PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Oracle Advice (new to pathfinder)

AmbientRaven
2015-05-26, 01:42 AM
Edit: I have decided on my path. This post is now a duplicate (sort of) of Post #7. Thank you for taking the time to read this

Hi Folks!

After having a few questions answered below, I decided to make a Oracle with Lame and Metal Mystery. It will be a dex based warrior/buffer/healer build in a party with 2x Rogue, 1x Wizard, 1x Alchemist. I have never made a Pathfinder character, so hopefully I haven't messed this up to bad.

Character Lore

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/a1/64/56/a1645698ef67334dbf45565cbfda8e6c.jpg
Da’Katsu Zhi-Ji’a
Da’Katsu was given the name Hiro at birth. He was born a seventh son to a noble family of Xue, his father was one of the emperor’s trusted first company Red Guard. As he grew it became apparent there was something wrong with his leg muscles, they could never grow as strong as other boys of his age, resulting in a thinner frame. This deformity, as his father saw it, was a curse upon their blood line, and he forbade his son from learning the arts of the No-Dachi, the family blade. Because of this Hiro spent most of his time with his grandfather, an old sword-smith whom knew the secrets of working ancestral magic’s into the blades he crafted. His Grandfather instructed him in the use of lighter arms and armour. Teaching him not in the ways of the No-Dachi, for his muscles were too weak to attack with brute power, but instead taught him the dance of the serpent. A combat style that relied upon fast rapid strikes with lighter blades that took advantage of Hiro’s speed and slight frame. When Hiro came of age, his grandfather took him as an apprentice, teaching him the ways of iron and steel.
At the age of 21, whilst Hiro had spent only three years learning the basics of ancestral magic-smithing, the emperor died. The first Hiro learned of this is when the Noble Council, accompanied by the Red Guard, marched upon his family’s castle. The gates were thrown open, and, to the family’s surprise, the emperors (daughter/niece?) greeted them from the Emperors palanquin. The family dropped to their knees, foreheads to ground at her presence. They were told the Emperor had died to (Uncleniece/Usurper)’s assassins. Their father had been on guard that night. His body was not found, but the rest of the Red Guard on duty had been slain. At this, the new Empresses stated that all family members, besides the youngest son, would be executed as traitors, their servants turned into slaves, the family castle put to the torch, the lands given off to other lords and that Hiro would be stripped of his name.
Hiro sat amongst the burning ash of his castle for seven days. He almost died of starvation before the spirit of his Grandfather appeared before him. His grandfather instructed him to find the Father, to learn what happened, and to cleanse the family name. At this the grandfather touched Hiros forehead and named him Da’Katsu Zhi-Ji’a. As his grandfather named him, Da’Katsu felt the power of his ancestors flow into his blood, and with it the knowledge of channelling it into the metals of his blade.
Now he burns with resolve to find his father, to learn of what happened to his family, and to master the magic’s his grandfather gifted upon him. He set of to the (direction party starts in), following the path his grandfather pointed him towards before he disappeared from Da’Katsu’s eyes.

Character creation is a 15pt buy. One campaign custom trait (mine is +2dex, -2 to cha to ability checks in foreign lands) and one trait that isn't from a specific campaign setting. We start at level 2 with 500 extra GP (guessing 500gp + level 1 gold, but will confirm)

So I was thinking

Human
Str: 10 Dex: 18 Con: 14 Int: 12 Wis: 8 Cha: 14 (Includes 2 dex from human, 2 dex from trait)
AC: 20
Initiative: +10
Weapons and Armour: Sickle (5gp), Piandao (Scimitar, 15gp), Kikko (30gp), Buckler (5gp)
Feats: Weapon Finesse, Improved Initiative
Revelation: Dance of the Blades
Curse: -10ft Movement
Traits: Ex-Red Guard, Reactionary
Skills: Animal Handling 1, Craft (weapons) 2, Craft (armour) 1, Diplomacy 1, Knowledge (hist) 1, Knowledge (planes) 1, Knowledge (religion) 2, Perception 2, Perform (dance) 2, Bluff 1, Intimidate 2
Language: Xue, +1 (common trade language most likely)
Spells
0: Detect Magic
1: Lead Blade, Cure Light Wounds, Bless, Shield of Faith
Level up bonuses: 1 Skill point, 1 0 level spell

3rd level plan: Feat: Dancing Dervish, Revelation: Skill at Arms, Spell: Divine Favour

It says Kikko armour is made from metal plates. So from my understanding this should work with Armour Mastery in the Metal Mystery. If not should I start with Steel Lamellar(150gp) instead as it is same AC as Kikko, but, it is more expensive.

