PDA

View Full Version : Curiouser and Curiouser

littlebum2002
2015-05-28, 12:52 PM
As Curiosity is having a good natured chat, no one seems to want to talk about the metaphorical elephant in the room. It seems as if everyone in the group understands the tremendous burden they have been placed underbut no one wants to, or can't, talk about it. Or maybe they just don't need to, maybe speaking it out loud will make it more real. If you ignore something long enough, it goes away...doesn't it?

unseenmage
2015-06-02, 12:27 PM
Curiosity continues to chat with the group as they make their way to an armory shop to sell the shield then a moneychanger to count out his friend's shares.

He then procures a pen and inkwell before excusing himself from his new companions to draft a letter. Though if any wish to stick around he does not dissuade them, especially if one of them happens to be a scribe. It is kind of nice to have companions he knows without a doubt that he can explicitly trust.

littlebum2002
2015-06-03, 10:53 AM
I figure instead of making a OOC thread, we'll just do OOC's in spoilers.

I figured you'd probably want an NPC companion. I was trying to find a way to get James Howler (our AWOL poster's shifter character) with you, but it depends on exactly what Sir Henry has in store for Hals Martain. Otherwise, I'll try to get you a "chosen race" NPC companion that can help you, maybe Castor? THat way I don't have to create anyone new and besides it would make sense (we'll retroactively went with you to the market)

Give me your thoughts before I post IC

unseenmage
2015-06-03, 11:07 AM
Agreed on the OOC in spoilers. And sorry for the late reply. New baby appointments and other summer-beginning craziness had me busy.

Castor would be perfect actually. Especially as I'm already largely familiar with his capabilities.

Originally I'd typed up this long sprawling IC post that basically contained the entirety of the idea for into-ing the grippli but I decided to give you bits of it more slowly instead. :smallsmile:

littlebum2002
2015-06-03, 11:25 AM
Castor it is. And depending on what Sir Henry has planned for Halas, I might have James meet you as well. You could use a meatshield, no lie.

Also, I'm going to have full control of Castor, but I've never played an artificer and have no idea how they work beyond "reading the class description every time Castor tried to do something", so while I have a vague idea of their class abilities I'm sure you know more than I do, so feel free to offer suggestions.

EDIT: Also also, remember this thread is going to be on a different timeline than the other thread. If we post a lot here and a week goes by IC in a week's time OOC, I'm not going to fast forward them ahead a week. 4 people are always going to have a slower posting speed than 2 (due to SOMEONE always having a life issue), so we'll take our time in here and if we get to the point where Curiosity meets back with the gang before they do, we'll just pause and wait.

The entire crowd parts, except one: Castor, the quiet artificer who shared in the adventures on the Golden Dragon. Curiosity hadn't even noticed he was there from all the loud characters commanding most of his attention. He matches your speed and, while walking, whispers out of the corner of his mouth so as to hopefully not be noticed by any observers:

I don't think you slipped away from the group just to sell a shield, Curiosity. Do you have any plans I should be aware of?

unseenmage
2015-06-03, 01:07 PM
"Friend Castor! It I'd good that you are here. I was just about to draft a letter to our other friends."

Curiosity explains his intention to leave Skitter to their former allies' safekeeping. "Unlike your homunculi Skitter isn't a part of me. He also isn't free willed yet I still feel that he is more my friend than some mere thing."

Curiosity hangs his head, "I fear he just won't be welcome at Argonnessen."

littlebum2002
2015-06-03, 02:25 PM
That is quite the conundrum. Yes, my mental link with my creations makes them more like my own limbs than companions, but yours is more complicated... Maybe your little friend would be better off staying.

At this, Castor gives you a wink.

unseenmage
2015-06-04, 02:07 AM
Curiosity raises an eyebrow in confusion at the wink but otherwise moves on to write his letter.

In the letter he explains that he is going away. That he cannot tell them where. That he cannot bring his Friends. He asks them to care for Skitter and then he begins the arduous task of noting every command he has ever input into the little Construct. Commands to activate, deactivate, defend, attack, and fetch etc both verbal and tactile. He had even begun teaching the little Construct some hand signs but had come up against limits in its wee memory.

littlebum2002
2015-06-05, 04:10 PM
You should probably mention in your letter that I am travelling with you. That it was a sudden matter of great urgency or such. Hopefully they will refrain from trying to track us down.

unseenmage
2015-06-05, 09:01 PM
Curiosity nods somewhat solemnly and adds a 'PS care of Castor' section to the letter.

"I'm glad you'll be accompanying me Friend Castor. It will be good to have a trusted ally along for the journey."

