PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Effective Character Level = Racial Hit Dices + Class Levels + Level Adjustment

Pippin
2015-05-26, 03:44 PM
Let's suppose that an Ogre (HD 4, LA 2) with 3 levels of Barbarian and 1 level of Bloodline changes bodies and becomes a Human thanks to Reincarnate.

1. Would it keep its HDs, its bloodline level and its LA?

2. What if it was PAO'ed into a Human instead?

Venger
2015-05-26, 03:47 PM
Let's suppose that an Ogre (HD 4, LA 2) with 3 levels of Barbarian and 1 level of Bloodline changes bodies and becomes a Human thanks to Reincarnate.

1. Would it keep its HDs, its bloodline level and its LA?

2. What if it was PAO'ed into a Human instead?

reincarnate eliminates RHD and LA. I'm not sure about bloodlines.

PAO doesn't change your HD, so they'd be left alone, as would your LA. beware, your int will change, so it may mess with your skill points.

Pippin
2015-05-26, 03:56 PM
reincarnate eliminates RHD and LA. I'm not sure about bloodlines.

PAO doesn't change your HD, so they'd be left alone, as would your LA. beware, your int will change, so it may mess with your skill points.

Would you be able to take another level in bloodline if you're PAO'ed? Regardless, would you even retain the benefits of your bloodline?

Also, are you sure changing your INT impacts your entire skill rank distribution, and not just future skill ranks?

Venger
2015-05-26, 04:01 PM
Would you be able to take another level in bloodline if you're PAO'ed? Regardless, would you even retain the benefits of your bloodline?

Also, are you sure changing your INT impacts your entire skill rank distribution, and not just future skill ranks?

as I said, I don't know how bloodlines work, so I'm not sure

yes. you're changing your actual int, not just enjoying a temporary bonus.

Karl Aegis
2015-05-26, 04:56 PM
ECL = Hit Dice + Level Adjustment

Class levels give hit dice. You don't count class levels twice.

Pippin
2015-05-26, 05:03 PM
ECL = Hit Dice + Level Adjustment

Class levels give hit dice. You don't count class levels twice.
Fixed that.

Taelas
2015-05-26, 05:32 PM
("Dice" is already plural. Singular form is "die".)

I'm not sure I agree the RHD and the LA gets tossed. The reincarnate spell doesn't address it. (It only speaks of removing "racial adjustments", but doesn't explain what they are, and the term is not defined anywhere else that I can find. From the context, it refers to racial ability adjustments, but...)

It certainly makes sense, though. If you do toss 'em, I'd remove the bloodline levels too. (Though I would not play with bloodline levels in the first place, they are rather messed up.)

Venger
2015-05-26, 06:01 PM
("Dice" is already plural. Singular form is "die".)

I'm not sure I agree the RHD and the LA gets tossed. The reincarnate spell doesn't address it. (It only speaks of removing "racial adjustments", but doesn't explain what they are, and the term is not defined anywhere else that I can find. From the context, it refers to racial ability adjustments, but...)

It certainly makes sense, though. If you do toss 'em, I'd remove the bloodline levels too. (Though I would not play with bloodline levels in the first place, they are rather messed up.)

huh?

reincarnate does give you the RHD of your new shape, that's the drawback of it, in case you come back as something like gnoll or bugbear.

ExLibrisMortis
2015-05-26, 06:10 PM
But you're not changing your skill ranks, only your skill points. You don't retroactively change your skill ranks, up or down.

Psychic reformation might use your new intelligence score, though.

Taelas
2015-05-27, 12:07 AM
huh?

reincarnate does give you the RHD of your new shape, that's the drawback of it, in case you come back as something like gnoll or bugbear.

It actually doesn't say that either. It says you get "all abilities associated with its new form", which can certainly be interpreted to include RHD. But even if you do, it doesn't say it removes any original RHD. (There's nothing that says you can't have different RHD -- Giant lycanthropes have both Giant and Animal HD, for example.)

The drawback of reincarnate is that you don't have any control over what form you get, so you can get something entirely inappropriate for your build. (You also lose any mental attribute bonuses you might have had, and get nothing in return for them.)

