PDA

View Full Version : Of where we go, and what we Become...

Mr. X
2015-05-28, 05:01 PM
Sidira

"Remember, always let your conscience be your guide."
--Jiminy Cricket

... SERVE...

You were made to serve your mistress. To fill her every need, and obey her every command...

... KILL...

By order of your mistress, let her enemies be driven before you like lambs before a wolf... Let them be slaughtered by your hand, and rent limb from limb...

---------
Across the battlefield, the shouts and screams of men fighting and dying echo through your head... Their soft bodies like putty in your grasp...

... But you are short on time... Your spring winds low, as the enemy's countless numbers swarm through the city...

The fires burn brightly about, and as you turn to race to your mistress' side, the wooden supports of a building give way, collapsing upon you in a storm of shattering stone, splintering wood, and dust...

... It is heavy, even for you, but your mistress is in danger, and you will not be stopped... If only you had more time...

Wrenching yourself free from the wreckage, you take a step, and then another... When your spring winds down... And sleep comes upon you...

-------------

*click click click click*... *tick*... *tick*... *tick*...

"Τι στο διάολο" (What the hell?!)

In a moment, your wakefulness is upon you.

The shouts of battle can be still heard distantly... Perhaps you still have time.

"είναι κινέω!" (It's moving!)

Three of the feeble enemies surround you... From one of them comes a thunderous bang, and a flash of fire, and something strikes you hard in the head.

You take damage: [roll0]

Please roll initiative, and take your first action.

Raunchel
2015-05-29, 11:02 AM
I am confused. A loud noise, and something slamming into me. Such noise. I have never heard it before. But I can move. I have fallen, I was standing mere moments ago. I was winding down, has it all been lost? Have I collapsed? Where is the mistress? I do not know. But these beings are my enemies. They must be. They speak strangely, barely understandable. Which dialect is it? I do not recognize it. Are they barbarians?

It is irrelevant. I must find Her. There is no other way. My eyes open, the bronze lids sliding aside to show this world. I hardly pause to think, I have so little time. I rise, lifting my great weight from the ground as I slam one of my fists into an enemy. Then I notice. My paint. It is gone. I am unpainted, only bare metal, not even fully preserved. There are dark spots of decay. I have to burn, to stand in the fires of the forge, to make me whole again. I see my foes, they are barbarians. They have to be. No one civilized would wear clothes like that, and I have never seen them before. But through all the confusion and questions one thing burns through my head. I have to destroy Her enemies.

I decided to make her made of bronze, as it was the metal used for sculptures back then.
Initiative: [roll0]

And an attack against whoever is closest to her. [roll1], damage: [roll2]

Mr. X
2015-05-31, 02:42 AM
Catching the barbarian by the face, his skull crushing like an eggshell in your grasp, you hurl his bloody remains to the flood.

Behind, the other barbarians shriek and panic, blindly fleeing in all directions away from you.

Far off, you can hear the shouts and chants of battle going on outside, if you can only find the exit...

Raunchel
2015-05-31, 10:24 AM
I start to walk, dust falling off me, some even washed away by blood. My body appears green, it shouldn't be. I always keep it finely polished before I paint myself. Time has passed, but I do not know how much. There also are scratches, I look damaged. How long has it been? Where am I?

I look around, and know that I am in the wrong place. Everything is different. Even the air. And the sounds, they are strange. I look for an exit, I have to orient myself, to find Her. Where is it?

Mr. X
2015-06-01, 03:43 AM
Where am I? How long has it been?

The questions circle through your mind, but you can come up with no solid answer...

The building around you is strange... Some repository of arcane artifacts, you presume... But such was not the building that fell on you...

... You must have been moved... But if you were moved, then much time must have passed...

You look down to your gore soaked hand.

who did you just kill?

The question hangs in the air as your briefly wound spring gives its final turn, and darkness takes you once more.