I have only spent 55gp. What should I spend the other 445GP on? (325 If i need the Steel Lammeler). I was considering the following
Hemp Rope, 4 belt pouches, 5x Oil, Artisans Tools (smithing), Merchants Scale, Travelers Outfit, Bullseye Lantern, Bedroll, Pole, 5 Fish Hooks, Backpack, 2 Water skin, 2 Empty flasks, Flint & Steel, Iron pot, Small Steel Mirror
1 Tanglefoot Bag, 1 Thunderstone, 2 alchmical fire, 3 Bags of Caltrops
update: I have masterworked the scimitar and taken an oracle kit, fishing kit and 1-2 minor items. 180 left over gold still

Light Combat trained Horse, Military Saddle, 2 Saddle Bags, Bit and Bridle, 14 days feed

Thanks for any advice and help!

ylvathrall
2015-05-26, 02:46 AM
It sounds like you have a decent idea of how you want the character to work, so I'm just going to mention a couple of points that might help you realize that concept.

1) The Spirit Guide archetype makes heavy reference to the Shaman class. I think you mentioned in the other thread that hybrid classes aren't acceptable for this campaign, which means that this archetype is taking a whole lot of abilities from a banned class. You might want to ask before you take it.

2) If you want to play a melee-focused oracle, I would suggest you take a look at the Warsighted (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/oracle/archetypes/paizo---oracle-archetypes/warsighted) archetype. This archetype gets slightly fewer revelations, but can select a combat feat and use it for a limited time multiple times per day. If you then drop feats that you would have used for situationally useful combat feats into extra revelations instead, you end up with about the same power but more flexibility.

3) For multiclassing, you're almost certainly better off not, from an optimization perspective. An oracle's main features are spellcasting, revelations, and its oracle's curse, all of which improve based on oracle level. That said, what you've outlined is definitely flavorful and I don't think it would be a bad choice mechanically. If you want to go that route you might look at the Rage Prophet (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/prestige-classes/other-paizo/n-r/rage-prophet) prestige class, which is intended for oracle/barbarian characters and advances both classes reasonably well. You can also take extra rounds of rage or extra rage powers as feats, if you want to increase the barbarian side without putting more than a couple of levels into it.

4) For races, the only unique cleric/oracle spell for half-elves is Paragon Surge (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/p/paragon-surge), a 3rd level spell that gives you slight stat boosts and lets you gain one feat that you qualify for. If you really want the spell, you can probably play a human and take the Racial Heritage (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/racial-feats/racial-heritage) feat to gain access to it. On the whole I would say human is the stronger choice, but it's a small enough gap that you might just go with the one you like more for the character background.

grarrrg
2015-05-26, 02:51 AM
Also I am not sure between Half-Elf and Human as both would fit the background, I know Human get another Feat, but Half-Elves have access to a spell thats amazing I am told.

Paragon Surge (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/p/paragon-surge) is the spell.
The typical use is to grab the Expanded Arcana feat to temporarily learn 1 or 2 spells on the fly.
Do note that it has been Errata-Nerfed, and whatever feat/options you choose the first casting of each day are locked in for the rest of the day.

Also note that Half-Elves can take the Elf Favored Class (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/races/core-races/elf) bonus if they choose (they can take Human too, but it's identical to Half-Elf).
Elves get +1/2 level towards the Revelation effect of their choice.

But additional spells known is good too. Probably want to take the Elf option for the first couple levels (when all you can learn are more 0th level spells anyway), and then when you get to higher levels switch over and take the Half-Elf option.

Also heirloom Weapon, does the bonuses only affect that one weapon, or, do they affect all weapons of that type?

