PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Yet Another Dual Wielder Feat Fix

wayfare
2015-05-27, 01:05 PM
Hey All:

I've read a lot on here about how TWF is sub-optimal, and I wanted to modify the Dual Wielder feat for play in an upcoming game. My goal here is to strip out the defensive elements of Dual wielder and focus purely on offense.

Dual Wielder
You have mastered the art of fighting with two weapons, granting you the following benefits:

When you use the extra attack option and successfully land more than one hit, you may use your reaction to make an attack against an opponent within weapon range with your off hand weapon.
You may use one-handed weapons without the light quality while dual wielding
You may draw or stow two one-handed weapons when you would normally be able to draw one.

This takes your average dual-weilding extra attacker and potentially gives them the same number of attacks as a fighter. A fighter still comes out on top with another attack added to the arsenal -- fighters are still the best users of this ability as they have more potential to land multiple hits and trigger this ability.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks
Wayfare

Ninja_Prawn
2015-05-27, 02:20 PM
When you use the extra attack option and successfully land more than one hit, you may use your reaction to make an attack against an opponent within weapon range.

But... This is just a free hit for fighters. It doesn't even require you to be holding two weapons. Either I'm missing something, or you need to rephrase this.

wayfare
2015-05-27, 02:31 PM
But... This is just a free hit for fighters. It doesn't even require you to be holding two weapons. Either I'm missing something, or you need to rephrase this.

Made a change. Think it is sufficient?

Grynning
2015-05-27, 02:31 PM
I don't agree that more attack rolls is the way to go, it may slow down play. The main problem with TWF is the damage just scales really poorly (which is why the feat in my thread is mostly just a damage fix). A simpler fix than what I did might be to just be a flat +1 or +2 damage bonus while dual wielding (on top of being able to use non-light weapons).
Person_Man often makes the case that weapons doing so many different types of damage dice is a problem with D&D in general and 5th ed more specifically - it makes choosing something you like for flavor reasons automatically sub-optimal mechanically, which I just don't like.

wayfare
2015-05-27, 02:44 PM
I don't agree that more attack rolls is the way to go, it may slow down play. The main problem with TWF is the damage just scales really poorly (which is why the feat in my thread is mostly just a damage fix). A simpler fix than what I did might be to just be a flat +1 or +2 damage bonus while dual wielding (on top of being able to use non-light weapons).
Person_Man often makes the case that weapons doing so many different types of damage dice is a problem with D&D in general and 5th ed more specifically - it makes choosing something you like for flavor reasons automatically sub-optimal mechanically, which I just don't like.

Its great for crit fishing builds, though! I dont see slow down as a real concern. Just roll all your d20 at once. If you hit twice, roll another.

A flat damage modifier isnt bad, btw. Sort of the little cousin to GWM. I was just aiming to give TWF a mechanical flavor that is unique in the same way GWM is.

I agree with person man on the damage thing. Unless there is a mechanical advantage attached, weapons should be closer together in damage dice

Steampunkette
2015-05-27, 04:00 PM
How about allowing the dual-wielder feat to upgrade the weapon damage dice, instead?

So a fighter with the Two Weapon style and the Dual Wielder feat swings a pair of longswords at 1d10+Strength mod.

Or Shortswords at 1d8.

It'd bring them up over Polearm Mastery damage values, but Greatswords and Greataxes would still be more damaging on average and at max.

Inchoroi
2015-05-27, 11:10 PM
You know... Here's what I'd say. This way, it's simple, to the point, and always useful, even from level one.

Dual Weapon Mastery

You've mastered the use of two weapons at once, your hands a blur. When you hit with a main hand attack and an offhand attack, you deal additional damage equal to your proficiency bonus. That damage is the same type as the weapon's damage die.