If you would like to post any response to this, you are welcome to. If not, or after you do so, please select the next character you'd like to follow. (Hannah or Sister Agnes.)

Raunchel
2015-06-01, 05:26 AM
Too many questions, always questions. And no answers. I take another step forwards, I have to find Her, but time is running out. I step forwards, looking, thinking about where to...

Nothing

Again we take the traditional method:

1. Hannah
2: Agnes

[roll0]

Mr. X
2015-06-01, 05:36 PM
Sister Agnes

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and the door shall be opened unto you."-- Matthew 7:7

The sun shines brightly over St. Peter's square as you take a moment to sit after morning mass.

In the distance you can hear the chorus of the choir, singing hymns in the Basilica... Their solemn orations lending a sense of peace over what should be a perfect day.

... But your heart is troubled...

The bishop who conducted morning mass gave a very thoughtful sermon on the troubles facing the world... And they are many...

... Many more than even he might realize...

The face of the devil is rarely directly apparent, but his influence is seen the world over: Corruption through governments and church alike the world over, peaceful events turning suddenly violent, the rise of terrorism, be it Islamic or Christian, or otherwise...

... As Christ walked among us, so to, clearly, does the Prince of lies... To battle him takes more than merely exorcising his minions when they show themselves.

Pondering this, you stand, and move toward your post in the library, pausing to pick up an espresso and a newspaper.

The headline informs you that there was some unrest in Greece the previous day... Several hundred Muslims and Christians had gathered to protest an American film which made light of their beliefs... It appears that the protest was peaceful for the most part, though some minor vandalism and looting occurred, and apparently, one looter was killed attempting to break into a museum.

There is always more trouble, it seems.

Turning, you make your way toward the library. Passing though it's grand facade, and passed innumerable shelves, you turn into its rear chambers. Through a hidden door, you descend into its depths. Passed heavy security, and even more locked storerooms, you come to your office here, deep in the bowels of the Bibliotheca Librum Incendere... The Library of Burned Books.

Sitting, and setting aside your paper, you return to work on the tome you've been studying... A ponderous tome discussing Russian folklore of witches and evil spirits. (Baba Yaga and Kaschei the Deathless, being the most famous.)

Unfortunately, of all the wide and varied languages you speak, Old Russian isn't one of them, and the translations available for the book are dubious at best... You'll need to work on it.

You have only just begun pouring over the book when a soft tap at the door interrupts you, and you look up to see the swirling red robes of Cardinal Vassini standing in the door before you.

"Forgive my intrusion, Sister, might I have a moment of your time?"

Raunchel
2015-06-02, 09:26 AM
Agnes

All my days are the same, if one looks at them from a distance. And that is good. Organisation like that brings order to the day, and order allows me to focus. And focus is what I need. For my duties, to God, to the Holy Mother Church, my own order and humanity itself. Sometimes I don't like them, and now is one of those times. Languages like Russian are rarely studied, it is like the other languages of peoples who have abandoned the Faith, the Church mainly concerns itself with the areas where she retains a strong presence.

And all this news, from all over the world. Of violence, death and war. It frightens me, especially because of the secrets that I know. I know some of the dark forces that are at work, and I know that there are more that are not known yet to me. My position is not a high one, and my superiors have to be careful with what they know. The less people know, the better. Otherwise it might take a hold on them.

My working place is simple, one might even call it Spartan. But that is no issue, I am used to it, and if I'm honest, I don't like luxury, as it distracts from my duties.

When I see the cardinal, I immediately stand up and turn to face him, casting my eyes downwards. I am sworn to humility and obedience, and I will never break those vows.

"Of course, your eminence, what do you require?", I speak with barely more than a whisper to not disturb anyone.

Mr. X
2015-06-02, 01:32 PM
Carinal Vassini returns a slight bow, crossing himself.

Deus tecum, Sister, may God be with you."

He places a stuffed manila envelope on you desk, and slides it over to you.

