PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Class D&D 3.5, quick and dirty monk fix (PEACH)

YossarianLives
2015-05-26, 06:04 PM
For years the monk has been bemoaned as a huge disappointment and one of the worst classes in 3.5. I intend to fix that with a few simple changes. I want to make it the fast and deadly skirmisher it was designed to be. To do this I have made three, relatively simple changes to the monk.

-They get the full BAB progression.

-Flurry of blows requires a standard action, instead of a full-action.

-No penalty on attack rolls for using flurry of blows.

What do you all think? Is this enough to even touch the ceiling of tier 5?

DeAnno
2015-05-28, 04:09 AM
Unfortunately all you really accomplished was a Lawful flavored version of the Pouncebarian dip. It might be T4, but its completely frontloaded.

Fizban
2015-05-28, 08:03 AM
Ever since I noticed it, I've been preachin' it whenever I can: the monk fix you're looking for isn't attack bonus, it's actually armor class! People expect monks to be like an action movie, dodging almost every attack that comes their way, but in DnD the only way to increase your armor class is with magic items. Wis to AC? Not any better than dex alone since you need even more stats. Scaling AC bonus? At 1/5 levels it's a joke. If you give monks a solid 2+1/2 level AC bonus, suddenly they can match non-magical armor (and then add magic items like everyone else). Maybe throw in another +2 or 4 or 1/3 or 1/2 level when not flurrying to replace a shield bonus. Other fixes are all fine and good, but if you don't fix the AC it's never gonna feel right.

(Full BAB and standard action Flurry are quite common suggestions, I wouldn't remove the attack penalty from Flurry completely though since it already does that over time, giving a reason to stay in the class. You should also remove the bonus feat restrictions and just make it "monk related feats," since there are so many alternate fighting styles and monk targeted feats from other books. Don't forget about the Necklace of Natural Attacks, the cheaper version of the Amulet of Natural Weapons, or just allow magic gauntlets/fist wrappings.)

nonsi
2015-05-28, 05:08 PM
For years the monk has been bemoaned as a huge disappointment and one of the worst classes in 3.5. I intend to fix that with a few simple changes. I want to make it the fast and deadly skirmisher it was designed to be. To do this I have made three, relatively simple changes to the monk.

-They get the full BAB progression.

-Flurry of blows requires a standard action, instead of a full-action.

-No penalty on attack rolls for using flurry of blows.

What do you all think? Is this enough to even touch the ceiling of tier 5?

1. Reminder: Monks treat their unarmed attack as both natural and manufactured, so they can enhance themselves and can take Improved Natural Attack feat (first take Superior Unarmed strike (ToB)).
2. Go to my 3.5e Overhaul project and:
2.1. Go over my proposed combat rules (post #3)
2.2. Go over my proposed Monk class (post #21)

I believe this will give you enough to work with.

YossarianLives
2015-05-30, 11:39 AM
Thanks for the advice. I'll definitely modify it to be more balanced and have a higher AC.