PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Encounter help: the psion, the knights,and the wardens doppleganger.

1Forge
2015-05-26, 06:52 PM
Hey guys it's been a while, but I need some advice again.
So i'm running a game with 9-10 players

(two bards lvl 2 , three fighters lvl 1&2&3,One wizard lvl 3,one rogue lvl 2, one barbarian,and one druid lvl 2.)

They have been hired by a caravan driver to help guard a magic artifact (a small piece of a god) Part way through i decided I wanted to ease up a bit on the world saving stuff and give them a chance to do more minor quests for a time. To do this I made their next objective a city called the citadel (a fortress made by dwarves and humans) unfortunately it's under siege from the elvish army. I pretty much forced them to try to get in by making anything else they did extremely dull :smallbiggrin:. Boredom worked it's magic and they decided to infiltrate the city. The rogue and the caravan driver knew of a thieves entrance in a collapsed sewage pipe. they went in with elvish hostages, halfway through I gave them what i thought would be an impossible encounter (a wyvren CR:6) but they wiped the floor with it (half of them got nat20's on initiative, and two got 1's (the two ones had to roll vs fear for several turns)

So here becomes our problem these lvl 2-3's (they do have magic and cursed items) have recently wiped the floor with everything ever since they killed some priests of the 4th wall (cultists that seek out those that break the universes 4th wall:smallbiggrin:)

For our next encounter I planned for them to encounter the warden of the citadel (actually a doppelganger placed by Bane the god of war in a previous campaign) He will attempt to read their minds, and on a successful check he will attack. (on a failed they will become permanent guests if you get my meaning) If combat is initiated then the party will have to fight 3 knights two paladins (lvl3) one psion/wizard dude, and the doppelganger. (more knights and guards will arrive as seen fit and In the city projectile spells have a 50% chance of fizzling mid air) Then they will have to escape the citedel and the city. Does this encounter seem challenging enough?

note resources at their disposal include but are not limited to: one +1 lighting morning star, one cursed projectile shield, one 5th level staff of the stars (modified cloak of the stars), a cloak of displacement,one masterwork glaive,one bottle of sovereign glue,one bottle of infinite oil,one bottle of infinite glowing water :smallbiggrin:,one cheese sandwich,and a pair of boots labeled spiffy boots(that are magical, but no stats yet) Furthermore the rouge and 3rd level fighter are cursed. And finally the rogue has theives guild connections, and the wizard just got a magic item that has yet to be determined.

Please post any Ideas, thoughts, or questions you have:smallbiggrin: