PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Combat Scabbard Rogue

Xuldarinar
2015-05-27, 11:25 AM
How would you approach a rogue, of the unchained verity, specializing in using the combat scabbard as opposed to a more traditional weapon? Would it be a good idea? What would make a thing viable, if not thrive?

Psyren
2015-05-27, 11:59 AM
Do you mean the sharpened one (slashing, not improvised) or the regular one (bludgeoning, improvised?) I'd use the former - you avoid improvised weapon penalties that way, plus you also get to apply Effortless Lace and make it finessable, getting you Dex to damage either via Finesse Training or Slashing Grace. The former can also be used with the same equipment tricks as the latter (I assume that's why you wanted this weapon in the first place) - helpful ones include Hurl Scabbard, Find Hidden and Grab Purchase. Hurl Scabbard is nice because you can charge one foe while tossing your scabbard at another, and if they are both flat-footed (e.g. the first round) you will land sneak attack damage on both.

Xuldarinar
2015-05-27, 12:05 PM
Well, I was thinking the non-sharpened one, going down the route of utilizing catch off guard. Improved catch off-guard even, which would certainly open up opportunities to utilize sneak attack. I never heard of effortless lace before, if you don't sharpen the combat scabbard does it still qualify? Can you take finesses training with it, sharpened or not, then? Of course, the tricks are also a major draw towards it, whether it is sharpened or not.

Psyren
2015-05-27, 12:10 PM
No - the non-sharpened one does bludgeoning damage, making it ineligible for Effortless Lace, and therefore ineligible for Weapon Finesse, and therefore ineligible for the rogue's Finesse Training. This causes you to lose Dex to damage. I don't consider the improvised weapon feats a good trade-off for that, because they only function against unarmed foes (making them pointless in the majority of combats.) Note that "Improved Catch-Off Guard" is third-party, not Paizo material.

Only the sharpened one can qualify for Finesse Training, and even then, only if you have Effortless Lace.

Xuldarinar
2015-05-27, 12:25 PM
Disappointing, but a stupid question on my part, had I thought a few seconds longer on that I would have had that answer. Alright.

Considering the nature of some of the tricks, would getting a sharpened combat scabbard with the returning property be a wise investment? I'd ask on duel wielding but I think the answer is ultimately, yes.