PDA

View Full Version : Ideas wanted: Paper Mario 64 10 HP run

Lheticus
2015-05-27, 08:27 PM
I'm getting ready to revive my doing Let's Plays as a thing, and I decided on a 10 HP run of Paper Mario 64. The thing is...it's been done a few times, right? I want an extra wrinkle, an additional restriction of some sort to make it REALLY challenging and interesting. Let me know your ideas!

Swiss Voulge
2015-05-27, 10:43 PM
I've actually only played Thousand Year Door, but do any of the following sound even remotely reasonable?

No Items
No switching out partner
No partner actions
Fight all optional minibosses
Limited use of inns/toad houses each chapter

Lheticus
2015-05-28, 08:17 AM
I've actually only played Thousand Year Door, but do any of the following sound even remotely reasonable?

No Items
No switching out partner
No partner actions
Fight all optional minibosses
Limited use of inns/toad houses each chapter

These are all good ideas, especially no items (I try to play like that normally for the most part) but I'm thinking I need a more...unusual condition. Something that counters one or more usual strategies of completing a 10 HP run rather than just making the game objectively harder, something hard under the SPECIFIC conditions of a 10 HP run but really not affecting things much in a non 10 HP run. I'll probably just have to give it some thought myself.

EDIT: It just hit me--why do 10 HP when you can do 5? THAT'S what a full on "Danger Mario" run is! And as for the extra wrinkle...I don't think anyone's done a Danger Mario full run on Youtube where they're banned from healing above 5 HP as soon as Jr. Troopa gets your health to that point! So it'd be a True Danger Mario 1 starting after the very first battle!

I suppose I'd have to avoid battles until R&B Goomba and the Goomba King for that to work...hmm this may not work what with having to beat both of them before reaching Toad Town.