PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Meatscape: How to Get Across Themes/Represent an Alien Consciousness

Harbinger
2015-05-28, 05:12 PM
So I've created a setting, which I like to call Meatscape. It's sort of like The Binding of Isaac meets The Thing (1982). Basically, the gist of it is that humans have lost the ability to die but not the ability to be harmed. As such, the Earth is now a literal packed ball of living flesh. The flesh has gone on to mutate, fuse with other organisms, and create entire new ecosystems made of these ex-people which have become part of the landscape. The players will be relatively still normal (i.e bipedal, two arms, one mind) humans trying to survive in this world. The antagonist will be a new type of organism which does not make a distinction between itself and the material around it. To it, all biomass is interchangeable. I want a theme of this game to be that humans are living in a world where concepts like "individuality" have become outdated. So with that in mind, any ideas as to how I might:

1. Effectively convey this theme, without heavy-handedly outright stating it, while still

2. Portraying the other entity as appropriately inhuman and alien, but just as intelligent as a person.

It is a lot to ask, but I'm not asking for a solution, just ideas to brainstorm with.

Necroticplague
2015-05-28, 06:12 PM
For number two, it might help if you find an analogue to them, then build a mindset around it, Given what it is, it might help to think of it less like an individual (it sure doesn't), and maybe more like an organization. No one single point can be said to be it, because it exists as a collective. It has goals, and intelligently tries to achieve them, but it sees smaller portions of itself like currency that can be used in exchange for its goals. Maybe try reading up on some similar stuff done before, like the Yozi of Exalted or the Zerg of WH40K.

Incidentally, that sounds like an awesome campaign idea. Hope it goes well.