PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Questions about Dervish Dance/Slashing Grace an Oracle stat allocation

AmbientRaven
2015-05-28, 04:59 AM
Hi Folks,

I'm building a dex based combat cleric and I had two questions which googling couldn't find me answers on.

The character is the front line, So is built as a front line fighter that buffs in round 1, and heals after the battle.
It is a Dual cursed Metal Oracle (lame and Haunted, with progression in haunted)

First Question
The first is my stats. 15pt Buy start. I will get a further +2 to a stat (dex) from Human race, then either +2Dex or +2Cha from my characters starting country (Custom campaign Trait. THhe +2 dex suits my characters background as well)

Str: 13 Dex:14 Con 12: Int: 12 Wis: 8 Cha: 14
This allows me to get power attack

Str: 10 Dex:14 Con 14: Int: 12 Wis: 8 Cha: 14
No power attack, 1 more con

It seems worthwhile to drop 2 con points to gain the 13 strength. not only will this up carry weight (meaning I stay lightly encumbered so can gain full dex to armour bonus) it means I can easily take power attack. It does mean worse HP and worse Combat casting modifiers

Second Question
I am looking, as I mentioned, at making a dex fighter (due to story reasons, and so I am less MAD).

I'm torn between Dancing Dervish and Slashing Grace (Shortsword).
Dervish Dance is less feat intensive. Slashing Grace needs an extra feat, but allows me to gain dex to damage while still using a shield (buckler means I can two hand short sword if needed. Or I can take a larger shield than a buckler.

Thanks for the feedback!

Yanisa
2015-05-28, 09:25 AM
What sources are allowed? If your DM is open about anything Paizo published you could consider Piranha Strike (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/piranha-strike-combat) instead of Power Attack. Works only with light weapons though, more on that later.

As for your feat choices, do remember that Slashing Grace only works for non-light weapon and has weapon finesse as prerequisite. There is a way around it by, the Effortless Lace (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/magic-weapons/specific-magic-weapons/effortless-lace) allows you thread one-handed slashing/piercing weapons (such as a short sword) be threated as light-weapon, but that means slashing grace either forces a dead feat on you or cost you money. This route does mean it also works with Piranha Strike, allow you to drop strength.

Another option is Fencing Grace (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/fencing-grace-combat) which is like Slashing Grace except it only works for Rapiers which are weapons that can be used with Weapon Finesse. Sadly Piranha Strike doesn't work this way, but it at least ensures weapon finesse won't be wasted.

AmbientRaven
2015-05-28, 10:50 AM
Paizo core, setting specific stuff must be OK'd

Piranah wont work with Scimitar my GM said, as it isnt light

I am thinking the strength option is the best way

Secret Wizard
2015-05-28, 10:56 AM
1. Slashing Grace (Shortsword) is not a valid option. It only works with one-handed weapons, not light weapons. Perhaps this will be changed in future errata... anyway, if your DM allows it its fine I guess.
You still don't want to use a shield with it though. Weapon Finesse says you'd get your shield ACP as a penalty to your attack.

2. Here's another stat layout:

STR 14
DEX 10
CON 14
INT 10
WIS 8
CHA 15

(This is before racial... you could put that +2 to STR and get the +2 CHA from race, then top off CHA to 18 at 4th level)

First level, pick up Skill At Arms as a Revelation. Use Heavy Armor. Then you have more or equivalent AC than a 14 DEX medium armor user, have a much higher CMB to make use of, can benefit from Dance of Blades or whatever that's called at 3rd level to get back to full movement speed.

You could get Noble Scion at first level for Charisma-to-initiative to act faster in combat, as well.

Plus, you are free to use something like an Earthbreaker or a Greatsword, which benefit greatly from Lead Blades, your revelation spell... much more so than a scimitar.