"I know we do not typically assign you field work, but a minor situation has arisen, and we are short handed at the moment.

Tomorrow morning, you depart for Peru, to a small village near lake Chinchaychoca. The local friar, Father Simõn, is insistent that that one of the village children has become demonically possessed, and that the villagers have become terrified.

Your purpose in this, is merely to determine the legitimacy of the claim.

Do not discount, in rural and superstitious areas, mental illness is frequently mistaken for demonic possession. It will be important for you to determine whether whatever ails the child is of medical or spiritual nature.

Should you feel that the nature of the child's ailment is demonic, you may contact us here in Rome, and a certified exorcist shall be sent to aid you."

He digs in his robes for a moment, producing a small, leather bound book, which he hands to you.

"This is the latest edition of the Rituale Romanum, the Roman Rituals, and contains what has been agreed to be many of the most effective rites for conducting an exorcism.

I give you this that, should you deem an exorcism to be immediately necessary, you may attempt to conduct it yourself. In that event, though, you'll need to seek authorization from the reigning bishop in Lima before you do."

He straitens, and takes a step back, indicating his intent to depart.

"I suspect this should be a simple matter. May I trust that you can manage it?"

Raunchel
2015-06-03, 09:42 AM
Once he has spoken I take the envelope with my right hand. Always the right. It would not do to take anything from my superiors by the left. I feel proud, which I know to be wrong. I shouldn't feel that, not for any kind of recognition. But this means that they believe me to be good enough for this. I only hope that this doesn't mean that I am ill-suited to my task.

I have never travelled much, never been beyond Italy. And now this opportunity, to go to Peru no less. One of the countries that I used to dream about as a child. The Incas and their strange cultures, the missionaries who went there. Only later did I learn about the horrors. But they were necessary, to save their souls, and to prevent greater horrors.

I can pack quickly, there is not much that I need. "I will do my utmost to complete this task succesfully, Deo volente. I trust that everything that I will need is in the envelope?"

Mr. X
2015-06-03, 11:22 AM
"Indeed, Sister." Vassini replies, before departing.

Raunchel
2015-06-04, 06:07 AM
When I am alone again I begin to tremble. I have never been in the field before, let alone on my own. I have never even travelled alone. Panic surges up in my breast. I can't fail, but I know that I will. I just have no experience.

With shaking fingers I open the envelope, but I don't dare to look at the contents. Instead, I take it and the book, to the small cell that is my home.

The walls are white, and the only decoration is a crucifix above the door. The floor is wood, it looks old, as though it has not been replaced since this convent was first constructed, hundreds of years ago. If necessary, I can go from there to my work without ever once coming within sight of the lay people. I like that, because being amongst those I don't know always makes me nervous. I always heard such terrible things about how they live, devoted to their own pleasures instead of the Lord.

My cell has one small window, letting in a little light. I have a lightbulb on the ceiling, which I always turn on, because it otherwise becomes too dark to really see. The furniture is equally sparse. I have a bed, a small desk, a wooden chair which is a bit wobbly and a small closet, where I keep my spare clothes and the few other things that are my own. My diaries amongst them.

Then I remember, I will need some sort of bag to put everything in. The small satchel bag that I have now simply isn't large enough for much more than a laptop, and perhaps some papers. But then again, what will I really need? I could even get spare clothes once I have arrived, there is a Benedictine convent in Lima, and I might ask them. Or I should just go out, ask for money, and go into the city.

But before I do that, I take the things that I will really need, and array them on my bed. And then, I sit down on my wobbly chair and look at the envelope, finally daring to open it.

Mr. X
2015-06-04, 10:18 AM
Within the envelope is a file on the situation you are to be dealing with... Much of it is mere form work, but the salient information is there:

-The girl's name is Gabriela Martìn, and she is nine years old, and lives in Húanselita, Peru.

-Apparently she recently attacked her mother with a shard of broken pot.

