PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder A discussion of hybrids

Xuldarinar
2015-05-28, 10:43 AM
Darkvision: Though uncommon, some groups of elves are born with dark vision, rather than low-light vision. In many cases this is taken as a sign of a drow in the elf's ancestry, and can lead to persecution within the elf's home community.-

Under Pathfinder, a limited number of hybrids are discussed yet there are many that theoretically could exist yet.. no statistics mention them, or if they are mentioned it is in a place perhaps often overlooked. What hybrids do you think there aught to be discussion of? What is possible and what isn't? From the quote above, we know drow and elves can intermingle, or at least elves seem to think so, but I'd think that one would be common sense.

Ninjaxenomorph
2015-05-28, 11:17 AM
Since they are both elves (and drow can be created from normal elves), in that case, I'd either have the offspring be one or the other, perhaps with alternate racial features to represent this.

Hrugner
2015-05-28, 12:49 PM
Darksun had Muls, which were half dwarf. I don't know why they didn't catch on. Quarterlings and double hobbits show up as a joke occasionally, but I don't think they've ever been statted.

Psyren
2015-05-28, 01:10 PM
Since they are both elves (and drow can be created from normal elves), in that case, I'd either have the offspring be one or the other, perhaps with alternate racial features to represent this.

This is the simplest way to do it. Have the phenotype largely conform to one parent or the other, perhaps with a few cosmetic details hinting at the duality (for example, an elf with tan skin and pure white hair would suggest drow parentage) and then throw in an alternate racial or two.

Note that humans can have a very wide variety of influences, represented mechanically by the Racial Heritage feat.

Xuldarinar
2015-05-28, 01:51 PM
Well racial heritage confirms just about that humans can mix with anything else humanoid at least. If it were permitted for other humanoid races to take, then that would really expand things a lot and make things pretty simple.

What we lack is most other combinations and true half for humans with most things.

Kind of wish bastards and bloodlines got a pathfinder update.. That would expand options a bit.
Are there any two races confirmed to be unable to mix?

Lord_Gareth
2015-05-28, 02:35 PM
Kind of wish bastards and bloodlines got a pathfinder update.. That would expand options a bit.

It did. Matt & I wrote it. Name o' Bloodforge.

PsyBomb
2015-05-28, 02:40 PM
It did. I wrote it. Name o' Bloodforge.

The author beat me to it. Short version, it has more than twenty half-breeds, plus six-ish templates, a bunch of feats, some items, and a couple of PrCs focusing on mixed heritage. I have a section for it on every class guide I've written, tons of unique options

Xuldarinar
2015-05-28, 02:42 PM
It did. Matt & I wrote it. Name o' Bloodforge.

...I just have one thing to say:
http://i2.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/005/574/futurama.jpg

Akadzjian
2015-05-28, 06:43 PM
...I just have one thing to say:
http://i2.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/005/574/futurama.jpg
Just wanted to drop in here and say, "Hi, I'm Matt. You guys made my day!" Seriously, thanks for the kind words.

But just wait, it's gonna get sexier and better. Ironing out the rough edges and the artist is awesome-ing all over the pages with new, sleeker, more amazing art that inarguably shows he'll be competing with Reynolds before long.

Milo v3
2015-05-28, 09:59 PM
One type of hybrid I like that paizo didn't forget is aasimar, tieflings (and I think dhampir). In their respective splats they mention about how you can have dwarf aasimar and halfling tieflings and stuff, and give you mechanics on how to do so... admittedly they are flawed mechanics. If you have a halfling aasimar or dwarf tiefling, it's speed stays at 30 ft.

grarrrg
2015-05-29, 12:15 AM
Quarterlings and double hobbits show up as a joke occasionally, but I don't think they've ever been statted.

I could have sworn I read something official that said Humans and Halflings can breed, you just wind up with a Human or a Halfling, as they aren't all that different ('genetics-wise' different).

Molosse
2015-05-29, 03:46 AM
PF's rule of the thumb seems to be:

Human + Anything = Ok
Dragon + Anything = Ok
Outsider + Anything = Ok
Ogres + Anything = *Squick* Ok

Psyren
2015-05-29, 07:44 AM
One type of hybrid I like that paizo didn't forget is aasimar, tieflings (and I think dhampir). In their respective splats they mention about how you can have dwarf aasimar and halfling tieflings and stuff, and give you mechanics on how to do so... admittedly they are flawed mechanics. If you have a halfling aasimar or dwarf tiefling, it's speed stays at 30 ft.

Several angels (including Astral Devas, Modavic Devas, Movanic Devas and Solars) have land speeds above 30 so it's not that surprising that an aasimar-halfling is faster than a regular one.

Milo v3
2015-05-29, 07:51 AM
Several angels (including Astral Devas, Modavic Devas, Movanic Devas and Solars) have land speeds above 30 so it's not that surprising that an aasimar-halfling is faster than a regular one.

Ah, but what if you're a dwarf rakshasa tiefling :smallbiggrin:

Psyren
2015-05-29, 07:56 AM
Ah, but what if you're a dwarf rakshasa tiefling :smallbiggrin:

Don't Rakshasa have 40ft. move?

Milo v3
2015-05-29, 07:59 AM
Don't Rakshasa have 40ft. move?

Well that was a terrible example then :smalltongue:

Halfling Peri Aasimar then.

Psyren
2015-05-29, 08:10 AM
The things that can teleport? Close enough for me :smalltongue:

Taveena
2015-05-29, 08:41 AM
I could have sworn I read something official that said Humans and Halflings can breed, you just wind up with a Human or a Halfling, as they aren't all that different ('genetics-wise' different).

Also no stat changes. A Gnome Angelkin Aasimar has +2 strength, +2 cha, despite being small sized (and thus scoring +2 to hit from race.) They're SURPRISINGLY POTENT.