PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Freedom of Movement Countering

Draco_Lord
2015-05-27, 10:39 AM
So, I have created a character who does some grappling, not all the time, but often enough. And my DM has, and most likely will continue, giving a number of the human characters we fight, freedom of movement rings. Now, I do have one counter, Sundering, but it is normally about a 1-2 turn action, and I would prefer to not have to do that every time, or have to check if it is needed. So I was wondering if there were other ways.

So besides Anti-Magic fields, is there some spell or action that will let me counter freedom of movement? Or am I stuck cutting off hands every time we fight something with rings?

Seerow
2015-05-27, 10:46 AM
Wait what level are you guys playing at?

Because if the DM is randomly giving every humanoid you fight rings of freedom of movement to shut you down.... while yes that's super annoying, I'd go seeking out more humanoids to fight anyway. Because that's 40k gold a pop. That's not an insignificant amount of wealth even for high level characters. So yes, let them keep getting their rings.

Draco_Lord
2015-05-27, 10:49 AM
Level 20. It is turning into a high level campaign, so we are going beyond that.

And... that is actually a good point. Hmm... did not think about taking them for value, I took one, and then ignored the rest. I guess I should just continue removing hands, stopping by a town, and going from there.

Geddy2112
2015-05-27, 10:55 AM
There is a specific monk archtype that grapples and can spend ki points to suppress freedom of movement. I am not sure what class you are, but you could retrain to be a tetori monk or perhaps get this as a feat/other ability.

"At 9th level, a tetori can spend 1 point from his ki pool to suppress his opponents’ freedom of movement and magical bonuses to Escape Artist or on checks to escape a grapple. "

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/monk/archetypes/paizo---monk-archetypes/tetori

Uncle Pine
2015-05-27, 10:58 AM
What level is your party? Sundering rings worth 40.000 gp each is something every adventurer will regret the next time he goes shopping. Especially if you'd usually not encounter 40.000 gp rings at your level, as it's most likely.
Since grappling isn't your main focus, I'd just enjoy the fact that my DM is literally throwing humongous piles of gold at me trying to screw with my character concept and equip myself accordingly. Kill a couple of humanoids, buy yourself a +5 weapon, kill some more, buy a +5 armor and so on, all while doing some grapple checks once in a while so that your DM doesn't stop to hand you free magic items.
Also, have your party's caster dispel the rings. It's faster than sundering them and you still get to loot the rings. If he refuses, loot a ring and buy a 3rd level pearl of power to convince him.

EDIT: Also remember that even at 20th level, if most humanoid enemies have a 40.000 gp ring they'll have worse weapons and armors because they had to subtract the ring's price from their total wealth. And if they didn't... Free loot! (See above)

Draco_Lord
2015-05-27, 11:01 AM
Level 20. Barbarian. Rest of the Party is Level twenty.

Just upsetting, when I got Body Bludgeon to grab people, and hit them against other things, and I need to do set up, and ends pretty quickly with the guys dying.

It wasnt so bad, just every character with a name. But I like the plan of just looting and taking full advantage, it will certainly make things better for me in the long run.

Uncle Pine
2015-05-27, 11:05 AM
It wasnt so bad, just every character with a name. But I like the plan of just looting and taking full advantage, it will certainly make things better for me in the long run.

Then you should clearly start every encounter politely asking your opponents their name, "so that you'll know what to write on their gravestones".

Kudaku
2015-05-27, 11:15 AM
After a certain point some of the maneuver options lose a lot of their luster because there are (relatively) cheap and affordable ways to become immune to them - blindsight v blindness effects, flying v trip, FoM v grappling. With that said, you're level 20. You can solve just about any problem by throwing money and magic at it.

Get a headband of Intelligence (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/wondrous-items/wondrous-items/h-l/headband-of-vast-intelligence) +2. They're 4k each. Make sure it grants ranks in Use Magic Device. Unfortunately you'll need to wear this continuously to get the skill ranks. Alternately you could add a +2 INT modifier to any other headband you're wearing for a nominal cost.
Get a Circlet of Persuasion (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/wondrous-items/wondrous-items/c-d/circlet-of-persuasion). They cost 4500 GP.
Get a Wand Key Ring (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/wondrous-items/wondrous-items/r-z/wand-key-ring). They cost 3k. Make sure the ring is attuned to Spellbane.
Buy some scrolls of Spellbane (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/s/aroden-s-spellbane). They'll be about 4k each.

While wearing the headband, the circlet and the ring, you now have a UMD bonus of about +33 to activate a Spellbane scroll. The DC to use a scroll of spellbane is 37. Throw on a Greater Heroism and you can't fail.

Spellbane allows you to pick X amount of spells that are affected by a selective anti-magic field whenever you close in. Pick Freedom of Movement as one of the spells negated by Spellbane.

Each morning you 'don your robe and wizard hat', and cast Spellbane. For the next 17 hours, Spellbane will suppress Freedom of Movement spells that comes within 10 feet of you.