-Yesterday, a group of people took her from her home, fearing she was possessed.

-The local Friar, Father Piero Miguel, has been unable to get them to release the child, claiming that their state of distress regarding her was greater than he could contend with. (i.e. They refused to listen to him.) This prompted him to seek help directly from the Vatican.

Within the envelope also, is a flight ticket and itinerary in your name. It departs from the Leonardo Da Vinci International Airport in Rome at 8:30am tomorrow morning. You connect at the Adolfo Suárez Madrid–Barajas Airport in Madrid, Spain, where you are to lay over for two hours, before continuing on to Lima, Peru.

Once in Lima, there is a telephone number for a car service that will transport you out to Húanselita.

Barring delays, the whole of the trip should take roughly twenty-two hours... Though, technically, you'll be gaining a day by crossing the Greenwich Meridian.

Additionally within the envelope, is a packet of sacramental wafers, and a small flask of holy water.

Raunchel
2015-06-04, 11:00 AM
I put everything back into the envelope, which I will leave here. It would be foolish to risk losing it. I then try to fit everything that I will need into my bag.

After some time I am forced to conclude that it doesn't. The book, the envelope and the laptop fit. I could maybe get a few other things in there, but never a change of clothes. And I will at least need that.

So, I leave my cell, heading to the abbess' office. Already thinking about how I will ask this, and praying that she will be there. If she is attending her duties elsewhere, it would be very difficult to find her.

Mr. X
2015-06-04, 12:24 PM
Please make a percentile roll (1d100)

Raunchel
2015-06-05, 07:22 AM
They see me rollin'(character limit stuff): [roll0]

Mr. X
2015-06-05, 12:22 PM
Unfortunately, the Abbess is nowhere to be found, though her secretary is in her office.

Raunchel
2015-06-05, 12:28 PM
I briefly knock, and walk towards the secretary. "Ave soror Helena, quomodo te habet? Abbatissaque ubi est? (Hello sister Helena, how are you? And where is the abbess?"

Sorry, I just spent too much time learning basic latin not to do this.

Mr. X
2015-06-05, 02:28 PM
Awesome.

"Primus inter pares, she is presiding over a council meeting. She should return in an hour or two." Helena replies.

"Is there something I can do for you?"

Raunchel
2015-06-06, 09:21 AM
"Pro parere saccumegeo pecuniam ero peregrinationem ad Peru negotium. Perficebo negotium in mandate cardinalis Sanctae Romanae Ecclesiae. (I need money to buy a bag for a journey to Peru. I will accomplish a task by the commission of the cardinal of the Holy Roman Church)", I answer her, hoping that this can be easily accomplished. I have little time before I must leave.

Mr. X
2015-06-07, 03:35 AM
"Oh yes, I heard." Helena replies, "Let me see...". She taps on her computer for a moment.

"Here it is, they've arrange a per diem account for you... Looks like you've got €100 per day, to cover food and expenses while you're away... Right now, they've got €500 available for you."

She stands, and goes to a safe in the corner of the office, and returns with an envelope containing five €100 notes.

"You'll be gone for nearly a week then? If you need to stay longer, or need more financing, just call it in. I'm sure we can get you authorized."

Raunchel
2015-06-08, 05:03 AM
"Gratias." (thank you), I say as I take the envelope. I return to my cell, putting most of the money with the envelope. I will have to be careful with it, and shouldn't spend more than absolutely necessary. To do otherwise would be wrong. After all, this money was given to the Church, and belongs to her. I can't waste it.

Then, taking one of the notes, I head into the city. It always frightens me a little. All those unfamiliar faces, all those looks. Luckily I know it a little by now, and I walk to one of the stores where they might sell what I need. It will have to be easily carried, for instance on my back. I don't know the infrastructure at my destination, but chances are that it will be poor, and those things with wheels will be all too difficult to use there.

