PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Inexperienced Player Drowned in Levels and Gold; Seeks Help

Alagos
2015-05-27, 01:48 AM
Hello All,

So I'm rejoining a campaign that has progressed significantly while I was occupied with school. I dropped out at 3rd level and now they're all at 9th. The problem arising from this is that I've never played a character beyond 5th level before. And now I have WBL of 46000gp to spend on whatever I desire. Sort of like a kid who was given a Ferrari for Christmas, without knowing how to drive. So, I've come to the inexhaustible well of knowledge that is the Playground to ask for help, both with buying items and with polishing my build from 9th level onwards.

First of all, its a very homebrew campaign. A list of all the houserules is found in this link (https://lands-unknown.obsidianportal.com/wikis/house-rules).
The DM has not held anything back, hence the long list of concessions to our builds and feats. Only one out of 5 or 6 original characters is still alive. He's a firm believer of giving us all the toys we need to build the character concepts we want, and then going to town with the challenges.

All official Pathfinder Sources, as well as 3rd party with DM discretion. So far, he's allowed all of Path of War, which my character is based off of.

Party consists of:
Brawler
Psion/Wizard
Inquisitor
Arcanist

Builds of party members is unknown, except maybe the inquisitor. I think he was running an intimidate build last I checked.

My build is as follows:

MoMS Monk 1 / Lore Warden Fighter 1 / Soul Hunter Stalker 7.

Shadowdancer 4 is gestalted in from Level 6 onwards (DM's little experiment with PrCs being gestalted in as we progress).

Base Stats at level 9:
20 STR
18 DEX
16 CON
17 WIS
12 INT
8 CHA

Feats: (* is free)
*Combat Expertise
*Power Attack
*Weapon Finesse
*Point Blank Shot
*Deadly Aim
*Exotic Proficiency: Fauchaud

1-Improved Maneuvers (Imp. Trip, Disarm, Feint, etc. Homebrew bundled feat)
1-Combat Reflexes (flaw)
1-Fury's Fall (flaw)
2-Panther Style
3-Panther Claw
3-Dodge/Mobility (Homebrew bundled feat)
5-Panther Parry
7-Extra Stalker Art: Murderous Insight (roll twice for all attacks for WIS mod rounds, take higher roll, costs 1 ki point)
9-Greater Trip

Maneuvers focused on Veiled Moon, Thrashing Dragon, and Broken Blade. Very focused on mobility and teleportation, hard hitting single strikes, and lots of attacks per round via AoOs from tripping and Panther Style. Also focused on stealth, with the gestalt in Shadowdancer granting me HiPs by level 6. Wielding a Keen Fauchaud, stacking with a Stalker art granting a +1 to crit range, nets me a 14-20 range at level 9. With the amount of attacks I'll be doing, Murderous Insight buff running every major fight, and the Stalker's ability to add WIS mod to confirm crits, I'll be critting very very often.

Party roll would be scout and spy, with high stealth, perception, soon-to-be at-will teleportation, and the ability to become incorporeal for rounds on and off with a maneuver. My shadow would provide very ideal reconnaissance. There would be no shortage of magic in the party, so I shouldn't have to worry about that end of it.

An ideal round would have me activate a boost to my damage, use my 30ft of movement to trigger as many Panther Parry attacks as possible, tripping as I go, and then use a standard action strike. After which I'd hopefully be in a good position to take advantage of enemies standing up from prone for more AoOs. Hide in Plain Sight would keep me out of immediate danger after attacking unless I fail my stealth check or if the enemies have tremorsense or blindsense, etc. My shadow would provide flanking for harder enemies.

So, my question are:

1) Starting with zero possessions, what would you buy this character with 46000gp? My only thing on the wishlist so far is that Keen Fauchaud. I'm at a loss after that point.

2) Where would you go with this build after this point, feat wise? I'm thinking the critical feat line, but due to my lower BAB, that doesn't come online until at least 13th level and beyond. My maneuvers can't really improve beyond Greater Trip.

3) For my Rogue Talent at Shadowdancer 3, I'm wanting to choose Ninja Trick: Shadow Clone, since I have a ki pool and it is a very potent defensive buff. However, it keys off of my Ninja's level as the caster level for the spell Mirror Image. Would I consider my Shadowdancer level to be my Ninja level in this case? Or would it default to Level 1?

4) Any major flaws in the build concept? As I said, I've never played a campaign beyond 5th level before, so any insight from more experienced players would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

Nibbens
2015-05-27, 01:42 PM
1) Starting with zero possessions, what would you buy this character with 46000gp? My only thing on the wishlist so far is that Keen Fauchaud. I'm at a loss after that point.

If you can swing the cash for it after your weapon - 25K spent on a +5 cloak of resistance is 25K very well spent. I can't tell you how many times where just one more point in ref of fort would have stopped horrible things from happening, let alone five. lol.

I'd even make the case for delaying getting the weapon in favor of the cloak if you didn't have enough cash for both.

Alagos
2015-05-28, 01:37 AM
I was just talking with my DM and he said that he's progressing saves/magical bonuses to weapons and armor the same as attributes, every four levels or so. So right now I have an effective +2 cloak of resistance without spending a dime. I would have to buy at least a +3 or higher in order for it to have any effect (the effects don't stack unfortunately). That's a lot of gold for maybe +2 or +3 to my saves. Sorry I didn't clarify that earlier.

I've been looking around at other posts, and Celestial Armor seems like a very good investment for classes with only light armor proficiency (I gave up med and heavy when I took the Lore Warden archetype). Is it worth the cost?

How about attribute increasing items? Any other vital items that a mid-level player would want?