Given that the Trait keeps repeating "with that specific weapon", I'd say it only works with that one specific weapon, and not all of its type.

If you want to go that route you might look at the Rage Prophet (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/prestige-classes/other-paizo/n-r/rage-prophet) prestige class, which is intended for oracle/barbarian characters and advances both classes reasonably wellhardly anything outside of spellcasting.

No. Not Rage Prophet. Never Rage Prophet.
I'ts a horrible mish-mash of watered down features that probably doesn't do what you think it does, and unless you _REALLY_ know what you are doing you are just better off taking an extra level or two of Barbarian with your Oracle and calling it a day.

Spore
2015-05-26, 03:02 AM
Also I am not sure between Half-Elf and Human as both would fit the background, I know Human get another Feat, but Half-Elves have access to a spell thats amazing I am told.

First things first: Paragon Surge was nerfed.

The first time each day that you cast paragon surge, you must select a feat and make all the associated choices that come with it.

Also heirloom Weapon, does the bonuses only affect that one weapon, or, do they affect all weapons of that type?

Heirloom Weapon was also nerfed:

proficiency with that specific weapon

So for actual advise:
I would advise against dumping Strength because several cleric spells work of a decent strength score. It is also very hard to believe that a melee warrior has no physical strength superior to a normal barkeep. If you have enough points to invest in Dex depends on your point buy or rolls (because that can seriously rain on your parade). Generally there is nothing to say against Str 14 plus Dex14 or 16 unless you have to drop your Charisma or Constitution low for that. Furthermore the Metal mystery does not point towards Ancestry. The Ancestors, Time or even Lore mysteries do that better. I'm not sure how you would refluff that.

I'd go for a pure oracle build not only because multiclassing in PF requires insane care and planning ahead but also because a dip in Urban Barbarian feels weird without going Rage Prophet. Also Urban Barbarian gets no additional movement. If you want armored movement look for the Armored Hulk. Which crushes your fluff with Dex using. And Rage Prophet ruins your Auspicious Mark fluff/crunch thing.

Personally (ignoring some of your restrictions) I would go for:

Lame Metal Oracle: Dance of the Blades makes up for your hampered speed. Movement actually gives you an attack bonus (combine with Dodge, Mobility Spring Attack, so human is the choice because this is feat heavy) always wearing just enough armor to protect but not hamper your speed. Get a Wand of Longstrider and UMD it onto you. Have fun using your 60 ft. movement to slash people that can't hit you because they're too slow. Ancestors is more of a spiritual thing for him rather than powering magical effects and granting real revelations. Stay in Oracle and only dip out if you really need a combat feat badly (i.e. dipping Fighter 1/2)

ylvathrall
2015-05-26, 03:04 AM
No. Not Rage Prophet. Never Rage Prophet.
I'ts a horrible mish-mash of watered down features that probably doesn't do what you think it does, and unless you _REALLY_ know what you are doing you are just better off taking an extra level or two of Barbarian with your Oracle and calling it a day.

I did not mean to say that it was good, merely that it tries to work for the character concept being described. Honestly, my opinion of prestige classes is usually what you just said and I remember disliking Rage Prophet in particular. I only threw it out there because I was trying to point out options that someone unfamiliar with the system might not be aware of.

AmbientRaven
2015-05-26, 06:09 AM
Thank you for all of the advise!

I will skip the barbarian dip I think and go straight oracle.

The reason lore wise for the ancestors is that in the game setting, the region my character is from has no gods, they practice worship of ancestors and that is where their clerics and oracles get their power.

I plan to expand more on why he is Metal in his expanded story (Basically his curse made him not eligible for the royal guard, like his father was in, his grandfather was a sword smith and was beginning to teach him the ways of folding magic into the blades. Before the events happened that set him on his path)

I tend to prefer agile fighters as opposed to ones that rely heavily on strength. Which Is why I like dex builds. I also like the cinematic of agile fighters.
To take a game of thrones referance. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRDG6np1GlA

I think I will avoid rage prophet as well as its seems to take away a lot form Oracle

Is Paragon Surge worth it still? I can still get a feat each day that could be beneficial.

