PDA

View Full Version : How Do I End This Campaign Right?

hirojinbrodie
2015-05-26, 09:39 PM
I have been running a campaign for a while now, and the players have reached a point I didn't think they would. They seem ready to give up. It is a kingdom killer campaign, where they are to kill a king. They succeeded, but instead of getting all they wanted they found that the battle for control of the city was more complex then they thought. Some seem even willing to just leave and let the city devour itself.
Do I just let the players say to hell with it or do I try to convince them otherwise. I am torn because I don't want to run if they don't want to pursue it. But it is also a big story with a lot left to tell. It is okay for an adventure to end because the main characters have lost the sense they can win?

jiriku
2015-05-26, 10:06 PM
There's more than one right answer to your question. Here's a possible answer.

If they want to walk away, let them. But the game doesn't stop there. After the power struggle resolves itself, they receive news that the the city is now under control of: one of the factions/a coalition of peasants/a neighboring army that took advantage of the chaos/a yuan-ti cult that was secretly orchestrating everything/a powerful wizard who got pissed off when the riots disturbed his studies. The city also has some out-of-power factions, those who lost the power struggle. They are now fleeing a purge or in hiding. Everyone wants the PCs for some reason -- either to try and execute them as kingslayers, to get revenge on them for abandoning their allies in a time of need, to beg their aid to hunt the losers/protect them from the winners, or for whatever reason du jour you wish.

The important thing is, the PCs actions (or refusal to act) have consequences, events play out however they will... and the story continues. The show always goes on.

hirojinbrodie
2015-05-26, 10:36 PM
I must say that is a fantastic suggestion. I wasn't sure what I was expecting but that really does work for the campaign. The people of the city would certainly get pissed off they left. And the other forces would want them just to keep them from meddling further or to recruit them. Thank you very much for the response.

PaucaTerrorem
2015-05-26, 10:58 PM
How do you end it? How you should end every campaign.

Rocks fall. Everyone dies.

Seto
2015-05-27, 04:31 AM
Yeah, jiriku's suggestion is good, but in case your players are really tired of playing and not merely of the current storyline, don't drag it on and do something new (if need be put the campaign on hold). To know if this is the case, ask them.

Yora
2015-05-27, 04:45 AM
But it is also a big story with a lot left to tell.
That might be the problem. It could be that it is your story, but it's not their story; a common GM mistake.

If they want to bail, it's likely because they don't see why they should get to all this trouble given how much (or how little) there is to gain for them.

Crake
2015-05-27, 04:55 AM
That might be the problem. It could be that it is your story, but it's not their story; a common GM mistake.

If they want to bail, it's likely because they don't see why they should get to all this trouble given how much (or how little) there is to gain for them.

While that can seem to be the case a cursory glance, even if the players are the driving force of the story, if they choose to finish it early, it can leave many loose ends dangling which can be suuuper depressing for a DM.

My suggestion? If they don't want to continue, epilogue it, tying up all the loose ends until you're satisfied, or continue running it from a different perspective with new characters, possibly ones trying to bring order back to the city after the previous characters sacked it, maybe even culminating in the new players finally hunting the old ones down and meting righteous justice upon them!

But find out what your players want before you take any avenues.

whisperwind1
2015-05-27, 04:55 AM
I must say that is a fantastic suggestion. I wasn't sure what I was expecting but that really does work for the campaign. The people of the city would certainly get pissed off they left. And the other forces would want them just to keep them from meddling further or to recruit them. Thank you very much for the response.

If you want to take this idea further too, its perfectly possible. Say the PCs just don't want to deal with the city or elements of that plot anymore at all, well then roll with it. Serve them up a new story that's more to their liking, perhaps include a mysterious group or individual that serves as an indirect antagonist. Down the line, the PCs start to see more of said ominous group/individual, and they slowly become a central force in the events of the plot. After a few run-ins, the PCs finally corner these foes and SURPRISE! It turns out they work for the rulers of the old city, who are trying to bump off the PCs, in case they try and murder the new leadership too. Just like that, the PCs suddenly have a compelling reason to return to the original plot, and likely care a great deal more now that the stakes are personal.

nedz
2015-05-27, 05:32 AM
If the players aren't interested in this plot line then don't play it. Either wrap up the game or take them on another journey.

Kazuel
2015-05-27, 05:44 AM
Much like every thing else, talk to them. It solves so many problems. Find out exactly what they are unhappy with. Maybe it's a simple case of not enough combat or too much. Let them tell you how to fix it.

OttoVonBigby
2015-05-27, 01:57 PM
Seconding the "epilogue" option. I have used it to good effect when (for example) class choice buyer's remorse becomes unendurable, or somebody moves out of town and the campaign can't continue. But I only go the epilogue route after talking to the players, as noted above, and for that matter getting their input to help me assemble the epilogue. I expect most players are irritated when a campaign is left hanging in limbo, same as DMs.

Maglubiyet
2015-05-27, 02:14 PM
The old standby is:

"And they lived happily ever after. The End"

jiriku
2015-05-27, 04:58 PM
The people of the city would certainly get pissed off they left. And the other forces would want them just to keep them from meddling further or to recruit them.

Yes! Exactly! When I play, I'm always coming up with out-of-the-box responses to situations, things my DM never expected. What makes him a great DM is that he imagines how the world would react to these unexpected actions, and then we embark together on a discovery of this new, changed environment.