PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A multipliers stacking

With a box
2015-05-28, 06:02 PM
Multiplying: When you are asked to apply more than one multiplier to a roll, the multipliers are not multiplied by one another. Instead, you combine them into a single multiplier, with each extra multiple adding 1 less than its value to the first multiple. For example, if you are asked to apply a ×2 multiplier twice, the result would be ×3, not ×4.

incopreal(pathfinder, but it's for finding easy half
An incorporeal creature has no physical body. It can be harmed only by other incorporeal creatures, magic weapons or creatures that strike as magic weapons, and spells, spell-like abilities, or supernatural abilities. It is immune to all nonmagical attack forms. Even when hit by spells or magic weapons, it takes only half damage from a corporeal source (except for channel energy)

Fireball
snip
Saving Throw Reflex half; Spell Resistance yes

let's say a ghost maximized fireballed (max 10d6=60)

1. if he failed reflex save
(60)*(0.5)=30
2. if he made reflex save
(60)*(0.5+(0.5-1))=0

is this a free evasion for incorporeal creatures?
Is it mistake when pathfinder change incorporeal's miss chance to half damage?
and
3. a creature with fire vunalablity get maxsimized fireballed and successful reflex save
60*(0.5+(1.5-1))=60?

So, is half a multiplier?

Psychoalpha
2015-05-28, 06:37 PM
How... what?

Did you typo or something? Far as I know, 60*0.5 is 30. >_>

Anyway: You do the save first, because that determines how much damage 'hits'. Your incorporeal state isn't going to negate damage you avoid, neh?

So you make your save and instead of 60 you take 30, because only 30pts of the damage hit you.

You're incorporeal, so of the 30 points that hit you, you take half.

60pt fireball + sucessful reflex save + incorporeal = 15 damage.

Edit: Which works along the same lines as the multiplier rules, though they're not really the same thing. You're not getting 50% + 50% = 100% reduction, you're getting 75% reduction, which is like two x2 multipliers becoming x3, only in reverse. >_>

Necroticplague
2015-05-28, 06:41 PM
Huh? not sure where you get that math from. On a succesful save, it should be:

60*.5*.5=15

Taking half damage isn't a multiplier.

Hrugner
2015-05-28, 08:01 PM
I see what you're saying, and it does seem like the 50% incorporeal and 50% save would stack to 100%. A ghost with improved evasion wouldn't even need to make the save.

Necroticplague
2015-05-28, 08:12 PM
I see what you're saying, and it does seem like the 50% incorporeal and 50% save would stack to 100%. A ghost with improved evasion wouldn't even need to make the save.

How so? At best, you get 75% resistance if they simply do normal maths to it. More likely, the abilities are redundant (since both make you take half damage, and would reduce the damage). Stacking to 100% would be like if having two sources of immunity to fire made you heal from fire damage.

With a box
2015-05-28, 08:26 PM
How so? At best, you get 75% resistance if they simply do normal maths to it. More likely, the abilities are redundant (since both make you take half damage, and would reduce the damage). Stacking to 100% would be like if having two sources of immunity to fire made you heal from fire damage.

because damage is not real would idea, and half(x0.5) is a multiplier, and it's the Rule(add multiplier-1s and add 1) for stacking multipler.
note that I didn't just stacking the halves. it would result of he get full(100%) damage.

Necroticplague
2015-05-28, 08:31 PM
because damage is not real would idea, and half(x0.5) is a multiplier, and it's the Rule(add multiplier-1s and add 1) for stacking multipler.
note that I didn't just stacking the halves. it would result of he get full(100%) damage.

Half of a value is not a multiplier, it is a separate value of its own. These abilities merely allow you to use that value instead of the whole value. Thus, these abilities are redundant, not stacking in any form.

With a box
2015-05-28, 09:03 PM
Half of a value is not a multiplier, it is a separate value of its own. These abilities merely allow you to use that value instead of the whole value. Thus, these abilities are redundant, not stacking in any form.
Double(like cold vulnerability) of a value is not a multiplier, it is a separate value of its own. These abilities merely allow you to use that value instead of the whole value. Thus, these abilities are redundant, not stacking in any form.

Felyndiira
2015-05-28, 09:36 PM
I think you're right by RAW (at least I can't find a ruling that states that anything < 1x is not a multiplier).

I heavily doubt that this is RAI, though.

Hrugner
2015-05-28, 11:39 PM
I think you're right by RAW (at least I can't find a ruling that states that anything < 1x is not a multiplier).

I heavily doubt that this is RAI, though.

Yeah, I doubt you could get this to fly in a game as a player, and you'd be a jerk to use it as a DM; but that is certainly the RAW. I couldn't find an FAQ saying otherwise.