Once the letter is finished Curiosity asks around seeking the best courier available.
"Do you have any info on where I might find a skilled courier in this city Friend Castor?"

littlebum2002
2015-06-10, 10:34 AM
A city guardsman tells Curiosity to ask at the Orien enclave. Curiosity and Castor follow the man's directions there, and again ask for the best curior they have.
The man behind the desk points to a... well, a frog sitting in a chair in the corner.

unseenmage
2015-06-11, 12:26 AM
Eying the creature Curiosity shrugs and surreptitiously draws one of the new wands. The frog might look shady but luckily Curiosity has the means by which to make anyone trustworthy.
Coming up behind the little frog man he waits for his best opportunity and hits it with one charge of the wand's charm magic.

The frog man shakes his head as Curiosity steps into its line of sight, "Hello Friend. I am in need of a courier. I have here some packages which need delivered as soon as possible no matter what. Do you think you're up to the task?"

Nodding wide eyed, the frog man replies, "Yes-yes. This I can do. I am Ajar, courier extra-or-di-nary."[color to be decided] It's unclear if his speech is broken on purpose or because he has a limited grasp of the language. Regardless the little frog person bows awkwardly but with a charming flair.

The grippli named Ajar, as it describes itself, leads Curiosity and Castor to a more private corner to negotiate. Curiosity passes over two packages labelled with names, secures Skitter in a small sack, and hands Ajar the letter. [COLOR="#8B4513"]"These items must be delivered to their recipients as soon as possible no matter what. Will this be a problem?"

Ajar assures Curiosity that it wouldn't be a problem. Curiosity explains where Sir Henry and Quailee can be found (roughly). For his part Ajar calls a pale white-skinned glidewing down from the ceiling, mounts it , and waves as he flies it out the door. "Oh, one supposes that would make deliveries more efficient."

His business concluded Curiosity rubs the empty hole in his hand absently as he asks Castor, "Well Friend Castor, where to now? One supposes that with these wands we could easily obtain passage to our destination. I was deciding where to pirate from when you found me actually."

Moving this right along so as to include Ajar in the actual game asap. :smallsmile:

Having some writer's block in leveling him up actually. Should have him ready in a day or so RL permitting.
Should I up the value of Ajar's wealth appropriate to his new level too using the chart in the DMG for PC wealth by level?

What colors are being used in our game at the moment. With so many coming and going I'm having the most trouble figuring out what color an Albino Grippli should speak in since Curiosity has my usual color choice taken up.

unseenmage
2015-06-12, 12:59 AM
Ajar is leveled up! Have a few gp left to spend but he's about as leveled up as he's going to get for now.

Should I send him crashing through a high window in the chamber Quailee and Sir Henry are talking in? Or should you be the one doing that?

Additionally, Curiosity's whole plan was to find the fastest air vessel and pirate it by dominating the captain and having them fly Curiosity to the destination.
With Castor there now there are enough "hands" that the two of them and Castor's menagerie should be able to pilot an entire airship by themselves.

Also possible that they could take on a crew and passengers comprised entirely of newly dragonmarked races.

Also, no clue how much gp Curiosity is sending to Quailee and Sir Henry nor how much Curiosity and Castor are keeping. Might also be some defunct PCs who deserve a cut like Golden Brow too.

littlebum2002
2015-06-12, 04:20 PM
Well, we can always fly Alpha, who should get there without tiring, but flying on the back of a creature isn't exactly the safest or fastest way of travelling. We could try to find someone who can teleport us, but considering our late group is trying to accomplish the same goal, that may be an issue. Or, we are at a port after all, so we can just charter a boat. I'm sure we can convince House Lyrandar to get us even there for the right amount of coin.

I don't want to take over your character too much. Also, when Ajar ends up announcing himself to the party, I'll let you take care of it, so you can read the note to them, etc.

I also don't know if Castor is able to teleport. I hope he isnt.

These are the colors I'd rather you not use. Any other characters are leaving soon, and if they do come back I'll just change the fonts if necesary
Castor
Qailee
Sir Henry
Halas Martain

unseenmage
2015-06-17, 03:18 PM
"Either method is fine by me. There is safety in numbers though and two 'forged on effigy-back might prove a tasty treat for some of the larger predators of the skies."

"By the way Friend Castor, do you by chance have a means of disguising yourself or should we shop for you a device similar to my own?", to punctuate his statement Curiosity reaches up and taps one of the stylized scars on the top of his head. With that tap he activates his Embedded Hat of Disguise and makes himself appear as a middle aged human. His new persona is that of a retiree and layabout come into some cash in a gambling house. Or so he tells Castor in a high pitched whining voice, another affectation.

Wide eyed with mock naivete Curiosity's illusory face proclaims with a wave of his hands, "Come Friend! Let us away to find our destiny on a far off shore!"