PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Do Ectopic Form and Menu Options

CrazyYanmega
2015-05-26, 08:12 PM
Do ectopic form Astral Constructs still get menu options? I see nothing that says anything either way, and for the most part you can get the ectopic form effects via smart menu choices. So is it just burning a feat for looks, or are Ectopic Constructs incredibly powerful?

Note: Character idea is a Shaper Psion who pretty much only uses Astral Constructs. I've always wanted to try a summoner build.

The Glyphstone
2015-05-26, 08:15 PM
Nope. Taking Ectopic Form is a deliberate nerf to Astral Constructs, on top of the massive one-construct-at-a-time nerf from CPsi in general.

CrazyYanmega
2015-05-26, 08:32 PM
Nope. Taking Ectopic Form is a deliberate nerf to Astral Constructs, on top of the massive one-construct-at-a-time nerf from CPsi in general.

...Wait WHAT. Where does it say that you can only have one construct at a time?!

You know what, here's a more important question: WHY?!

Would it be okay for me to ask for a houserule to allow menu options, since I AM burning a feat?

Flickerdart
2015-05-26, 09:43 PM
...Wait WHAT. Where does it say that you can only have one construct at a time?!

Would it be okay for me to ask for a houserule to allow menu options, since I AM burning a feat?
There are three stupid things I houserule out of CPsi:

The limit on concurrent astral constructs
The ectopic form nonsense
DR on Metacreativity powers

The Glyphstone
2015-05-26, 10:35 PM

Because WoTC is dumb. As for where, it's in the reprint of Astral Construct, CPsi P79. The only way to get 2 constructs out at a time is to be a 5th level Ectopic Adept, which requires Ectopic Form, which then locks you into using specific premade constructs instead of menu-designed ones.

Rubik
2015-05-26, 10:39 PM
Because WoTC is dumb. As for where, it's in the reprint of Astral Construct, CPsi P79. The only way to get 2 constructs out at a time is to be a 5th level Ectopic Adept, which requires Ectopic Form, which then locks you into using specific premade constructs instead of menu-designed ones.Or the 3.5 constructor, which explicitly allows for multiple constructs at a time.

CrazyYanmega
2015-05-27, 02:41 PM
Because WoTC is dumb. As for where, it's in the reprint of Astral Construct, CPsi P79. The only way to get 2 constructs out at a time is to be a 5th level Ectopic Adept, which requires Ectopic Form, which then locks you into using specific premade constructs instead of menu-designed ones.

Wait, it LOCKS YOU IN?! I thought it just gave you more options!

Rubik
2015-05-27, 02:49 PM
Wait, it LOCKS YOU IN?! I thought it just gave you more options!It certainly wastes your skill points, if nothing else. Craft (Sculpting) is basically useless.

Whoever thought the class was a good idea is both an idjit and a jerk.

ZamielVanWeber
2015-05-27, 03:08 PM

It gives you more ecoptic forms. Since the feat was not clear (and I had not yet encountered the calrification) I thought that ectopic form gave options on top of menu choices. Without that very few forms are worthwhile and they all end up falling flat in the end.

CrazyYanmega
2015-05-27, 03:26 PM
That's exactly what I thought. I mean, the only good ones are Anethemic Carapace and Iridescent Serpent, and only Anethemic Carapace scales well by itself.

ZamielVanWeber
2015-05-27, 04:44 PM
Emerald Gyre starts off with a Menu B choice, but that eventually falls flat vs Boost Construct.

The Glyphstone
2015-05-27, 05:40 PM

Well, it technically does - you're not required to use the Ectopic Form feat. But if you do, it removes the menu options and you only get to pick from the pre-mades for your Form.

Psyren
2015-05-27, 07:15 PM
AFAICT nothing actually prevents you from adding menu options on top of the ectopic forms. That was almost certainly the (stupid) intent, but I don't see anything stopping you RAW, unless I missed something.

CrazyYanmega
2015-05-28, 08:25 PM
AFAICT nothing actually prevents you from adding menu options on top of the ectopic forms. That was almost certainly the (stupid) intent, but I don't see anything stopping you RAW, unless I missed something.

Yeah, that's what I thought, so where does it say that you can't use menu options on your Ectopic Constructs?