PDA

View Full Version : Learning DFI invocations as a Warlock

Extra Anchovies
2015-05-29, 02:32 PM
As the title. Can it be done without multiclassing or DM fiat? I specifically want Draconic Knowledge.

PseudoPanda
2015-05-29, 02:39 PM
It's an online source and you need to be at least level 11 but Infernal knowledge from this page (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/frcc/20070613) does just that

Psyren
2015-05-29, 03:58 PM
Infernal Adept actually, but the link works.

Bad Wolf
2015-05-29, 07:19 PM
Its two levels lower than the highest one you have though.

AmberVael
2015-05-29, 09:21 PM
Honestly, you'd probably be just fine having Extra Invocation allow access to an invocation from any list, similar to how expanded knowledge (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/psionicFeats.htm#expandedKnowledge) works. As it stands Infernal Adept is trash.

But if your only option is existing stuff, Infernal Adept is the only way.

Invader
2015-05-29, 10:33 PM
Does it hurt your build that much to just take a 1 lvl DFA dip? You get dragon touched, a breath weapon, and draconic knowledge which isn't terrible for a dip.

Mr Adventurer
2015-05-30, 08:37 AM
Does it hurt your build that much to just take a 1 lvl DFA dip? You get dragon touched, a breath weapon, and draconic knowledge which isn't terrible for a dip.

Yes, it is.

Thurbane
2015-05-30, 05:29 PM
Codex Advocare (EtCR p.212) and a high enough UMD check to pass for a Warlock will let you grab a least Warlock Invocation...

Actually, re-reading the item description, it just says you know "one more least invocation than normal", it actually doesn't specify Warlock or DFA. It also doesn't specify you need to be a Warlock to use it, although it is strongly implied in the fluff.

AmberVael
2015-05-30, 05:42 PM
Codex Advocare (EtCR p.212) and a high enough UMD check to pass for a Warlock will let you grab a least Warlock Invocation...

Actually, re-reading the item description, it just says you know "one more least invocation than normal", it actually doesn't specify Warlock or DFA. It also doesn't specify you need to be a Warlock to use it, although it is strongly implied in the fluff.

Yeah, I thought of the codex myself, but since it just increases your invocations known rather than giving you knowledge of any invocation it means you're still selecting from your normal list.

Thurbane
2015-05-30, 05:48 PM
Yeah, I thought of the codex myself, but since it just increases your invocations known rather than giving you knowledge of any invocation it means you're still selecting from your normal list.

I'd tend to agree, although the wording is kind of vague enough that you could argue the point (the wording in the Extra Invocation feat is a lot more specific, for example).

Also, UMD checks might allow you to get past that if you can convince the Codex you belong to a different class.

Invader
2015-05-30, 05:50 PM

Yes, it is.

It's not a terrible dip at all.

Pluto!
2015-05-30, 05:55 PM
A level gaining a Least Invocation, a feat that doesn't do anything and a breath weapon you won't use when you could spend a level gaining a Dark Invocation and improving the Eldritch Blast that you will use makes for a pretty bad dip.

Invader
2015-05-30, 06:10 PM
A level gaining a Least Invocation, a feat that doesn't do anything and a breath weapon you won't use when you could spend a level gaining a Dark Invocation and improving the Eldritch Blast that you will use makes for a pretty bad dip.

It depends on what you're trying to do. A dip to gain a +6 to every knowledge check untrained plus spellcraft isn't to bad.

Pluto!
2015-05-30, 06:34 PM
It depends on what you're trying to do. A dip to gain a +6 to every knowledge check untrained plus spellcraft isn't to bad.
Maybe we just draw the line in different places in terms of what's "too bad," but when you're just getting a numerical boost to skills at will never get a character killed, you're talking NPC class-caliber multiclassing.

Invader
2015-05-30, 08:19 PM
Maybe we just draw the line in different places in terms of what's "too bad," but when you're just getting a numerical boost to skills at will never get a character killed, you're talking NPC class-caliber multiclassing.

Not all optimization involves hitting things hard.

ZamielVanWeber
2015-05-30, 08:31 PM

Unless your DM is a fan of wacky monsters; knowledge skills may be literally your only way to find out anything about the monsters you encounter. I wouldn't say it is the greatest dip ever, but if you need knowledge skills it is highly effective.

Ger. Bessa
2015-05-31, 08:50 AM
Was there a reprint of the Extra Invocation feat that specified the origin of invocations ? Because the Complete Arcane didn't and Draconic Knowledge is an invocation.

An item that grant an invocation to a character able to use invocations should as well work, unless specified. Lurks can use psionic powers from psions that way.

torrasque666
2015-05-31, 11:02 AM
Was there a reprint of the Extra Invocation feat that specified the origin of invocations ? Because the Complete Arcane didn't and Draconic Knowledge is an invocation.

An item that grant an invocation to a character able to use invocations should as well work, unless specified. Lurks can use psionic powers from psions that way.
My copy says that its from the list available to you. So I think that means that if its a warlock, its the warlock list. if its dfa, its the dfa list.