PDA

View Full Version : Player Help I need to know every (mundane preferably) way to create an explosion or fire in D&D.

MrWoodchip
2015-05-28, 08:43 PM
Okay, long story short, we're in hell. The GM doesn't mind town GP limits too much, as long as we don't go too over the top, and we've never had a (non homebrew) item nope'd.

There is an item that is essentially crystallised hellfire. Pretty sure it's a homebrew.

My character carries flour, and the GM allows it to be thrown, and lit within a turn to create a fireball that deals 2d6 in a 2*2 square, or 3*3 if he throws two (nearly any powder distributed in the air is pretty flammable IRL). He is now a pyromaniac essentially. Generally, if I convince the GM it can burn, it will burn.

Also we burnt down a church of Tiamat. Then killed Tiamat's pet project. Then met Tiamat and blamed it all on the paladin. My character killed the pet with hellfire. Then we extorted 2 rings of blink with caster level 40 from Tiamat. Then we found out Tiamat betrayed us. Now we're planning to kill Tiamat.

Just thought I'd share to demonstrate the sort of game it is.

So do tell what else can cause explosions or fires.

So far, I know soap, the homebrew crystal, and the flour burn.

IZ42
2015-05-28, 08:51 PM
Alchemist's fire is obvious. I'm guessing this is 3.5 but see if your DM could take a look at the Alchemist (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/alchemist) Pathfinder Class, which literally has bombs.

Bad Wolf
2015-05-28, 09:41 PM
Your group is awesome. Post a campaign journal?

Bronk
2015-05-28, 09:54 PM
The DMG contains rules for firearms and non-magical gunpowder for 3.5, and Dragon 321 reiterates and expands on them. A keg of gunpowder only costs 20g.

Milo v3
2015-05-28, 09:55 PM
Races of the Dragon has Ditherbombs.

Krobar
2015-05-28, 10:29 PM
Get yourself a decanter of endless water, and wish for it to spew forth alchemist's fire instead of water. Be sure to word that carefully.

At Geyser strength, 5 gallons per second = 30 gallons per round = 240 pints per round = 240d6 on a direct hit and 240 points of splash damage.

Rock on.

I know you said mundane, but I like this just way too much.

Yahzi
2015-05-29, 07:21 AM
My character carries flour, and the GM allows it to be thrown, and lit within a turn to create a fireball that deals 2d6 in a 2*2 square
Flour burns, but it does not kill. A bag of flour does not have the same kill radius as a hand-grenade. Otherwise the armies in your world should consist entirely of bakers.

MrWoodchip
2015-05-29, 04:52 PM
Your group is awesome. Post a campaign journal?

I probably will when the campaign is over. I would do session by session, but sometimes nothing happens, and sometimes we kill everything ever.

Hrugner
2015-05-29, 06:45 PM
Any organic very fine particle.

Almost all organic material in the form of a dust cloud will ignite at temperatures below 500 oC - approximately the same temperature as a newly extinguished match. Cotton, plastics and foodstuffs such as sugar, flour and cocoa can also, under the right conditions, act as explosives. In order for a dust explosion to take place, the dust particles must be of a certain size and the amount of finely granulated material per unit of volume must lie within certain critical values. There is generally a direct correlation between particle size and explosive hazard. The smaller the particle, the more reactive the dust. As the materials become smaller, they disperse and remain suspended more easily, increasing the potential for ignition and propagation of the reaction. Industrial explosion prevention measures include, where possible, providing nitrogen gas purging to ensure that the oxygen concentration is kept below that required for combustion.

http://fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/dumb/fae.htm