Warsighted looks interesting, but I lose a lot by going that. And I would have to trade a lot of feats for Revelations.
Though i can see how it will be beneficial.
If the DM ok's SPirit Guide is it worth it? The benefit of the battle spirit seems very beneficial.

Thank you for all the help so far

AmbientRaven
2015-05-26, 09:21 AM
Da’Katsu grewas given the name Hiro at birth. He was born a seventh son to a noble family of Xue, his father was one of the emperor’s trusted first company Red Guard. As he grew it became apparent there was something wrong with his leg muscles, they could never grow as strong as other boys of his age, resulting in a thinner frame. This deformity, as his father saw it, was a curse upon their blood line, and he forbade his son from learning the arts of the No-Dachi, the family blade. Because of this Hiro spent most of his time with his grandfather, an old sword-smith whom knew the secrets of working ancestral magic’s into the blades he crafted. His Grandfather instructed him in the use of lighter arms and armour. Teaching him not in the ways of the No-Dachi, for his muscles were too weak to attack with brute power, but instead taught him the dance of the serpent. A combat style that relied upon fast rapid strikes with lighter blades that took advantage of Hiro’s speed and slight frame. When Hiro came of age, his grandfather took him as an apprentice, teaching him the ways of iron and steel.
At the age of 21, whilst Hiro had spent only three years learning the basics of ancestral magic-smithing, the emperor died. The first Hiro learned of this is when the Noble Council, accompanied by the Red Guard, marched upon his family’s castle. The gates were thrown open, and, to the family’s surprise, the emperors (daughter/niece?) greeted them from the Emperors palanquin. The family dropped to their knees, foreheads to ground at her presence. They were told the Emperor had died to (Uncleniece/Usurper)’s assassins. Their father had been on guard that night. His body was not found, but the rest of the Red Guard on duty had been slain. At this, the new Empresses stated that all family members, besides the youngest son, would be executed as traitors, their servants turned into slaves, the family castle put to the torch, the lands given off to other lords and that Hiro would be stripped of his name.
Hiro sat amongst the burning ash of his castle for seven days. He almost died of starvation before the spirit of his Grandfather appeared before him. His grandfather instructed him to find the Father, to learn what happened, and to cleanse the family name. At this the grandfather touched Hiros forehead and named him Da’Katsu Zhi-Ji’a. As his grandfather named him, Da’Katsu felt the power of his ancestors flow into his blood, and with it the knowledge of channelling it into the metals of his blade.
Now he burns with resolve to find his father, to learn of what happened to his family, and to master the magic’s his grandfather gifted upon him. He set of to the (direction party starts in), following the path his grandfather pointed him towards before he disappeared from Da’Katsu’s eyes.

This explains the Metal, oracle powers, ancestral tie in, the lame curse and why he is dex based.

Also character creation is a 15pt buy. One campaign custom trait (mine is ex-red guard +2dex, -2 to cha ability checks in foreign lands) and one trait that isn't from a specific campaign setting.
We also start at level 2 with 500 extra GP (guessing 500gp + level 1 gold, but will confirm)

So I was thinking

Human
Str: 10 Dex: 18 Con: 14 Int: 12 Wis: 8 Cha: 14 (Includes 2 dex from human, 2 dex from trait)
AC: 20
Initiative: +10
Weapons and Armour: Sickle (5gp), Piandao (Scimitar, 15gp), Kikko (30gp), Buckler (5gp)
Feats: Weapon Finesse, Improved Initiative
Revelation: Dance of the Blades
Curse: -10ft Movement
Traits: Ex-Red Guard, Reactionary
Skills: Animal Handling 1, Appraise 1*, Craft (weapons) 2*, Craft (Armour) 1*, Diplomacy 1*, Knowledge (Hist) 2*, Perception 2, Perform (dance) 2, Bluff 1* (* signifies class skill)
Language: Xue, +1 (common trade language most likely)
Spells
0: Detect Magic
1: Lead Blade, Cure Light Wounds, Bless, Shield of Faith
Level up bonuses: 1 Skill point, 1 0 level spell

3rd level plan: Feat: Dancing Dervish, Revelation: Skill at Arms, Spell: Divine Favour

It says Kikko armour is made from metal plates. So from my understanding this should work with Armour Mastery in the Metal Mystery. If not should I start with Steel Lamellar(150gp) instead as it is same AC as Kikko, but, it is more expensive.