Really sorry, but my Italian is too bad to write anything in. :smallsmile:

Shall we go through the whole purchasing thing, or shall we just fast-forward to the journey?

Mr. X
2015-06-08, 12:59 PM
OOC:

Provided you're not looking for luggage by Gucci or Prada (which you probably cannot even afford with 500 euros), I think we can assume that you are successful in your shopping spree.

Your flight is early tomorrow morning, so you've got the rest of the day to take actions with, as you see fit.

Edit/: And to be fair, I have no Italian whatsoever to use, and my Latin is limited to basic phrases... You are already well ahead of me. :-)

Raunchel
2015-06-09, 06:20 AM
After returning from the city, where I have bought a large backpack for fifty euros, which made me feel quite scandalous, I return to my cell again, where I carefully pack everything that I will need, the clothes, the books. There is little that I have, and little that I need. Everything fits easily, and I test the bag. It is heavy on my shoulders which aren't used to such weights, but I have to do this.

But I think that I can manage. I won't have to walk great distances, I hope. And otherwise someone might perhaps share my burden.

Once that is done I sit down at my desk, on the wobbling chair. I always tell myself to do something about it, but then I forget again. The same happens now as I read the documentation of the case, losing myself in these peculiar events.

Mr. X
2015-06-11, 02:29 AM
The careful study of the documentation fails to reveal information beyond the basics that were initially, readily apparent...

It is a bit frustrating, actually... Amidst the archaic tomes of the Library of Burned Books, many of the odd tomes are total nonsense... But at least there is something to interpret, and context to work with.

The bland, bureaucratic forms are so banal as to numb even what little information is held in them, such that it becomes all but meaningless... Some child in some far of village, frightening doubtless superstitious townfolk... It sounds nearly like the synopsis of a poorly written thriller.

Finally giving up and setting yourself to sleep, you cannot help but wonder if every missionary and out-sent clergymen feels so blind before they depart...

---------------

Come morning, you leave early, and make your flight with time to spare.

The passage to Madrid is long, but reasonably pleasant...

Within the Adolfo Suárez Madrid–Barajas Airport, you don't feel perfectly at home, but you are far from completely lost.

Spanish is one of your better languages, and with the country being in such close proximity to the Vatican, you have had much comfortable exposure to the spaniards and their culture...

... Your layover passed, you board your overseas flight to Lima...

... The plane is much larger than the one which brought you from Rome, and the full flight takes a long time to board...

... At length, the seatbelt signs ping on, the engines thunder to life, and the immense metal beast takes to the skies...

... Time passes strangely aboard the plane... Rather it doesn't seem to pass at all...

... For a long time you are held in rapture at the sight of the world stretching out so far beneath you... Near until you pass over the shores of the endless oceans of the Atlantic... And while they are wondrous and beautiful, the eventually become monotonous...

... There is a computer screen in the seat-back before you with a number of activities on it... Films, television, games and puzzles... But these too eventually become dull and boring...

... A meal arrives... A modest fare done up in the attempt to appear luxurious, but failing badly at it...

... Eventually, you sleep for a time...

... Upon awaking you feel you must soon arrive, and consult with the flight attendant, who shows you how to pull up the progress map on your screen...

... You have travelled less than a third of the distance...

... It is impossible... It has been hours and hours! You've slept and awoke!

Are the lying to you? Has the plane's course shifted?

Please make a Will Save, DC 10 as mild claustrophobia and paranoia begin to set in.

Also, please make a Fortitude Save, DC 10, against airsickness.

You are free to take actions at this point, if you like.

Raunchel
2015-06-11, 05:13 AM
I feel horrible. I'm not made for flying. My stomach is turning around, and I'm sweating. But not from the heat. I even feel cold. This isn't good. Not good at all. And I just can't focus on my reading, distracted by everything, confused even. This isn't right. I can't even focus on my prayers. I feel tired, but I don't know how well I can sleep. This is disastrous. I hate it. No wonder that many choose for a secluded life in the libraries. Travelling is terrible.

