PDA

View Full Version : Adivce: researching in prep for buying a car

JeenLeen
2015-05-29, 12:26 PM
Having recently had a baby, we're looking to upgrade our car to one that runs better and is roomier. We'll mainly looking at a Honda CR-V or similar cars from other makes.
I post here to ask suggestions for fairly unbiased websites, to help determine what is a reasonable rate. I don't trust dealership rates, and I know little about cars. Also, honestly, my ignorance leads me to procrastinate about this and feel unmotivated, which is making my Google-fu weak.

Anyone here have any sites they trust, or any car buffs in the Playground have suggestions on reasonable costs for new/slightly used CR-Vs?

Thanks for any help. I'll probably do my own searching soon, but I appreciate any initial aid.

TheThan
2015-05-29, 12:49 PM
Dunno about websites, there’s probably some sort of buyer’s guide to cars somewhere on the net. Google is your friend. Also CarFax is your friend if you’re looking at a used car. Lets see. Aside from cost and gas mileage; recalls is a thing, study up on whatever car(s) you’re looking at and see if they’ve had any recalls. That’s a big issue nowadays.

I can personally vouch for the CR-V they’re nice mid range SUVs. They’re good for one child, maybe two. My only real complaint is that the visibility out the back is fairly poor. I haven’t quite figured out why, it has something to do with the way the windows are designed. Ours has a backup camera which is very helpful. Since I learned to drive on an 80s era Toyota, the backup camera takes getting used to. It’s pointed downward at an angle so you’re not looking directly back behind you. But that’s so you don’t back over the family dog or some such. If you go the CR-V rout, get one with All Wheel Drive, that extra traction is nice in wet conditions (not that the car threatens to tip over or anything, but just extra traction in the rain is really nice).

A bigger option is the Honda Pilot, which is a CR-V on steroids. It’s comparable to a suburban. It's great if you’re a big guy (or gal) or just and want extra room for baby accessories. Very useful in that regards, a friend of mine has one and they love it he and his wife aren't tiny and it's perfect for them and their two little ones.

Also congrats on the baby.

Cristo Meyers
2015-05-29, 01:38 PM
Kelly Blue Book would give you a decent idea of what a particular car is worth, but not necessarily what you'll end up paying.

One thing you could do that we did last time we bought a car: find one that is represented a multiple different dealerships in the area. A lot of dealerships will actually haggle and negotiate with you online, which makes it really easy to both play them off of one another and walk away if they refuse to play ball.

If you're trading an old car in and you have a CarMax in the area, run it by there first. They'll give you a trade-in offer that's good for a week or so. That way, if the dealership tries to low-ball you on the trade in you can point to their offer.

dmaxno
2015-05-29, 02:16 PM
I agree with Cristo. The Kelly blue book (or was it Kelley?) is your best bet.
When I was selling my Subaru Forester, a year ago (in the SouthWest), one of the serious shoppers was a small family of three who were very disappointed in their CR-V. It had some transmission problem, which was going to cost them as much as the car itself. I think theirs was a 2004.
I knew some people who were looking at cars and they did look for customer reviews, but I do not have a website (Last I bought a car was in 2007). I recommend that, once you have narrowed your decision, then you check for user reviews for that car and see if they have a recurring problem (If the model hasn't changed much, make sure to look for slightly older models too).
I will say that I was very happy with my Subaru Forester; I only sold it because I was moving overseas. Sadly it is hard to find used Subarus in certain areas. Also, if you don't care for all wheel drive, then it may not be worth paying for it (so another car would be a better value).
Again, KBB.com is the first place to look, then confirm by searching user reviews or repair forums for cars like the one you like or a bit older.
Good luck.

TheThan
2015-05-29, 04:51 PM
Yeah, our CR-V is much newer than that, and we haven’t had any problems with it. Drove it across the USA (California to Tennessee and back) and it preformed like a champ so yeah. It could just be the age. They don’t make cars to last like they used to.

Oh that could be an option. Find yourself a classic station wagon or other family car. They’re huge and are made to last. I don’t expect them running more than a brand new car would either although you might have to eat higher maintenance costs, old machines being what they are. That will have to depend on how strong the classic car sub-culture in your area is. (plus, classics are cool).

If you’re looking at other people’s opinions, you should avoid anything from the manufacturers or the dealers, they’re trying to sell you a car after all. Look at third party opinions.

edit
OK we have had one problem with the car. One of the cells in the battery went bad. But i do live in a very hot place. Extreme temperatures (hot or cold) KILL batteries. We had it replaced and Sears broke the electronics on the battery cable that attaches to the positive terminal. (made a big angry thread about that), but we got it dealt with promptly and the guys at the dealership's shop were excellent.

Oddman80
2015-06-08, 11:42 AM
Edmunds (http://www.edmunds.com/) is a great site.
i found a couple of articles written by former care salesmen to be incredibly helpful in getting me a good price when buying both new and used cars from the dealership.
Top Shopping Tips From a Former Car Salesman (http://www.edmunds.com/car-buying/top-shopping-tips-from-a-former-car-salesman.html)
Confessions of a Car Salesman (http://www.edmunds.com/car-buying/confessions-of-a-car-salesman.html)

Peelee
2015-06-08, 04:54 PM
I'll second Edmunds being a great resource. Without even specifically looking for that site, when I was looking around for getting my last car, the best and most informative advice pages I got were consistently from Edmunds. It's like the Tom's Hardware of cars.

LadyMeyers
2015-06-21, 09:34 PM
TrueCar.com is also handy.

But definitely request e-quotes from local dealers (3+ is good),=. Once you have answers from them, you can go back to all of them and see if they'll beat your lowest. It might result in a few extra days of back and forth, but you'll pretty much have stuff nailed down before you walk in the dealership door.

Then you'll just have to negotiate the trade-in, and not both.

Philistine
2015-06-21, 10:36 PM
I'll third Edmunds. I worked for a GMAC subsidiary for a few years, and our office made extensive use of the Edmunds valuations for used cars when determining appropriate loan amounts. There's also a good amount of general consumer information on different cars, by year, make, and model.