PDA

View Full Version : Is Witch Hunter any good?

Th3N3xtGuy
2015-05-28, 09:52 PM
For just straight up martial prowess, is it any good? Or is it better to forget this PrC ever existed?

Nihilarian
2015-05-28, 10:13 PM
Kami's Grace might stack with Divine Grace? Other than that not really.

Extra Anchovies
2015-05-28, 10:15 PM
What, the OA class? Forget it existed. It's maybe worth a one-level dip for kami's grace, especially since it stacks with Divine Grace due to their being different abilities. Cha to saves twice can be a lot.

atemu1234
2015-05-28, 10:54 PM
What, the OA class? Forget it existed. It's maybe worth a one-level dip for kami's grace, especially since it stacks with Divine Grace due to their being different abilities. Cha to saves twice can be a lot.

On a Nymph, x3...

Mwahaha...

Extra Anchovies
2015-05-28, 11:17 PM
On a Nymph, x3...

Mwahaha...

Nymphs are super broken as PCs. Their blindness is a free action to activate and deactivate. Not a swift action, not a free action 1/round, a free action. So you can flicker it on and off an arbitrary number of times each turn (or really at any point that you're not flat-footed), which means everyone who's not immune to blind will eventually roll a 1 on their save. It's one of the best ways to get your DM to set a limit on free actions per round.

Story
2015-05-29, 12:24 AM
I don't see anything which says that suppressing and reactivating the ability forces a new save.

Extra Anchovies
2015-05-29, 12:47 AM
I don't see anything which says that suppressing and reactivating the ability forces a new save.

There doesn't need to be. There's no "if a creature successfully saves, it is immune to this effect for X amount of time" like most area-effect non-instantaneous save-based abilities have. Thus, valid targets in the area need to save every time it's activated, whether the activations are hours or milliseconds apart.

Story
2015-05-29, 01:01 AM
Nothing in the ability description suggests that resuming the ability forces a new save. Admittedly, it's pretty vague to begin with. It says "those who look directly at a nymph" must make the save. Presumably they make a new save every time they look away and then back again?

It's probably simplest just to treat it as a gaze attack, even though it isn't by RAW.

Venger
2015-05-29, 01:05 AM
For just straight up martial prowess, is it any good? Or is it better to forget this PrC ever existed?

it's a real pile of junk.

go with tome of magic's 'witch slayer' instead. gives you some good brute stuff and helps you beef up defensively, alongside a healthy cha focus if you're into that sort of thing

Extra Anchovies
2015-05-29, 01:07 AM
Nothing in the ability description suggests that resuming the ability forces a new save. Admittedly, it's pretty vague to begin with. It says "those who look directly at a nymph" must make the save. Presumably they make a new save every time they look away and then back again?

The way I read it, a save is forced whenever a character transitions from not looking at the nymph while BB is active to looking at the nymph if BB is active, and how they go from the first state to the second doesn't matter. Thus, a save is forced A) when the nymph has BB active and the character begins looking at the nymph and B) when the character is already looking at the nymph and the nymph activates BB.

It's probably simplest just to treat it as a gaze attack, even though it isn't by RAW.

Well, yeah, it is best and simplest to do that, and that's generally how I've seen it houseruled. But by RAW, a nymph can flicker Blinding Beauty until everyone in the area is either immune or blind. Which is one of the reasons why (as I've said above) nymphs are pretty broken for PCs.

Venger
2015-05-29, 01:35 AM
The way I read it, a save is forced whenever a character transitions from not looking at the nymph while BB is active to looking at the nymph if BB is active, and how they go from the first state to the second doesn't matter. Thus, a save is forced A) when the nymph has BB active and the character begins looking at the nymph and B) when the character is already looking at the nymph and the nymph activates BB.

Well, yeah, it is best and simplest to do that, and that's generally how I've seen it houseruled. But by RAW, a nymph can flicker Blinding Beauty until everyone in the area is either immune or blind. Which is one of the reasons why (as I've said above) nymphs are pretty broken for PCs.

unlike most similar abilities, there's no clause about a passed save giving immunity, so that won't work.

extra anchovies is right. by RAW, a nymph just autoflickers the blinding beauty ~20 times until everyone who's sucsceptible rolls a 1.

treating it as a gaze, or houseruling that the nymph can only use it 1/round, or making it a swift action are all reasonable alternatives.

Story
2015-05-29, 01:45 AM
But by RAW, a nymph can flicker Blinding Beauty until everyone in the area is either immune or blind. Which is one of the reasons why (as I've said above) nymphs are pretty broken for PCs.

It seems to me like the RAW is too ambiguous here to confidently state that it works one particular way. Unless there are clarifying rules elsewhere that I'm forgetting.

Venger
2015-05-29, 02:31 AM
It seems to me like the RAW is too ambiguous here to confidently state that it works one particular way. Unless there are clarifying rules elsewhere that I'm forgetting.

Blinding Beauty (Su)
This ability affects all humanoids within 30 feet of a nymph. Those who look directly at a nymph must succeed on a DC 17 Fortitude save or be blinded permanently as though by the blindness spell. A nymph can suppress or resume this ability as a free action.

it really isn't ambiguous. turning it off or on is a free action, so it can be done NI times in a turn, so a nymph could theoretically turn it on and off a bunch of times to blind everybody in range.

is this well-balanced? we can all agree the answer is "no" and have discussed several strategies to mitigate it, but the RAW is clear.

Story
2015-05-29, 10:06 AM
I agree that you can turn it on and off NI times, but there's nothing that says that doing so forces a new save. That's why it's ambiguous. You could just as easily argue that the ability only requires people to make one save ever.