PDA

View Full Version : Bandana's Accent

shockeroo
2015-05-28, 01:51 AM
Does Bandana's accent seem to be based on a specific real-world dialect? In 988 "Y'all" places her somewhere in the US south for me, but "Nah, I don't mind none." I'm not so familiar with.

Keltest
2015-05-28, 05:19 AM
In Pennsylvania, you get such an odd mishmash of sayings and mannerisms its hard to keep them straight at times, even for a local. Rich's stated location is in Philly, so it wouldn't surprise me if he had a friend or two who live out in the mountains who speak like that.

Chronos
2015-05-28, 06:15 AM
"Y'all" is distinctly un-Pennsylvania-mountains. You can find it nearly anywhere else in the US (especially the South, of course, but it can be anywhere) except in that region, which has a different established second-person-plural, "you'uns" (short for "you ones", and pronounced something like "yinz").

Keltest
2015-05-28, 06:18 AM
"Y'all" is distinctly un-Pennsylvania-mountains. You can find it nearly anywhere else in the US (especially the South, of course, but it can be anywhere) except in that region, which has a different established second-person-plural, "you'uns" (short for "you ones", and pronounced something like "yinz").

I live in Pennsylvania and I say yall, as does my family...

Jaxzan Proditor
2015-05-28, 06:38 AM
I've placed her accent as vaguely Southern. I imagine the idea is to make Bandana sound less formal, contrasting with Vaarsuvius and Roy.

kivzirrum
2015-05-28, 06:53 AM
I've heard her with a slight southern twang ever since she was introduced. But honestly, I'm from Maine, and her accent could just as easily be placed here if it was just a little less rhotic. :smallsigh:

I wonder if people from countries that aren't the US have any other impressions of it?

Talyn
2015-05-28, 07:23 AM
For some reason, in my head Bandana sounds distinctly "West Coast," from that more rural Northern California area. (Where, according to some friends of mine who live out there, 'y'all' is in common use.) Her excellent vocabulary means I can't attach a backwoods accent to her.

pearl jam
2015-05-28, 08:22 AM

Western PA and Eastern PA are pretty different.

Yinz is pretty specific to the Pittsburgh area.

Peelee
2015-05-28, 09:57 AM
Her excellent vocabulary means I can't attach a backwoods accent to her.

You'd be surprised.

rafet
2015-05-28, 10:00 AM
Her excellent vocabulary means I can't attach a backwoods accent to her.

That's a common misconception, and anyone from that area would probably take offense. I once was given quite a smoking session in the army for a comment like that.

Goosefarble
2015-05-28, 10:22 AM
I've been reading her in a Bostonian accent, personally. Some of her mannerisms seem a bit New England-y.

Bulldog Psion
2015-05-28, 11:12 AM
"Y'all" definitely says "south of the Mason-Dixon line" to me.

With that said, I imagine her having a stereotypical "New Joisey" accent.

I fully realize, having been there, that people from New Jersey do NOT have a stereotypical "New Joisey" accent; in fact, nobody does, it's basically a fictional accent.

However, this is a work of fiction, so I picture Bandana as having a Joisey/movie gangster accent -- "You stupid joik! It's coitains for you, pal!" :smallwink:

Keltest
2015-05-28, 11:22 AM

Yinz is pretty specific to the Pittsburgh area.

Pennsylvania is a mess of accents. Especially where I live, since its right smack dab in the middle of the state.

kivzirrum
2015-05-28, 11:30 AM
"Y'all" definitely says "south of the Mason-Dixon line" to me.

With that said, I imagine her having a stereotypical "New Joisey" accent.

I fully realize, having been there, that people from New Jersey do NOT have a stereotypical "New Joisey" accent; in fact, nobody does, it's basically a fictional accent.

However, this is a work of fiction, so I picture Bandana as having a Joisey/movie gangster accent -- "You stupid joik! It's coitains for you, pal!" :smallwink:

I dunno, I live almost as far north of the Mason-Dixon as you can get without entering Canada, but I still hear "y'all" with relative frequency, and say it with even more frequency :smalltongue:

I still hear her accent as a southern US one, too, but perhaps that particular colloquialism is more widespread than you thought!

ella ventic
2015-05-28, 07:25 PM
I vote Appalachian. "I don't mind none" sounds nifty with a twang/drawl to me, with those long "i"s turned into "ah"s. I'm not sure whether I'm thinking Pennsylvania, Kentucky, or Alabama Appalachian, but it definitely puts me in mind of the mountains.

