PDA

View Full Version : Ki Blast questions

Catalysis
2015-05-29, 08:38 AM
Hi playground,

I wondered what kind of ranged weapon was the ki blast, from the PHB2. Is it a thrown weapon, a projectile weapon or none of those?

If it's one of the two first option, does it qualify for feats like precise shot or far shot?

Is there any way to upgrade its efficiency by adding debuffs to it, or increasing it's damage?

And finally, what would you do with it to make it trully awesome?

As always, thanks for answering.

Prime32
2015-05-29, 12:46 PM
And finally, what would you do with it to make it trully awesome?Write a new feat with the same name. It's terrible.

Seriously, compare a warmage at the same level you're taking this feat. He can use scorching ray 14+ times per day as a standard action, dealing damage equal to 8d6 + ability modifier (or 12d6 + ability modifer if he Empowers it). Ki Blast is usable 4 times per day (assuming you don't use Stunning Fist), and takes up your entire turn for less than half the effect. Yes, force damage is useful when you run into ghosts, but that's the only thing it has going for it. Since it doesn't scale by level, it also becomes less and less useful over time.

Ki Blast isn't a thrown or projectile weapon; it works like a spell. However, you can't apply any abilities that enhance spells to it, only abilities that boost your attacks in general. Precise Shot will work, Far Shot will not (it doesn't have a range increment to increase). The only other option I can think of is the Empower Supernatural Ability feat from Tome of Magic... but it's only usable 1/day for an average of +5 damage, so... yeah.

If you just want a way for your monk to fight at range, I've got a list of them (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=10747.msg180474#msg180474).

Catalysis
2015-05-29, 01:56 PM
Thanks for the clarification. Do know that the ki blast has a range increment of 60ft, would that change your answer about far shot?

As for the list, it uses either spells or dragon mag to enable ranged attacks, those are two things I won't use, sadly.

The build I'm using doesn't optimise unarmed strikes, so serpent fang is out. The character uses ranged touch maneuvers through the shadow sun ninja prc, a breath weapon which recharges after 1d4 rounds (dragonborn) and a sling once I'm out of options. Ki blast would only be another toy from the arsenal...

Spending my whole turn preparing Ki blast wouldn't be a problem since I have the invisible fist ACF (exemplar of evil:improved invisibility for one round, 3 rounds of cooldown) and the shadow blend supernatural ability from the Champion of Valor web enhancement (Monk ACF: the character automatically gains total concelment in anything but full daylight). Coupled with Darkstalker, I think it's safe to say that my enemy can wait:smallsmile:

As I said above, it's only supposed to be a toy from the arsenal of an experience scout.

Oh, I almost forgot, I have another question regarding Ki blast.

At ECL 15, I'm going to have the shadow hand maneuver: one with shadow. This little pupy will blast me into the etheral plane for one round, as an immediate action. Wouldn't Ki blast be the perfect tool to attack corporeal foe then? I'm not sure how to apply the rules when I'm incorporeal: are my attacks affecting at a 100% corporeal creatures?

Prime32
2015-05-29, 02:11 PM
Thanks for the clarification. Do know that the ki blast has a range increment of 60ft, would that change your answer about far shot?Range =/= range increment.

Weapons have a range increment - they can be used against targets up to 10 range increments away (for a projectile weapon) or 5 (for a thrown weapon), but inflict a penalty on attack rolls for each one.
Spells simply have a maximum range, and can't be used beyond it.

As for the list, it uses either spells or dragon mag to enable ranged attacks, those are two things I won't use, sadly.You could always get a custom item with the spell built into it.

Oh, I almost forgot, I have another question regarding Ki blast.

At ECL 15, I'm going to have the shadow hand maneuver: one with shadow. This little pupy will blast me into the etheral plane for one round, as an immediate action. Wouldn't Ki blast be the perfect tool to attack corporeal foe then? I'm seriously not sure.Sorry, no.

A force effect originating on the Material Plane extends onto the Ethereal Plane, so that a wall of force blocks an ethereal creature, and a magic missile can strike one (provided the spellcaster can see the ethereal target). Gaze effects and abjurations also extend from the Material Plane to the Ethereal Plane. None of these effects extend from the Ethereal Plane to the Material Plane.
EDIT: One with Shadow makes you incorporeal, not ethereal. You can ki blast fine, but likewise enemies can still attack you.

Catalysis
2015-05-29, 02:14 PM
Ah, I will take this into consideration. Your help is appreciated:smallsmile: