponent...and INITIATIVE!

Dienekes
2015-05-25, 11:46 PM
I did my equipment and am ready to try this sucker out. I'll get the ball rolling by facing the hunter.

Townopolis
2015-05-26, 12:07 AM
((Reposted to include initiative))

Adro finds himself shoved into the arena facing the Galissian pirate. He's beginning to think he shouldn't've run his mouth at the tavern. Clad only in a leather Jerkin, he rushes to grab the short sword dropped before him.

[roll0]

Lacco
2015-05-26, 03:59 AM
Lesson 2: First attack, first defence.

You have CP at ready, you know the initiative.

Now the aggressor (the one who threw RED) states his intention in the form of

used offensive manuever
attack zone (if applicable)
dice used for the manuever

The defender (the one who threw WHITE) then states his intention, usually in the form of defensive manuever and allocated dice.

For the aggressor:
Basic offensive manuevers are cut (uses cut ATN), thrust (uses thrust ATN) and for blunt/mass weapons also strike ATN.
For cuts and strikes, if you want, you can strengthen your attack by spending an additional 1 dice for +1 to damage.
Usually you should pick the lower TN and choose attack based on the weapon you use (usually it's of no use cutting opponent with a rapier - only if you want to humiliate him).

The attack zones - since both fighters move for the whole time, it's hard to pinpoint exact place you hit. So below are the zones (usually you don't need to state which one you attack directly - a "overhead slash"/"diagonal strike"/"lunge at his chest" is enough for me to understand; but for this simulator, state the exact zone to the OOC spoiler) and the places you can hit.

Strike/cut zones

overhead (vertical) - shoulders, chest, head
diagonal - upper body
horizontal - from torso to thighs
arms - arms. Really.
from below (vertical) - legs, squishy parts, underbelly, belly
upper legs - the area around thighs
low legs - from knee below,

Thrust zones
head - head and neck
arms - arms. Really.
chest - torso and abdomen
abdomen - exactly what it says on the tin and below (again the squishy parts)
upper legs - the area around thighs
low legs - from knee below,

Yes, this RPG lets you kick people in the balls - and it hurts.

State what amount of dice do you allocate from your CP to the attack and wait for the opponent to select his defence.
Remember, if you don't plan to kill him by the first blow, there will be a second exchange - if you are left without dice and he has some, you have given him free ticket to wound you - and in this system, often the first wound wins the match.

For the defender:
Basic defensive manuevers are:

full evasion - you try to run away, get out of harm's way. You roll against DTN of 4 (very good), but you can not use it in exchange after you attacked.
partial evasion - you try to dodge the opponent's attack and stay close enough. You roll against DTN of 7. If you win the exchange (he misses), you can pay 2 dice from CP to get initiative.
duck & weave - you try to find optimal attack position after you dodge. You roll against DTN of 9 (very dangerous), but if you win, you are at your ideal length and the opponent is considered to have botched the roll (he additionally loses 1/2 of his invested dice)
parry - you try to parry with your weapon. You roll against DTN of your weapon. If you win the exchange, you automatically have initiative.
block - the same as parry, however you block with you shield - and use the DTN of shield.

Consider the amount of dice your opponent invested when choosing yours - it's always safer to defend with more, attack with less - only if you are sure that he has unwieldy weapon or you think you can withstand the punishment.
You do not have to select a zone you cover, however:

you are able to parry only one attack per round with one weapon (you can still parry second one by the off-hand weapon or by your hand)
using evade/dodge/duck&weave you dodge all attacks that are directed at you at that round
you are not able to parry an arrow, however you can try blocking it with the shield (there is a slight increase in DTN for that)

As soon as the opponent allocates his dice, you can state your defensive manuever and amount of dice.

And then we roll.

Wat

I did my equipment and am ready to try this sucker out. I'll get the ball rolling by facing the hunter.

When you enter the arena, you immediately catch the whiff of blood and notice the smear on one of the clay walls. The arena is quite small, only about 25 yards in diameter, oval and there is nothing in it.

