PDA

View Full Version : [Feat]One for Luck

Last_resort_33
2007-04-22, 07:53 AM
One for Luck [General]

Drogo dips to the ground and picks up a pebble. Testing it for weight, he watches the ogre thunder towards him. Instead of running, Drogo stands his ground, and raises the stone to his lips, he shuts his eyes and gives the rock a kiss. In a flash, he drops the pebble into the sling and mere feet away from the ogre, swings the sling, and looses the shot.

Prerequisite: Cha 13
Benefit: Once per encounter, you can take a move action to give yourself a (non magical) Luck bonus to attack and damage, equal to your charisma modifier. You must, in this move action, kiss the weapon you are about to attack with, or the projectile if you are using a ranged weapon.

(A sword may be kissed, as with a stone or an arrow, you may kiss his fist before throwing a punch, but you cannot kiss your finger to give yourself a bonus to a ray spell) also note any damage that may be taken from kissing poisoned/burning weaponry!

You only gain the bonus if the attack is made in the same round that the weapon is kissed, Unless you kiss the weapon before readying an action, in which case the bonus applies to the readied action.

I know that it's not gamechanging or "really cool" but I think that it's nice... please comment on game balance and other.... things...

Teilos
2007-04-22, 08:03 AM
Sounds nice, but it is completly useless at high levels. Noone will afford a move action and kiss the weapon instead of making a full attack or a charge.

Last_resort_33
2007-04-22, 08:08 AM
True... any suggestions about adjusting it for higher levels... I've been playing a lot of low level games lately, where the extra +1 or +2 is worth everything!

What about have it increase as you go up, something like

Cha* level/2 and then make it once per day?

with a good Cha (18), a level 10 character would get +20, which is more likely worth it, a level 3 character with 15 would get +3 which is also worth it. A level 20 char with 20 cha, would get +50... not bad Methinks

Pink
2007-04-22, 09:24 AM
This sounds like a luck feat (featured in complete scoundrel) and i may have a suggestion that can allow it to retain usefulness until higher levels. Have a prerequisite a luck feat, then instead of a move action, have the character give up a luck reroll to add the CHA as a swift action.

Last_resort_33
2007-04-22, 09:48 AM
.... Great, except I don't know what you're talking about... I don't have complete scoundrel... what do you think of it how it is? what suggestions can be made, asssuming that I only have core (I don't, but I want to make things easy)

Also, coming from "complete scoundrel" it would, on the surface, seem like it wasn't the sort of feat that, say, a paladin could take.

Icewalker
2007-04-22, 12:53 PM
I like it, looks pretty balanced to me. The reworking to increase by level looks like it bumps it up to a point of being a bit too good at higher levels (+50 at level 20 is still a bit much) so maybe cha * level/3 or 4? then the level 10 with 18 cha would have +12 or +8? Maybe you could make it cha * level/5 but add a second feat that lets you do it as a swift action.

IonizedChicken
2007-04-22, 01:59 PM
This sounds like a luck feat (featured in complete scoundrel) and i may have a suggestion that can allow it to retain usefulness until higher levels. Have a prerequisite a luck feat, then instead of a move action, have the character give up a luck reroll to add the CHA as a swift action.

Eh. Luck feats are terrible. Seriously, they are some of the worst feats I've ever seen. Hell, Complete Scoundrel is just terrible (except for the skill tricks. Those rock).

Still, if kissing your weapon is something you can do every day and all the time it really loses its uniqueness. It should be reserved for special occasions where you really need it. With that mind, perhaps it really should be some kind of swift action times-per-day ability, with uses per day increasing according to your character level (a la additional use per 5 HD).

doh'. For some reason I didn't notice there was a 1/encounter restriction already, despite the fact it clearly says so in the feat description. I'm just dumb.

After a little thought, I think I'd suggest making it a swift 1/encounter action but cutting the bonus by half (and making the requirement Charisma 15).

Pink
2007-04-22, 02:53 PM
Just because it wouldn't be optimized doesn't mean that it doesn't fit in with that section.

As for what it is, feats in general tend not to increase in usefulness as the character levels up, exceptions being those that concern multiple attacks.

Anyway, I like the once per encounter thing, a good limitation. A character could very well kiss their weapon at the start of one. However, it's the move action part that suffers. This essentially says at later levels that instead of doing two/three/four attacks, you're just doing one, can only take a five step, and for a bonus to attack and damage that may not be worth it.

Perhaps you could make it swift, however you could also make it a partial move action. What i mean is, sorta like how you can draw a weapon on a move. It's a move action, but it can be combined with taking a move, and possibly with drawing a weapon as well. This i think retains the function of giving a weapon a kiss for good luck before entering the fray.

Umarth
2007-04-22, 08:34 PM
I like this feat alot.

I'm going to use a slightly modified version of it in my homebrew world:

Lucky Strike [General]
You know that lucky people can make their own luck. By focusing your will you’re somewhat able to reshape reality.
Prerequisites: Cha 13, BAB +1
Benefit: As a Swift Action, you apply your cha modifier to your next and damage roll that round. After that attack you suffer -2 penalty to your charisma score for 4 hours.