I ahve read about air sickness while waiting in Madrid, I had nothing else to do than to read the free flyers about such things and safety concerns. Terribly boring, even more so thatn the papers that I was given, but it was something to pass the waiting time without needless spending. I look at the map, trying to focus on where we are, and how far we have already come. I don't have a watch, which would be very helpful now, but that again would have been luxury. I never needed anything to track the time before.

I lean back, glancing sideways at the other passengers and the flight crew. If there is something, I might pick it up. I'm not good at that sort of thing, but it gives me something to do.

Will edit the rest later, based on the rolls.. Fortitude: [roll0] vs DC 10

Will: [roll1] vs DC 10

Mr. X
2015-06-12, 04:20 AM
Trying to move your head only deepens your misery, as the increased oscillation causes you to become very suddenly, and very violently, airsick...

... It is only by the grace of God that you find the airsickness bag in your seat back pocket before losing the meal you had consumed...

... And yet it still never ends...

... Delerious from the sickness, you immagine this is what Purgatory must be like... Trapped in between places... Misery dressed up like luxury... Unable to proceed, and unable to return...

... Just when you feel as though you must perish in this ordeal, the seatbelt signs ping on, and the Captain announces your final descent.

... Finally on the ground, you emerge into the Lima airport, exhausted, frazzled, and totally spent... And you have not even begun your work.

You gain 100xp for surviving the flight.

You take the 'Fatigued' condition.

You are free to act.

Raunchel
2015-06-12, 10:25 AM
I feel incredibly relieved when the plane finally touches the ground. I never expected that I would miss it so much. But now I know. I could almot get down on my knees, but I can't. I have to maintain decorum. It wouldn't do to show such weakness.

So, I slowly leave the plane, shamed as I am by my sickness. It must be a punishment for something that I have done. I think that it is my pride, because I was happy to be given an external assignment. I resolve to never do so again.

I make my way to collect my luggage, and afterwards I head to the arrival hall, to hopefully be received by someone to bring me to the village. Otherwise I will get the opportunity to practice my Spanish, in order to find a way there.

Mr. X
2015-06-16, 07:09 PM
Making your way to the arrival hall, you find it difficult to recognize the Spanish spoken here as even the same language that you have studied and know... It is heavily accented, and the tempos and mannerisms of speech are worlds away from what you have spoken in Italy and Spain.

Never the less, as you focus and listen, you can begin to pick apart the sounds and intonations, and gain limited understanding of what is being said around you.

-------------

Having gathered your luggage from Baggage Claim, and made your way to the Arrival Hall, you see a man holding a sign with your name on it.

Going to him, he introduces himself in clipped but adequate Italian.
"Welcome to Lima, Sister. I José Corrénjo. I take you to Húanselita, unless you like to go someplace else first?"

Raunchel
2015-06-17, 08:24 AM
I immediately head towards the man with the sign. He surprises me when he speaks Italian, I had expected them to keep to Spanish. It seems to be difficult for him, so I answer in Spanish: "Thank you, senor Corrénjo. If it is possible, I would like to travel directly to Húanselita, it is better to not delay when dealing with these matters."

I'm not entirely honest, I know that, but I want to be away from this airport, and those terrible airplanes. Even hearing or seeing one still makes me a little sick.

Mr. X
2015-06-18, 01:34 AM
José nods, smiling at your Spanish, and transitioning into the more comfortable language.

"Aye, come then, my car is this way."

He leads you out into the parking garage, to a dusty jeep.

"I hope you'll forgive the poorness of my transport, the roads to Húanselita are unkept, and impossible to drive in a sedan."

He loads your bag for you, before opening the rear seat door for you.

"The drive is about four more hours. You're welcome to try to get some sleep en route, if you like."