You notice there are mostly rather bored peasants in the audience, with the exception of one well-clothed man.

The man, showed in through the door at the opposite side is swarthy, muscular and clothed only in furs. He wields a boar spear and has a large dagger behind his belt. He immediately stands into low position, with the spear pointed at Wat and starts circling him in a wide circle.

Initiative?

Adro

((Reposted to include initiative))

Adro finds himself shoved into the arena facing the Galissian pirate. He's beginning to think he shouldn't've run his mouth at the tavern. Clad only in a leather Jerkin, he rushes to grab the short sword dropped before him.

The pirate swayed a little bit - he didn't seem to look very well, he seemed sick or drunk. He slowly drew his cutlass with his right hand and licked his lips. Focusing on Adro, he moved closer...and closer...

...and suddenly he screamed and swinged the cutlass at Adro's neck...

Initiative: RED.
To make it easier, this one's a bit drunk. However, don't be fooled, this is fight to the death.

Pirate's attack: diagonal cut for 5 dice.
Your defence?

Townopolis
2015-05-26, 04:12 AM
Adro takes a quick step back and then another to the side. He has his sword raised, but he's mostly waving it around to distract the pirate while he dodges.

Full Evasion with 4 dice. I suppose I shall roll now?
[roll0]
Edit: Those are supposed to be D10s, aren't they? Are all dice in TRoS d10s?

Lacco
2015-05-26, 05:47 AM
Adro

Adro takes a quick step back and then another to the side. He has his sword raised, but he's mostly waving it around to distract the pirate while he dodges.

Full Evasion with 4 dice. I suppose I shall roll now?
[roll0] 2 successes
Edit: Those are supposed to be D10s, aren't they? Are all dice in TRoS d10s?

Pirate's swing wasn't too fast, but it caught Adro unprepared and he lost a moment while trying to dodge the cutlass. However, the pirate also lost momentum and his next attack seemed very slow. But still, he kept pushing Adro back - attacking with a slow swing from the other side...

Yes, all dice rolled by players are d10s. GM uses also 2d6 to determine hit location.

Let's see...

Attack roll (ATN 6) [roll0] 2 successes
Hit location (if necessary) [roll1] - not necessary, it's a tie = near hit. Initiative stays with the pirate.

Round 1, second exchange.

Pirate swings horizontally for 3 dice.
Defense?

Dienekes
2015-05-26, 09:28 AM
Sorry.

Red

Lacco
2015-05-26, 09:58 AM
Sorry.

Red

White.

Your attack?

Dienekes
2015-05-26, 11:09 AM
Wat clangs his spear and shield together once, more for his sake than the audience. Raising his spear he lashed out at his opponent.

thrust to the head 6 from my pool to attack, 1 for additional damage.
[roll0][roll1][roll2][roll3][roll4][roll5]
Damage ST+3=9

Townopolis
2015-05-26, 11:32 AM
Realizing the pirate will just chase him around the arena unless he stands and fights, Adro does his best to parry.

I assume full evasion = opponent always keeps advantage?
Parry with 4 dice. TN 7.
[roll0]

bluntpencil
2015-05-26, 11:36 PM
To hell with it, Ken will fight the above average fencer.

Lacco
2015-05-28, 04:03 AM
Wat

The hunter tries to parry with the spear's haft...

...and he succeeds, however, Wat's spear misses him only by inches and he keeps the attack momentum...

Wat clangs his spear and shield together once, more for his sake than the audience. Raising his spear he lashed out at his opponent.

thrust to the head 6 from my pool to attack, 1 for additional damage.
Damage ST+3=9

The 1 for additional damage works for cuts and swings, not thrusts. So I'll roll it for you... [roll]1d10[roll] and add it to your roll.

Block for 7 dice. [roll0].

It's 3 successes against 3 successes, so it's a tie. You attacked, so you keep initiative.

Second exchange, your attack?

