PDA

View Full Version : Warhammer Fantasy - Dwarves Discussion

Cikomyr
2015-05-28, 12:41 PM
A friend and I have been enjoying the Warhammer Mod for Crusader Kings 2. It provides lots of varied gameplay options based on your species.

Currently playing as the Dwarves, trying to reclaim the High Kingdom of Karak Ankhor from the pesky greenskins and Beastmen (skavens havent been implimented yet).

So we got discussing about how the game should be.implementing Dwarven culture as parts of its mechanics, and we got on to the topic of Dwarven Religion (Ancestor worship, basically). For some reason, the Dwarven Pope is actually the nominal High King in this game, even if the High Kingdom hasnt been reformed. Basically a powerless title, that still represents the Dwarven Moral authority.

Okay, i can get behind that. Basically respecting your ancestors's achievements and social structure by paying devout service to the High King, even if doesnt have the power to boss you around.

However, we got talking about the implementation of Runes and Runesmiths, and my friend insisted they should be some sort of Priest. And i got thinking about what exactly is a Dwarven Priest in an Ancestor-worship society.

Seeing the Dwarves' obsession with old grudges, promises and deeds, i could see the Dwarven Priests to be some sort of Lorekeepers. Keeping and studying ancient history to remember the achievements of the Ancestors. But then... Where do the Runesmiths fit?

Maybe Runelore is the ultimate Ancient Knowledge, giving them some priestly status. Or maybe they are just revered Craftsmen?

Closet_Skeleton
2015-05-28, 02:11 PM
In the Gotrek and Felix books, Dwarfs had priests and gods just like humans did. Grungni and some healing goddess I can't remember the name of. They might be deified ancestors but that's still a type of god, ancestor worship being complicated like that.

I haven't read a dwarf army book in over a decade so have no idea what they're normally like. Most of the human pantheon never turns up on the table top either so its not like there not being priests in the dwarven armies means anything.

Runesmiths are not priests. They're craftsmen who use a type of magic.

Killer Angel
2015-05-28, 03:28 PM
However, we got talking about the implementation of Runes and Runesmiths, and my friend insisted they should be some sort of Priest. And i got thinking about what exactly is a Dwarven Priest in an Ancestor-worship society.

Well, we could imagine Runes as a sort of blessing by the Gods, or Runesmiths as dwarves blessed by Gods with divine magic. Complicated rituals, and a kind of magic that you cannot cast during battles.

thorgrim29
2015-05-28, 03:34 PM
Dwarves aren't really the mystic type though. They have gods and a priesthood, but I don't recall religion having a great importance in the fluff, maybe because the gods are sort of their first ancestors and are revered privately? They seem to treat runesmithing like a science much more then an art or a ritual.

Cikomyr
2015-05-28, 07:35 PM
Okay. Very weird question:

If a Dwarf holds a Grudge, and he has a chance to reek vengeance on the culprit (or his 7th descendant, for that matter), but the only way of doing it would somehow require him to shave his beard...

Would he do it? Is the Grudge more important than the Beard?

thorgrim29
2015-05-28, 08:54 PM
Unless for some reason the dwarf learns that the War of Vengence and all the calamities that followed were the fault of Malekith and Nagash and was in position to kill both of them, all orcs and all skaven at the same time then no.

brionl
2015-05-29, 11:11 AM
Okay. Very weird question:

If a Dwarf holds a Grudge, and he has a chance to reek vengeance on the culprit (or his 7th descendant, for that matter), but the only way of doing it would somehow require him to shave his beard...

Would he do it? Is the Grudge more important than the Beard?

That's what the various Slayers, troll, giant, etc do. Vengeance so important that they shave their beards, leave their clans & homes and hit the road.

Cikomyr
2015-05-29, 12:02 PM
That's what the various Slayers, troll, giant, etc do. Vengeance so important that they shave their beards, leave their clans & homes and hit the road.

No. Slayers are dishonored dwarves who seeks redemption in glorious death.

Said dishonor may involve a Grudge, but it may not.

thorgrim29
2015-05-29, 12:21 PM
And it's their hair they shave, not their beard. Very important distinction