Owing to the time change between Lima and Rome, it is still early morning, on the same day, though nearly a full day has passed... You are exhausted from your flight, and the prospect of sleep is an enticing one... Provided you trust this man enough to watch over your slumber.

Raunchel
2015-06-18, 06:08 AM
Once I sit in the car I have little choice in the matter. I quickly fall asleep. The bumpy road is much, much better than the airplane. I hate airplanes, even now that my stomach has settled back into place. The only thing that really frightens me is the end of the mission, when I will have to fly all the way back.

Mr. X
2015-06-19, 03:15 AM
The roads are rough, and the jeep is not luxurious, but even so, you sleep like a baby, and awaken refreshed about half an hour before you arrive.

The terrain is mountainous and rugged, and as you crest a ridge, and begin to descend towards Lake Chinchaychoca, you can make out the village of Húanselita on the shores before you...

... Pulling into town, it is immediately apparent that something is amiss...

A crowd has gathered in the central square, where a large wooden cross has been erected... A young girl, perhaps twelve years old, is bound crucified to the cross... The crowd surrounds her, chanting the Lord's Prayer in loud and ragged unison, while the girl weeps, and shrieks, and pleads to be released...

... The jeep has barely stopped, when a dusty friar runs panicked forward to meet you, pleading in heavily accented Spanish.

"PRAISE GOD YOU'VE COME!! YOU MUST DO SOMETHING! THEY WILL NOT LISTEN TO MEEE!!!"

Raunchel
2015-06-20, 09:22 AM
When I see this horror I almost jump from the jeep, shocked beyond reason. How can a good soul do such a thing? How terrified must that poor girl be. And these villagers, something must be wrong. This isn't normal. I run towards the crowd, forgetting decorum and my tiredness. "What has happened? What is this?", I ask, in utter and complete shock. This is just too much. I hardly listen to the friar, still running, towards the poor girl.

Mr. X
2015-06-20, 06:52 PM
Pushing through the crowd, you are able to get a closer look at the scene...

The cross leans slightly pitched forward, over a crude spear planted in the ground... Held in place by a mechanism such that, should the girl struggle too fiercely, the cross will collapse forward, impaling the girl upon the spear...

... The setup is clearly intended to infer Christ's crucifixion, and the roman spear which pierced his side...

... The girl, though...

... You've seen pictures of women who've suffered acid attacks in the Middle East, usually at the hands of rejected suitors, but sometimes, even at the hands of disappointed parents...

... Seeing such first hand turns your stomach... The flesh on the girl's face is a horrifyingly scarred mess, where the skin has been horribly burnt by some caustic chemical... One of her eyes and half her face hang slack and dead, even as the other side weeps and pleads for mercy...

... As if in response, a man standing beneath her dips a sponge in a bucket, and raises it on a pole to her lips...

Gall... Another nod to the crucifixion of Christ...

... The girl sputters and chokes, wrenching her head away from the sponge in refusal... The man below looks nearly as pained by this as she... There is nothing sadistic in the act...

... And still, the mob ever continues its ragged chant.

Pushing your way closer, you are suddenly blocked, and many strong hands attempt to seize you, and hold you back.

"Stay back Sister!" many voices shout out. "The devil is within her! It is too dangerous!"

Four men attempt to grapple you:

Attack1:[roll0]
Attack2:[roll1]
Attack3:[roll2]
Attack4:[roll3]

If you like, you may make an Attack of Opportunity against the first of your assailants.

It is apparent that you will need to take some sort of decisive action to take control of the situation, or you will simply be drowned out... Just like the friar.

Raunchel
2015-06-21, 09:18 AM
I am appalled. This is horrible, far worse than anything I've seen in my whole life. The poor, poor girl. When I grew up I often read about martyrs, and all the horrible things that have happened in the past, but seeing it for real is far worse. This is downright sickening.

And then I feel the grasping hands, I have to take action. And I have to do it quickly. These people will inflict greater harm. I know that I should feel pity for them, but I don't. Instead, I feel enraged. What sort of people can do this? Only monsters. But in the back of my mind there is another voice, whispering about them being afraid, not knowing what they do.