Just to inform you for the future - the "thrust to head" is usually at activation cost (AC) = 1. That means, usually you would have to pay the one dice.

Adro

Realizing the pirate will just chase him around the arena unless he stands and fights, Adro does his best to parry.

I assume full evasion = opponent always keeps advantage?
Parry with 4 dice. TN 7.
[roll0]

The pirate swings...

...and there is a clash of steel on steel. Adro's fingers tingle from the sensation, and he instinctively takes another step back - but the pirate again attacks, slashing at his arms with the cutlass.

If you succeed in full evasion, there is a pause in combat - and you start again, with the initiative.

Attack - cut ATN 6 with 3 dice: [roll1]

It's again a tie! 1:1.

New round, new dice. Your CP fills up. The attacker keeps initiative. Attack - 5 dice at arms.

Usually swings at hands give you +1 dice - it's a good target, a close one.

You can now use "the new and improved Adro".

And somebody throws a backsword at his feet.
Backsword: 1h, M, ATN cut 7, ATN thrust 7, DTN 6, Cut damage ST+1, Thrust damage ST.

To hell with it, Ken will fight the above average fencer.

Kenneth enters the arena. His nostrils widen, recognizing the familiar smell. He is at "home". In his best.

The door against him open and young, slender man, wielding a slender sword in his hand. He looks very young, however his stride is confident and he seems to mean bussiness.

Initiative?

The sword is cut&thrust.

Dienekes
2015-05-28, 10:01 AM
Seemed to have messed up my bonus roll there, here I got it.
[roll0]

Neat that would be 4 successes, and, assuming he's holding the spear with 2 hands only 3 successes for him.

Townopolis
2015-05-28, 01:53 PM
(The new and improved) Adro stumbles back. Noticing the backsword, he crouches to pick it up and bring it to bear against the attack. The longer blade will help, he hopes, but he isn't confident.

Is there a penalty for crouching/switching weapons, or are you just letting me switch up for free?
Parry with 6 dice @ TN 6.
[roll0] 2 successes.

bluntpencil
2015-05-28, 06:12 PM
Ken wants to end the fight quickly, he goes in for the kill with his longer blade. His sword is held high, ready to lunge forward in a vicious attack.

RED, obviously, using an Aggressive stance.

I have a Combat Pool of 16 (!) for attacking with (7 Ref, 7 Longswords, +2 Aggressive stance).

Lacco
2015-05-29, 08:11 AM
Adro

The pirate swings at his arms with the cutlass. Adro tries to parry the blow, but pirate's cutlass slides below and strikes his elbow. Luckily, the strike is not strong enough to go through his leather armour, but will produce a nasty bruise...

However, the persistent enemy attacks once more, lunging forward and trying to stab him into his chest.

(The new and improved) Adro stumbles back. Noticing the backsword, he crouches to pick it up and bring it to bear against the attack. The longer blade will help, he hopes, but he isn't confident.

Is there a penalty for crouching/switching weapons, or are you just letting me switch up for free?
Parry with 6 dice @ TN 6.
[roll0] 2 successes. 4 successes (it's 6+, meaning you take 6 as success).

I'm letting you switch for free. Usually it would require a terrain roll. We'll get to it.

I'll also assume that you are at your ideal length of weapon - M = your opponent is in disadvantage.

5 dice @ TN 6 for attack [roll0] 4 successes.

Damage: ST 4 (no bonus for cutlass) + 2 net successes. DR (damage rating) = 6

Hit location: arms (rolled in other thread) - 4 - "elbow"

Adro's TO is 3
Adro's armour value (AV) at elbow is 2 (leather jerkin)

Resulting wound: DR 6 - TO 3 - AV 2 = 1

Level 1 wound: a glancing blow at the elbow; blood loss 0, shock 4 - WP (=0, pain 4 - WP (=0)

Result: you'll live for the moment. However, you are currently at disadvantage due to range (he moved to his optimal range).

Second exchange:

3 dice thrust against TN 7 to the chest 3d10

You lose 1 dice due to range.