Eloel
2015-05-27, 12:12 AM
as I said, I don't know how bloodlines work, so I'm not sure

You don't get +skill points for putting 4th level point to Int. Skill points are never retroactive.

Segev
2015-05-27, 09:01 AM
Indeed, skill points are not retroactive.

If you are an Int 13 level 2 elf rogue, you have 45 skill points. When you hit level 4, if you put +1 into your Int, you gain 10 sp more (rather than the 9 you would have gotten without bumping Int up). You do NOT gain another 5 sp for levels 1 and 2. If you're PAO'd by a villain into an ogre and your int drops to 6, when you hit level 5 as a rogue, you'll gain 6 sp (8 for class, -2 for Int 6). You do NOT lose any sp from prior levels.

Pippin
2015-05-28, 02:58 PM
Assuming I am a Human Cleric X/Wizard Y and am reincarnated as a Dwarf.

Do I lose the bonus skill point for each level?
Do I lose my 1st-level bonus feat?
Do I get a penalty for multi-classing?

Segev
2015-05-28, 03:01 PM

Very good questions that are not adequately answered in the RAW, actually. The way I usually see it run, all three answers are "no," but that's not a guarantee of that being true by the RAW, let alone at any particular table.

ExLibrisMortis
2015-05-28, 03:07 PM

I would be inclined to say from now on, not sure, and from now on.

You don't lose any skill ranks you have bought with your human bonus skill points. You don't get bonus skill points for your next levels, because you're not a human.
I don't know about the human bonus feat. You can rule either way; it depends a bit on whether you mark the origin of a feat. DCS'd heroics or VoP feats don't go away, so that suggests feats don't have any memory of why you have them. In that case, you don't lose the human bonus feat. This has as a consequence that you can reincarnate between human and other races, to get infinite bonus feats. Well, it's not the easiest way to get them, so it won't break anything I suppose.
Yes, from now on, you use the dwarven rules for multiclassing. You don't retroactively lose xp, of course.

Flickerdart
2015-05-28, 03:08 PM

Skill points only exist during leveling up, once invested they become skill ranks. You don't lose them because they are not a bonus from being human (just a consequence from the bonus).
Feats, on the other hand, exist all the time. You would lose the feat.
You will now accrue multiclass penalties, but do not receive any retroactively.

Pippin
2015-05-28, 03:18 PM
Skill points only exist during leveling up, once invested they become skill ranks. You don't lose them because they are not a bonus from being human (just a consequence from the bonus).
Feats, on the other hand, exist all the time. You would lose the feat.
You will now accrue multiclass penalties, but do not receive any retroactively.
Makes sense, thanks.

Follow-up question: if the die resulted in 100 and caused the DM to revive me as an NPC race with no details regarding a possible favored class, should that be equivalent to "Favored Class: Any" or "Favored Class: None"?

I would be inclined to say from now on, not sure, and from now on.

You don't lose any skill ranks you have bought with your human bonus skill points. You don't get bonus skill points for your next levels, because you're not a human.
I don't know about the human bonus feat. You can rule either way; it depends a bit on whether you mark the origin of a feat. DCS'd heroics or VoP feats don't go away, so that suggests feats don't have any memory of why you have them. In that case, you don't lose the human bonus feat. This has as a consequence that you can reincarnate between human and other races, to get infinite bonus feats. Well, it's not the easiest way to get them, so it won't break anything I suppose.
Yes, from now on, you use the dwarven rules for multiclassing. You don't retroactively lose xp, of course.
I actually didn't see the two posts above Flickerdart's. What you said about feats makes sense as well. It's probably the DM's call, in the end.

Flickerdart
2015-05-28, 03:28 PM
Makes sense, thanks.

Follow-up question: if the die resulted in 100 and caused the DM to revive me as an NPC race with no details regarding a possible favored class, should that be equivalent to "Favored Class: Any" or "Favored Class: None"?
None. There's no rule I'm aware of that requires a race to have a favored class; it's just a bonus that playable races have.