PDA

View Full Version : [IC, PDQ] Grown Up Scooby Problems

Meriss
2015-05-27, 12:03 PM
Friday May 2, 2014

It's the end of another long week. At this point you just want to put your feet up and rest. Maybe just have a drink.

Luckily someone else ordered your favorite takeout. Sadly they put it on the one credit card that was almost paid off. But that's a problem for another night. As you eat, you notice the shadows growing longer.

You could almost dismiss the shadows as leftovers from the long hard winter. But as you consider the shadows you recall that people have been noticing some strange things.

Not just the usual kids and teenagers either. But adults too. People you'd never thought capable of superstition are looking for horseshoes over the door. Salt on the windowsill.

There are howls in the night, and not just the usual coyotes. There are lights and sounds where there should be none.

Something strange is happening in your little city. What do you want to do about it?

wizuriel
2015-05-29, 02:36 PM
Damn kids Claude grumbles as he gets up. He though he has heard the rumours, Claude is going to hope and assume it is just some kids out playing some kind of prank. Lord knows he use to do that sometimes when he was young. The thought brings a smile to his face as he wanders over to check the door and windows to make sure they are properly locked, grumbling the entire time mainly to generate a little noise and ward off the strange sounds from outside.

Lacco
2015-06-01, 06:58 AM
How fast a man can get used to views like these... Martin thought, looking out of his window.

Cigarette in his hand, he stood, motionless, enjoying the view. The smoke hung in the air, twisting and changing the view - blurring it. The setting sun slowly disappeared and the shadows became uncomfortably dark.

He closed the shutters and turned away. He noticed the smoke in his hand has became only a stub while he watched the sunset. He buried it into the ashtray. Another small gravestone. He chuckled at the thought, trying to overcome the nostalgia which washed over him by dark humour. For a moment he lost himself in the thoughts of his current life.

He liked the little office, the easy small-town jobs. He liked the adjoining apartment, the small bed, liquor cabinet and the view of the lake. And yet there was something hanging in the air. Something deep under the surface. Something that made you think of the feeling you had as a kid, looking into a closet, waiting for something to look back at you from the darkness. Waiting for the darkness to blink back at you.

He didn't want to think about the back room and its contents. Not yet.

He glanced over the table. Noticed the newspaper clippings organized by his secretary. Very neat, arranged according to the possible paycheck.

It was the end of the week. She left two hours ago, wished him a nice weekend. Asked him to get some well-earned R&R. There is no rest for the wicked. Let's get back to work.

He sat at the table and lit another cigarette.

Meriss
2015-06-02, 07:23 AM
Claude

As you make your way through the quieting house you discover your wife sitting in her den office. She's muttering to herself. Finally she throws the paper she was reading onto her ottoman.

"Garbage." She states angrily. "Oh no, you're not getting off the hook for this mess either! How long were you holed up in your office with that little journalist tramp? Two hours? Three? What, did she forget her bra? If you want out, all you have to do is ask me!"

You could almost swear her normally calm grey eyes flash red for a second.

"And the worst part? Five paragraphs that basically say 'We're a small office for a small city, but we'll try to be like the big boys!' And not even above the fold. Nope! Right below this ridiculous article about Old Smythe Manor. I swear, people in this stupid town think that some long lost heir to that creepy old place is going to ride in on a white horse and fix everything."

Martin

As you comb through your files, with the occasional peek online to verify. You begin to notice a pattern. A large number of reports are near or around the North Hill neighbourhood. Specifically the closer you get to Old Smythe Manor the stranger things get. But Archie Smythe died five years ago, didn't he? Yes, a quick look at the Templar's online archives confirms that. Then, what's going on?

Lacco
2015-06-02, 08:16 AM
As you comb through your files, with the occasional peek online to verify. You begin to notice a pattern. A large number of reports are near or around the North Hill neighbourhood. Specifically the closer you get to Old Smythe Manor the stranger things get. But Archie Smythe died five years ago, didn't he? Yes, a quick look at the Templar's online archives confirm that. Then, what's going on?

North Hill. he thought, Old families, old houses, even older secrets. Too wealthy for this kind of town. And Smythe... he never heard anything good about him.

