PDA

View Full Version : James Bond

Avigor
2015-05-28, 12:42 AM
Found myself contemplating the famous spy, and want to know what the playground thinks of the following:

Battle Dancer 1 / Factotum 10 / Spymaster 4 / Fortune's Friend 5

Take Hand Crossbow Focus (Drow of the Underdark), Leadership (Artificer Cohort), Luck feats for whichever mechanics you want, and Font of Inspiration for every other slot.

CHA>DEX>INT>CON>WIS>STR

Can throw a punch properly (ie thumb goes outside the fist, not in it) without being a blackbelt, is capable with the closest thing d&d has to a ppk, is so charismatic that bullets can't stand to bring themselves to hit him, and is one of the most adaptively lucky bastards on the planet (some might have more luck or adaptability, but not many). Also, very adept at hiding Q's gadgets' true functions, and can have a couple cover identities as needed for his missions. He doesn't get Deep Cover because he just isn't subtle enough, sorry.

Karl Aegis
2015-05-28, 12:45 AM
Since he is level 20, what is preventing this guy from just buying the entire country he happens to be spying on? He certainly has enough money to do so.

Yael
2015-05-28, 01:51 AM
I kinda agree, James Bond would fit up to a level 7 expert? Even a level 4 Rogue would be enough for his feats. However, if a master spy is what you want, all the way with Factotum/Rogue and Spymaster aren't bad options at all.

Avigor
2015-05-28, 02:11 AM
Meh, not so much intended to recreate him as to make a similar flavor build, sorry if I confused with that.

Avigor
2015-05-28, 01:35 PM
On second thought, and after reviewing the luck feats:

Human
Forgot to specify, but yeah.

Rogue 1 / Battle Dancer 1 / Factotum 9 / Spymaster 4 / Fortune's Friend 5

Choose an ACF to replace Rogue trapfinding (he also gets it as factotum, no point in redundancy). The Rogue level otherwise gives an SA die and hand crossbow proficiency without taking it as a feat, which seems more valuable than just a +1 to effective factotum level and one extra daily use of opportunistic piety.

For skills, keep Diplomacy and Sense Motive maxed, while other social, stealth, infiltration, and awareness skills get lots of ranks but not max, other physical skills get at least one rank apiece (for Cunning Knowledge) and throw a smattering of ranks at Appraise, various Knowledge skills, and a couple ranks in Profession skills. He is cultured as well as skilled, after all. Oh, and a bunch of skill tricks and some Autohypnosis.

Feats:
Hand Crossbow Focus (Drow of the Underdark)
Leadership (Artificer Cohort)
Luck:
Advantageous Avoidance
Dumb Luck
Lucky Break
Lucky Start
Make Your Own Luck
Survivor's Luck
Tempting Fate
Unbelievable Luck

His luck makes him hard to kill; Lucky Break helps him escape death traps when time is short.
No Font of Inspiration slots unless he gets flaws, which I'd probably advise against as I'm drawing a blank on which ones, if any, wouldn't be too much of a weakness and would fit thematically.

CHA>INT>DEX>CON>WIS>STR

This takes better advantage of Brains Over Brawn and gives more skills to begin with. I'd argue for WIS over STR as he seems more aware than muscular to me.

EDIT: Added Autohypnosis. That's it.

lytokk
2015-05-28, 01:52 PM
What prevents him from just buying a country is the fact that he lost all of his wealth while levelling up. How many gadgets make its way through the entire movie? Traditionally his vehicles are getting destroyed, which can add up to a sizeable chunk of his WBL. What he's not spending on gadgets he's using on consumable one time use items, expensive retreats where he disappears from society while still using his real name (which has to cost a lot of money), and losses to gambling.

Avigor
2015-05-28, 02:01 PM
Very true, hadn't thought of that.

dysprosium
2015-05-28, 02:54 PM
For the Rogue acf I would choose antiquarian from Complete Champion, as Mr Bond has knowledge of the finer things.

Also you could leave Factotum at Level 8, which is a good breakpoint since you just gained cunning surge. That will give you another level for Spymaster.

Flickerdart
2015-05-28, 03:02 PM
What prevents him from just buying a country is the fact that he lost all of his wealth while levelling up. How many gadgets make its way through the entire movie? Traditionally his vehicles are getting destroyed, which can add up to a sizeable chunk of his WBL. What he's not spending on gadgets he's using on consumable one time use items, expensive retreats where he disappears from society while still using his real name (which has to cost a lot of money), and losses to gambling.
WBL is explicitly not "the amount of loot that's dropped in your career" but "the value of your gear."