PDA

View Full Version : Base Attack Bonus / Base Magic Bonus Concept

CrazyNoob
2015-05-28, 11:03 AM
Hello all,

The reason for this is, the players in my group that plays casters often, generally roll really poor for basically everything. We've gone and changed out dies every other session, fudge rolls to help compensate, rolling on different materials, pinch-rolling, lowering DCs incrementally, bring lucky charms, only thing we havn't done is exorcism and the such.

I've been toying around the idea of a Base Magic Bonus attack system for magic similar to the BAB for physical attacks

The idea is, you can stack class BMB like BABs when you multi-class, the BMB would replace the Caster Level portion in spells.
Best BMB 20 (clerics, wiz/Sorc)
Good BMB 15 (Bards)
Poor BMB 10 (Rangers/Paladins)
Worst BMB 5 (Adepts)

Example a 7Wiz/5Clr character would have a BMB of +12, and a BAB of +6, Casting Stoneskin: effect will be DR 10/adamantine up to 120 HP, rather than 70 HP for 120 mins instead of 70 min.

Cure critical wounds, would heal 4d8+12 instead of 4d8+5

Using a Teleport Scroll DC 30 (20+10MinCL), Roll 1d20+12 instead of 1d20+7

Would this ultimately make Caster's far more powerful?

What other butterfly effect would happen if this change was implemented?

Comments and opinions are welcome.

Regards

Flickerdart
2015-05-28, 11:06 AM
This makes casters marginally better since they can multiclass more effectively, but the casters that are problematic will not lose any CLs to begin with.

Why the hate for bards, though? They're full CL casters but you're downgrading them to 3/4.

Extra Anchovies
2015-05-28, 12:06 PM
I agree with Flickerdart about Bards.

Also, all this is doing is making multiclass spellcasters better, because they don't need to take Practiced Spellcaster. This is (probably) a good thing.

Pluto!
2015-05-28, 12:35 PM
This was done well in a 3.5 variant called Trailblazer. I never really tried to exploit it, but the system was fun.