Edit: oh, and just to throw some oil on the fire, I think it definitely ISN'T one of the non-rhotic American accents: Boston, Jersey, the Deep South. I think Bandana is meant to be pronouncing those "r"s. ...Of course, I could be wrong! :smallbiggrin:

Crusher
2015-05-28, 07:50 PM
Hmm, my mental picture has been an Oklahoma/Texas kinda thing for her but I should go back and re read.

Zordrath
2015-05-28, 08:38 PM
As a non-native speaker, Bandana never sounded like a real person to me. Phrases like "I for-reals appreciate" and "I don't mind none" sound like a writer trying really hard to make a character appear street-smart and sassy, but I've never heard or read anyone talk like that. Considering that's probably true for most American accents though, that doesn't have to mean anything.

Murk
2015-05-29, 03:14 AM
I wonder if people from countries that aren't the US have any other impressions of it?

Yeah, that's the fun part: I really have no clue. I had the feeling it's meant to be more of a countryside accent than a city accent, but other than that - to me it's all the same. I wouldn't know the difference between a Californian or Texan or Pennsylvanian or Boston accent anyway, so, eh.
It doesn't really matter that much, though. I know what it's supposed to illustrate (diversity, and that she's a little less... "high culture", so to say), so it's fine.

EDIT:

As a non-native speaker, Bandana never sounded like a real person to me.
Oh, so true. Most English I hear is from TV (so, let's say, BBC and Hollywood), people from my own country in their broken English, or exchange students (from which it's sometimes hard to hear if they're actually speaking English). All these accents and small differences are something I only know from reading.
Which is interesting, I think.

Porthos
2015-05-29, 03:28 AM
The thing about "Y'all" is while it might have started in the South, it's pretty much spread all over the US. So much so that I don't really think it can be much of an indicator. I mean, I'm from NorCal and I use "Y'all" all the time. Consider it part and parcel of the mixing of the regionalisms of the US that Mass Media has wrought over the last 60 years.

===

As for "what I hear", couldn't say. She does have a tendancy to drop her "g"'s, though that's pretty common to a lot of dialetcs.

What she does have is a pretty informal manner of speaking (unless she deliberately changes it). That's probably more background than anything else, though. so I wouldn't read too much into dialect from that.

Dr. Gamera
2015-05-29, 09:34 AM

Pennsylvania is a mess of accents. Especially where I live, since its right smack dab in the middle of the state.

I vote Appalachian. "I don't mind none" sounds nifty with a twang/drawl to me, with those long "i"s turned into "ah"s. I'm not sure whether I'm thinking Pennsylvania, Kentucky, or Alabama Appalachian, but it definitely puts me in mind of the mountains.]

I concur with Appalachia, specifically to include Central Pennsylvania (east of "yinz" territory). Keltest correctly identifies rural Pennsylvania as rife with accents that include, for example, features that we might otherwise associate with a Southern drawl.

cobaltstarfire
2015-05-29, 11:52 AM
The fact that she uses a mixed bag of colloquialisms can easily be because she travels a lot, and doesn't really have to have anything to do with her accent at all.

Keltest
2015-05-29, 12:20 PM
The fact that she uses a mixed bag of colloquialisms can easily be because she travels a lot, and doesn't really have to have anything to do with her accent at all.

That's entirely possible, however none of the other crew members speak like she does that I have seen. However that may be because she was raised on the ship.

SirKazum
2015-05-29, 12:21 PM
As a non-native speaker, Bandana never sounded like a real person to me. Phrases like "I for-reals appreciate" and "I don't mind none" sound like a writer trying really hard to make a character appear street-smart and sassy, but I've never heard or read anyone talk like that. Considering that's probably true for most American accents though, that doesn't have to mean anything.

As a non-native speaker of English, I've been running into some trouble with that. In a story I'm writing, one character is supposed to have a sorta Cockney accent, but I'm afraid I'm bungling it really badly :smalltongue:

kivzirrum
2015-05-29, 12:22 PM
It's also worth noting that, like Durkon, her accent may be inconsistent.

Heck, it may be deliberately so, to keep it from being tied down to one specific real-world region that does not exist in her world. So while it is probably generally based on US rural accents, it's probably not a specific one.