Let's take initiative from this scoundrel! :smallsmile:

Ken

Ken wants to end the fight quickly, he goes in for the kill with his longer blade. His sword is held high, ready to lunge forward in a vicious attack.

RED, obviously, using an Aggressive stance.

I have a Combat Pool of 16 (!) for attacking with (7 Ref, 7 Longswords, +2 Aggressive stance).

Ooh, aggressive stance?

Let's see how well you defend later :smallbiggrin:. BTW, aggressive stance doesn't mean red... I was once surprised by one of my players this way... :smallsmile:

Normal stance, WHITE.

Your attack?

bluntpencil
2015-05-29, 10:13 AM
Ken skips into the attack, trying to plunge his blade into his foe, taking advantage of his longer weapon's reach.

Thrust
[roll0] TN 6

Dienekes
2015-05-29, 10:58 AM
Red
Thrust toward the target's chest.
[roll0]

Well screwed that roll up.

Dienekes
2015-05-29, 11:00 AM
Rerolling the attack

Lacco
2015-06-01, 02:37 AM
Ken skips into the attack, trying to plunge his blade into his foe, taking advantage of his longer weapon's reach.

Thrust
[roll0] TN 6

The fencer eyes him warily, reading and judging his moves before Ken even attacks. As Ken moves to attack, he counters his blade...

Giving away 2 dice for Read Body Language roll
PER/body language TN7 [roll0] = 4 successes
He gains 4 dice for defence against this attack as result.

Body language skill is vital for all fencers. It allows you to see, whether the attack is a feint and it allows you to prepare for the next attack.

For this, you need to observe the enemy - put 2 dice away for the focusing on his movements and roll PER/body language.
Each success you get is used for your defence against his attack - the dice can not be kept.
To see if the attack is a feint you must score at least 2 successes.

Counter (Activation cost 2) for 10 dice @ TN6
[roll1]

Successful, counter roll: [roll2]
It's pommel to the face!
The fencer gains 5 dice from Ken's attack.
(moving him from L to H = penalty of 3 dice)

Second exchange = pommel to the face for 8 dice (3 dice from his CP and 5 dice from counter)!

Your defence?

Counter is a defensive manuever, which uses the force of the attacker against him.
It has activation cost (usually 2 dice), which needs to be paid if you want to execute the manuever.
Dice are normally allocated to defence. However, if you succeed (=your successes > opponent's successes), you gain for the next attack bonus dice equal to opponent's successes on the attack (=you use the force of his attack against him).

However, since there are many types of counters, you need to roll for the exact result. I will post the explanation and counter table into OOC.

As you can see, it's quite handy manuever, especially for attackers who spend many dice in first round ("overextend themselves").

Red
Thrust toward the target's chest.
[roll0]

Well screwed that roll up.

Rerolling the attack

Hunter tries to dodge out of the spear's way - retreating fully. However, Wat is too fast in his attack and he can not disengage - however, his attack misses him.

The combat continues.

Full evasion, 4 dice @ TN 4
[roll3]

2:2 = tie.

New round, new dice. You keep initiative. Your attack?

Townopolis
2015-06-01, 02:43 AM
The shock of the blow to his elbow... shocks Adro. Rattled, he makes little attempt to parry. Opting instead to dash lurch to the side and backpedal furiously in an attempt to get out of the pirate's optimal reach.

Full evasion with his remaining dice (4, -1 for range)
[roll0] TN 4

bluntpencil
2015-06-01, 11:40 AM
Ken attempts to parry this blow, cursing himself for not being aggressive enough... or too aggressive. It's too dangerous to get into the ins-and-outs of it.

[roll0]

Lacco
2015-06-02, 02:28 AM
Adro

The shock of the blow to his elbow... shocks Adro. Rattled, he makes little attempt to parry. Opting instead to dash lurch to the side and backpedal furiously in an attempt to get out of the pirate's optimal reach.

