PDA

View Full Version : Optimization High Wizard AC and Touch AC

Shnigda
2015-05-27, 05:19 AM
Hey guys,
I'm trying to build a very challenging wizard BBEG, but have run into trouble with AC and touch AC (trying to deal with spells from the party wizard and attacks from the BSF...)
I have seen that it is possible to get high AC and touch AC at around level 7 as a wizard (I previously thought the touch AC impossible to get high without Polymorph...)
I was wondering if anyone could tell me the tricks (any level of cheese) to get a high AC and touch AC without compromising spell success rate (i.e not wearing armour with spell failure)
Any help is much appreciated!

Venger
2015-05-27, 05:24 AM
Hey guys,
I'm trying to build a very challenging wizard BBEG, but have run into trouble with AC and touch AC (trying to deal with spells from the party wizard and attacks from the BSF...)
I have seen that it is possible to get high AC and touch AC at around level 7 as a wizard (I previously thought the touch AC impossible to get high without Polymorph...)
I was wondering if anyone could tell me the tricks (any level of cheese) to get a high AC and touch AC without compromising spell success rate (i.e not wearing armour with spell failure)
Any help is much appreciated!

ray deflection makes any rays automatically miss, so ranged touch is completely irrelevant

what level are you building for? I assume it's at least 7.

as always,the handbook (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=3962.0) is a pretty good place to start. supplement here (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=331.0)

let me know how that grabs you and we can go from there.

defiantdan
2015-05-27, 05:34 AM
Useful Defensive Spells: Greater Mirror image; Friendly fire; ray deflection; Greater Mage Armor; Invisibility; Heart of X line; Alter Self; Polymorph

With proper use of BC like fogs and tentacles you won't really need to worry to much about AC. Miss Chance and plain old just not being there (abrupt Jaunt ACF) are better than AC and require fewer recources.

Aim to disable and split the part up with walls as well, then you can mop up as a hydra. Or if there is room to move a flying hydra :)

GoodbyeSoberDay
2015-05-27, 08:41 AM
Wizard with the Otherworldly feat (or a full planetouched race). Polymorph into an outsider with high dex and natural armor. Also have Scintillating Scales up to convert NA into touch AC.
Level 7: Avoral if outsider, Annis Hag if not.
Level 8: Firre if outsider, still Annis Hag if not.
Level 9: Cave Troll is actually tempting either way for the melee-in-a-pinch, but I could see sticking with a Firre for a caster type. Also, use Draconic Polymorph instead at this point.

Greater Mage Armor gives +6 AC for what amounts to pocket change to a BBEG, so you don't need armor. Given the E in BBEG this is your best bet for long term armor-like AC bonus.

If you want to take it further you'll probably end up persisting spells. The most straightforward way to do this is go Wizard 5/Incantatrix 3, optimize spellcraft, and then take all those delicious personal-range buffs that add to AC (such as Draconic Polymorph and Scintillating Scales, but also including basics like Shield) and make them last all day. Not to mention goodies like [Suffer the Flesh, Greater Invisibility, Swift Fly, Friendly Fire and Greater Blinking. If you go this route invest in anti-dispel measures such as a high caster level, a ring of spell battle, Battlemagic Perception, and so on.

Shnigda
2015-05-27, 08:57 AM
ray deflection makes any rays automatically miss, so ranged touch is completely irrelevant

what level are you building for? I assume it's at least 7.

as always,the handbook (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=3962.0) is a pretty good place to start. supplement here (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=331.0)

let me know how that grabs you and we can go from there.

Thanks for those links, I hadn't seen them before, I'm sure they'll be helpful. (That sounds really sarcastic in my head, but I don't mean to be)

And thanks for the other tips, never quite been sure what are the good defence spells... Some look good and then turn out to be awful :P

Venger
2015-05-27, 04:00 PM
Thanks for those links, I hadn't seen them before, I'm sure they'll be helpful. (That sounds really sarcastic in my head, but I don't mean to be)

And thanks for the other tips, never quite been sure what are the good defence spells... Some look good and then turn out to be awful :P

you're welcome. no problem, when it doubt, it's always a good idea to clarify.

well, rather than try to cover every base, why don't you tell us about your party's breakdown and we can help you defend against those.

do you need your boss to trump an ubercharger? a mailman? other things? the more we know the better advice we can give

Darkweave31
2015-05-27, 05:21 PM
At level 7, polymorph or alter self into high natural armor form and cast scintillating scales.

For added defense mirror image will serve you well

Ellowryn
2015-05-27, 06:45 PM
Use Major Image + Ventriloquism to make it seem like you are someplace else (preferably flying or otherwise out of reach) while under the effect of Greater Invisibility and then use Invisible Spell + Silent spell to rain death on them while they waste spells/actions chasing the image.

Venger
2015-05-27, 07:04 PM
Use Major Image + Ventriloquism to make it seem like you are someplace else (preferably flying or otherwise out of reach) while under the effect of Greater Invisibility and then use Invisible Spell + Silent spell to rain death on them while they waste spells/actions chasing the image.

or you could just use mislead (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/mislead.htm) to do all that stuff.

Ellowryn
2015-05-27, 07:27 PM
or you could just use mislead (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/mislead.htm) to do all that stuff.

Thats a very useful spell, unfortunately it won't be available at level 7.

Venger
2015-05-27, 08:33 PM
Thats a very useful spell, unfortunately it won't be available at level 7.

ok, so the guy you're buiding is level 7. there's always scrolls.

dextercorvia
2015-05-27, 08:42 PM
Bite of the Wererat and Greater Mirror Image will help a lot.