PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Xenotheurgy: How well would it hold up?

Xuldarinar
2015-05-29, 04:00 PM
Though there is the notable absence of the far realm in pathfinder, which would require some refluffing on top of any minor mechanical changes, how well would the True Xenotheurgist (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?122103-Xenotheurgy-Far-Realms-magic-system), a class brewed up by Realms of Chaos, function within pathfinder? What flavor would be suitable for the class with the absence of the far realm? I know this is a homebrew thing, but I didn't think this question was quite suited to that sub-forum.

Psyren
2015-05-29, 04:22 PM
Pathfinder's version of the Far Realm is the "Dark Tapestry," i.e. the black space between the stars. This is where all the Lovecraftian nasties, non-Euclidean physics and other Far Realm goodies live in PF setting. So rather than being at the edge of the universe, it's more like they're "in between" everything. This is pretty scary since it means they're a heck of a lot closer to the planet, in an astronomical sense, than we'd probably like - after all, the entire solar system (including Golarion itself) exists in a space between stars, if you think about it. Whatever veil is keeping them out - or perhaps more accurately keeping them from noticing us - is thinner in some places than others; in particular, the last planet in Golarion's solar system (Aucturn, the Stranger - analagous to Pluto) is rumored to have a thinner veil between it and the Tapestry than most other places on the Material.

Xuldarinar
2015-05-29, 04:36 PM
That certainly does fill in the matter of flavor, and I agree that it is much more distressing that such a thing is even on the same plane of existence rather than being beyond what is traditionally thought of reality. Certainly makes the horrors seem to be much more a present threat. Though I cannot help but wonder, the Shadow Plane echoes the Material, but does it possess an echo the dark tapestry?

Anyways, that leaves in question of the class's functionality in terms of pathfinder.

Psyren
2015-05-29, 04:57 PM
It's in the same plane, but at the same time it's not. There's something (thankfully) keeping the Great Old Ones out, or at least keeping them from crossing over totally. Of course, even the fragment that does make it over is a Mythic challenge, is capable of granting spells to worshipers etc.

The Plane of Shadow likely echoes it like everything else, which would explain some of the chaos and evil that can be found there. A simple reflection after all would logically be just like the material - good in some places, bad in others, but generally hospitable and making sense. The Plane of Shadow meanwhile is generally inhospitable and pretty much everything gets warped and more savage there, even reflections of benign things - shadow buildings get twisted Tim Burton-style, shadow creatures are more hostile etc. Reflecting the Dark Tapestry, even a smidgeon of it, would help to explain this discrepancy.

That's mostly what I can offer on the fluff front - when I get more time I'll read the Xenotheurgist, I was just helping with the Far Realm bit for now.