I have only spent 55gp. What should I spend the other 445GP on? (325 If i need the Steel Lammeler)

Thanks for any advice and help!

Geddy2112
2015-05-26, 10:23 AM
Stats look fine. Eventually you will need charisma boosting to cast higher level spells. Since your spells are going to be mostly buffs and support don't worry about getting it too high, but eventually you need 19.

Consider masterworking your scimitar for an additional +1 to hit and the ability to enchant it. Kikko armor is metal(iron plates) so it would count for armor mastery, and I would take armor mastery at level 3 unless you plan on getting into heavy armor, in which case keep skill at arms. Eventually you want both so you can move at full speed with some decent bonuses in heavy. That said, your dex is probably going to be your primary boosted stat so even with armor mastery you might still want medium for a higher dex bonus to your AC.

Knowledge history is usually sufficient with a single rank. Religion and planar come up far more often for identifying monsters and are usually worth maxing out. Disable device is great but with 2 rogues you don't need ranks. Depending on how they go skillwise consider picking up intimidate. The wizard can handle spellcraft usually but it never hurts to have a backup. Even with a hit to wis ranks in sense motive are also useful. I rarely find appraise useful, but depending on your DM it might be important. You need a lot of ranks before it can pay off as the standard DC is 20, so maybe your wizard can handle it.

For the rest of your orisons, create water, guidance, mending, read magic, light and detect poison are all good.

Buy a basic cleric/oracle kit or adventuring gear and call it a day.

AmbientRaven
2015-05-26, 10:59 AM
Stats look fine. Eventually you will need charisma boosting to cast higher level spells. Since your spells are going to be mostly buffs and support don't worry about getting it too high, but eventually you need 19.

1 - Consider masterworking your scimitar for an additional +1 to hit and the ability to enchant it.
2 - I would take armor mastery at level 3 unless you plan on getting into heavy armor, in which case keep skill at arms.
3 - Eventually you want both so you can move at full speed with some decent bonuses in heavy. That said, your dex is probably going to be your primary boosted stat so even with armor mastery you might still want medium for a higher dex bonus to your AC.

4- Knowledge history is usually sufficient with a single rank. Religion and planar come up far more often for identifying monsters and are usually worth maxing out. Disable device is great but with 2 rogues you don't need ranks. Depending on how they go skillwise consider picking up intimidate. The wizard can handle spellcraft usually but it never hurts to have a backup. Even with a hit to wis ranks in sense motive are also useful. I rarely find appraise useful, but depending on your DM it might be important. You need a lot of ranks before it can pay off as the standard DC is 20, so maybe your wizard can handle it.

5- For the rest of your orisons, create water, guidance, mending, read magic, light and detect poison are all good.
6- Buy a basic cleric/oracle kit or adventuring gear and call it a day.

Thank you for your feedback!
The eventual plan is Charisma 19, Str 13, Rest into dex (13 Str for Power Attack, as I believe Dervish Dance makes it possible to Dex Power attack if I wield the scimitar two handed)

1: That is a good point, I will do that.
2: I need Skill at Arms to be able to get Dervish Dance, as that is how I get martial proficiency to use a scimitar.
3: Max Heavy armour AC is 13 (9 +4dex) max Medium is 12 (6+6dex) not including mithral. But Medium armour I wont lose 10ft of movement, But I will in Heavy. I plan t take Armour Master as my next revelation after Skill at Arms
4: How does this look instead Skills: Animal Handling 1, Craft (weapons) 2, Craft (armour) 1, Diplomacy 1, Knowledge (hist) 1, Knowledge (planes) 1, Knowledge (religion) 2, Perception 2, Perform (dance) 2, Bluff 1, Intimidate 2. Also I dontt hink i had Disable device listed.
Also is my calculation correct? 4skills + 1 from int +1 from leveling up +1 Human. So i should have 14 skill points at level 2?
5:I bulked out my orisons, i misread the chart initally
6: I went with Oracle kit, fishing kit, caltrops, extra flask, extra water skin, steel mirror (if i get the metal reveation that allows scrying in a metal surface)

Thanks again for your feedback!

