PDA

View Full Version : Alternate Identities

Avigor
2015-05-28, 02:07 AM
Classes such as Spymaster, Mountebank, and Zhentarim Spy give you these; I'm wondering what others think could make for some potent, useful for adventuring examples.

Granted, having the ability to flexibly swap as needed (even if it takes a week of in-game downtime and possible monetary investment) can be just what the doctor ordered, but what about some good staples, and skills to go with (social skills can be assumed)? I'm figuring 5 ranks is plenty for most "cover skills," only needing more in niche cases or to get related feats or skill tricks.

Two I've thought of:
Exotic Merchant. An eccentric collector of the strange, and/or the representative of a reclusive, enigmatic yet famous, uber rich client, this one can easily go anywhere the party can, as well as get invited into various private properties other PCs might not be. Will want Appraise, Decipher Script, Knowledge (Arcana, History, Religion, the Planes), Profession (Antiquarian and/or Curator), Spellcraft, and the Appraise Magic Item skill trick.

Private Tutor. Known for awe-inspiring results teaching the children of nobility, this one should be able to get into any noble household with kids, and by extension the attached court. Can even be used for less obvious bodyguard duty (say if you need to draw out the assassin, or the subject is difficult with known bodyguards). Will need all Knowledges and Profession (Teacher).

Yes I know that a more traditional, simple merchant can be useful (my mind goes to the character Silk of the Belgariad/Mallorean and his alter egos), but I must admit a preference for more exotic characters...

Troacctid
2015-05-28, 02:14 AM
A priest of a prominent church, or an eccentric nobleman. They both worked pretty well in The Count of Monte Cristo.

Telonius
2015-05-28, 05:19 AM
Gardener, Waiter, and Maid are classic ones.

Gardener is supposed to be carrying sharp objects and can do all the outside reconnaissance that's needed. Knowledge (Nature), Profession (Landscaper) or Craft (Gardener), and maybe Spot could be good for this.

Waiter can mingle in an elite crowd and slip anything into a drink if necessary. The really good ones are almost invisible, and can listen in without the targets realizing. Hide, Move Silently, Balance, Listen, Sleight of Hand, that skill trick that lets you repeat something exactly, and maybe Profession (Sommelier).

Maids have access to all of the rooms in the house. They can also be unobtrusive - or not, if you need blackmail material on the target. Move Silently, Craft (Maid), Search, Disable Device, and the social skills.

Darrin
2015-05-28, 08:03 AM
Iron Chef LV: Mountebank (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=17236894&postcount=259) is probably worth a look.

Telonius
2015-05-28, 10:14 AM
Another option would be somebody that isn't found out because people don't want to think about them. Mortician might be one of them. Sense Motive, Craft (Taxidermy), Profession (funeral director), Knowledge (Religion), Knowledge (Local), and Gather Information could help there.

Tax Collector could work there, too. Knowledge (Nobility), Sense Motive, Intimidate, Forgery to produce your documentation. (I would say that papers identifying you as a tax collector ought to count as a masterwork tool for Intimidate checks).

Or, you could go with the classic "traveling performer" thing. Pick an art form - Court Jester, musician, opera singer, sculptor, painter, underwater basket weaver, whatever. Put a bunch of ranks in Perform or Craft. Forgery, Disguise, and Bluff if you're trying to pass yourself off as a real artist. Knowledge (Nobility) to name-drop famous "patrons." Knowledge (Geography) if you're pretending to be from several kingdoms away.

Avigor
2015-05-28, 01:48 PM
Oooh nice ideas so far...

Of course, after posting I realized an effective, if potentially immature, option:
Adult Entertainer. Perform (Dance), Profession (Masseuse, Therapist), Sense Motive and Diplomacy. You don't call them, they call you... :tongue: