PDA

View Full Version : Prestidigitation

Baskineli
2007-04-22, 09:49 AM
Could one using Prestidigitation light a highly flammable material?

If yes, from what distance? Close? 10 feet? 30 feet?

What other good uses of Prestidigitation you know?

Kel_Arath
2007-04-22, 09:56 AM
Yes you can, but its like half a foot for the range. For other uses check out Tome and Blood, it mostly consist of changing color, taste, temperature, cleaning, soiling etc.

Hario
2007-04-22, 09:56 AM
its not under the uses of prestidigitation, so by RAW no, but if your DM says that its ok for a 0 level spell to possible destroy a bunch of things than they can homebrew the rule. I'm pretty sure prestidigitation cannot create any actual fire, what you want is to buy a tindertwig and use that to blow up materials and they aren't even expencive. Best combo ever my party uses, web then have the rogue throw a tinder twin at the area.

Dhavaer
2007-04-22, 05:07 PM
Yes. Look here (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20010707) for a more thorough description of the effects of prestdigitation.

the_tick_rules
2007-04-22, 06:16 PM
so can the wizard double as the parties chef and maid and taylor then?

Douglas
2007-04-22, 06:18 PM
If he wants to, yes.

clarkvalentine
2007-04-22, 06:24 PM
A mage I played was also a storyteller; he used prestidigitation to add some special effects to his tales. The DM allowed it, but only on the condition that none of the minor illusions and ghost sound type effects he replicated with it would ever be mistaken for real.

Yahzi
2007-04-22, 06:31 PM
If he wants to, yes.
Oh ya... just imagine the party asking V to do some tailoring for them...

:smallbiggrin:

martyboy74
2007-04-22, 07:11 PM
Oh ya... just imagine the party asking V to do some tailoring for them...

:smallbiggrin:
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0220.html

Mewtarthio
2007-04-22, 09:08 PM
so can the wizard double as the parties chef and maid and taylor then?

I imagine the Bard casting that, actually.

Indon
2007-04-22, 09:17 PM
Yes. Look here (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20010707) for a more thorough description of the effects of prestdigitation.

I'd wondered if that spell could duplicate Flamefinger. Now I know.

Jannex
2007-04-23, 10:19 PM
In a game I ran once, my PCs came up with a Closet of Prestidigitation wondrous item that served as a shower, laundry, and styling salon for their pirate ship. It was quite clever, I thought.

asqwasqw
2007-04-23, 10:28 PM
A magic utensil that warms all my food to the perfect temperature and changes the flavor to that of the wielder's choice... yummy.

Yahzi
2007-04-23, 11:13 PM
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0220.html
Hehe, that's a good one.

Koga
2007-04-23, 11:15 PM
Would much rather use prestigation in a small room with royalty and claim that the divine caster passed flautelance in the their presence.

That'll teach'em to be so broken... Tank a night in prison sucker!

brian c
2007-04-23, 11:30 PM
Would much rather use prestigation in a small room with royalty and claim that the divine caster passed flautelance in the their presence.

That'll teach'em to be so broken... Tank a night in prison sucker!

Arcane casters mad at divine casters for being too powerful... that's kinda the pot calling the kettle black, dontcha think?

Duskwither
2007-04-24, 01:59 AM
Prestidigitation is the most awesome spell ever. Heck, it tops Wish.

Not much can do that.

Dhavaer
2007-04-24, 02:01 AM

Not much can do that.

This is why Hexblades are now the most awesome class ever. Because now they get it at will, as a spell-like. Very, very nice.
They could still use some more spell slots, a good Fort save and full caster level, though.

Duskwither
2007-04-24, 02:29 AM
This is why Hexblades are now the most awesome class ever. Because now they get it at will, as a spell-like. Very, very nice.
They could still use some more spell slots, a good Fort save and full caster level, though.

I saw that article and had a nerdgasm. Before, I only wanted to play that class for Dragon Disciple, which is hardly worth it to begin with. That small thing made the bugger all worth it.

The changes you suggest I've already done for my house-ruling. :smallcool:

Atrelegis
2007-04-24, 05:52 AM

Not much can do that.

Uh, how does it do that exactly?

But wish kind of sucks, really. The only way you can actually enjoy it is if your DM is either a complete idiot or too tired to try to find a loophole in your request...

Dhavaer
2007-04-24, 05:55 AM
Uh, how does it do that exactly?

No XP component, only takes up a cantrip slot, and it lasts for an hour. Pretty damn good.

Yuki Akuma
2007-04-24, 05:57 AM
But wish kind of sucks, really. The only way you can actually enjoy it is if your DM is either a complete idiot or too tired to try to find a loophole in your request...

Or if you actually play by the rules and follow the guidelines in the book..

Prestidigitation is the reason gnomes are the cleanest and coolest race ever.

They're also better chefs than halflings.

Darius Silverbo
2007-04-24, 06:52 AM
I for one was never a sticker for RAW when it comes too adding flavor to a game for humor or silly. I have allowed the spell to make someone think they was purple for 20 minutes (real time) during a more "social" event in game. We all got the laugh and it was the best spell of the night.

bedablachem
2007-04-24, 09:44 AM
No XP component, only takes up a cantrip slot, and it lasts for an hour. Pretty damn good.Yep, as long as you use your wishes to sweep the floor :P