PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Bard hombrew stuff

1Forge
2015-05-26, 11:47 PM
So I'm trying to give bards some sort of moral bonus or something, besides inspiration which is limited, I'm talking about a half-orc pulling out his bongo drums in battle to coordinate or generally inspire his buddies. (I'm doing this because in my game theirs a city called the city of music and they have tons of bards, and use music on the battlefield to coordinate efforts, inspire ally's, and annoy or disrupt enemy spell casters)

(I'm currently giving advantage to one stat when a group of at least 5 people preform together for their standard actions. Or they can impose disadvantage on one enemy's stat)

Whats your guy's opinion is this OP, or is it fine. i couldn't find anything like it in the PHB besides inspiration which isn't the same.

Ninja_Prawn
2015-05-27, 12:57 AM
How about using group performances to cast spells they wouldn't be able to cast individually, the way hag covens from the MM work?

Also, refluff Compelled Duel into a dance-off and make it a bard spell in this city.

Let Valour Bards use bardic inspiration (from another Valour Bard) to gain an ability for a turn, like: choose from Cunning Action, Second Wind, Fancy Footwork or Whirlwind Attack.

1Forge
2015-05-27, 01:05 AM
How about using group performances to cast spells they wouldn't be able to cast individually, the way hag covens from the MM work?

Also, refluff Compelled Duel into a dance-off and make it a bard spell in this city.

First off whats MM? never mind monster Manuel got it.
second great idea it would be like a ritual casting with sheet music as the scrolls.(It fits my worlds background with bards too)
And third the compelled duel thing is hilarious I am so implementing that. When two bards meet they can initiate a Gentelmens contest whether it be dance off, friendly sparring, or a ballad battle the other must accept or risk losing status in the bardic circles (not that bards need a reason to have a dance off)

Ashrym
2015-05-27, 01:10 AM
The safest way of not breaking things is with a new subclass college of the arts or something.

3rd -- learns bless as a bard spell. can use a bonus action to spend 1 superiority die and force a concentration check applying the roll as a penalty, gains the actor feat

6th -- gain 2 maneuvers from the battlemaster list. These maneuvers can only be used by characters with a bardic inspiration die, treating that as the superiority die

14th -- gain one additional maneuver. Can provide bardic inspiration dice to multiple targets using the same bonus action.

This follows existing game mechanics without going too far, imo. A bard that grants maneuvers seems like the easiest way to simulate helping direct allies without breaking things too much.

1Forge
2015-05-27, 08:46 PM
I dont know just using psudeo ritual rulings for the preformance seems fair to me. This also helps considering most of the citys bards arn't actually fighting (most arn't militia) this allows them to help without directily being in harms way.