PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Dual Wield Fixing Feat

Grynning
2015-05-27, 10:00 AM
So, long story short, we have a player in our game who is playing a Dual-Wielding Champion Fighter, and as we've hit higher levels, their damage is falling off. The DM asked if there were any feats they could take to boost it, and we couldn't find any, so he said he was open to a homebrew feat. I didn't find any on the forum here that were just a simple damage boost, so I just made one, just want opinions on it:

Dual Weapon Mastery

When you take the Attack action and make additional attacks, you may make each attack with any weapon you are holding.
If you hit a creature with two different weapons consecutively on your turn, the second weapon attack does an additional die of damage.
When you make an Opportunity attack, you may attack the creature that provoked the attack with each weapon you have readied.

DracoKnight
2015-05-27, 01:47 PM
Doesn't seem too OP. I would also give it a + to hit, or maybe a +1 to AC like Dual Wielding does, or make Dual Wielding a prerequisite for this feat.

Grynning
2015-05-27, 01:53 PM
Doesn't seem too OP. I would also give it a + to hit, or maybe a +1 to AC like Dual Wielding does, or make Dual Wielding a prerequisite for this feat.

Yeah...the character in our game taking it already has dual wielding, so that's not an issue, but if it was a general feat I don't think it would matter too much if you took the original feat or not. Taking both makes you the best at dual wielding, but the two feats do different enough things that I think some characters (like rogues) might want this but not the other version.
I didn't want to tie a +to hit bonus to it because I don't think any other feats do that, and it would make the whole one/two punch mechanic just inherently better.

Inchoroi
2015-05-27, 11:02 PM
Yeah, stay away from bonuses like that. I would need to play test this before I give an opinion, though. It's pretty close... Assuming I'm reading it correctly.

In fact, I don't think I am....

Edit: the first part I'm not getting... Maybe I'm just too tired.

Grynning
2015-05-28, 12:27 AM
Yeah, stay away from bonuses like that. I would need to play test this before I give an opinion, though. It's pretty close... Assuming I'm reading it correctly.

In fact, I don't think I am....

Edit: the first part I'm not getting... Maybe I'm just too tired.

The first clause is so you can set up the "chain" for the second part using your normal attacks. RAW (at least the way we've been reading it at our table, we could be wrong), you can only attack with your main hand weapon for your normal attack action, so extra attacks are all with it, and only bonus action attack is with your off hand.

Starcofski
2015-05-28, 12:38 AM
I would recommend re-wording the second line. As written, you can chain that to basically double your weapon damage dice for every attack other than the first.

I think you can reword the first line to read more like:
"When you take the Attack action, you may attack with any weapon you are wielding."
This way, even with one attack, you can open with your offhand, then follow up to trigger line two with your main hand using the bonus action.

Lastly, don't see how the third line is all that relevant; or the wording on it is a little too confusing.

sengmeng
2015-05-28, 12:39 PM
This is essentially two weapon rend, isn't it? Was that an official feat, and does he have it?

Grynning
2015-05-28, 01:02 PM
Two weapon rend was a feat in 3rd edition, there is no equivalent in 5th. This is meant to be a replacement for it; I removed the "rend" bit so it makes sense with all types of weapons.

@Starcofski the 3rd line is meant to mean you can make two attacks when you make an AoO, one with each weapon. I will re-word it in a bit.

Ziegander
2015-05-28, 03:28 PM
You actually can make your normal attacks with either weapons you just can't make that extra attack without wielding a second weapon and the bonus action attack does have to be with your off-hand weapon.

Grynning
2015-05-28, 06:32 PM
Ok, revised version, first clause deleted since it seems to be part of the rules anyways:

Dual Weapon Mastery

If you hit the same creature with two different weapons consecutively on your turn, the second weapon attack does an additional die of damage.
When you make an Opportunity attack while wielding two weapons, you may make an attack with each weapon against the creature that provoked.

Does that make more sense?

DracoKnight
2015-05-28, 07:39 PM
Ok, revised version, first clause deleted since it seems to be part of the rules anyways:

Dual Weapon Mastery

If you hit the same creature with two different weapons consecutively on your turn, the second weapon attack does an additional die of damage.
When you make an Opportunity attack while wielding two weapons, you may make an attack with each weapon against the creature that provoked.

Does that make more sense?

I almost thought that the opportunity attack part of the feature would be OP, but then I remembered the reason you're making this Feat. I like the way it is now. I will probably use this at my table :)