PDA

View Full Version : LCD Gaming Table

M@XIM
2015-05-27, 10:46 AM
I'm looking for people who've built LCD Gaming tables or has experience with them. My group was previously considering a projector, but with the price of lcd/led tvs being what they are and the overall benefits (no bulbs to replace regularly , no restrictions on lighting) we're planning on creating a gaming table with a 40" tv. If you've done this before, any insight you can add is appreciated.

Specific use questions:

Any specs to aim for? We'll primarily be using Roll20 to display Maps and to provide an interactive gaming surface. I'm concerned about what maps will looks like when I blow them up. I know this is mostly the quality of the map, but I'm sure a high res, high refresh display is better.

Any model recommendations?
Other than Roll20, any software setup that would work good alongside this?

I'm thinking a minimalist approach would be that I can run the player view and DM view from one system. I think in the long run, it'd be more ideal to have a separate system for tv. Then I could have a wireless mouse for those who don't have laptops to control their tokens. If I run it off the same system, sharing a mouse could be annoying.

LibraryOgre
2015-05-27, 11:03 AM
I would head over to the Kenzerco forums (www.kenzerco.com/forums/) and chase down Jolly Blackburn. He's done a lot with LCD gaming tables and likes to share information.

And check out Hackmaster while you're there, 'cause it's awesome.

Flickerdart
2015-05-27, 01:20 PM
For a local/LAN session, I'd recommend Maptool since the worst thing about it (setup/connecting) is not a problem when everyone's on the same network.

As for maps, don't worry about it - at that close up, even a 4K panel will look terrible. Just get a 1080p TV and don't sweat it. Refresh rate won't make a lick of difference since your tokens don't need to move in bleeding edge 144Hz. Also I strongly recommend having any text on personal client screens because when blown up to 40 inches, you're going to be getting either spoon-sized letters or approximately 7 pixels per glyph.