He rummaged through his drawers, putting the findings on the desk. His flashlight, his camera, the large keychain with assorted kinds of keys, a notebook...

...and his Colt 1911. The handle was etched with signs from cabbalah, the barrel decorated with alchemist symbols.

He stored the items into his coat, slid the pistol into a underarm holster.

Maybe it was just paranoia. Just an old house in old neighborhood. he thought as he left the building. He turned towards the North Hill, focusing on the dark spot without lights that was Old Smythe Manor - he tried to pierce the darkness surrounding it. And maybe not. Maybe it is time to do some traditional legwork since I am the traditional gumshoe detective now.

He lit a new cigar with his lighter. For a moment he was blinded by the light from the flame and the darkness surrounded him. He shivered and decided to visit someone who could maybe help - maybe only tell him something more about Smythe. After all, he moved to town few months ago, while his high school lab partner Claude lived here longer. And that wife of his lived here for her whole life...

Martin wrapped himself in his coat and decided to pay him a visit.

wizuriel
2015-06-03, 03:15 PM
Aww hunny it was only like 45min and you know she can't compete against you. Claude will walk up to his wife and pick her up and engulf her in a hug until she calms down. Hunny you know we're wayyy above the fold, in fact from where we're standing the fold is more a dot, somewhere in the distance. Thiough you have to admit a heir coming for the Old Smythe Manor is pretty big, that place has been like that as long as I can remember.

Meriss
2015-06-03, 08:54 PM
Martin

You drive carefully through slowly dimming neighbourhoods as street lights begin to flicker on or in certain cases, don't. The occasional flash of red or yellow eyes in the dark is enough to keep one hand very close to your trusty sidearm.

You slowly pull up to the Hunter residence and make your way to the door before knocking crisply on the front door.

Claude

Nicole makes contented snuggling noises as you embrace her. "Ohhh... That's not fair! I wanted to be mad! I'm sorry, sweetie bear. I guess it's just been a long week of staring at foolish reports and that stupid article was the icing on my mad cake."

She pushes away slightly, "And are you saying I'm old? Because I remember going to Archie Smythe's last Christmas party. He died the February right after. I guess what I was trying to say is that people want things fixed but they don't want to fix them. Speaking of which, I'm pretty sure there's something in the bedroom that you could help me 'fix...'"

Just as she finishes her sultry come on, there is a crisp determined knock at your front door.

wizuriel
2015-06-05, 10:18 AM
*sigh*

Let me get rid of whoever is at the door and I will meet you in the bedroom in a minute. probably just a door to door salesman.

Meriss
2015-06-06, 06:31 PM
Claude

Grumbling you meader through the house. Finally you open the door to not a salesman but Martin Fargrave. What's going on?

wizuriel
2015-06-08, 02:25 PM
Hello? Can I help you?

Lacco
2015-06-09, 07:35 AM
Martin is just lighting a cigarette when the door opens. He just glances up.

Good evening, Claude. Sorry to intrude at this ungodly hour, but I wanted to inquire about something. Got few minutes to talk?

He takes a step forward, seems like something is deeply bothering him.

wizuriel
2015-06-09, 09:24 AM
Well...this is kind.... Claude sighs seeing something in Martin's eye's. Give me one min. Claude gestures for Martin to wait by the door and goes to tell his wife he might need a few min.

Lacco
2015-06-09, 10:26 AM
Martin turns his back to the door, watching the town - his eyes wandering from one side of the street to the other. He watches the town as if it was a predator, ready to swallow him, while waiting for Claude to return.

Anything strange for me to see?

Meriss
2015-06-10, 09:47 AM
Martin

Martin spots a quick flash of yellow eyes across the hedge. He reaches for his gun but quickly realizes it's just a huge black and white cat.

Claude

Your wife pouts slightly as you attempt to explain you have to deal with a client who just won't wait until morning. Nicole declares she's going to bed.

wizuriel
2015-06-11, 08:52 AM
Claude kisses his wife goodnight, promising he will join her as soon as he can.

He heads back downstairs. So Martin right? I haven't heard from you in years, what brings you here tonight?