PDA

View Full Version : Escape from Dinosaur Island!

TheThan
2015-05-28, 12:48 AM
Opening Scene: Fire in the sky?

The low growl of the twin engines of the Lockheed model ten is ever present in the cabin of the small airplane. Most of the space in the fuselage is being taken up by cargo crates of various sizes. However there are a few bucket seats attached to the hulls for passengers.

The plane begins to bump slightly and you hear a call back from the pilot over the small speaker by the door.

“Looks like we’ve got some afternoon thunder bumpers rolling in on us. Things are going to get a bit rough, but it’s nothing we can’t handle, no need to be alarmed.”

The plane continues on its journey for what seems like several minutes. looking out the window you notice the plane has flown directly into the clouds. Suddenly you hear the deafening boom of thunder and a bright, blinding flash. When you can see again you notice something odd. The growl of the engines putter to a stop and then you hear a near panicky level commotion going on from the cockpit.

“Ladies and gentlemen, I need all passengers to remain seated and buckle your safety belts. We are making an emergency landing. Things may get a little a little rough, but I assure you, we are in no danger.”

The pilot calls back, his voice strongly audible with no engines interfering.

The plane silently glides through the air, bumping as you encounter more turbulence and losing altitude as it descends deeper into the storm, ducking below the clouds. Looking out the window again you see more lightning arch across the sky and rain beating down on the plan’s window. You notice that the plane seems to be losing altitude really fast.

Suddenly a dark mountain peak appears looming ominously before your plane like some sort of sentry blocking your path. You hear one of the pilots yell out “where did that come from!?”

CRAAAAASH!

Scene one: blood on the mountain
Aspects: dizzying height, teetering on the brink, slippery floor, low visibility, hypothermic conditions

The aftermath of the crash is devastating. The entire aft portion of the plane has been sheared off, dumping it’s cargo down the mountain side. One wing has also been sheared off along with the engine, and the nose of the plane is crimpled in like an accordion. The front windscreen and windows are all broken in and there is a long gash in the deck where a jagged rock had torn into the plane. Looking through the gash in the deck of the plane, you can see an enormous chasm looming below.

It’s still dumping rain, which is entering through the broken out windows, making the ground wet.

Upon moving, you notice the plane rocks and threaten to pitch backwards, sending all of you tumbling down the mountain to your deaths.

Looking around you finds the following supplies:

1 10x10 cargo net
50ft (about) heavy hemp rope
A first aid kit
A self inflating rubber raft with a single wooden paddle
A metal canteen, half full.
A flare gun in a case with five flares
A hip flask filled with whiskey
A .357 caliber double action revolver with 2 reloads (18 shots total)
Plus whatever gear you have on your person

NineOfSpades
2015-05-28, 11:43 AM
Ruby groaned a bit, her vision blurred and her head aching as her senses came back to her. Her first thought was that she must have had one wild night, to leave her with a hangover like this. But then, that didn't exactly feel right. As far as she recalled, Ruby hadn't had a single drink in at least the past two days. Not for lack of trying, mind you, but there hadn't been a single bar within walking distance of the airport that could mix up a decent cocktail. So...had she been drugged? Wouldn't be the first time. The growing sense of pain radiating up from her shoulder made that option seem likely. Omerta probably thought she was undercutting him and decided she needed to be taught a lesson. Jerk's so paranoid. Wait...no...that wasn't it, Omerta was in Prague, wasn't he? Something about visiting his cousin? Urg, it'd be so much easier to think without that constant dripping.

Dripping...why was there dripping? Summoning up her willpower, Ruby cracked her eyes open and brought her eyesight back into focus. The swirling colors solidified into an image of her environment. And frankly, what she saw wasn't good. "Oh...I'm dreaming" she mumbled. But even as the words left her mouth, she knew they weren't true. The memories can flooding back to mind, the thunderstorm, and then the crash. Least there was a brightside, and that was she'd managed to wake up before the plane tumbled into oblivion and took her with it. Not much of a silverlining, but sometimes you gotta take what you can get.