Also came up an improved version:

Improved Lucky Strike [General]
Through long practice you’ve gotten even better at imposing your will in a fight.
Prerequisites: Cha 15, BAB +6
Benefit: As a Swift Action, you apply half your cha modifier, rounded down, to all your attack and damage rolls until your next turn. At the start of your next turn you suffer -2 penalty to your charisma score for 4 hours.

Keeps it a bit more usefull at all levels and is self limiting in how often you can use it.

Eldritch_Ent
2007-04-22, 09:23 PM
[SIZE=3]One for Luck [General]
but you cannot kiss your finger to give yourself a bonus to a ray spell)

Nono, you have to kiss the Ray itself!

Player- As I cast the spell I lean down and peck the ray lightly while using my feat use for the day! :smallbiggrin:
DM- Okay... :smallconfused: you get hit with your own disentegrate spell. Roll saves and damge.
Player- :smallfrown:
DM- :smallcool: But Good news, it still gets the bonus to hit and damage!
Player= :smallbiggrin: Wait.... :smalleek:

Edit: I think it's good feat, having it be your Cha mod is good, but make the kiss a free action and it's golden.

ExHunterEmerald
2007-04-22, 09:27 PM
Just give it the Luck descriptor, if you want to Scoundrelify it.
Also, your weapons' own enhancements don't affect the wielder in any way.
Cool idea, though!

Last_resort_33
2007-04-23, 11:34 AM
how about this?

One for Luck [General]

Drogo dips to the ground and picks up a pebble. Testing it for weight, he watches the ogre thunder towards him. Instead of running, Drogo stands his ground, and raises the stone to his lips, he shuts his eyes and gives the rock a kiss. In a flash, he drops the pebble into the sling and mere feet away from the ogre, swings the sling, and looses the shot.

Benefit: Once per encounter, you can take a partial move action (like drawing a weapon) to give yourself a (non magical) Luck bonus to attack and damage, equal to your charisma modifier * The number of attacks that your Base Attack Bonus would usually permit in a full round action.You must, in this partial move action, kiss the weapon you are about to attack with, or the projectile if you are using a ranged weapon.

(A sword may be kissed, as with a stone or an arrow, you may kiss his fist before throwing a punch, but you cannot kiss your finger to give yourself a bonus to a ray spell) also note any damage that may be taken from kissing poisoned/burning weaponry!

You only gain the bonus if the attack is made in the same round that the weapon is kissed, Unless you kiss the weapon before readying an action, in which case the bonus applies to the readied action.

This way, any extra attacks that you would make, are kind of "made up for"

Pink
2007-04-23, 11:41 AM
Oh, i like it, a nice way of keeping it useful in the higher levels too.

Umarth
2007-04-23, 11:57 AM
Does it count on any AOO made during that round?

Teilos
2007-04-23, 12:18 PM
Sounds nice, now. Since it is only once per encounter, it will be easier to get this partial move action (e.g. instead of a charge).

However, I am not perfectly sure, if it should improve attack and damage. If you have 4 attacks, you can give the last three up (which all had already a worse chance to hit) and with a +5 charisma (no big problem with magic items) you could get a +20 bonus on the attack and damage. Transforming this bonus back with power attack (two handed) (and possibly some other features) you get bonuses to damage in the range of 60+
That is not extreme for the damage output of a whole round. But it is quite a lot considering you needed only two feats for it and you can still move.
And I am not sure if this big attack bonus could be abused for other builds.

I would suggest you do not give more than once your charisma modifier on the attack part. It is less abusable to increase the damage bonus than the attack bonus for a single attack. So you might increase the damage bonus in return.

PS: This feat becomes more and more a "smite"-like feature. As a paladin it must realy rock to use smite evil and this at the same time.

EDIT:

Does it count on any AOO made during that round?
I hope this feat works only for a single attack. Otherwise it can become really powerfull.

Last_resort_33
2007-04-23, 02:22 PM
It only works for a single attack, and the attack must either be made in the same round, or be part of a readied action. For example, you could kiss your arrow and then nock it. If the arrow is removed from the bow, before it is fired then it no longer counts as being kissed.

You may kiss your sword you must make an attack with it in the same round unless:

You see the Troll Hunter running towards you, followed by by his band or Orcs, you dart behind the nearest tree, press your back against it, your brow dripping with sweat, kiss your sword and fearfully wait for the troll (Use feat and ready an action to attack the Troll when he comes within 5 ft of you. The effect would in that case, "keep" until you made your attack against the troll.) If an orc came round the other side of the tree first, if you chose to take an AOO, then the AOO does NOT get the Luck bonus, and neither does the attack against the Troll when it arrives.

One for Luck [General]

Benefit: Once per encounter, you can take a partial move action (like drawing a weapon) to give yourself a (non magical) Luck bonus to attack equal to your charisma modifier and a non magical luck bonus to damage, equal to your charisma modifier * The number of attacks that your Base Attack Bonus would usually permit in a full round action.You must, in this partial move action, kiss the weapon you are about to attack with, or the projectile if you are using a ranged weapon.