PDA

View Full Version : Listen To This

Story
2015-05-29, 12:45 AM
I was looking at the skill trick descriptions again and Listen To This seems incredibly abuseable. Anyone who hears your description of the sound is treated as if they had heard the original sound. Holy Word anyone? Bardic Music?

What other abuses are there? Any monsters with interesting sound based attacks? The main limitations are that you can only use it 1/encounter or 1/minute and it has to be at most an hour since you heard the sound (meaning that combat uses require prior prep).

Karl Aegis
2015-05-29, 01:12 AM
Hearing a sound is not the same as being the target of an ability. You can't replicate spells by hearing them.

Gale
2015-05-29, 01:40 AM
Replicating a magical effect requires more than sound. The user needs a source of either arcane or divine energy as well. Even if one could perfectly replicate the verbalization of a Holy Word spell it wouldn't affect anyone due to the lack of a power source.
At least that's my opinion anyways. I could see how it could be interpreted differently, but it's probably not wise to allow people to replicate 7th level spells for two skill points.

Story
2015-05-29, 01:42 AM
What about replicating (Ex) sound based abilities, like a Cloaker's Moan? They shouldn't require a magic source, right?

Karl Aegis
2015-05-29, 01:52 AM
What about replicating (Ex) sound based abilities, like a Cloaker's Moan? They shouldn't require a magic source, right?

Although the cloaker's moan is a [sonic] ability, a person can't actually hear the sound it makes, so it can't be replicated.