"Hey...HEEEY....anyone else alive? Soundoff or something" Shakily picking herself off the ground, Ruby grabbed the length of rope and slung it over her shoulder. Rain or no rain, there looked like there was enough outcroppings and handholds to make her way forwards, away from the chasm. Needed to get a line secured, so that any other survivors could clamor up behind her. Maybe grab some of the other supplies to, before this deathtrap went over. "Just...try not to move to much...gimme a second."

Athletics check to overcome these obstructions and climb up out of plane before it falls to our doom.
[roll0]+5=+8 Shifts

glaiveguy
2015-05-28, 03:32 PM
Sir Jonas Hawthorne's booming voice rises to be heard over the infernal chatter from the cockpit."...so he asks me if I've seen the leopard and I say to him 'Indeed sir! I have spotted the beast Ha Ha HA!" and then it all went black.

Lucidity returns but gradually, what at first seems a mere opium dream quickly snaps into focus. (High, cold, damp. Oh devil take that pilot, knew I should have gone by ship.) His keen hunter's knife sheers through his twisted restraints and he rolls himself onto the pitched floor of the cabin.

He climbs up toward the gash in the plane on hands and knees so as to have as little impact on the delicate balance going on. "Look lively now! Make hay while the iron is hot!" He will cut out his fellow passengers from their own restraints if needed and lends a hand. "She's like to topple any second."

He has presence of mind to grab for what supplies are in arms reach. A first aid kit and a cargo net, very practical, very sound...then a gleam catches him from the corner of his eye. A beautifully engraved double action revolver in a glass and oak case; antler horn grips chased in gold scrollwork with a custom iron sight, a gift from Daniel. B Wesson himself. Looking between the hole in the plane on one end and the revolver in the other, the old man sighs ruefully. "You're a silly old man Jonas". He stands, slings the cargo net over his head like a lariat and attempts to hook it over the revolver's case to drag it too him before making his escape from the plane.

Rolling Athletics to successfully get the revolver(4d3)[2][3][1][3](9) (+3 total)

Edit: Sorry, first time using the roller. :smalleek:

TheThan
2015-05-28, 03:51 PM
Ruby takes a few steps towards the sheared off aft section of the plane, she can feel the plane shift under her weight, but she's light of foot enough that it holds and she’s able to spot a stone spike protruding out of the side of the nearby rock face that would make a great anchor point for a rope.

Jonas manages to recover the handgun, although he nearly lost it while dragging it to the gash in the plane.

“ Bill? BILL! Oh geez man”

You hear the pilot say from the cockpit. Anyone looking into it will see the pilot struggle to get out of his restraints, his co-pilot Bill, is unconscious, a dark red patch staining the side of his head and neck and the white collar of his shirt.

“oh man… Someone give me a hand up here!”

Anyr
2015-05-29, 08:11 AM
A hand weakly emerged from one of the many piles of debris. With an effort, Helen Fairbanks pulled herself into view. She allowed herself a few seconds of stunned silence, in order to absorb the full scale of the disaster. How had this happened? Who was still alive? How coul-Okay, enough. The few seconds were over. From now on, it would be business as usual. Helen clambered unsteadily to her feet, and looked for something useful to do. Her two employers seemed to have already gathered most of the supplies; And that strange woman from earlier (Ruby, was it?) was busy creating an exit for all of them. That left the pilots. Slowly and carefully, Helen made her way towards the cockpit.

Athletics (if needed): [roll0] {+2}

glaiveguy
2015-05-29, 09:10 AM
Helen! HELEN! Jonas's face is a mask of agrieved concern Once you've attended to the pilot be a dear and grab my memoirs on your way out! They're the only copies for all love!

That settled he looks to Ruby from just inside the gaping hole in the plane. "My dear lady, if you'll throw me the other end of that rope I'll make it fast on this end while you tie it to that spike. Handsomely now, she's liable to spill at any moment!"

Assuming he's offered the other end of the rope he will find a suitable place to fasten it inside the plane where it can best bear the load.

Will use survival for the fastening and knotting of the rope unless there's something better? If i'm understanding the rules properly then I'd be trying to remove the "teetering on the brink" aspect from this scene. [roll0] (+3 Survival= +4 total)

Anyr
2015-05-29, 09:28 AM
A vein on Helen's forehead pulsed rather alarmingly. She took a deep, calming breath before replying.

"Already done, sir. They're safely stored in this bag."

