PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Quick advice on a savage archer idea.

DarkHarlequinn7
2015-05-29, 12:51 AM
Hello there folks. I would like to make an archer character that hails from a barbaric tribe. I have very specific interest in making her a fighter with the archer archetype (all dem sweet delicious feats), but I had a thought to also have her dip a level in barbarian for two reasons:
1) The roughly 6 rounds of rage I get per day which will increase my damage (so long as I get a composite bow with the adaptive ability, and given that I'm starting at level 5, I will definitely get that) in some dire situations or big boss fights at the very least.
2) And slightly less importantly, the speed boost.
Point is, does this seem like a good idea? Is the barbarian dip worth the fighter level?
Also, thoughts on Archer Fighter Archetypes in general for an archer build. Would a normal fighter be a better choice?
Thanks in advance for the advice!

Extra Anchovies
2015-05-29, 01:20 AM
Urban Barbarian (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/barbarian/archetypes/paizo---barbarian-archetypes/urban-barbarian) can let you boost your Dex (or Dex and Str, but you have to split the bonuses) while raging. Doesn't give you Fast Movement, though.

From what I've heard, the most effective archers* are Zen Archers, but Fighter does it quite well (PF fighter is actually a lot better than most people give it credit for). Archer Fighter doesn't give you much stuff that's better than standard fighter except for maybe Volley at level 17, so I'd recommend Mutation Warrior instead. You can get a hefty boost to Dex (and later to Dex and Str at the same time), enough so that it's worth giving up Armor Training (especially since you'll probably be in light armor anyways to take advantage of your high Dex score). Remember that you can only have one mutagen at a time, but you can also brew more than one per day as long as you have an hour to spare in between encounters.

*excluding full-caster archers, probably. I'm pointing this out so nobody chimes in with the standard crap about how clerics are the best archers, because I've heard more than enough of it.

DarkHarlequinn7
2015-05-29, 01:42 AM
Thanks for the advice, the mutagen idea is certainly interesting, but guiven that this archer (while smarter than her typical peers) is still from a barbaric tribe. I doubt she would have the resources or knowhow to make something as complex as a mutagen.

Extra Anchovies
2015-05-29, 01:50 AM
Thanks for the advice, the mutagen idea is certainly interesting, but guiven that this archer (while smarter than her typical peers) is still from a barbaric tribe. I doubt she would have the resources or knowhow to make something as complex as a mutagen.

Maybe the mutagens are herbal witch-doctor potions, with the recipes passed down between members of the tribe? There's nothing anywhere in the alchemist description that says they have to be scientific about the stuff they do, or even that they have to be literate – a formula book could be made up of pictograms representing the various ingredients.

I now really want to play a savage alchemist.

Also, having just taken a look at the alchemist again, I just want to bring to your attention this gory mess of a sentence from the Alchemy class feature:

An alchemist can create three special types of magical items—extracts, bombs, and mutagens are transformative elixirs that the alchemist drinks to enhance his physical abilities—both of these are detailed in their own sections below.

grarrrg
2015-05-29, 02:15 AM
Archer archetype lets you make some Combat Maneuvers at range, which expands your options.
You also get a scaling bonus on Perception checks, never a bad thing.
You also get "free" Point Blank Master at level 9 (technically not really the feat, but close enough).

You do give up Armor Training, which as stated you're probably going to want to stick to Light armors anyway (or Mithral Mediums).

Other than Urban Barbarian you might look at the Savage Technologist (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/barbarian/archetypes/paizo---barbarian-archetypes/savage-technologist) archetype instead.
You still get +STR when raging, but get +DEX instead of +CON, you also do away with the AC penalty.

I wanted to suggest dipping Bloodrager instead of Barbarian, but most 1st level Bloodline powers revolve around Melee attacks. The only ones worth mentioning are:
"Grow (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/hybrid-classes/bloodrager/paizo---bloodrager-bloodlines/abyssal) Claws (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/hybrid-classes/bloodrager/paizo---bloodrager-bloodlines/draconic)" so you have a quick melee-range option without having to switch weapons around
Kyton (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/hybrid-classes/bloodrager/paizo---bloodrager-bloodlines/kyton-bloodline) when you confirm a Critical Hit the target is Sickened for 1 round and has to make an extra check to cast spells (practically the only power that doesn't say "melee attack" on it). But Bows have lousy threat range, so you wouldn't be Critting all that often.

Also, having just taken a look at the alchemist again, I just want to bring to your attention this gory mess of a sentence from the Alchemy class feature:

Why must you hurt my brain?

Hrugner
2015-05-29, 02:45 AM
the blood conduit archetype for bloodrager has a small chunk of feats available at first level instead of fast movement. Nothing really good at first glance, but I don't know what it is you're cooking up. Also, since as a fighter you'll have tons of spare feats, it may be worth looking at unchained alternative multiclassing with barbarian instead of taking a class level.

Molosse
2015-05-29, 03:41 AM
Curious how nobody has mentioned the Primal Hunter Archetype, considering it was built for Barchers.

In any case Primal Hunter will grab you:

I) Exceptional Pull at level 1, which increases the Str rating of Composite weapons by +2 while not penalizing you for not meeting the requirement, for when you're not raging.
II) +2 to hit, while Raging, with ranged weapons while allowing you to still utilize Stealth.

So take Beserker of the Society or Extra Rage and a single level of Primal Hunter to grab +2 to hit/damage along with the +2hp/HD while raging with your weapon of choice. I'd halfway recommend going full Primal Hunter, but it's front loaded enough where you can grab a 1-2 level dip.

DarkHarlequinn7
2015-05-29, 03:57 AM
It looks like Primal Hunter was exactly what I was looking for, assuming the answer to this question is satisfactory.

Focused Rage (Ex)

While raging, a primal hunter gains a +2 bonus on attack rolls with ranged weapons.

This bonus increases to +3 at 11th level and to +4 at 20th level. While raging, a primal hunter can attempt Stealth checks but doesn't gain a morale bonus on Will saves.

This ability alters rage.
Is the only thing this ability raplaces just the will save? Does it still gain the other benefits of raging such as the increased strength and constitution?

Molosse
2015-05-29, 04:42 AM
It looks like Primal Hunter was exactly what I was looking for, assuming the answer to this question is satisfactory.

Is the only thing this ability raplaces just the will save? Does it still gain the other benefits of raging such as the increased strength and constitution?

Absolutely.

DarkHarlequinn7
2015-05-29, 04:45 AM
Absolutely.

Great! I will defintiely dip into this archetype, sounds like a much better plan than just a vanilla barbarian. Thanks everyone for your suggestions!

Molosse
2015-05-29, 05:40 AM
Great! I will defintiely dip into this archetype, sounds like a much better plan than just a vanilla barbarian. Thanks everyone for your suggestions!

As an aside, for a perhaps controversial position, could I suggest the Eldritch Guardian Archetype as opposed to the Archer Archetype?
I) It grants a Fighter a Familiar (With attached Familiar Archetype, I would suggest either Mauler or Protector).
II) Slightly changed Class Skills with the Barbarian dip covering those that are traded away while gaining three usefull skills neither Fighter nor Barbarian possess.
III) Grants a straight upgrade to Bravery
IV) Grants EVERY combat feat you have to your familiar
V) Let's you keep both Armour Training and Weapon Training.

Grab a Hawk or something similar, call it your Tribes Totemic Animal sent to guide and protect you, use it for scouting and passable combat or defensive support.