Full evasion with his remaining dice (4, -1 for range)
[roll0] TN 4

The pirate lunges, Adro tries to evade - and the blade misses his chest again only by inches.

He hears a loud *gasp* from the audience - they seem to be enjoying the show, starting to warm up to the newcomer, who keeps them on toes by just staying alive and evading attacks just in time...

Sorry for wrong information - you lose only if you try to defend with the weapon or attack.
It does not affect dodging/evasion. So you get to roll additional die - if you let me... [roll0]

Pirate's attack: [roll1]

Ken

Ken attempts to parry this blow, cursing himself for not being aggressive enough... or too aggressive. It's too dangerous to get into the ins-and-outs of it.

[roll0]

Ken attempts to parry the the pommel flying towards his face aside - and manages to just push it away, however losing the footing and having to give ground to the opponent, who jumps after him, slashing his sword up from above...

8 dice @ TN 6 (pommel to face) - [roll2]

If connects, roll for location: [roll3]

It's 4 against 4 = a tie. Fencer has the initiative. Ken retains the length advantage.

New round, new dice.

His first attack is diagonal cut from the above for 5 dice. Your defence?

Word of advice - make your opponent overextend, don't do it yourself. There are ways how to counter nearly anything in this system. If I rolled better on the counter table, I would have additional 2 dice...that's 10 against 4 and that's never good.
Remember, defend with more.

bluntpencil
2015-06-02, 09:19 AM
Ken maintains his aggressive stance, but growls, holding his ground, waiting for the opponent to make the first move.

White!

Okay, I'm learning.

Attempting to steal the initiative when the fencer attacks. Maintain aggressive stance. How many dice do I have to steal initiative with?

Townopolis
2015-06-03, 01:32 AM
Adro continues trying to get away from his opponent's furious assault, now searching for an opportunity to seize the initiative and try to end this.

Not sure where Adro and the pirate stand. It's a new round, but who has initiative?
If we're rolling again: [roll0]
If Adro has initiative, he'll try a cut against the pirate's arms. He'll spend 3 CP on the attack.
If the pirate has initiative, Adro will continue to evade and will spend 1 more die than the pirate spends evading.

Roll: just going to roll ten dice. If Adro is attacking, use the first 3 results. If Adro is defending, use 1 more result than the pirate rolls.
[roll1]

Lacco
2015-06-03, 03:07 AM
Ken

Ken maintains his aggressive stance, but growls, holding his ground, waiting for the opponent to make the first move.

White!

Okay, I'm learning.

Attempting to steal the initiative when the fencer attacks. Maintain aggressive stance. How many dice do I have to steal initiative with?

The fencer slashes his cut&thrust diagonally from his left shoulder... Ken waits patiently for correct time to attack...

As stated above, it's diagonal slash for 5 dice.

You want to buy initiative the procedure from flower of battle is:
Instead of defence, state an attack (manuever + dice). You can go from defence to offence, but automatically your hit goes second after his.
Pay price for buying initiative. It's based on your proficiency. Proficiency 5-9 means 4 dice.
You may add dice to the attempt to steal initiative - to your REF.
Roll REF against your weapon's ATN.
I will roll REF against my weapon's ATN.
The one who has more successes hits first. In case of tie, higher REF goes first. If this is also tie, blows are simultaneous (which is never good).

The fencer, seeing your attack, will increase his REF by 4 dice at least.

Adro

Adro continues trying to get away from his opponent's furious assault, now searching for an opportunity to seize the initiative and try to end this.

Not sure where Adro and the pirate stand. It's a new round, but who has initiative?
If we're rolling again: [roll0]
If Adro has initiative, he'll try a cut against the pirate's arms. He'll spend 3 CP on the attack.
If the pirate has initiative, Adro will continue to evade and will spend 1 more die than the pirate spends evading.

Roll: just going to roll ten dice. If Adro is attacking, use the first 3 results. If Adro is defending, use 1 more result than the pirate rolls.
[roll1]

The pirate raises his cutlass above his head, roaring something unintelligible in Galissian, jumping forward, decided to end the fight.