[Yes sir, I'm fine. Just a few bruises. Please, sir, try to control yourself. Those tears of relief are quite unbecoming...]

TheThan
2015-06-01, 08:34 PM
At the aft end of the plane, where the fuselage has been sheared off; Ruby and Sir Jonas manage to secure one end of the rope to the rock face and the other to a piece of torn fuselage, making a somewhat horizontal line from the plane to the side of the.

Sir Jonas’s sharp eyes catch a small outcropping down below and hopefully out of the way of the planes’ decent. It looks too far to leap to but you should be able to reach it with the rope and a minimal amount of climbing.

Meanwhile, Helen manages to help get the pilot loose. She manages to help apply an impromptu pressure bandage with a piece of seat cushion and some silvery tape around Bill’s head. He’s conscious... barely and muttering something about his hat. It’s possible he has a concussion. You notice the pilot’s chest and arms are dotted in red, probably caused from glass shrapnel from the windshield. Frank, you think his name was, takes a step, trying to help his friend, and suddenly then the whole plane starts tipping downwards towards the crinkled nose of the craft.

In the back of the plane, Sir Jonas and Ruby see the plane pitch forward, everything not tied down starts tumbling or sliding forward. The rope Jonas secured goes taunt and miraculously holds the plane steady; although not for long.

Jonas nearly loses his balance and falls, but checks himself on the taunt rope. Ruby manages to win her fight with gravity and stay on her feet as well.

The pilot gives Helen a terrified look, “We need to get out of here now!”

Jonas has removed the teetering on the brink aspect and created a temporary aspect called taunt line.
You also gain a roll of “Aviation tape” which is like duct tape only used for aviation. It’s heat resistant and has a silvery shine one one side.

Anyr
2015-06-02, 06:07 AM
"I couldn't agree more. Here, let's get your friend to safety."

Helen hooked an arm beneath the pilot's shoulder, and began helping him along. She also took a moment to look for (and grab) that hat he'd mentioned. The act was one of pure habit. She answered requests like 'would you please get my hat' with such frequency that it was practically automatic. With careful steps, Helen made her way through the increasingly unstable plane.

glaiveguy
2015-06-02, 08:18 AM
Jonas plucks at the tightly stretch line of rope, listening to it twang and gives a satisfied nod of his head. Satisfied the plane won’t be falling from the cliff imminently he makes his way back inside to rescue more of the supplies. He only manages to scoop up the flare gun case before he sees Helen approaching with the pilot, a hat dangling in her hand...

“Oh come now Helen, this is no time to be worrying about fashion, your hair looks perfectly fine.”

He will take the injured pilot under the other arm and help lead them all outside where the other young lady was waiting. Setting down the supplies he’d gathered he takes stock of their situation…

“Well that’s a fine kettle of fish ain’t it? Set him down and I’ll see if we can’t stop that bleeding.”

Plucking up the first aid kit he patches up the pilot as best he is able.

[roll0] (+1 Medicine)

Edit: tried to use a fate point to re-roll (will assume the first aid kit gives me an aspect to activate?) When I submit the edit I only see the code so will submit the reroll in a reply post

glaiveguy
2015-06-02, 08:24 AM
Spending a fate point to activate an aspect from the first aid kit and reroll. 9/10 left

[roll0] (+1 medicine)

TheThan
2015-06-05, 01:09 PM
Your group manages to slip across the rope and down the rock face to the small ledge. Sir Jonas takes the time to untie the rope and swing across to the rock face like Tarzan. As soon as he does you see the plane tilt forward and begin to fall off its precarious perch. It lazily tips forward then slides off the rock spires it’s balancing on. It falls down then explodes in a massive fireball upon impact.

Once on the cliff face, Sir Jonas loosens the rope from its anchor point and drops it down to Ruby, who catches it with a deft hand. Sir Jonas then climbs down to the others free hand. Once with the others he takes over tending the wounded co-pilot for Helen.

Peering over the edge, Helen spots a possible way down, while she’s not expert in climbing, it does look climbable.

You notice the rain has stopped and the sun is breaking through the clouds. It’s warming up but still damp and cold.

