PDA

View Full Version : Mark of Justice + Uncanny Forethought = ?

Uncle Pine
2015-05-28, 06:31 AM
What happens if you combine Mark of Justice and Uncanny Forethought? Mark of Justice says:

Since this spell takes 10 minutes to cast and involves writing on the target, you can cast it only on a creature that is willing or restrained.
But you're casting it as a full-round action. Does it mean that combining the two you can cast an "obey-or-suck" spell [Int modifier] times a day?

Assume a Wizard X/Rainbow Servant 10 as the caster (or a Wizard 1/Cleric X, if you prefer).

Mark of Justice
Necromancy
Level: Clr 5, Pal 4
Components: V, S, DF
Casting Time: 10 minutes
Range: Touch
Target: Creature touched
Duration: Permanent; see text
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: Yes
You draw an indelible mark on the subject and state some behavior on the part of the subject that will activate the mark. When activated, the mark curses the subject. Typically, you designate some sort of criminal behavior that activates the mark, but you can pick any act you please. The effect of the mark is identical with the effect of bestow curse.

Since this spell takes 10 minutes to cast and involves writing on the target, you can cast it only on a creature that is willing or restrained.

Like the effect of bestow curse, a mark of justice cannot be dispelled, but it can be removed with a break enchantment, limited wish, miracle, remove curse, or wish spell. Remove curse works only if its caster level is equal to or higher than your mark of justice caster level. These restrictions apply regardless of whether the mark has activated.
Uncanny Forethought

( Exemplars of Evil, p. 26)

[General]

You cunningly prepare your spells for any exigency.
Prerequisite
Spell Mastery (PH) , INT 17,
Benefit
When preparing your daily allotment of spells, you can reserve a number of spell slots equal to your Intelligence modifier. As a standard action, you can use one of these slots to cast a spell that you selected for the Spell Mastery feat. The level of the slot used must be equal to or greater than the level of the spell you intend to cast.
Alternatively, as a full-round action, you can use a reserved slot to cast any spell that you know. The spell is resolved as normal, but for the purpose of the spell, your caster level is reduced by two. The level of the slot used must be equal to or greater than the level of the spell you intend to cast.
Emphasis mine.

For the sake of comparison, Geas/Quest (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/geasQuest.htm)'s description doesn't include the problematic sentence, although it's a much weaker alternative than Mark of Justice.

foobar1969
2015-05-28, 07:28 AM
Interesting and creative idea, therefore I'd say go for it. However, you still need to write on the target, which is a lot more difficult than just a melee touch. I'd call it either an unarmed strike (finger paint) or improvised weapon (quill pen) attack vs full AC; writing on their armor isn't good enough.

Story
2015-05-28, 09:26 PM
There are a lot of spells with long casting times intended to make them willing or restrained only. Infallible Servant from EoE comes to mind.

Flickerdart
2015-05-28, 10:16 PM
There are lots of spells with very complex somatic components that are nevertheless cast within the span of 6 seconds.

Grod_The_Giant
2015-05-29, 10:06 AM
RAW? You can cast it as a full-round action (Uncanny Forethought doesn't specify "or the original casting time, whichever is longer"), but you can still only cast it on a creature who's willing or restrained.

Uncle Pine
2015-05-29, 10:45 AM
RAW? You can cast it as a full-round action (Uncanny Forethought doesn't specify "or the original casting time, whichever is longer"), but you can still only cast it on a creature who's willing or restrained.

This is the point: I'm pretty sure that casting MoJ as a standards action negates the fact that it needs to be cast on willing and/or restrained targets because it negates the premise of "since", but I'm not a native English speaker so I don't know for certain if English logic works this way.

And yes, I know that bringing a vocabulary to a d&d game is silly, but this being just a theoretical hypothesis let's bring the Commoner railgun to the swordfight anyway.

Heliomance
2015-05-29, 11:01 AM
Alternatively, just cast Entangle. There, they're restrained.

jiriku
2015-05-29, 11:18 AM
Let's say:
T = Ten minutes to cast
W = Requires writing on target
R = Target must be restrained or willing

You could parse it as either:
(a) If both T & W, then R
(b) If either T or W, then R

Now, (a) is the literal grammatical meaning of the sentence, but common usage in English is to write it that way when you mean either (a) or (b). So grammatically, the answer is ambiguous. As a DM I'd tend to rule that you still need a restrained or willing target because you still need a stable writing surface. However, I'd interpret "restrained" in a much more relaxed fashion since you only need about six seconds of a stable writing surface.