Crusher
2015-05-29, 12:58 PM
Heck, it may be deliberately so, to keep it from being tied down to one specific real-world region that does not exist in her world. So while it is probably generally based on US rural accents, it's probably not a specific one.

Good point. No matter how much her speech patterns and choices of phrasing may linguistically point to, say, Arkansas (or wherever), she's 100% not actually from Arkansas. She's from wherever in the Stick-verse she's from (and I'd say we haven't seen enough of it to make a good guess). We're really just guessing what part of the US is most similar linguistically to the speech patterns from that part of the Stick-verse.

Which is still interesting, because it does carry connotations about her background and what not, but its never going to be very precise.

Peelee
2015-05-29, 04:15 PM
As a non-native speaker of English, I've been running into some trouble with that. In a story I'm writing, one character is supposed to have a sorta Cockney accent, but I'm afraid I'm bungling it really badly :smalltongue:

Find the most stereotypical writing or speech in cockney you can. Then make it more stereotypical. And watch out for copyright, because you'll probably end up writing Lock, Stock or Snatch.

Gwynfrid
2015-05-29, 05:50 PM

Non-native speaker here too, and I agree with that. She could use broken language or have a strong accent and that would make her more real, but here, it's mish-mash of unusual wordings and good vocabulary. I guess that's part of the reason I'm rather indifferent to her as a character. She's been puzzling at times, but I don't think anything she's said so far could be considered memorable.

SirKazum
2015-05-29, 09:18 PM
Find the most stereotypical writing or speech in cockney you can. Then make it more stereotypical. And watch out for copyright, because you'll probably end up writing Lock, Stock or Snatch.

Gotta try that. And I don't remember any cockney owls in Guy Ritchie movies, so I think I'm safe copyright-wise ;)

Centik
2015-05-30, 05:53 AM
You'd be surprised.

Your "Location" makes this comment beautiful.

Morquard
2015-05-31, 06:15 AM
That's entirely possible, however none of the other crew members speak like she does that I have seen. However that may be because she was raised on the ship.
I think the bolded part might be exactly it. She never had a "homeland" so to speak. She was raised by 30 different people with probably 30 different accents, not to mention the 100 towns with 500 dialects she visited. So she picked up a word here and another there and meshed it all together.

Chronos
2015-05-31, 07:08 AM
Quoth Goosefarble:

I've been reading her in a Bostonian accent, personally. Some of her mannerisms seem a bit New England-y.
She probably picks up a lot of perceived New-England-ness just by virtue of being a sailor. Ships played a lot bigger role in New England than in most of the country.

Scarlet Knight
2015-05-31, 02:30 PM

I was once told that Pennsylvania was Philadelphia & Pittsburgh with Alabama in between....

Between "Y'all" and "don't mind none" I hear Ellie Mae Clampett.

DeliaP
2015-05-31, 05:13 PM
Hi all, as a native English speaker from Europe, the interesting thing for me is that Bandana sounds.... American. Probably Southern US, if I was asked to pick a region. If I was forced to pick a state, I'd probably say Texas. For no better reason that that's the stereotypical origin for speaking in a thick American accent on the TV shows and films that I see....

But what's interesting is that she stands out to me because none of the other characters sound American, in my head, they sound English!

(And Durkon, specifically, sounds like northern England, probably around Yorkshire)

Geodude6
2015-05-31, 06:27 PM
To me she "sounds" like a female version of the Engineer from Team Fortress 2 - so basically from the US Southeast.

Twinna
2015-05-31, 07:58 PM

I do have to agree with this one. It does make sense from meta context. Even if it has been years since you heard the word, it might appear in your speech.

BannedInSchool
2015-05-31, 08:40 PM
We just need her to throw in a "What a hoser, eh?" and we'll be completely cast adrift.

Wardog
2015-06-07, 03:57 PM

Its been done (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bb_Pfgu-wg).

rodneyAnonymous
2015-06-08, 10:54 PM
Hi all, as a native English speaker from Europe, the interesting thing for me is that Bandana sounds.... American. Probably Southern US, if I was asked to pick a region. If I was forced to pick a state, I'd probably say Texas. For no better reason that that's the stereotypical origin for speaking in a thick American accent on the TV shows and films that I see....

But what's interesting is that she stands out to me because none of the other characters sound American, in my head, they sound English!

(And Durkon, specifically, sounds like northern England, probably around Yorkshire)

Interesting that a Texas drawl is "the American accent". Not that I'd be very good at distinguishing the many different British accent variations.