Ok so I’m moving everyone to a new zone: cliff face:
Aspects: dizzying height, vertical cliff face, easy handholds, slippery when wet

Yes i did roll for these feats, you guys did amazing.

glaiveguy
2015-06-05, 01:36 PM
Jonas looks up from his bandaging and watches the plane slide down the mountain and burst into flames. As the immediacy of the danger passes he begins to think about their situation...well its not the WORST bit of bother he's ever been in but it feels fairly close.

"Well then! There goes that." He looks at the two women "Take a moment and collect yourselves my dears, I'm sure you've been through an awful shock. Worry not though! We will find our way home or my name isn't Sir Jonas Hawthorne!"

First things first then, he looks out over the cliff face and to the island(?) below, trying to get a lay of the land, figure out where they are, and possibly locate the crate with all his guns because he'd be terribly sad to lose Ophelia.

Using notice
[roll0] +2 Notice

Anyr
2015-06-05, 04:46 PM
Helen stared forlornly at the fiery inferno that had, until moments ago, been a plane. So much for salvage. She silently mourned the loss of all her luggage. As if being stranded weren't bad enough, the sum total of her possessions now resided within a single shoulder bag. Somewhere in the background, her employer was spewing the usual barrage of empty platitudes. Helen tuned him out, and focused on marshalling the few resources available. First came a thorough inventory of everyone's possessions. Had anyone managed to save anything useful? Next she checked on the pilots. Would they be able to manage the difficult climb that lay ahead? For that matter, could she manage it? This ledge was very high up...

TheThan
2015-06-07, 01:40 AM
Sir Jonas sees that you are on a nearly vertical cliff face, you can climb down thanks to the easy hand holds Helen spotted. Once you get off this cliff face it should be an easy decent into the tree line which you can’t see into due to the thick layer of mist. There is no trace of his beloved ophilia or the rest of the cargo.

Helen finds the supplies (mentioned above, plus the aviation tape. The pilot, Frank, isn’t as wounded as he first appeared, the glass that shattered over him only causing minor superficial cuts to places where his bomber jacket wasn’t. the co pilot, Bill seems concussed, but he’s slowly getting better, he could make it down, albeit with some help.

NineOfSpades
2015-06-07, 09:47 AM
"Well...thank goodness we got out of there" Ruby commented as she watched the plane tumble into the darkness. It wasn't exactly a positive sight, but sometimes you had to squint to find the silver lining. The cold, rash-washed silver lining. "Don't suppose anyone managed to radio an SOS, or whatever the aviation equivalent of that is. Mayday?" she paused, shaking her head, which was still a little fuzzy. "Or, heck, I'd settle for a pack of smokes"

Anyr
2015-06-07, 10:56 AM
The mention of cigarettes provoked a disapproving tut from the secretary. Such a filthy habit.

"That mountain came out of nowhere. There was no time to even brace ourselves; Let alone send a distress call. As for the cigarettes, their absence should be seen as a boon. Your beleaguered lungs have been given a rare chance to breathe freely."

glaiveguy
2015-06-07, 04:22 PM
"...breath free..."*CLICK*

A brief spark of light and flame followed by a spicy smokey scent as Jonas lights a cigarillo with his elephant ivory lighter and hands it to Ruby, taking one for himself as well.

"Helen is right, that mountain should not have been there, no peaks that high in this part of the world." He puffs thoughtfully as he looks down toward the treeline. When he speaks next it is with unusual seriousness.

"A hard climb, but no help for it. We should form a relay with the rope. climb slowly, be sure of your hand holds. Do not look down."

He spends the remaining life time of his cigarillo gathering supplies into the cargo net and securing the rope to an anchor and to whoever agrees to be part of the rope relay.

TheThan
2015-06-07, 10:51 PM
Thanks to the medical attention, and some effort, Bill slowly begins to recover from his apparent concussion enough to be able to probably make the climb.

Frank the co-pilot says,
“No we didn’t get to radio out; the whole electrical system got fried when we got hit. With both engines out; we were on a glide path but we were shedding altitude much faster than we should have been. In all honestly we shouldn’t have survived that crash. So let’s count our blessings.”

While Frank is talking, Sir Jonas and Helena notices a shadow pass over the ledge they are standing on. Looking up they spot a flock of birds, black against the blue sky. They are unusually high up and are probably some sort of raptor considering their size.

