PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Large Dwarven Longhammer Questions.

anoblewolf
2015-05-27, 09:42 PM
Thank you all in advance for your help.

The Dwarven Longhammer is a reach weapon, for a medium character the range is 10ft. Now I have a player that can use weapons that are one size larger. The question is. Is the range the same for a large Dwarven Longhammer.

Thank you again for your help.

Saintheart
2015-05-27, 10:15 PM
Thank you all in advance for your help.

The Dwarven Longhammer is a reach weapon, for a medium character the range is 10ft. Now I have a player that can use weapons that are one size larger. The question is. Is the range the same for a large Dwarven Longhammer.

Thank you again for your help.

The way I understood it, the range would be the same. It's the size of the character that counts, not the size of the weapon as such. If your player can use a weapon one size larger, but is still a Medium-sized character, when using a reach weapon he still only threatens spaces 10 feet out. The weapon being large changes its damage dice, probably, but it doesn't increase its threat range. If he was a Large character, and had a Large weapon, then he'd be able to threaten spaces 20 feet out, but as it is, no.

Per the SRD:

A reach weapon is a melee weapon that allows its wielder to strike at targets that aren’t adjacent to him or her. Most reach weapons double the wielder’s natural reach, meaning that a typical Small or Medium wielder of such a weapon can attack a creature 10 feet away, but not a creature in an adjacent square. A typical Large character wielding a reach weapon of the appropriate size can attack a creature 15 or 20 feet away, but not adjacent creatures or creatures up to 10 feet away.

Keld Denar
2015-05-27, 10:55 PM
Its not about how big your weapon is, it's how you use it! how big you are!

Saintheart
2015-05-27, 11:05 PM
[Weapon] Size matters not!

Andezzar
2015-05-28, 12:41 AM
The other part you didn't highlight actually spells it out. Unless noted otherwise, a reach weapon doubles the wielder's natural reach. Unless the character with the ability to wield larger weapons also has an increase in his natural reach (like the inhuman reach feat) still 5 ft are doubled, and not 10ft. as normal for large characters.