Geddy2112
2015-05-26, 11:45 AM
Skills look good and you calculated right.I know you did not have disable device listed, but it is a class skill for you and you are dex based, so it would be tempting. I was saying you don't need it with two rogues so you could point points elsewhere.

Gear looks good, save the rest of your coin.

I don't think you can dervish dance and use the scimitar 2 handed, but power attack would still probably be useful at higher levels. I forgot you need skill at arms for proficiency, armor mastery will be a good choice for your next revelation.

+1 to AC is not worth the slower movement speed, and having a higher touch AC is more important than a higher AC in general. At higher levels, AC is a losing game anyways but dex is always useful. Not to mention the lower armor check penalty, although with mithral and your armor training you won't be looking at any armor check penalty eventually.

AmbientRaven
2015-05-26, 12:02 PM
Ahhh ok that makes sense re: Disable Device

The eventual plan is Mithril armour :)

As to power attack
Dervish Dance: When wielding a scimitar with one hand, you can use your Dexterity modifier instead of your Strength modifier on melee attack and damage rolls

Power Attack: You can choose to take a –1 penalty on all melee attack rolls and combat maneuver checks to gain a +2 bonus on all melee damage rolls. This bonus to damage is increased by half (+50%) if you are making an attack with a two-handed weapon, a one handed weapon using two hands, or a primary natural weapon that adds 1-1/2 times your Strength modifier on damage rolls.

One-Handed Rules: A one-handed weapon can be used in either the primary hand or the off hand. Add the wielder's Strength bonus to damage rolls for melee attacks with a one-handed weapon if it's used in the primary hand, or 1/2 his Strength bonus if it's used in the off hand. If a one-handed weapon is wielded with two hands during melee combat, add 1-1/2 times the character's Strength bonus to damage rolls.

I'll be using a weapon that I can use both hands to attack with. It would normally gain 1.5x Str. Dervish reads Str is replaced with dex. SO this reads as I gain 1.5x damage using two handed with dex. Which means Power Attack should also scale up in damage

From a quick google this seems legal, though the only posts I could find are 3 years old now, so i may be missing a FAQ

ylvathrall
2015-05-26, 12:03 PM
Is the extra +1 skill point from your favored class bonus? If so, you might want to take the human racial bonus, which is: "Oracle: Add one spell known from the oracle spell list. This spell must be at least one level below the highest spell level the oracle can cast." You would only be able to pick up orisons for the first few levels, but clerics get enough good spells that even that might be worth more than the extra skill point.

Spirit Guide is a decent archetype, mostly for the sake of flexibility. Being able to shuffle the new abilities around every day does a lot to offset the oracle's fixed spell list and revelations, which is one of the bigger weaknesses the class has. You do have to trade three revelations for it, though, which can be a problem; you also cannot take both Spirit Guide and Warsighted, since they both replace the 7th level revelation. Either way, you might also want to take the Dual-Cursed Oracle archetype to get two revelations back, along with giving you access to two decent revelations you couldn't take otherwise. If you take a curse that doesn't get that much better with level, Dual-Cursed doesn't hurt too much. You would lose access to some of your mystery spells, though, which might be a problem if you were counting on having them.

Geddy2112
2015-05-26, 12:30 PM
Ahhh ok that makes sense re: Disable Device

The eventual plan is Mithril armour :)

As to power attack
Dervish Dance: When wielding a scimitar with one hand, you can use your Dexterity modifier instead of your Strength modifier on melee attack and damage rolls

That would work, but Dervish dance says "When wielding a scimitar with one hand... so full stop right there. Power attack still gives extra oomph, but you cannot two hand and dervish dance.

Is the extra +1 skill point from your favored class bonus? If so, you might want to take the human racial bonus, which is: "Oracle: Add one spell known from the oracle spell list. This spell must be at least one level below the highest spell level the oracle can cast." You would only be able to pick up orisons for the first few levels, but clerics get enough good spells that even that might be worth more than the extra skill point.