Sorry, forgot to write it. So:
New round, new dice!
Since the roll was a tie, pirate has still initiative and decides to get a bit bolder on his attacks.
Slash for 6 dice + 1 additional to add power to the slash, vertical from above.

One request- never tell me what you are going to do before I state my attack :smallsmile: . I usually decide on NPCs tactic and hold it in mind, not doing anything the NPC would not do, I try to do my best to be as neutral as possible, but this makes it a bit hard.
So - let's do it again (I will let you keep the roll if you think it's worth it, but decide on the tactics).
And check the char creation thread - I will have a question there.

Your defence...?

Dienekes
2015-06-03, 10:26 AM
Thinking that he can end this quickly Wat lunges once more with his spear, toward the enemies chest.

Red
Roll of 8 TN 6
[roll0][roll1][roll2][roll3][roll4][roll5][roll6][roll7]
3 successes.

Townopolis
2015-06-03, 05:16 PM
Adro, for whatever reason, gets it into his head that trying to parry this attack would be a good idea.

Parry TN 6 with 8 dice. Not sure if he's still at -1 die for range. If he is, ignore the last result.
[roll0]

I believe the pirate has 8 dice compared to Adro's 10. The pirate's dice seem much, much hotter, though.

Lacco
2015-06-05, 01:46 AM
Wat

Wat's opponent tries to parry his spear - and is successful. Wat's spear is knocked down by hunter's parry and he'll have to defend himself...!

Parry for 7 dice.
[roll0]
5 successes = hunter parries and has initiative (the same as with Ken - no need to state initiative during fight. Once it is determined, it moves due to combat results - only after a break it is decided again).

Second exchange: Hunter attacks by thrusting the spear for 4 dice into Wat's belly!

Your defence?

Adro

There is a clash of blades as Adro parries the blow - and galissian's blade is finally met with a strong parry, that breaks his line of attacks!

You believe correctly. Always try to count his dice - it will give you insight into his second exchange plans/whether he overextends or plans something.

And yes, he's still at -1 die. I will however, ignore the first :smallsmile:

And a question - does you passion (hatred against Graz-il) extend to his allies, galissian pirates?

Attack: [roll1]

As you can see, you won the parry and thus initiative!

Now second exchange. Your attack?

Dienekes
2015-06-05, 09:43 AM
"Well, ****," Wat curses as his spear is batted aside. Seeing the incoming spear thrust, Wat raises his shield to defend himself.

Medium shield, TN 5 5 dice [roll0][roll1][roll2][roll3][roll4]

And if he still manages to hit me, but it's the right side of my chest I get to add my shield armor to my base armor. Neat.

Townopolis
2015-06-07, 01:55 PM
As his blade pushes the pirate's out of line, Adro sees an opportunity to strike back, and he does so with vigor and viciousness. The parry has already swung his sword out and to the side. He simply turns it so that the backswing might bite into the pirate's arm.

Cut against the pirate's arms. All remaining dice (2). I believe it's -1 for range, +1 for targeting the arms, so a total of 2.
TN 6.
[roll0]

Lacco
2015-06-09, 08:07 AM
Wat

"Well, ****," Wat curses as his spear is batted aside. Seeing the incoming spear thrust, Wat raises his shield to defend himself.

Medium shield, TN 5 5 dice [roll0][roll1][roll2][roll3][roll4] = 3 successes
And if he still manages to hit me, but it's the right side of my chest I get to add my shield armor to my base armor. Neat.

The hunter thrusts...and misses completely!

Spear: [roll0] @TN 7
Hit area (if applicable) [roll1]

Wat has the initiative. New round, new dice!

Your attack?

Adro

As his blade pushes the pirate's out of line, Adro sees an opportunity to strike back, and he does so with vigor and viciousness. The parry has already swung his sword out and to the side. He simply turns it so that the backswing might bite into the pirate's arm.

