PDA

View Full Version : Warforged: Alter Self

Ruethgar
2015-05-29, 01:23 PM
So I saw mentioned over here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?417067-Can-an-intelligent-magic-item-acquire-class-levels) to be a Warforged and Alter Self into an intelligent item and I was wondering if this would actually work with a null HD "creature." If so I'll be making a character or two around the idea. Ready an action to attack if someone attacks with you, double strike! Or Still Silent heal the target if you want to troll the wielder.

WhamBamSam
2015-05-29, 01:52 PM
I don't know about intelligent items, but they can certainly Alter Self into Animated Objects of up to large size, which should allow you to turn into a sword or what have you.

Red Fel
2015-05-29, 02:33 PM
Agreeing with WhamBamSam.

I think Intelligent Items are a particular and unique type of thing, but Constructs and Animated Objects are totally kosher. That's the concept around which Gazebo Jones (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=9823824&postcount=132) was built, after all.

Ruethgar
2015-05-29, 03:02 PM
From the SRD

Intelligent items can actually be considered creatures because they have Intelligence, Wisdom, and Charisma scores. Treat them as constructs.

This is why I ask. They are considered constructs which should allow alter self to work, you just have no movement modes, but you still have your own strength and dex meaning you can still attack somehow without moving. It is weird.

Edit: Also I think I'ld rather be able to customize something together with a Life-Shaped construct to Alter Self into as opposed to just an animated object. Quick and easy dragon that way, or tree, or pretty much anything small to large.

VariSami
2015-05-29, 03:55 PM
I am not sure if it is completely kosher within the official rules - the quotation above would lead to interpret that as a real possibility - but I wanted to point out that Monte Cook's (Complete) Book of Eldritch Might has rules for advancing intelligent items with levels. Using those 3rd party rules might make one's life easier concerning the implications of becoming an intelligent item. Then again, I believe Alter Self hardly provides anything special through becoming an intelligent item.

Ruethgar
2015-05-29, 04:08 PM
If you become a Create Device based intelligent item, its "magical" effects are purely physical(potentially gross physical qualities) and not listed as Special Qualities or Special Attacks since item have neither. Even without that sort of cheese, the typical Intelligent Item Lesser and Greater Powers would be accessible.