This is great once you can start picking up higher level spells, but worthless for orisons. By level 10 you have 9 orisons. There are only 14 and 4(virtue, stabilize, resistance, bleed) are totally useless, meaning you are going to miss out on spark, woo.
You get 5 at level 2, meaning you have the big ones(detect magic, create water, read magic, light plus one of your choice) and the rest are decent but nothing you cannot live without.

AmbientRaven
2015-05-26, 12:43 PM
I considered Dual Cursed (Haunted/lame). Fortune/Misfortune are nice, so is Ill Omen,. Bestow curse I can take at 3rd level and Oracle's burden isn't really worth the spell slot 99% of the time at a guess, unless we have a disarmer in the group or I need to slow someone. An the build I am going will have lower DC's.

I'll also lose Lead Blade (increases weapon damage die by one) and Keen.
Though, I guess early on dual cursed may not be as good, but, later on it may be a lot better due to Fortune/Misfortune.
So I guess it comes down to Keen vs Ill Omen/Fortune & Misfortune

@Geddy ahhh ok that makes perfect sense then. That's what you get fro reading at 3am!
You can still one handed power attack for -1/+2 though correct?

Revelations:
1: Dance of Blades
3: Skill at Arms
DC5: Misfortune
7: Armour Mastery
11: Fortune
DC13: Iron SKin
15: Skill at Arms
19: Vision in Iron

This doesn't take into account burning feats (which i would probably burn level 6 for Armour Mastery)

Geddy2112
2015-05-26, 01:07 PM
Correct, and as a 3/4th BAB class you can get some pretty decent mileage out of power attack.

Spore
2015-05-26, 07:27 PM
Also remember to check by your DM if you can use Misfortune to unpickle your saving throw. By RAW you can use this on yourself (and allies) to force yourself to not accept a failed saving throw.

ylvathrall
2015-05-26, 07:38 PM
Also remember to check by your DM if you can use Misfortune to unpickle your saving throw. By RAW you can use this on yourself (and allies) to force yourself to not accept a failed saving throw.

I would assume this is the case, given that there's nothing in the revelation description to suggest otherwise and it hasn't been errata'd to my knowledge. At most you could make a case that the line "a creature within 30 feet" and the existence of the Fortune revelation make it exclude the oracle.

Obviously the GM can rule otherwise if they want to. If so, I think Dual-Cursed would lose a lot of its appeal. It isn't terrible, but the positive aspects of Misfortune are definitely the most in line with a buffer/support oracle.

Spore
2015-05-26, 08:05 PM
Obviously the GM can rule otherwise if they want to. If so, I think Dual-Cursed would lose a lot of its appeal. It isn't terrible, but the positive aspects of Misfortune are definitely the most in line with a buffer/support oracle.

Well, my DM almost threw dice at me (and my friend who played a witch) because he had to succeed in three saves versus a single save or suck spell.

1) Misfortune Revelation
2) Ill Omen
3) Misfortune Hex

Combine this with (Major) Curse (-4 to saves) and the Evil Eye hex (-4 by the time Curse comes online) and you have yourself a target that suffer -8 to saves and has to save thrice. Even without the Witch it's save twice on -4 or suffer consequences.

He had planned an epic fight versus a Troll King Half Fiend Antipaladin which we shut down and pummeled to death like a big regenerating pinata.

AmbientRaven
2015-05-27, 05:47 AM
Someone has pointed out I will struggle to get power attack and 19 Cha for spell casting.

I'm wondering about a strength build might not be better

I am also really torn on going spirit guide or not (being dex I don't gain as much as a str build would)

Dual curse as well, I lose some good spells, but gain amazing reactions

Spore
2015-05-27, 07:16 AM
I'm wondering about a strength build might not be better

Well, I've only said it thrice :)

It IS better. That being said, a dex build has better initiative and AC (the latter becoming more and more redundant as you grow in levels). I'm still confused how you generated your attributes since they add up to 13 point buy. If I think about 15 point buy, you could do the following:

Str 15 (+2) / Dex 12 / Con 14 / Int 10 / Wis 10 / Cha 14