Cut against the pirate's arms. All remaining dice (2). I believe it's -1 for range, +1 for targeting the arms, so a total of 2.
TN 6.
[roll0] 2 successes

Adro's opponent tries to parry the oncoming blade with his cutlass, however since he overextended himself in the attack he has quite the trouble to parry - and Adro's vicious attack cuts a small wound in his upper arm!

The crowd cheers for Adro!

Parry for 2 dice: [roll2] @TN 7
One success = 1 net success!

Hit area (if applicable) [roll3]

Adro hits the pirate in the upper arm area!

Damage rating:
DR = 5 (weapon damage - ST +1) + 1 (for net success).
Opponent's armour value:
AV = 0 at shoulders (he has only normal shirt)
Opponent's TO rating = 4
Wound level = 5 - 4 = 1.

Blood loss = 0 (no significant blood loss)
Shock = 4-WP = 1 (he loses 1 die immediately)
Pain = 4-WP = 1 (and will continue to do so for the rest of the combat)

Adro retains initiative! New round, new dice. What is your attack?

Townopolis
2015-06-09, 03:59 PM
When the pirate recoils in pain, Adro does not step in to press the attack, which is probably fairly smart on his part because his weapon has the longer reach! Quick as he can, the bard brings his blade up and out of its backswing and then twists it into a mean, downward slash.

Diagonal cut, spending 4 CP, total 4 dice.

Don't know if there are any activation costs/bonuses for a diagonal cut. I believe the -1 dice for range goes away now, since I scored the last hit.

Dienekes
2015-06-09, 04:13 PM
Raising his spear Wat lunged forward once more toward his enemies chest.

Again, 8 to the chest need to get 6
[roll0][roll1][roll2][roll3][roll4][roll5][roll6][roll7]

Lacco
2015-06-10, 04:18 AM
Adro

When the pirate recoils in pain, Adro does not step in to press the attack, which is probably fairly smart on his part because his weapon has the longer reach! Quick as he can, the bard brings his blade up and out of its backswing and then twists it into a mean, downward slash.

Diagonal cut, spending 4 CP, total 4 dice.

Don't know if there are any activation costs/bonuses for a diagonal cut. I believe the -1 dice for range goes away now, since I scored the last hit.

The pirate tries to parry, the wound in his arm slowing him down for a fraction of second...

Parry for 4 dice.
No activation cost or bonus for the diagonal cut. For cut&thrust at least (rapier has activation cost for cut I think).
And yes, the range penalty is now on your opponent's side - each his attack will lose 1 die due to him being out of range.

One point to the footwork - if you don't state any specific footwork (e.g. pushing of opponent, leading him, moving around), it's expected that you move forward with each attack and back with a parry. We'll get to footwork/terrain rolls later.

And now - if you are ready, roll the dice (or state a feint).

Raising his spear Wat lunged forward once more toward his enemies chest.

Again, 8 to the chest need to get 6
[roll0][roll1][roll2][roll3][roll4][roll5][roll6][roll7] 4 successes

The hunter tries to dodge the spear, retreating, but he trips and falls down, Wat's spear plunges into his chest!
The spear goes deep and hunter's eyes close as he falls to the ground, lying motionlessly.

The crowd seems silent for a moment, but suddenly bursts into a loud cheer!

Full evasion for 6 die. TN 4
[roll0]

Quite persistant enemy.. :smallsmile: and the rolls fail him this time!
More than two 1s...and only one hit.

Wat's weapon DR = ST +2 = 8 + 3 net hits.
DR = 11
Hunter's AV + TO = 1 + 4 = 5
Damage level = 11-5 = 6.

Forgot to roll the random hit location, will do it in dice thread.
Random zone roll = 3 = chest.
L5 = pierced heart. Nearly instant death.

Would you like to hear a narration of this combat from the view of the crowd?

Townopolis
2015-06-10, 09:08 AM
Adro's blade meets steel... or flesh... he's hoping for flesh.

TN 7
[roll0]