PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder [Unchained] Automatic Bonus Progression - What do you think?

Extra Anchovies
2015-05-26, 07:43 PM
As the title. Now that Unchained is out and automatic bonus progression is on the SRD (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/other-rules/automatic-bonus-progression), it looks like a pretty sweet system. It hands out pretty much every necessary flat bonus (resistance to saves, enhancement to weapons, natural armor, etc), and since it doesn't fully replace WBL (only halving it) characters still have room to buy non-quantitative effects like flight or spell-effect items. Seems like it would definitely cut down on the christmas-tree effect without removing magic items entirely. What's your impression of the system?

Really the only issue I see with the system is that monks can't use Armor Attunement at all. Maybe let it stack with the armor bonus from Bracers of Armor? I'd consider allowing enhanced clothing to not count as armor, but I'm pretty sure there's an FAQ ruling that says that enhanced clothing definitely is armor.

Milo v3
2015-05-26, 07:50 PM
I thought that the reason why it lets you use clothing for it be specifically to allow monks to use it.

Extra Anchovies
2015-05-26, 08:16 PM
I thought that the reason why it lets you use clothing for it be specifically to allow monks to use it.

Works for wizards/sorcerers/witches/others who don't wear armor, too.

As an aside, would there be a way to implement ABP for one character in a campaign? Maybe each time they level up they must sacrifice wealth until they're back down to half WBL if they want to keep the bonuses? Could be fluffed as absorbing the power of the items, destroying the items in the process.

Milo v3
2015-05-26, 08:23 PM
My group is considering doing that, since one person in the party doesn't want to use Automatic Bonuses.

Spore
2015-05-26, 08:27 PM
I like the system but I dislike the weapon attunement. Epic weapons that forge legends are the grain of salt that makes a fantasy RPG for me (not even armor so much). Having weapons react differently on different users is interesting in one way but it decreases the identity of a legendary weapon somewhat. Also this system somewhat pushes a pretty important factor further back for me: Staves for casters. In my opinion they are a staple and they are terribly underused (because they're so damn expensive). If you houserule that you can use the weapon atunement for staves and spellcasting stuffs, I'm fine with it.

Milo v3
2015-05-26, 08:29 PM
I like the system but I dislike the weapon attunement. Epic weapons that forge legends are the grain of salt that makes a fantasy RPG for me (not even armor so much). Having weapons react differently on different users is interesting in one way but it decreases the identity of a legendary weapon somewhat. Also this system somewhat pushes a pretty important factor further back for me: Staves for casters. In my opinion they are a staple and they are terribly underused (because they're so damn expensive). If you houserule that you can use the weapon atunement for staves and spellcasting stuffs, I'm fine with it.

The only differences are the +1's though with weapons so I'm not sure what you mean. A weapon doesn't have different properties between different users.

Ediwir
2015-05-26, 10:48 PM
Love it. Granted, it does have its impacts (dispel magic's power drops, just to mention one), but it makes magic items become SO much more variable, no more grocery list for everyone...