Sir Jonas, Gerald and Helena notice the clouds have broken up now and are moving away. The dark thunderclouds spreading out over the ocean far off.

Sir Jonas realizes immediately that most birds of prey of that size are solitary hunters, and shouldn’t be flocking like that. They’re about the size of falcons (3ft wingspan).

Naturalist stunt ftw.

Anyr
2015-06-08, 08:35 AM
Helen's hopes of living in a smoke-free zone were quickly crushed. She could already feel a familiar tickle in the back of her throat, that presaged a coughing fit. How did the smoke always manage to home in on her position? Ah well, nothing to do but live with it. Following her employer's example, she started tying part of the rope around herself. They'd need all the support they could get for the coming climb.

Helen spends a fate point to invoke 'Easy Handholds'.

Athletics check (when needed): [roll0] (+2 Athletics, +2 Aspect)

Anyr
2015-06-08, 08:36 AM
{OOC: Sorry, wrong roll type. Let's try that again: [roll0] (+2 Athletics, +2 Aspect)}

glaiveguy
2015-06-08, 10:23 AM
"Hrrmmmm...." He chews on his cigarillo as he watches the birds fly past. The odd behavior discomfits him more than experiencing a plane crash seems to.

He distracts himself by attending to the rope and the climb downward. He's scaled a fair number of cliffs in his time though his joints didn't ache quite so abominably before.

"Smartly now ladies, gentlemen. Give a yell if you think you're falling, everyone else brace tight until they regain their hands."

[roll0] +2 Athletics

TheThan
2015-06-10, 01:44 AM
You slowly begin your decent down the mountain face. Sir Jonas in the lead, followed by Helen, Ruby and the two pilots. Despite his age, Jonas has no problem scaling the cliff face; Helen and Ruby on the other hand, are having trouble.
Helen places her heeled foot in a recess and suddenly her foot slips out and she loses her hand hold. She finds herself dangling from her hands, her pump flying off her foot and falling into oblivion. But with grim determination she pulls herself back to the cliff face and finds better foot and hand holds.

Helen fails her athletics check by one shift. I’m using the mountain’s vertical cliff face to attack Helen’s mental stress track. Unfortunately my roll came up awful. So she suffers nothing (save the lost pump, which I just threw in there for flavor anyway).

Anyr
2015-06-10, 04:05 AM
Helen called a temporary halt to the climb, while she recovered her composure. That little slip had left her understandably shaken. She resisted the urge to glance down at her newly uncovered foot. Damn, that was an inconvenience she could have done without. She doubted that there'd be any replacement footwear waiting at the base of this cliff. Assuming, that is, that she managed to get that far...

Athletics check (again): [roll0] {+2 Athletics, +2 Aspect}

glaiveguy
2015-06-10, 11:31 AM
Jonas braces against his handhold when he hears Helen slipping, ready to bear her weight on the rope relay. He gives a sigh of relief when he see's her regain her handhold.

"Steady on Helen! Use your foot to find a good hand hold! Just like those gorillas in the Congo!"

He continues his own climb downward, trying not to focus too much on the distance, only on one handhold at a time. He looks further up the cliff to Ruby.

"Young miss! Is everything well up on the line?"

[roll0]
Athletics+2 and spending a fate point on Easy handholds for a total of +4

TheThan
2015-06-14, 06:21 PM
You manage to survive and hold on.
After a few minutes of continuing you’re decent all three of you notice more shadows passing over head, this time much bigger shadows. You also hear a bizarre squawk. Unlike any bird you’ve ever heard before.

Looking over your shoulder, you see strange bird like creatures. Some sort of bizarre flying creature with bat like wings, a leathery skin with no hair, two feet and a long elongated head with a beak. They have three foot wingspan and are 3-4 feet long. The creatures fly towards the cliff face towards you... dangerously close that is. They swoop in and squawking loudly and attempt to bite you with their sharp too filled beaks. You manage to fend them off but they are relentless and are not fleeing. they are buzzing and flapping around, swarming you.

3 Pterodactyl mobs attack the group and all amazingly miss.
it's Your guys' turn in the initiative order

Also I'm going to using batch initiative. I'm using our average notice rolls for determining awareness. it's easier to keep track this way. feel free to post in any order.