And for once in my life, I don't think before I act. I merely act. I turn around, and shout in Spanish: "This blasphemy ends right now! I have come from Rome to investigate this case! You cannot do this, you have no right! Only the Holy Mother Church can know what is to be done! Take her down and treat her, or you will burn forever!"

Well, Agnes isn't a violent person, so she won't take such an attack of opportunity. Rolling her grapple of -3 against a group also sounds rather useless, so here that one goes: [roll0].

And of course, an attempt to use enthrall (dc 17): [roll1] in order to make them listen to the attempt at diplomacy (where there aren't any real ranks, of course) [roll2]

Mr. X
2015-06-21, 10:38 AM
With a swiftness that surprises even you, you slip easily out of the grasp of one man and deftly dodge another, before they manage to hold you.

When you speak, you are suddenly free from your fears and insecurities... You swell, filled with the power of the Holy Spirit, and your voice booms over the noise of the chanting mob, and all are struck stunned...

... The men holding you release you, and a palpable silence falls over the square, as the people pause, awed by your words...

You've got them, for now.

You are free to act.

Raunchel
2015-06-21, 10:59 AM
I look over the assembled people, I feel afraid, but I can't show it. This is too important, far more important than I am. "She might be possessed, and that is why I have come here. I have studied for this, I can distinguish the taint, if it is there, so please, just take her down so I can talk with her, in private."

Mr. X
2015-06-25, 02:31 AM
It takes a moment for some of the people to respond, but ultimately, the crowd gives way before you, and two men bring out ladders, and climb up to release the girl from the cross...

The moment her feet touch the ground, she pulls away from the men, and rushes to you, throwing her arms around you in an awkward embrace, babbling incoherent gratitudes into the folds of your habit.

The Friar comes around, and places a hand on your shoulder.

"Come sister, let us take her away from here." he states, glancing invitingly toward the jeep.

Raunchel
2015-06-25, 09:29 AM
"Yes, let us go.", I reply, happy that all this has seemed to work, even though I feel exhausted and confused. What could possibly cause the people to act like this?

I try to lead the girl to the jeep, and hopefully a safer, calmer place to deal with this matter. But first, a hospital. She needs medical assistance.

Mr. X
2015-06-25, 10:46 AM
As you depart, please make a Perception check.

Raunchel
2015-06-25, 10:48 AM
[roll0], let's see.

Mr. X
2015-06-28, 03:36 AM
It's difficult to say if it was on purpose, or just a fluke in the heat of the moment, but you do notice that when the girl embraced you, a fold of your habit was crunched over your rosary... Such that it never touched the girl.

Loading the girl and the friar into the jeep, the crowd casts you a lingering eye, as you drive out of sight.

... The local hospital is a small, and poorly funded establishment...

Even so, when you enter, and the nurse sees the state of the girl, you are taken back right away, that her burns and injuries might be treated...

Owing to the extents of her injuries, the doctor has her change into a hospital gown for examination...

... You can see that her back is horribly seared, much like her face... Across her shoulders, and down her spine, buttocks, and the backs of her legs... Much as where the cross she was bound to had touched her...

As the doctor attempts to diagnose the long list of her injuries, Friar José leans into you...

"Her father claimed it was holy water..." he whispers, "Taken from the font at the church..."

He nods toward the girl.

"What do you think?"

Raunchel
2015-07-01, 04:48 PM
I observe with horror when I see the injuries. Something is wrong here. But I can't say for certain yet. "Errors have been made I fear. But this is most peculiar. Once she is sufficiently recovered I will properly examine her", I whisper back.

Knowledge (religion) [roll0]

Sorry for the short post, but I just got back from a weekend abroad working, and today there were lots of things that I needed to deal with as well. And I hope that you will hav a great time in Japan!